• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I haven't really tried with Bowser but I have done it with Luigi before.

Although I was briefly practicing jab- pivot utilt with t sticking, but instead of pressing down, I was using that window to buffer the pivot. Does this mean it's not viable, due to me not cancelling the jab?
Hmm, I'm not sure. I've never tried tilt sticking with Bowser because I like to keep my c-stick handy for quick fsmashes.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I found jab1 to jab1 pretty easy.

I don't think jab- pivot utilt is that good, simply because the range is poor (to hit a grounded opponent that is), they'd have to be really close for it to connect.

I always assumed T sticking would be better for Bowser, because he relies on tilts more than smashes, and T sticking makes it easier to pivot tilts.

Then again, I think B sticking would be good on Bowser too. FF WF might be a good mixup to escape juggles, I know Luigis like to FF Cyclone to do that. Plus retreating, and reverse BB could be a nice KO trick.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I know some Bowsers have tested tilt sticking in order to buffer tilts out of GRs, but I personally find it pretty easy to tilt without the need of a tilt stick. It's much easier to dodge an attack and counterattack with fsmash for me by simply flicking the c-stick.

Jab to pivot uptilt doesn't have much use...although it would be pretty cool to be jabbing onstage while someone is recovering and then predict their horizontal recovery with a pivot uptilt, haha.

And as far as WB BB, I'm pretty sure WB doesn't affect BB that much. I've never tested it, but I'm pretty sure I've read it on these boards at one point. Plus, Bowser Bomb doesn't really come out THAT much to warrant a WB setup. As for Fire Breath, I pretty much only use it against spacies and people who can't SDI, haha. It can also be handy for baiting MK to use Mach Tornado.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Speaking of edgeguarding, has anyone tried punishing GUAs with pivot BB?

When they grab the edge, perhaps you could run right to the edge, to bait their GUA, then turn around and move out of the GUA and pivot BB?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Never tried it since most getup attacks that are actually used are relatively fast, and Bowser Bomb is super slow. When someone's on the ledge, I'm either dtilting, ftilting, fsmashing, Fire Breathing, or simply standing away.

Or jabbing to anything if your name is GNES.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Fair enough, just to make sure you didn't misunderstand me, I didn't mean wait for the GUA then react to it. I meant that you predict it, and input BB as they input GUA, so you should be already above them when their GUA hotbox comes out.

By the way do you guys TJ? I know it's good for WF OOS, but I find it hinders me in other areas.

But anyway that's enough rambling from me. I'm just considering maiming him so I have alot of questions.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, I'm on the same page as you about predicting the getup attacks. I'm just saying it's risky--if you miss, you're literally a sitting duck. But if you had the timing down, that would be pretty nifty at mid percents or so.

Not quite sure off the top of my head what TJ stands for. I gotta say, I'm not one for abbreviating much, haha.

And questions are good! With a character as underrepresented as Bowser, I feel it's vital for the community as a whole to ask questions so we can all hopefully learn from it and grow. I know my Bowser's improved dramatically by participating on the boards.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
By TJ I mean tap jump lol.

I'm not exactly sure how risky the pivot the pivot BB is. Initallty I thought, they can just jump and aerial you, but then I remembered that you'll be right next to them on the edge, so they probably won't hop up, because they'll expect you to them immediately hit in their jump frames (I always used to spike people with Ganondorf like that), so they'll probably go for the GUA.

I'm trying to think of the worst thing that could happen. They could hop-aerial, but as I said, I think it's unlikely given the fact they'll expect you to intercept that. They could just hang on the edge, in which case they get either a free GUA or aerial on you. But at the same time, you can then just dtilt them next time, if they're anticipating the pivot BB again.

By the way, if you BB to the ledge, whilst someone is on it, does it knock them off?

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
BB only KTO when their LI has run out. After that, BB will KTO and then GTE, NP. However, if the opponent still has LI, BB won't do any damage and he'll just PTHD, killing himself on the BBL.

BBQ

EDIT: oops, i guess i should translate that for people who dont speak the dre lingo:
By the way, if you BB to the ledge, whilst someone is on it, does it knock them off?
"yes"

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Oh Phiddlesticks, never change.

I use tap jump, easier for upb OoS and also helps with GR -> uair on Jiggs. It really doesn't matter whether you use it or not, it comes down to personal preference.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I have tap jump on as well, largely because I've never been able to perform attacks from the ledge without using the control stick to jump back up. It's an old Melee habit, haha.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I have tap jump on whenever I use Bowser, but I'm starting to get into the habit of turning tap jump off for every other character.

And what the **** are all these abbreviations? <_<

Hobobloke

Atemon Game

And what the **** are all these abbreviations? <_<
Bowser Bomb only Knocks Them Off when their Ledge Invincibility has run out. After that, Bowser Bomb will Knock Them Off and then Grab The Edge, No Problem. However, if the opponent still has Ledge Invincibility, Bowser Bomb won't do any damage and he'll just Plummet To His Death, killing himself on the Bottom Blast Line.
There ya go Limit.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
thats actually 99% accurate, even the plummet to his death part. im talking like, word for word what i was thinking when i was typing it up. only 99% though because you forgot to translate BBQ.........

i also always use tap jump

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
BB is definitely good when used sparingly for obvious reasons. As an edge guard, I'm too scared to try it haha.

Also how to I fight ROBs? Other then PS everything.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Calibur, pressure R.O.B. as much as possible. Get in his face.

That's pretty much it, haha.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Do you guys think it's worth it to hold on the gyro and rely on klaw/fortress/firebreath to do damage or does Bowser really need his A moves to have a chance?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Do you guys think it's worth it to hold on the gyro and rely on klaw/fortress/firebreath to do damage or does Bowser really need his A moves to have a chance?
I prefer having my A moves. Gyro's easy to shield, anyway.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
If you get gyro just throw it at him and follow up, you'll really want your A moves much more than gyro. Like Zig said it's fairly easy to shield anyway and the whole going away when shielded makes it meh.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Vex in 09 and such.
Now just check out Zigsta, King_Kong, Limit and MrEh.. And erm I might be missing someone. Sorry for the vague answer but there is just no constistend like obviously best Bowser out there.
Limits busy with School, King_Kong and MrEhs regions are annoying and Zigsta also plays PT.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I would add Ixis to that list as well, but that's basically it.

I haven't seen anything new from Flayl... :[

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
basically because no one was really proving bowser's worth.

vex was pulling sans with bowser and moving him up, but then he stopped using him, and no one pulled the dead weight afterwards. i don't think any of us are really in the position to do so at the moment.

i know i have to wait about a year (finishing school) before i can really go national and things like that. literally all I can do is play in New York.

oh, and people thought he was the second worst character in the game. kinda helped.

B!squick

Smash Master
why did bowser not stay mid tier (obviously im asking for opinions from the bowser not BBR)
See my signature.

EDIT: Why isn't it showing up? :/

EDIT2: Fine, be that way.

I see the bottom of the cast panning out about like this:

Low tier - Jigglypuff/Yoshi/Link/Lucas/Samus/Mario/Captain Falcon/Bowser
Ganon Tier - Ganondorf
EDIT3: And NOW it shows. D:<

B!squick

Smash Master
Anything that's not CPU or wifi related, really. I guess the best way is to find a friend with poor spacing habits so you have the most opportunities for grabs.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I wish there was a way to set a CPU to do nothing but airdodge in training mode. That would make it much easier to know if my timing's right. That and it wouldn't require a roomie to set aside time for me.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Alcohol tastes nasty to me. XD

It's all about water and Gatorade, baby.

Top Bottom