• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Knitting a Yoshi Chart - MU Portal

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Does anyone of you guys know a good villager on video?
If possible against Yoshi?

I need to learn that MU asap.

~Rainbow Mika

Smash Cadet
NNID
rigobfd64
3DS FC
0361-6812-0263
To be honest, i hate Falcon players since N64 days (that usmash elbow still haunts me) but is funny that i actually use him (because manliness).
in this game, like someone sayed, is about skill, if the falcon just dash attack and random raptor boosts to uair, then is pretty easy to take advantage.
I use a lot of dtilts and eggs for zoning, for damage i go for grabs & pummels and for KO's nair is the best.
A good falcon is tough, Falcon Kick punish rolls and he can start damage with uair or nair after it.
Fsmash is the stuff that makes falcon scary too, the range is good and has good power, also the utilt is dangerous since now is a meteor.
The objective here is try to keep him away with eggs, when he tries falcon kick or boost, just shield, no rolls, then punish.
And i would say, Shields & Eggs are the main game here.

ppale

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pattrikx
3DS FC
5000-2740-1593
Anyone having trouble against ROB? I feel like I can do damage, but when it comes to getting close enough to finish him, I can't get in a clean hit. His up-air really catches me (especially on battlefield, where it's tough to get to the floor with someone under you), and the combo of his down-b as an item and his quickly-recharging laser really make approaches awkward, and when I do approach, his spinning attacks are easy to get trapped into.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I'm constantly playing against one of the most versatile and strongest Villagers i guess.

As soon as the WiiU version is available, I'll be able to post a ****load of games for you guys.

~Rainbow Mika

Smash Cadet
NNID
rigobfd64
3DS FC
0361-6812-0263
Currently i've been meeting a lot of ganons, is not that hard to fight him, but one mistake and is game over.
Other one i kinda have trouble is Wario, i know how to get him when he's spamming that annoying bike, but between his usmash, bite, weird vectoring and waft makes it kinda hard to beat him. (even i mostly kill him whit grab release usmash).

Anyone having trouble against ROB? I feel like I can do damage, but when it comes to getting close enough to finish him, I can't get in a clean hit. His up-air really catches me (especially on battlefield, where it's tough to get to the floor with someone under you), and the combo of his down-b as an item and his quickly-recharging laser really make approaches awkward, and when I do approach, his spinning attacks are easy to get trapped into.

I also have trouble against ROBs, his aerials are the worst part at least for me, When he wants to use Gyro, shield and grab it, play some mind games and when rob makes a mistake, throw that thing. Beam is another case, is fast and do good damage, shield or jump that and throw eggs, is better than rush for an attack

As for Uair (i never played Robs in battlefield) but most ROBS go for dthrow to uair, at low % you can't dodge it, the spin is best to block it, even if it eats tons of shield, but you can punish after it.

Now for offensive, grab a lot, throw a lot of eggs and don't rush too much, ROB's aerials are strong (even if they are laggy) and his usmash and up-throw are his best kill moves, dsmash has good reach also, so don't try to get too close triyng to smash him.
Triying to kill him, my bets are nair, uair, fair and usmash.
I use Nair at the start of a jump, Fair is after a dash attack and uair is if he bounces on the ground, usmash is tricky, but i use it when Rob tries dair too close on the ground and his startup makes him vulnerable.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Villager gets the respect he/she deserves. Villager is seen as a gimmick character, but can be downright infuriating when used right. I played a really good one tonight, doing a lot of the stuff the Villager in that video was doing.

The one I played also had a tree up at all times if he had time, using the tree as a shield against eggs and having the axe at the ready. His pocket isn't very helpful against Yoshi, but he will try to keep you at bay with nonstop Fairs and lloid rockets.

I had some success with Fairs and the occasional Dair, but it is really hard to attack him from above or below because I was getting wrecked by turnips, of all things. I was knocked straight out of a Yoshi Bomb by turnips. I wanted to keep playing him to learn the matchup better but he bailed on me. All I can say is, be patient. Villager feeds off of your frustration, and everytime I started to get frustrated and bumrush him, I just fell into his trap. :/

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Watching that first match just seemed like villager both using the stage and the fact it's a huge character he's up against to his advantage.

Bring up the big character cause most of em are slow and of course big, so all most characters have to do is the keep away game and spam projectiles all day and hit their panic buttons with aerials or tilts to slap em away if they get near.
Not discrediting Villager and saying he's bad, just saying it's bad for like ganon bowser etc. Once he switched to Diddy he did infinitely better and even won the set. (or 2-2 I guess, whatever)

I can see him being annoying for Yoshi but dunno bout him beating us to be honest.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Villager just has so much spam to deal with, and since he is a rarely used character on For Glory it's hard to get good practice against him. He has to be the most annoying character in the history of Smash. Let him get under your skin and you're one step closer to defeat.

I think you have to take the lead early against Villager and keep it, forcing him to approach. Trying to play catch up against a smart Villager is very difficult, and the more desperate you get the more you play into his hand.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Villager is blatantly annoying. However, to Yoshi's advantage. our projectile is a lobbing one. In a setting where the stage doesn't interfere with the match-up, we can just lob eggs over his projectiles and into his camp site. If he gets more aggressive, THEN you can fight him more regularly. Just watch out for his turnips and junk since they out-reach us.

The match is pretty even for the most part in my mind. A good Villager vs. a good Yoshi is gonna be a nail biter.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I think we beat villager tbh, but i haven't played any great villagers yet so eh.

Just gonna say though, don't get baited into trying to punish watering can because a growing tree kills about as early as a falling one. I had no idea and lost stocks to it a few times lol

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I think we beat villager tbh, but i haven't played any great villagers yet so eh.

Just gonna say though, don't get baited into trying to punish watering can because a growing tree kills about as early as a falling one. I had no idea and lost stocks to it a few times lol
Trust me, it's a close match. Especially with the auto-trip tree (bogus move imo...). Those turnips are extremely good moves. Hell, most of his hit-boxes are rather strong. His recovery is also really good.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
anybody know of any good Rosalina vs yoshi videos to watch? Trying to get better at the MU.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The only thing I can find is this from what I watched a week or so ago. Don't think there's any others out there and even this video isn't a very good example.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
When I play Ros it's eggs, eggs, eggs. Eggs are great at taking out Luma. Whenever she shoots her Luma toward me, that's exactly what I want. Ros is nerfed without Luma, who takes a lot of damage for her, so I jump over Luma and go straight for her. Obvious, I know, but it's effective. Watch out for her aerials. The disjointed hitboxes are ridiculous. I think this is a pretty even matchup, if not slightly in Yoshi's favor.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
I disagree on a couple of points stated here. For starters, Villager. Villager is indeed pretty annoying and he has something most people here seem to be either forgeting about or not taking into account. The tree. That green mean plant can eat eggs like a cowboy at sunrise. Its very sappling means trouble as getting close equals grave danger. The wathering can can push enough as to get us under the sappling and then pain ensures. Also, Lloyds are pretty resilent... I think an two eggs or three are needed to bring them things down.
Villager's "camp"-ing game is not to be taken ligthly... specially when figthing someone well-trained in the arts of spacing and zoning. I consider myself a pretty competent Yoshi, yet I still curse the day when I have to fight Villagers. Also, dem turnips have quite the priority...
I am not so sure how to rate this matchup, but it aint a walk trough the park, thats for sure. Maybe 50-50, debatable 60-40 but dunno on who´se favor.

As for Robin, I have a few things to say as well. I main them both, so I know a couple of things about them as well and I can say approaching Robin is no easy task. Needles to say, doing so from the front is no safe bet. Arcfire is nasty and thunder controls horizontal movement quite well. Also, the air is not perfect either. Most people tend to overlook Robin´s up-tilt. I tell ya guys, it is a GOOD Anti-air move, it comes quick, has good priority and a far reaching hitbox.

On another point regarding Robin, a good tactician will never simply stay put. I for one am always trying to capitalize the air. Robin's ground game is not that good outside proyectile and zoning, however in the air robin is a diferent beast. US-air (Up-smash air, the one with the Levin sword) is devastating, killing at very early 100% percentages, comes fast and has a huge arc. If unprepared or baited, this will most likely greet any poorly choosed air normal Yoshi tries, and saddly, Yoshi is pretty dependant of these.

Yoshi has undoubly better aproach and combo tools, however Robin has the right weapons to stand his ground and even punish careless Yoshi's on their own offensive game. On the other hand, Yoshi greatly outmanuvers Robin in both ground and air and also has a much better grab game than Robin, these are the areas than need to be exploited. First of all, being unpreditable... Robin's love predictability and will punish them hard with Levin's attacks and well placed Thorons, however they have a hard time adjusting to variability... making hard guesses is not how a strategist works around, specially one that is rather sluggish, specially when it comes to grabs. Throwing grabs now and then alongside some multihitting blows will really put Robins on their toes.

I still do think Yoshi has a slight advantage overall over Robin because in general speed is more rewarding, however, not by much. Maybe 60-40 in yoshi's favour at best. I do believe that most of these matchups are really stage dependant as well...

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I was saying a lot of the same things about Villager. The people who don't give him credit are the ones who have yet to play a good villager. The lloid rockets are hard to blow up with eggs, but I can remember a couple of times blowing them up with one egg that was a direct hit.

As for Robin's anti-air up tilt, do any of you jump above the opponent to bait an up tilt or up smash only to do a quick double jump into Yoshi bomb? It's not something you can do a lot, but it works well if you use it sparingly.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
As much **** as I gave that yoshi for being boring, that is more or less exactly how playing against rosalina works. Its not fun, theres not much flashing it up, its just a lot of egging and waiting.

Also i've heard it said that you should focus luma if they get separated but imo you should focus rosalina. Luma isn't like nana. Luma can be controlled, and even if you kill it, you still didn't cripple Rosalina. You just made approaching her easier for about 10 seconds. Like if you can get a quick dsmash on luma to push if off the stage, go for it, but if you can manage to grab rosalina i'd go for that 9 times out of 10.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well with the nerfs to Rosalina, she prolly won't be much of a problem for us now. Even if the only one was luma 13 seconds somehow, just that nerf alone would be enough to help us.
Well no, be able to help a lot more MUs.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
So I played a really good sonic today and got rekt. Heres the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIxIB7rjIMU&feature=youtu.be

Any advice would be much appreciated!
From what I saw bad habit wise, I fall with Nair alot and need to stop

Heres what I learned from it.

His B-throw kills around 130% with no DI, if he back throws you press up.
Throwing eggs helps a little, but hes so fast that if you spam eggs you will get punished, so use them wisely.
Maybe we could use SH Dair to punish his side B approach? (Needs testing)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There really isn't much to do since fighting Sonic is all about guessing/challenging his movements. And since our pivot grab was nerfed we can't really be spamming it like we used too in brawl when he's charging his two spindashes.

You played fine against him and using Nair most of your landings is a good thing cause it means you're not in the Brawl habit of airdodging into the ground, you also used Neutral B sometimes which again is good against him if some Sanic's are rushing into you without a thought of the consequences.
Spamming eggs is fine when he's in the air, since it's some kinda snake syndrome whenever they're in the air or offstage they'll always go all the way to the top and Dair afterwards. So again spamming eggs or even trying to guess where he is and landing a lucky Uair would be good.

As for the SH Dair, he has invincibility when he's taking off for his dashes (small jump or even just zooming across the stage), I wouldn't try it. Even DA was a better option since it clanks, so just spam Jab once you two do clank and pray for the best.
It's prolly not good to go rushing to Sonic when he's charging one of his dashes, that's what he wants, don't challenge it and just try to get him to move/stop charging it whether it be throwing eggs (unsafe, but infinitely better than jumping in and trying to hit him) or just let him sit there forever if he intends to do that for 8 minutes :^)

What sucks is this time around it's the Sonic mains playing the better character since he can not only rack up damage faster than in brawl from his dashes thus getting rewarded for just using those two moves until it lands on somebody to get 20+% if it hits them, they also have more kill moves now especially since DI isn't really gonna help us like it did in brawl. It was at least more even in the previous game due to the fact we were so ****ing heavy, we could do what Sonic does in Smash 4 but with spamming Pivot grab until it works and Sawlneek couldn't kill worth ****.

Last edited:

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I was playing a guy named Karma who was pretty good with a lot of different characters. He kept switching up on me while I stuck with Yoshi and Duck Hunt. I was getting the best of him in most cases (when I wasn't SDing...stupid egg roll) but they were really fun back and forth matches. Then he pulls out a vicious Lucina...and I just can't beat him with Yoshi. Duck Hunt got the job done for me, but seriously, I'm thinking Lucina (and maybe Marth) are among the worst matchups for Yoshi. Great spacing and amazing precision with the counter, that dang counter, made her very difficult to approach. I mean to tell you, he was using the counter at just the right times but didn't abuse it; I couldn't bait him into using it. And I kept getting hit by that dancing blade attack.

Where do we even begin with this tough matchup?!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Bait out their attacks and punish (backwards short hop Fair :D) throw eggs, use egg lay against them if possible and/or grabs if you can get in, and don't get above them if you want to avoid getting juggled.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Egg lay doesn't seem very practical in this matchup up since her sword reaches farther. Most ot Yoshi's great aerial game is also negated by the quick, long reaching sword swipes. I can deal with slower sword characters, but the fast ones are very dominant in this matchup. And an on-point counter ruins gameplans.

Blade1125

Smash Rookie
I faced a really good Ike in FG yesterday and I couldn't do anything about it, maybe it was me being impatient with dash attacks or egg toss but nothing I did seemed to affect Ike with his N-air and Fair breaking my projectiles or approach.

Also does anyone have any tips for facing a spammy Link? For some reason I'm having alot of trouble against this character.

Also if anyone can answer, what are yoshi's best kill moves in order? I personally feel its F-Smash, then U-smash, then Uair, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything when trying to go for a kill in these matches

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Would it be a solid idea to have individual threads for Matchups? So that people can go to the one they specifically want to know about and get all the info needed? It's not necessary and I'm not against this, just an idea I'm throwing out that related to the thread I started. :p

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
In the Rosalina boards the mod there made a Matchup thread for every single character.
Bit excessive and all it did was basically give him +50 in post count.

So no, there's no need to flood our boards with that many threads when the game is still fresh and not many new yoshi's know how to discuss without for glory only experience or just not being knowledgeable or the older players still haven't played the game/not enough to be going into extensive knowledge just yet since there's no guaranteed best players for whatever character we'd prolly be discussing along with not so much tournament experience outside of ones that opted for 3ds.

We can make a thread or two a month but doing all 50+ right off the bat is too soon. Especially leaning on no even more because we're not as active as other boards. Even the current threads we have average 1-4 posts every month.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
In the Rosalina boards the mod there made a Matchup thread for every single character.
Bit excessive and all it did was basically give him +50 in post count.

So no, there's no need to flood our boards with that many threads when the game is still fresh and not many new yoshi's know how to discuss without for glory only experience or just not being knowledgeable or the older players still haven't played the game/not enough to be going into extensive knowledge just yet since there's no guaranteed best players for whatever character we'd prolly be discussing along with not so much tournament experience outside of ones that opted for 3ds.

We can make a thread or two a month but doing all 50+ right off the bat is too soon. Especially leaning on no even more because we're not as active as other boards. Even the current threads we have average 1-4 posts every month.
Yeah, I completely agree with this point. I was going for making it like, one at a time, and once the current one people were working on seemed good enough, people would move on to the next one. This way there's quality > quantity.(and again) I understand the purpose of this thread completely, I was only pitching the idea.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Anybody got Diddy advice? I've got a major tomorrow and my biggest threat is probably said character.
It's sad that our cool item play from Brawl's gone :(

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Anybody got Diddy advice? I've got a major tomorrow and my biggest threat is probably said character.
It's sad that our cool item play from Brawl's gone :(
I'd say to avoid rolling too much, and stay well spaced to avoid being grab combo'd. Use NAir when you're Down/Up Throwed if you can, it should allow you to live longer while also getting more damage.
For me, the hardest part of Diddy is actually getting a kill move off on him. The only one that is remotely simple to hit is BAir and even then, that requires a solid amount of % to kill...

That's all I can give as far as I know about the matchup, still studdying stuff like this :3

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'd say to avoid rolling too much, and stay well spaced to avoid being grab combo'd. Use NAir when you're Down/Up Throwed if you can, it should allow you to live longer while also getting more damage.
For me, the hardest part of Diddy is actually getting a kill move off on him. The only one that is remotely simple to hit is BAir and even then, that requires a solid amount of % to kill...

That's all I can give as far as I know about the matchup, still studdying stuff like this :3
Wait, you can Nair out of that? I'm saved <3

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
I struggle against good robs... big time... more than I did in Brawl.. So far Rob and Wario are my hardest match ups.. Diddy Kong isnt too bad if you play him like youre playing Rosa lina... air egg tossing, baiting grabs with shield neutral airing grab... etc

Wario eats all Eggs and Robs aerials prevent me from doing anything >_<

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Dang, Sonic is just...so good. Ugh. I feel like I'm moving in slow motion when I fight him. Offensively I have a hard time racking up damage and an even harder time landing a finishing blow. Defensively he pressures me from every angle and the moment I shield I get grabbed.

This is probably the one character that can humiliate me, because I feel like I have no chance against his speed. I guess the best bet is to use attacks that have very little ending lag, because whiffing an attack against Sonic, which will happen very often, allows him to run circles around you in the amount of time it takes you to recover.

I just wish I had some type of concrete strategy against him. I usually just wing it. Probably the best bet would be to counterpick and avoid this matchup entirely. Personally, I don't like taking that route, but I would imagine sword wielding characters would have a much easier time against the Blue Blur.

EsYosh

Smash Rookie
NNID
SmashYoshi
Am I the only one who have struggled with Mario? Maybe I'm just bad as a newcomer to competitive Smash but Mario really is the main MU I'm fearing as Yoshi. I can't seem to get him of the stage! He's easy to edgeguard but those Fsmashes and combos keep punishing my every attempt! XD I'm starting to form a good tactic but I'd like to hear from you first.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I've had a lot of success vs. Villager with Yoshi. I play a lot of Ganandorf on For Glory, and when I run into a decent Villager, I basically have to switch to Yoshi or I will throw my Wii into space. Grabbing through the tree during/after the first chop catches them off-guard. Stay out of Fair range and throw a lot of eggs. Don't let them bait you into jumping towards them over the stupid Lloyd, you'll faceplant into a sling shot. Recover high when you can to avoid gimmicks. Don't challenge turnips; they are a power greater than ours. Fair his recovery, since it's harder to Dair the balloons without hitting him in the process. He's tough, but totally manageable if you play safe.

Mario & Doc can be really frustrating to me as well at times, but SH egg-toss can safely beat their projectile spam, and one thing I've been doing is purposely missing some of the eggs when they start mashing cape. You can actually punish cape pretty well with a running grab, of all things. DI out of the retardo tilt and UpB combos as much as you can. Play aggressively offstage, just make sure you save your 2nd jump whenever you can.

YellowRello

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YellowRello
3DS FC
4141-4335-8308
bad matchups for me are Pikachu, Mario, Megman, Greninja, & villager isnt that bad. everyone else is pretty solid.

Top Bottom