• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Knitting a Yoshi Chart - MU Portal

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
Any advice on how to handle the Ness or G&W MU? They're the only two I've had trouble with recently. Mostly because trying to corner them / approach can be quite difficult... once I gain a lead and keep back, it isn't as hard, though.

For those that have a hard time with Mario, just make sure that you avoid small stages like Battlefield, and the MU should be pretty easy. Don't directly challenge his aerials with your own (especially Mario's Uair), and punish his ground options with short hop Nair. Do not ever let him grab you, and try to mix-up Nair with Egg Lay in-case he tries to shield grab. JC Egg Toss can also get you pretty far in this MU, so don't be afraid to use it a lot.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
For G&W, he has nothing that forces you to approach, so you can egg him until he makes a move. His dash attack is very punishable on block, so teach him to respect your shield. He can do nasty things when he grabs you, but you should be moving around enough and egging him so that getting a grab will be difficult. He's super light, so he shouldn't be very hard to kill. I think this MU is heavily in our favor. I don't think G&W is all that good in this game, unfortunately.

Ness can be tricky. Obviously, you don't want to get PK fired because that leads to big combos, but you should be staying in the air a lot anyways, so it shouldn't hit you often. Gimp him or meteor smash him when he's trying to recover. Just don't mess up and get hit by PKT2. I don't really know what else to say about this MU.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
If he connects a pk fire you can nair or jump out depending on how close he is. Don't double jump air dodge out though, its a waste of heavy armor. We can still kinda camp ness if we really wanted to. Don't approach him too recklessly because that makes his job easier. Egg lay often....idk I don't have anything other than that really general advice since i don't play it much

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
How do you guys deal with Mario's fireball pressure/the MU in general? This MU actually seems pretty hard when in the right hands. Staying away from the ledge is a definite as is recovering high, and you can DJ out of his Dthrow combo and strike back with Nair but that's all I've got.

Also did Slice ever get that Villager advice? I might be needing it in the next few days.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm having trouble with Mario too, though that's mostly because I haven't been playing the game lol
So I got nothing. As for villager I think he started dealing with him a bit better but nothing was said unless it was the skype group we discussed it without knowing.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Mario can definitely be a tough matchup. If he tries to do the down throw combo, you don't even have to DJ. Just Nair to break the combo and you'll trade damage to the point that a good Mario player will switch to down throw to up B.

As for the fireballs, they're a pretty safe option for Mario. If you shield too much you'll get grabbed so short hop over them.

I was actually playing an excellent Mario last night on FG. I think I beat his Mario every time but then his Wario shenanigans got me. Is there a clear option to punish a Wario that likes to spam the bike? I know eggs knock him off. Maybe dair? I know a well timed Yoshi bomb can stop it. I guess I roll too much, because the bike is great at punishing my rolls.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
Yeah I just opt for a retreating JC Egg Toss to stop the bike, or go for a short hop Nair. Dair should be fine, just don't miss. :p

I rarely even roll as Yoshi. Short hopping around effectively replaces that defensively since I can freely choose options to fit the situation, such as using a retreating Nair or air dodge. Retreating with Bair or Fair isn't half bad, too. Simply dashing away can even suffice, since you can usually get a nice punish with a JC Egg Toss.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I need to limit my rolling with Yoshi. Some characters have such good rolls that they are hard to punish even on a read. Yoshi's roll isn't one of them.

ividal

Smash Cadet
anyone having trouble against mario remember that while mario does have good mobility, its not the greatest, if you manage to nair him when he does his up b off stage hes pretty much done for, always look for a chance to hit him when hes trying to recover and it should be an easy win, also egg lay is your best friend against him

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I wish I was able to post videos from my Wii U, because I have some good matches against a solid Mario saved.

superyoshi64

Smash Rookie
I honestly think we should turn our attention to marth, lucina and SHULK (**** him)

because i played a shulk and once i was in the air i couldent get back to the ground with out him smash attacking me back up and its not like the size reduction of FD from melee to brawl to smash 4 helps also wen i tryed to use a smash attack he would just counter. i swear shulk is gonna be the new meta knight : /

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Just poking in here to say thanks for some of the tips I've read vs. Captain Falcon. It seems to be my weakest MU right now - I think I've yet to win a match against him with Yoshi! I'm a pretty aggressive player though which I'm sure is a big reason for it.

I have trouble against Mario too, but I rarely see them online these days.

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
Me personally its Little Mac Players...not Little Mac the character.

Those guys just like to camp and then roll and roll and roll and its hard for me (who likes to spam eggs ((because why not?)) and then throw in the down B every time I think ill get them dragged up with the attack.

And its not even the fact that Yoshi is just so good against mostly everyone else (well at least for me (online 3ds), I always tend to lose to the camper-style Little Mac Players.

But anyway, what do you guys think?

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Sheik by far.
She can camp you all game with needles and combo your ass offstage unless you have super armor

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
Sheik by far.
She can camp you all game with needles and combo your *** offstage unless you have super armor
Well, Ive only really played like 3 sheiks...and ive either gotten destroyed by the 2 and then destroyed the other, but Ive seen their up tilts on me and get like 50% easy... lately ive just fought little macs left and right and it gets annoying haha

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
For little Mac, grabbing is key, baiting counters and using Nair to cover offstage. Never let them lend as well when you get them in the air... and just never approach, let them do it. Dash grab while you wait on the ledge is really good

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
For reference, I've merged the thread that @ Ben Prochazka Ben Prochazka made with this one, as I felt the topic fell under the purpose of this thread. I didn't want to lock the thread because I didn't want to kill the conversation flow, so please continue!

To add in my opinion, I believe our hardest match up is probably Sheik. She's just much too fast for us to deal with easily (or at least, my brain can't keep up), and really getting anything going on her is hard. Diddy is probably also pretty tough, but more manageable than Sheik. I also personally find Falcon kind of intimidating, but I've always struggled with rush-down.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
So far from both discussions and personal experience Yoshi's not-so-fun Matchups so far is like this

:4diddy::4sheik::4zss::4sonic::4pikachu:

Ones I feel that can be troublesome in the future maybe
:4falcon::4fox:(when Fox mains figure out we honestly do not win this +3) :4lucario::4luigi::4mario::4megaman::4bowserjr::4peach::4shulk::4wario2:
For small reasonings

:4falcon: is obvious, Rush down and stuffs us in the face if we attempt any egg camping. Still suffers of course from projectiles but since ours has a decent cooldown whether we use it in the air or ground he's able to retaliate against us compared to projectiles like Sheik Villager Megaman etc.

:4fox: I really don't see how they think it's +3 still. I can play megafox 100 times in my town and I'll prolly go 4-96. Even though fox's main kill move Usmash is nerfed and he fishes for kills about as hard as Yoshi does. Still feel like Fox would be netting them before us with his speed on the ground and fastfall speed along with his high jumps, spaced bairs basically.

:4lucario: Has been seeing more play recently since most people dropped him due to VI removal, mostly of course usually in 2 stock tournaments and having 1 stock left around 120-170% and killing people around the 30-60% range. If we're too hasty on trying to kill Lucario early cause we're afraid of the aura+rage combo we'll most likely lose if we panic and just keep throwing out our kill moves everywhere giving him a chance to get a free kill with side-b. Think our DA can clank with his charged aura sphere, though I wouldn't test in matches of course, try training before listening to this advice.

:4luigi:/:4mario: Luigi's cyclone and fireballs got better and him trying to be diddy with his own Dthrow combos is pretty damn strong. Luigi still suffers for being luigi though, friction of being on ice landscape all the time and trouble recovering if he used his DJ already. Prolly safer to pelt eggs at him over Mario.

Mario's strings, while we can DJ out of most of them, are still troubling to deal with and his cape/fludd is annoying to go around as well. His fireballs still as annoying as ever and everything about Mario is, well, Balanced. Even the percents he kills us at is reasonable.

:4megaman: There was a bit of discussion on Megaman somewhere. So for now I'll just say his zoning is pretty damn good and pellets is the most annoying projectile to deal with not including Sheik's Needles of course. Metal blade just helps him even more and Megaman's fair/bair comes out pretty fast too. Wonder when megaman's will use leaf shield to footstool offstage on us more often...

:4bowserjr: Anyone that's in the skype group can go back to read what I think of Jr.
If not, his aerials come out fast while destroying any egg tosses we do, his Dair has weird priority that beats all our moves and randomly breaks our DJ when it feels like it, he takes less damage if we hit the clown car which we're hitting most of the time so even if we want to camp we get little reward on a hit cause less damage done, you can't gimp him cause he has two double jumps + he can mix up how he recovers. 5th or so heaviest character in the game, and kills relatively early. If he gets a hit confirm with clown car he can UpB to chase and hit with hammer, which I should also mention comes out incredibly fast hits behind him and destroys eggs as well.

:4peach: Feel like everything about her got stronger, we lost Bair so we can't use that like we did in brawl to deal with Peach and ZSS for example in brawl. And I forget if she was able to in brawl too, but in this game her fair can destroy our eggs. I played one decent peach and even though I went 2-0 they were very close games. I'm not looking forward to playing another peach main again.

:4shulk: http://smashboards.com/threads/yosh...-thread-dinobeast-scary.386843/#post-18383124

:4wario2: A few FG and one offline Wario's I've played they always won, usually from late waft which I'm surprised that kills now over just 40+%, his aerials outside of fair I feel got better (even his bair is a kill move) his bike ramps up pretty fast and funny enough combos into itself but we can thankfully OoS Nair them if they get to bike happy. Bite is still good and actually eats our eggs now, and like usual his smashes outside of Dsmash is relatively good still along with the fact he still has pretty much the same mobility from brawl outside of being able to spam airdodge all day and no more grab release to Usmash so that hurts us :<

Depending if the owner of this thread doesn't come back, I think the ownership of this thread should be switched over to somebody else once we give another month or two for more different matchups to be played.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So far from both discussions and personal experience Yoshi's not-so-fun Matchups so far is like this

:4diddy::4sheik::4zss::4sonic::4pikachu:
Diddy, Sheik I can see. Is ZSS basically just more of the same rushdown shenaniganry that we struggle with?

Sonic loses to jab. Seriously. Stand there and jab his ****. Beats/clanks spindashes (but we win a clank off), beats grabs, repeated jabs on shield might not even be unsafe here (I certainly didn't get punished much for them when I did it in tourny).

Pika could be troublesome, but I still think we deal with the rat fine. I lack top Pika experience, naturally, but I don't think we struggle.

:4falcon: is obvious, Rush down and stuffs us in the face if we attempt any egg camping. Still suffers of course from projectiles but since ours has a decent cooldown whether we use it in the air or ground he's able to retaliate against us compared to projectiles like Sheik Villager Megaman etc.
He feels kinda evenish. We can juggle hard, but the rushdown sure hurts. I think Dair wrecks his recovery, which is another plus.

:4fox: I really don't see how they think it's +3 still. I can play megafox 100 times in my town and I'll prolly go 4-96. Even though fox's main kill move Usmash is nerfed and he fishes for kills about as hard as Yoshi does. Still feel like Fox would be netting them before us with his speed on the ground and fastfall speed along with his high jumps, spaced bairs basically.
They think we have a +3?! Incredible. I'm pretty sure this match up plays out similar to how it did before, only with shenanigans being removed on both sides. Have we tested Grab Releasing him off the edge yet?

:4lucario: Has been seeing more play recently since most people dropped him due to VI removal, mostly of course usually in 2 stock tournaments and having 1 stock left around 120-170% and killing people around the 30-60% range. If we're too hasty on trying to kill Lucario early cause we're afraid of the aura+rage combo we'll most likely lose if we panic and just keep throwing out our kill moves everywhere giving him a chance to get a free kill with side-b. Think our DA can clank with his charged aura sphere, though I wouldn't test in matches of course, try training before listening to this advice.
If we kill Lucario first, we win. Just run away from him from there. He'll never be able to kill you, if his aura growth is anything like it was in Brawl. For reference, in Brawl, I ate a full charge aura sphere, Lucario at about 0, I was at 100+, and failed to be knocked off the stage. So seriously, just time him out once stock lead is acquired. Luckily for us, we can at least make a come back against this character. He can't really do it against us, I'd wager.

Depending if the owner of this thread doesn't come back, I think the ownership of this thread should be switched over to somebody else once we give another month or two for more different matchups to be played.
That can be done. Are you volunteering for ownership of another Yoshi thread? =P

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well his aura growth happens a bit earlier I believe compared to brawl but if you factor in aura+Rage mechanic in this game it turns into stuff like this.
https://gfycat.com/AcademicMajorAustraliancattledog
http://gfycat.com/FlamboyantShoddyBushsqueaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVf8CoBtIy0
Two of em are the players fault, but the video one is just
Help us if we get hit by 25% aura sphere or his Side-b nicking us since it has huge range with aura now.

As for thread owner lol, dunno maybe. Not sure how to go about the matchup thread yet but again let's wait for a bit and if he doesn't come back then prolly give it to me. When it comes to updating threads so far I'm the most consistent.

Edit: gonna add a bit more in a second regarding rest of ur post.

Diddy, Sheik I can see. Is ZSS basically just more of the same rushdown shenaniganry that we struggle with?
Pretty much, she's fast still and even trickier to deal with in the air, Uair still destroys us and her new combo multiple Uairs to UpB can kill at 0%. I've had a set stolen from me because of that already this early in the game. At Paragon almost all of Nick's kills was that combo.

Sonic loses to jab. Seriously. Stand there and jab his ****. Beats/clanks spindashes (but we win a clank off), beats grabs, repeated jabs on shield might not even be unsafe here (I certainly didn't get punished much for them when I did it in tourny).
I mean, yes we can risk using jab to clank with Sonic. But if we don't we most likely take 28+% if we get hit by all the hits of either down-b or side-b. For an example of risking jab to clank with Sonic, Player 1 at Paragon tried using Villager's rapid jab to cancel out sonic spindash and he was only getting them 2 out of 5 times.
Sonic also has kill moves now, so using his speed and new way to rack up damage incredibly fast by just being a projectile he can actually kill us early with Usmash or even Bthrow.

He feels kinda evenish. We can juggle hard, but the rushdown sure hurts. I think Dair wrecks his recovery, which is another plus.
His raptor boost (rapture =D) kills us relatively early now and his rushdown feels even more scarier compared to brawl. He also retained his weight too so he's even harder to kill vertically since that's mostly our only way to net kills.

They think we have a +3?! Incredible. Have we tested Grab Releasing him off the edge yet?
It's crazy, and no we haven't. We don't have much stuff confirmed on what we have but I still wonder if we actually have some true combos with Dthrow to Uair, like Diddy and Luigi lol

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Gonna sneak in a reply now, but I'm curious about Lucario's knockback on us when he's at 0. If it's incredibly low, the MU could really boil down to killing Lucario first, and then just never touching him again.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Slush, when I played Sonic in tourny I made a 2 game comeback after being down because I tested whether or not we could stuff everything with jab, and it turned out we could. I dunno how Villager's jab works, but I'm pretty sure our jab is better for beating stuff out that his. The timing isn't too strict either, since our jab has nice range.

@ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ I lack the Smash 4 experience, but I'm sure that he still suffers when approaching in this game. I don't know how his aerials are on shield, but whenever he jumps he's pretty limited to long lasting aerials... You might want to consider a combination of run in shield > Nair/Usmash OOS, or even pivot grabs (yuck) to see how they work against his aerials.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It feels weird being irked to think of Pivot grab as an option this time around.
Curse Sakurai.

Oh well. By the end of the week you can give me or whoever else you have in mind the thread, Delta.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Pivot Grab makes me really sad. It's astounding how bad it's become.

I've sent Jakubdi a message regarding thread ownership. Thread will go to you unless you have no objections, or if someone else wishes to volunteer. I'm not just gonna slam someone with ownership against their will.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
What if they like it that way. If you tell them of course.

A quick check up also shows he hasn't been on since October.
And since he hasn't even passed 10 posts...

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
If slush doesn't want it I'll take it. I want some responsibility around here lol. But on the topic of pivot grab, jeez man it's "Just as good" as long as you don't miss. You absolutely cannot just wiff anymore. Like In brawl we knew how to just land a pivot grab in one go, but being able to just panic pivot was so liberating :(((((. Oh well

GnW walk up and shield. The fact that we couldn't do that in brawl was why this matchup was even kinda difficult so try abusing it more.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I saw his inactivity. Unless we're in a hurry, I'd rather at least give him a say in this. You never know, he might come back. I've given him until next Tuesday. Slush and Celes, you two can work out control of this thread, just someone let me know. But that's enough of this discussion in this thread!

I don't recall landing pivot grab in one go ever in Brawl, lol. I used to whiff with it like no tomorrow because it was just a safe anti approach tool. Now it's like...an anti-approach tool, if you get a good read or something. It's just not really worth using anymore, in my opinion.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I mean my yoshi was really passive agressive so if I was like mentally playing at my best I tried not to make too many wasted movements and relied alot on reads. Pivot Grab was like the easiest thing to go for on a read so it was kinda my go to move. Even If i missed, 99% of the time the follow up pivot grab or panic jab would have been good. Now its like "wow if I wiff this I'm probably dead" it ain't even that serious i'll just dash attack or something lol.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh, I'm not in a hurry just saying I noticed how he hasn't been on since October. Giving a chance is fine by me, more time means more days to play matches and have better opinions on matchups.

Pivot grab is still "Ok" to use just like our dash grab since it doesn't do that silly going through people anymore but it's still not really good to use.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Pivot grab is great; you just can't miss it anymore. I put pivot grab in the same group of moves as forward smash and back air...it's awesome as long as you use it properly and just never miss.

It sounds a bit unreasonable, but it's still a great option against characters that try to chase you down on the ground where Egg Toss is too slow. A future alternative may be pivot Egg Lay, which sounds really cool, but the nerfed startup time would hurt this as a defensive option I think. The real benefit to pivot grab is how quickly it becomes active. If you're trying to pivot grab people from a distance, then pivot Egg Lay may be a better technique because you have more distance between the two characters to make up for the longer startup time and are much safer on a miss.

Then again, maybe this just highlights the specific distances at which any kind of pivoting is unsafe.

Also, on the brief note of matchups, I clearly need to play Zero Suits that are more capable than the ones I've been playing. She is one of my favorite matchups with Yoshi and Jigglypuff and judging from peoples' posts on the character, I guess that shouldn't be the case.

The Sonic matchup is really nasty; I'll have to take that jab advice. This matchup becomes a test of absolute patience for me but some times I just cannot discipline myself for long enough to prevent myself from overextending. I need to work on that (or play Shulk more) specifically for Sonic.

I am also 100% down for getting the stock lead on Lucario and running away for however long. I can only hope that future patch arrives which corrupts the character's data and from then on requires a sacrifice of twenty squirrels and the blood of five innocent toddlers to unlock him again. Until then, I am content with making Lucario players chase me until the break of dawn.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I haven't posted here in a while, but I've played a bazillion Ness players (seriously, why do I only fight Ness on FG?) so I can comment on that matchup.

In general I feel like Yoshi actually does quite well against Ness, largely because of double jump. You can simply hold away and jump out of PK Fire and his Fair chains, forcing him to go for less powerful Nair followups instead. PK Fire's trajectory is predictable and it has limited range, so Yoshi has a significant advantage in ranged combat vs Ness and should use Eggs for damage whenever possible. You should also definitely try to pick FD as the stage if you can, as Ness cannot harass Yoshi at all with PK Thunder here, you can just get above of him and use Down B, even if he hits you with the ball Down B will clank it and go right through. If you are ever not in a spot to use Down B, use Nair to clank the ball safely instead. Down B also goes right through Ness UpSmash, it will clank the Yoyo and hit Ness, so any time you see Ness commit to any onstage move while you're in the air feel free to pound his face.

Of course, you do have to watch out for Bthrow and Uair, both are quite powerful kill moves, though Yoshi survives them a bit better than most thanks to his surprisingly high weight. You can mitigate the threat of Bthrow to some extent by keeping your back to the ledge, which is the ideal position for throwing eggs anyway. PK Thunder 2 is honestly a gimmick, it's almost always obvious when Ness's are going for it, just Shield and punish with FSmash until he learns his lesson.

Overall, I feel like Yoshi wins this matchup, likely +1 or maybe +2 on FD.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
So since the other guy never popped up, how would you guys like to talk about the 52 characters in this game.

Go by 1 or 2 weeks and discuss 1-3 characters to knock it out real fast while using this thread only to discuss everything (or even migrate to other peoples discussions) while also taking a 3 or so day break to vote on the next couple characters we feel like discussing?

Make a single thread every week to make this one less flooded and easier to access all the discussions?

Or just get one or two really good opinions on how the MU goes and throw it in a spoiler tag?
Honestly though the last one feels kinda lazy, but you guys decide.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I like the idea of making a new thread for each character. Some threads have already been made, if we want to use the old ones, and we can always link them here.

As for the timeline, I haven't got a clue. We could always start with the characters that have already discussed us, if that would help kickstart the project.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
They think we have a +3?! Incredible. I'm pretty sure this match up plays out similar to how it did before, only with shenanigans being removed on both sides. Have we tested Grab Releasing him off the edge yet?
Grab release to egg lay doesn't work, he's released into position for it like Brawl but the egg lay goes right through him due to new anti-chaingrab grab mechanics, and egg lay counts as a grab. :(
Fair and such might still work though, can only test on cpu atm though.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Grab release to egg lay doesn't work, he's released into position for it like Brawl but the egg lay goes right through him due to new anti-chaingrab grab mechanics, and egg lay counts as a grab. :(
Fair and such might still work though, can only test on cpu atm though.
My tears are so strong right now.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
This seems to be the right place...

Hello Yoshis! ^ ^ The Zelda boards have started discussion on the Yoshi MU, and we'd love input from any Yoshis who have experience.

:4zelda: < "Click me to use Farore's Wind!"

Top Bottom