• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirk's Everything Ike Guide **New** Update: New Wifi Matches Added

Kirk

Smash Champion
Holy eff, Kirk. Great guide.
i thkni its a good guide so far dispite it's still incomplete. As I've said before, "give credit where credits due", and thats not just about your guide but your playin gstyle with ike is very good I believe.
Thanks for the input guys :D

I'm tryin hard to finish it up, I'll update as soon as I add more.

In the mean time please comment and give input! I'm always open for suggestions, criticisms, and other ideas :D

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
i was just thinking since you now have a guide can i add a link to your guide in my thread and you can do the same if you want.

LordIke100

Smash Rookie
Kirk, first of all hello!:laugh:

I have seen your videos and, wow, I am impressed you are a very god Ike player.
Then with a such informative thread, which tier do you consider Ike should be placed.

My personal opinion is high tier, i mean, killing Mario at 30% with hif fsmash! wow!
I know is to early, but whats your opinion?:confused:

ikeuser9720

Smash Cadet
On Tellius, fighting alongside Ike in an epic batt
Very impressive guide! I haven't read it all yet but I definetly will! I can't wait to see the next video about Ikes super armor, I know it can stop marths final smash but I'm excited to see what other uses you've thought of for it. I appreciate all the time you put into the guide and can't wait for more!

shanus

Smash Hero
My one comment on your ike is I dislike how much you resort to charged quick slashes in your ground game. IMO your Ike's speed will greatly increase if you add more variation in your approaches with SHFF fairs and RAR bairs. Also, in some of your attempted ledgehogs where you dont have enough invincibility frames, quickslash edgestalls (akin to phantasms) do seem to work to reset invinc fairly quickly

PwnageLlama

Smash Cadet
Wow, thanks a lot!

I was wondering how the start-up time of Ike's Counter compared to the start up time of Marth's counter is SSBM?

NyTeStRiDeR

Smash Apprentice
I think if anyone is to make a clan, I believe Kirk should. He has provided a substantial amount of information and videos showing how ike can be played in his own guide. Pretty much he has covered all of ike's currently known advanced techs/tactics/strategies/ movesets/percentages, etc..... All his information is well represented and are in-depth(not to mention his videos are in such high quality). Also the information that he has acquired is his(with the few exceptions of the discovery of certain adv techs). The Big Ike Guide by the B4BC acquired information based on videos from Kirk.( I have nothing against this since that they have received his permission to post it in their guide).The way that i see it, Kirk has contributed the most to the Ike community.

*Im not trying to say we need another clan(personally i just don't like the idea of clans at least in brawl)
* Just felt like posting this since the discussion of clans(# of clans,which is better, etc....) in the Ike forums is really dumb
*Im not trying to put Kirk on the spot, it doesn't really matter to me if he makes a clan or not.

Kirk

Smash Champion
**Responds to all of you**

i was just thinking since you now have a guide can i add a link to your guide in my thread and you can do the same if you want.
**PMs You**

Kirk, first of all hello!:laugh:

I have seen your videos and, wow, I am impressed you are a very god Ike player.
Then with a such informative thread, which tier do you consider Ike should be placed.

My personal opinion is high tier, i mean, killing Mario at 30% with hif fsmash! wow!
I know is to early, but whats your opinion?:confused:
Thank you very much :D

Like you said, it is a bit too early to start forming any sort of a tier list. Also, I'll probably be biased since I play Ike WAY more than anyone else :p

I would say he would be up there...high tier-ish....but again, I'm probably biased XD

Very impressive guide! I haven't read it all yet but I definetly will! I can't wait to see the next video about Ikes super armor, I know it can stop marths final smash but I'm excited to see what other uses you've thought of for it. I appreciate all the time you put into the guide and can't wait for more!
Thank you very much! I'll try and have it up ASAP, but I've been busy the past few days...but here's hoping :D

Wow, just wow. This needs to be stickied now.
:bee:

really nice
i liked it
Thank you :)

My one comment on your ike is I dislike how much you resort to charged quick slashes in your ground game. IMO your Ike's speed will greatly increase if you add more variation in your approaches with SHFF fairs and RAR bairs. Also, in some of your attempted ledgehogs where you dont have enough invincibility frames, quickslash edgestalls (akin to phantasms) do seem to work to reset invinc fairly quickly
I've altered my game slightly from the last videos I have posted, and hopefully I can show you in my next 1v1 videos. For now, though, my next vids will be Ike in 2v2s. Hopefully I can get some more 1v1s in later on.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it :D

Wow, thanks a lot!

I was wondering how the start-up time of Ike's Counter compared to the start up time of Marth's counter is SSBM?
You're welcome :D

Ike's counter has a larger start-up time than Marth's. It also has more power to it as well, as you can sometimes kill your opponent at 150%+ depending where you are on the stage.

I think if anyone is to make a clan, I believe Kirk should. He has provided a substantial amount of information and videos showing how ike can be played in his own guide. Pretty much he has covered all of ike's currently known advanced techs/tactics/strategies/ movesets/percentages, etc..... All his information is well represented and are in-depth(not to mention his videos are in such high quality). Also the information that he has acquired is his(with the few exceptions of the discovery of certain adv techs). The Big Ike Guide by the B4BC acquired information based on videos from Kirk.( I have nothing against this since that they have received his permission to post it in their guide).The way that i see it, Kirk has contributed the most to the Ike community.

*Im not trying to say we need another clan(personally i just don't like the idea of clans at least in brawl)
* Just felt like posting this since the discussion of clans(# of clans,which is better, etc....) in the Ike forums is really dumb
*Im not trying to put Kirk on the spot, it doesn't really matter to me if he makes a clan or not.
I'm glad my work on Ike has made an impact on the community :D

I appreciate such wonderful praise, and I look forward to adding more to my guide as I find out more information.

As for the clan issue, there's already another thread for that, but I thank you for your opinion. I suppose I wouldn't mind being one of the leaders if a new clan was to be made.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*phew* Now that I'm caught up with responses, I can get back to work on some other things :D

If everything goes to plan, I should have the next section(s) of my guide posted, as well as new 2v2 videos of Ike.

Thanks again to everyone and all of the positive feedback! I really appreciate it :D

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
This is probably a stupid question, but all those people saying how Ike is STILL too laggy to be any good in competitive play are worrying me. And apparently Ike sucks if your opponent's mastered their character. So...is that true? Please tell me it's not true :(

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
This is probably a stupid question, but all those people saying how Ike is STILL too laggy to be any good in competitive play are worrying me. And apparently Ike sucks if your opponent's mastered their character. So...is that true? Please tell me it's not true :(
Someone else said the same thing in another thread. Where did you read that Lin? I still won't believe it. This game hasn't even been out for half a month, and I strongly feel no one has mastered a character yet.

As for the guide, actually, it was a great read, not just "good." Lol. Thanks a bunch Kirk. I watched one Ike video, and saw something that isn't actually promising, because it's more along the lines of a mindgame, and while we can talk about those all day, it really has to come from the player.

In one match though, the Ike did an empty fair into an AAA combo. It was nice and surprised me. Just something to consider. The possibilities are pretty nice for what you can think to do with it, such as empty fair into grab and what not. Then again, this really could be for any character, but it was interesting to see him do it so quickly.

Edit: Actually, he does have a bit of lag. It's not that much, but it's enough where a smart player will punish it. On another note, I believe an additional purpose for the nair is jumping out of a shield with it.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Someone else said the same thing in another thread. Where did you read that Lin? I still won't believe it. This game hasn't even been out for half a month, and I strongly feel no one has mastered a character yet.

As for the guide, actually, it was a great read, not just "good." Lol. Thanks a bunch Kirk. I watched one Ike video, and saw something that isn't actually promising, because it's more along the lines of a mindgame, and while we can talk about those all day, it really has to come from the player.

In one match though, the Ike did an empty fair into an AAA combo. It was nice and surprised me. Just something to consider. The possibilities are pretty nice for what you can think to do with it, such as empty fair into grab and what not. Then again, this really could be for any character, but it was interesting to see him do it so quickly.

Edit: Actually, he does have a bit of lag. It's not that much, but it's enough where a smart player will punish it. On another note, I believe an additional purpose for the nair is jumping out of a shield with it.
Thanks for the comments!

Yes, the Fair does have a bit of lag...not the best to combo with...but it still can be done nonetheless.

Nair out of shield...that could be of some use. Usually I opt for a Bair if they are behind me, or a grab if they're in front. Nair could work well as it has the wide range and can start a combo for more attacks...

Thanks for the input :D

EDIT: Added new 2v2s of Ike. Hope you enjoy :D

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I didn't mean a connecting fair, but a fair where you lag the attack animation enough where it cancels it and the attack doesn't coming out, resulting in an empty fair.

Sorry if you knew that's what I meant though, ><.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I didn't mean a connecting fair, but a fair where you lag the attack animation enough where it cancels it and the attack doesn't coming out, resulting in an empty fair.

Sorry if you knew that's what I meant though, ><.
Hmm...I just tried what you described...and the lag is still the same as if the attack comes out normally...maybe I'm unsure what you mean? Anyway i try an Fair, i still get the same landing lag.

By the 'lag the attack animation,' do you mean use the attack right before you hit the ground?

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Yea, like just as you're about to hit the ground, or I guess enough where the opponent sees that you're going to do something so they put up a shield, resulting in you landing not using an attack and being able to grab or something, but there's too much lag for it to be effective.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Yea, like just as you're about to hit the ground, or I guess enough where the opponent sees that you're going to do something so they put up a shield, resulting in you landing not using an attack and being able to grab or something, but there's too much lag for it to be effective.
That's what I thought. Yeah, the lag is the same either way, so it wouldn't be all that effective.

Sorry :/

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
You should do some team matches with friendly fire on. It would be nice to see how easy/hard it is for Ike to KO his partner.

Kirk

Smash Champion
You should do some team matches with friendly fire on. It would be nice to see how easy/hard it is for Ike to KO his partner.
Yeah, we originally were going to do Friendly Fire on. But we kept forgetting to switch it back in between matches...so we just decided to keep it consistent with the rest and leave it off.

Next time I'll do some with it on :D

Cyberbot5000

Smash Apprentice
keep up the good work I wouldnt mind seeing more videos, perhaps Ike paired with some other characters

ps has anyone attempted a 3 vs 1 or is that pushing it too far???

Fumetsu

Smash Rookie
Good Job with this thread! its given me lots of insight on what playing with Ike will be like, and i hope to use this to its fullest potential in my own mastery of the character!

Well played and well done!

Kirk

Smash Champion
keep up the good work I wouldnt mind seeing more videos, perhaps Ike paired with some other characters

ps has anyone attempted a 3 vs 1 or is that pushing it too far???
3 vs 1 lol...that would be EPIC if Ike could pull something like that off...

The new doubles matches are really nice. Your videos/thread are the most informative on the Ike boards.
Thank you very much! :D

Good Job with this thread! its given me lots of insight on what playing with Ike will be like, and i hope to use this to its fullest potential in my own mastery of the character!

Well played and well done!
That's my goal :D All for the betterment of Ike players! Glad I could be of help.

True Fool

Smash Ace
How come this isn't stickied? No offense to every other Ike guide out there *coughtoomanycough*, but I think this is much better than any of them.

NyTeStRiDeR

Smash Apprentice
I think instead of showing what ike's super armor can stop, I think you should just show what it cannot stop. It would be much easier and faster.
edit: didnt read it clearly, thought it was about all moves instead of final smashes

Kirk

Smash Champion
I think instead of showing what ike's super armor can stop, I think you should just show what it cannot stop. It would be much easier and faster.
I'll more than likely do both what can and what can't. It'll take some time to compile but I think it will be worth it :D

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
gotta hand it to ya kirk, this guide is the most concise of all and should be made the definitive Ike Guide.

also you think you got some time for some 1on1s online?

Kirk

Smash Champion
gotta hand it to ya kirk, this guide is the most concise of all and should be made the definitive Ike Guide.

also you think you got some time for some 1on1s online?
Thank you! :D

I guess I could try out some more wifi :D

PM me and we'll talk.

if you made a guild, i would join it.
The last thing we need is 6 guilds on the Ike boards lol

But thanks for your support :D

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Hmm, verrry nice analysis.

Thanks for posting, real facts like these leave me much more hopeful for a character rather than hearing some noob yelling "lol, Marth is gay, goooo Ike!"

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Well, I finally got to play some today and I would say I am very happy. If I were to guess as to what tier Ike would belong in, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you. It's very difficult to even guess, in my opinion, so early on.

I really didn't get to do a lot of 1 vs. 1's with him, but I take whatever I can get. I did quite a bit of FFAs, some team matches, and then a few 1 vs. 1's. Ike's just a beast in FFAs, not much really to say there. Ike in teams is very promising. Marth and Ike make an awesome team that I believe has potential, as well as an Ike and Dedede team.

I really, really enjoyed the 1 vs. 1 matches I had though. Since I really didn't get to try as many things as I wanted to, I was kinda' just playing based off of things I've read/seen/just doing from playing the game. The two characters that probably annoyed me the most to fight against were R.O.B. and Meta-Knight. Both can be a threat, so you really need to play smart.

Ike's AAA game and any and all variations are absolutely awesome. I didn't really get to practice with some of the variations, but I will say that they are an absolute necessity to his game. Ike's Upsmash is just AWESOME! Nothing pleased me more than a running upsmash and catching people's rolls from the ledge with an upsmash. It really hurts, and it doesn't play around. Ike's Nair is a great move and will definitely, I think, be a pretty important aspect to his game. When you connect, you can pretty much go immediately into an AAA. Ike's fair is too good. Ike's bair is great, but you really need to be careful on judging if the attack will connect.

I could go on and on, but I'm really not stating anything new. Ike is awesome, and I am definitely maining him. He felt so right the first time I played as him. There's a lot of stuff I sucked it up on and wished to explore it a little more, but beggers can't be chosers. ^_^ Ike has a very good amount of potential, but it's going to take quite a bit of work.

Sharky

Smash Master
Fizz-Sama said:
The two characters that probably annoyed me the most to fight against were R.O.B. and Meta-Knight. Both can be a threat, so you really need to play smart.
Mwahahahahahaha! R.O.B. strikes again! =P

I'm Sharky from Kirk's vids, in case anyone's wondering who this raving lunatic is =P

Kirk

Smash Champion
Well, I finally got to play some today and I would say I am very happy. If I were to guess as to what tier Ike would belong in, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you. It's very difficult to even guess, in my opinion, so early on.

I really didn't get to do a lot of 1 vs. 1's with him, but I take whatever I can get. I did quite a bit of FFAs, some team matches, and then a few 1 vs. 1's. Ike's just a beast in FFAs, not much really to say there. Ike in teams is very promising. Marth and Ike make an awesome team that I believe has potential, as well as an Ike and Dedede team.

I really, really enjoyed the 1 vs. 1 matches I had though. Since I really didn't get to try as many things as I wanted to, I was kinda' just playing based off of things I've read/seen/just doing from playing the game. The two characters that probably annoyed me the most to fight against were R.O.B. and Meta-Knight. Both can be a threat, so you really need to play smart.

Ike's AAA game and any and all variations are absolutely awesome. I didn't really get to practice with some of the variations, but I will say that they are an absolute necessity to his game. Ike's Upsmash is just AWESOME! Nothing pleased me more than a running upsmash and catching people's rolls from the ledge with an upsmash. It really hurts, and it doesn't play around. Ike's Nair is a great move and will definitely, I think, be a pretty important aspect to his game. When you connect, you can pretty much go immediately into an AAA. Ike's fair is too good. Ike's bair is great, but you really need to be careful on judging if the attack will connect.

I could go on and on, but I'm really not stating anything new. Ike is awesome, and I am definitely maining him. He felt so right the first time I played as him. There's a lot of stuff I sucked it up on and wished to explore it a little more, but beggers can't be chosers. ^_^ Ike has a very good amount of potential, but it's going to take quite a bit of work.
Thanks for sharing your impressions! Glad you could get your hands on the game :D

I agree with pretty much everything you said lol. Robot and MK are troublesome indeed :/

Mwahahahahahaha! R.O.B. strikes again! =P

I'm Sharky from Kirk's vids, in case anyone's wondering who this raving lunatic is =P
lol sharky...your Robot will go DOWN!!! You should also play yoshi more often...cause....well...you know...that IS your username and all :p

----------------------------------------------------------------

On a sad note, I recently sprained my arm :/

So the next few days are probably gonna be slow on updates for me...playing Brawl and typing in general are proving more difficult than before hehe

Nonetheless I'll try my best to keep adding to my guide.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I am looking forward to main Ike. I had my doubts when I saw E4all but not anymore. This thread is too awesome, it should be stickied right away.

Top Bottom