• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirk's Everything Ike Guide **New** Update: New Wifi Matches Added

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
if you have never played brawl before, i would try wolf and spam lazers and other b moves
the high stun on lasers and the quickness of his side b and the priority of his up b make for an excellent camp, especially v. people who hae never played
the lasers shut down a lot of people, and anyone who gets in range is like to eat your b moves if you space them right

most likely they won't have him unlocked on release date tourney though
in that case choose mario, he's really fast and powerful, plus if you're unsure of what to do you can spam his fireballs which are ********

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Kirk, I hope you know that you are a great player and a role model for many of the Ike players out there. I extend my appreciation for the time and dedication you have put in to develop this characters metagame.

Thank you. ^^

Kirk

Smash Champion
Kirk, I hope you know that you are a great player and a role model for many of the Ike players out there. I extend my appreciation for the time and dedication you have put in to develop this characters metagame.

Thank you. ^^
Nicest post I've ever recieved o.O

Thank you very much for the praise :D

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
you're the only guide writer who goes out of their way to discover every little thing about each move, and every practical use

plus you write in real english and use formatting properly unlike certain sticky guides
that's why this is my fav guide, besides elliot's 2.0

Kirk

Smash Champion
you're the only guide writer who goes out of their way to discover every little thing about each move, and every practical use

plus you write in real english and use formatting properly unlike certain sticky guides
that's why this is my fav guide, besides elliot's 2.0
Hah that 2.0 guide is pretty funny...probably the most concise :p

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
Do Ikes counter frames last as long as marths or is he lame like Roys and you have to basically activate it right before the attack hits?

Kirk

Smash Champion
Do Ikes counter frames last as long as marths or is he lame like Roys and you have to basically activate it right before the attack hits?
The startup is slower. I know this for sure...but I'm unsure about the length...I would guess it is shorter also, like alphadragoon said.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't call a 'glutton for punishment' a compliment...but I digress.

I've used the so called 'Grand Viper' in numerous videos...sorry I can't point out specifically where. All the videos I upload can be found <<Here>>

Edit: You can see it done in my recently added wifi matches. I believe it was in match 3.
I never meant to insult your friend Sharky. Also, I subscribe.

Your matches against Hawk are amazing. You always seem to be a life ahead of him.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
What's REALLY funny about the Hawk matches is that in the majority of them, something really bad happened to Hawk at one point or another... for example, the Yoshi's Island slip.

The reason?
Kirk has mad hax!!!

Lol, jk, but Mike Hawk, you got hella screwed on some of those matches cos of really stupid things like the Yoshi's Island...

I'd like to coin a new term: "Pulling a Hawk" is bouncing off of Yoshi's Island to your death after Aether =D

Kirk

Smash Champion
What's REALLY funny about the Hawk matches is that in the majority of them, something really bad happened to Hawk at one point or another... for example, the Yoshi's Island slip.

The reason?
Kirk has mad hax!!!

Lol, jk, but Mike Hawk, you got hella screwed on some of those matches cos of really stupid things like the Yoshi's Island...

I'd like to coin a new term: "Pulling a Hawk" is bouncing off of Yoshi's Island to your death after Aether =D
That was really funny when it happened...I can't remember exactly what he said, but he said it was called like the Hawk Dive or the Flying Hawk...something like that.

You'd have to ask him lol.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
i called it the "Grand HawK"
Oh. You are here. You are good but you either kill yourself or die to a well timed C stick smash. You could try counter. That would be to slow right. In the videos you did win iwas because you started to copy Kirk. Good idea.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Looking at those videos Marth and Robot are a whole lot more deadly than that if played well.
As for the Ike - not to sound like an arrogant jerk but I can see a lot that can be improved in your game. Bairs, Uairs and low percent spikes would help your game a lot - as would some fox-trotting and pivot game.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
hey Mike where do you live in Tx
in a small town called Taylor, its about 30 mins away from Austin

Oh. You are here. You are good but you either kill yourself or die to a well timed C stick smash. You could try counter. That would be to slow right. In the videos you did win iwas because you started to copy Kirk. Good idea.
I don't want to give excuses.
also I have my own style, I never copy.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Man, why are you insulting the guy? Even though Kirk won more of the time he did well and was adapting pretty quickly.

I say good job to both Kirk and Mike.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
>_< Crap. I never mean to insult. I guess I'm just being a n00b. Bah. I'm just gonna shut-up now. Hawk well played. I think you did well in all your matches. Silly mistakes. That is all. Sorry.

Sandman516

Smash Rookie
Hey Kirk, i think i made a discovery from one of your videos. Can you try this out and see how you did it.

It happens at 2:25 in this video, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h5WMkI9hHPs

*It looks like you do a u-tilt while sliding backwards, if you can figure out how to do this consistently, may I ask that you try this trick with other tilts/smashes/b-moves. thx
i think he jst did it...lol...like he did a short hop backwards n utilt at like da same time...( like a Luigi from melee )...very slippery...lol...but im jst takin a guess...:confused:

smashmanic123

Smash Cadet
its not really a trick, links down a when it hits the ground has a a shockwave effect. Kirks out of the range of the hit but not the shock wave so he gets pushed back because of that i believe.

Doomflame

Smash Cadet
thanks Kirk and is like using forward smash purposely followed up with Counter good? cause probably a lot of people will be attacking Ike when he uses moves like his forward smash so it sounds like a good idea to counter or guard

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
No point in even trying to use your counter after your fsmash. The opponent should be able to punish Ike if he missed a fsmash.

PwnageLlama

Smash Cadet
Would it work to use Aether after Quick Draw (Grand viper style)?

Aether seems to do decent damage, and you cannot be knocked back.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Hi Kirk. Good fights as usual.

I notice a trend. You seem to cancel out the recovery frames of certain moves(like forward smash) by doing the neutral A combo. While this smart on your behalf, I am wondering if this is legitimate for offline play or is it just because of online lag? I'd hate to use that online and then see it doesn't work offline.

Thanks for your help.

- V

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
One thing that annoys me about Ike is how he's promoted as an absolute monster power wise, but all of his moves that pack a big punch are so situational that they'll rarely ever connect in competitive play(up smash, forward smash). I see people living to 120% + vs Ike on the regular. Even really good ones like Kirk.

Few extra Qs for ya Kirk

- Do you think we've seen the limit of Eruptions potential? I don't see it much from you in videos. If one anticipates interruption, why isn't air eruption an effective move? Sure you will take damage, but if timed so they attack the SA frames wont they probably die at 80% or higher? Same with ground usage, why the lack of eruption use?

- IMO down smash is his best smash attack overall. Do you think it lacks KO power? I don't see you use it much. It's definitely one of his faster moves.

Thanks again.

comboking

Smash Master
good matches you are the best are you going to be in the gamestop tourney! if you are can you tell me if it is Wifi?

Top Bottom