• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirk's Everything Ike Guide **New** Update: New Wifi Matches Added

Kirk

Smash Champion
That basically sums it up...short hopping is important for almost every, if not every character in brawl. Combined with aerials, specials, or even nothing(mindgames), it is very useful overall.

Also, I'll try to update this guide...there's a bunch of new stuff I've come across and I will hope to rewrite a lot of what is already here. But I don't know if I can right now...I have to spend all day practicing with the wiimote+nunchuck for the GS tournament XD

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
That basically sums it up...short hopping is important for almost every, if not every character in brawl. Combined with aerials, specials, or even nothing(mindgames), it is very useful overall.

Also, I'll try to update this guide...there's a bunch of new stuff I've come across and I will hope to rewrite a lot of what is already here. But I don't know if I can right now...I have to spend all day practicing with the wiimote+nunchuck for the GS tournament XD
That's not nice Kirk. Slaughtering newbs like that. At least try to be bad.

dragonslayingmarth

Smash Cadet
not sure if this was mentioned but you can do turn around jab combos extremely quick by tapping the opposite direction letting go immediately and following up with the triple A (i've had the game for about a month and have actually used this with a lot of success)...good if u predict them rolling behind you but not early enough for say a reverse foward-tilt or downsmash also god if u dodge an attack as they go through you...the timing feels like doing a reverse neutral-b in the air because if you don't let go of the direction you get f-tilt opposite direction (just like how doing reverse neutral-b you would get forward-b if you dont' let go of the direction)

sorry for the long post lol to summarize: i think TURN-AROUND-JAB-COMBO is a very good tactic not just for ike but anyone with a fast abuseable jab combo (zero suit, wolf etc.)

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Kirk, I'd like to play you. AIM is InfernoOmni. Message me when you get the chance.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide. I won my GS tourney with Ike and I plan to use him in R2.

Kitsune, we need to do some Ike ditto's the next time we play.

Wolt

Smash Journeyman
Hey it's Kirk! I wanted to mention this a long time ago but this was a really good guide when I went through a while ago. Your videos are really awesome man I've learned a lot. Keep putting them up, and I'd love to have a battle with you if you ever have any free time.

RedZeshin

Smash Cadet
Nice guide! Here are two things you can add:

1) If the input is timed correctly, on the ground Ike can immediately follow up a non-hitting QuickDraw with another QuickDraw (in either direction) before his lagging animation finishes. The trick is to time the second QD properly. This is good for mind-gaming since you can dash under an opponent, and then dash just as suddenly away in either direction. It can also be done consecutively to an opponents confusion.

2) In Ike's basic moveset, he also has diagonal tilts in addition to the up, side and down A tilts. If you look carefully his sword actually shifts direction slightly when you do it. This can be useful, say on the back wingtip of the Starfox ship in the Melee Corneria stage, to aim a blow diagonally down through the ships back rudder and into an opponent hanging on the ledge. Dunno if it has other applications, maybe for shield stabbing?

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
Although Ike's bair is faster and has less lag than his fair, I think his bair is still too situational because of its range. His fair is generally more useful (or at least to me it is).

The lag on his fair is definitely a problem, but other qualities make up for it. The range allows for some margin of error in placement and completely covers his front, which is where an fair is supposed to cover. Ike's weight allows for lower shorthops and faster falls, which allows him to quickly recover from the lag if his opponent aerial dodges it. The only two ways to effectively screw Ike while he's using his fair is to already be behind him (and in this case you shouldn't be using his fair anyway) or to stay on the ground and shield to take advantage of the lag. Otherwise, a good AAA to shorthop fair can rack up sizable damage at low to mid percents (and KO on stages like Mario Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, and Flat Zone 2).

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
You forgot to mention that the Fair goes a little UNDERNEATH Ike as well... so if they try to roll under you for punishment, the sword keeps going and knocks them way out behind you. It always pisses my friends off when I do that...

Yo, Kirk, I was just watching some vids on Captain Sa10's thread, and I saw a combo that you could add to your guide. If you watch some XSilvenX vids, you'll notice that he doesn't use the AAA combo that often, but what he does is, he does a single jab, and then does a tilt. I've seen him using Ftilt and Dtilt, and once he even used an Fsmash. It's a good technique, as it interrupts your opponent, and then sets them up for a strong tilt.

NeoHub

Smash Rookie
Great Guide, I hope to check back when you do another up-date. This really helped me!

spideybry

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spidey164
awesome guide kirk. i need to do some training before i go ahead and whup u tho, lolz jk

Valzek

Smash Rookie
I love this guide, it's so informative. I'm dying for the update. Kirk are you updating this guide soon?

Wolt

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to know he still has new videos, even if they aren't on his channel.

Sharky

Smash Master
yeah he hasn't done much recording in a while, I might have to go over there and fix that sometime =P

Wolt

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, heaven forbid if we don't get our daily fix of his skills in video format.

Kirk

Smash Champion
oh noes its a yoshi!!!

I did actually post the link in another thread...but its kinda like lost by now probably...oh well.

I think some of those vids are the first vids of me not playing Ike too lol.

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
Not playing Ike?!?!
Kirk, that is blasphemy! Go to your room!!
Actually, don't, I need this guide :p it is aweshum.

UobteX

Smash Cadet
I found a use for the ftilt:

1. Get in a situation where you can AAA your opponent

2. Press A once to jab, press it again to do the next attack, and then quickly cancel it by crouching (this technique is described in another thread)

3. Once it gets canceled, you ftilt your opponent instead of doing the last part of the AAA.

I found this works best when your opponent starts getting used to your AAA combos. Once you hit him with the first two A's, he'll think "ah dam I'm stuck in the combo again". He'll never expect the ftilt, compensating for the little delay that 'could' allow him to escape. The ftilt can also be replaced with a d-smash or dtilt, whatever move you need.

thx

Smash Ace
i like using f tilt when an opponent is running at you its a slow move so if they spot dodge itll hit them or if they roll at the beginning of it it might as well

(im just throwing that out there i dont think its that grt)

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Kirk I PMed you tihs same message, so whichever you reply to, ignore the other.

How are you. Hope you're doing well in Smash and life in general.

I have a few questions!

1. Do you have AIM? I'm looking to add people to my buddy list on AIM who are better than me so I can continue to improve. By fighting people like you guys I definitely feel I am getting better since yall force me to in order to hang. Hopefully you won't mind if some of my friends join our matches and do trade offs. As in, loser passes up and spectaces(1 or 2 people not playing run off the stage until their stocks are depleted).

2. I see you played Snake in a recent tournament. I know for sure that Snake is a disgusting, almost impossible match up for Ike. Since I dual main Marth, I try him, but he sucks vs Snake too. I'm considering learning snake myself to counter or maybe someone else who gives him trouble. Any suggestions?

3. Since you used Snake, is there a match up with Ike that you're not liking the looks of? It seems you used him vs Meta Knight. I hate that fight, so maybe I should focus on using Marth.

4. Overall, how are you feeling about Ike's spot in the tiers. It's very frustrating to me because I feel like he's almost holding back my full potential, but I don't want to give up a character I enjoy using so much. I'd rather not play at all than main somebody else to be honest. I like him that much.

My 2 main problems with Ike is how difficult it is to handle people who can turtle well and spam projectiles(skilled space animals, pit, link and toon link, zelda, and pikachu specifically). Sakurai simply didn't give Ike legitimate tools to handle them I feel, and it annoys me greatly. Patience is key I know, but still, very tough.

My 2nd problem is, as crazy as this sounds, Ike's lack of strength in key situations. As in, because Ike's moves are so slow, he doesn't have a legitimate KO punish a lot of the time. For example, If I block a barely grazing up Smash with Fox, with almost any other character I can punish with KOing force. With Ike he does not have a move fast enough. So it's almost like Ike is super strong, but weak when being strong matters the most if you get what I mean. Down Smash is very helpful, but it lacks range, so well spaced smashes are impossible to punish with it. I love me some AAA, but of course you know it can't KO until very high percentages. Bair is sick, but it's an aerial, and a back aerial at that, making it hard to set up a lot of the times. Fair is slow, etc. I know my mind games aren't at their full potential yet, so maybe once my set ups are more crisp and my movement less predictable those early 80%-90% KOs will come rather than struggling to KO a talented pit who's at 130%.

5. Lastly, I live in NJ and was wondering if you attend Manhattan's weekly web2zone tournaments hosted by Bum. I'm looking to get active in the tourmanet scene and was wondering where do you tend to go.

Thanks so much in advance bro, and hope to play you soon.

- Chris

Top Bottom