• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirk's Everything Ike Guide **New** Update: New Wifi Matches Added

Kirk

Smash Champion
Super Armor Video

Had an idea for my next video. I wanted to make a super armor video for Ike, showing the different uses for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas they want to see or test in the video? If so let me know!

So far the only moves I know of that have super armor are Eruption and Aether...I've been looking for more but no luck so far :/

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I heard something about Ike being able to pull a Counter while being hit, but that was at the demos so it may have changed.

Mezna

Smash Cadet
Thank you Kirk. You are my new god, and I will worship you.

Btw, it seems like Ike isn't that slow really. From what I've heard in forums.... "Lozl! Ike iz so sloww he startz his Fsmash 10 seconds b4 peeple come close!!1 roflcoptr"

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Man...work has been stressing me like a *****, and I was torn apart today about deciding to quit. Then I had the worry if I got a new job before March, if I wouldn't be able to take some days off for Brawl but I come home and see the updates on this thread.

Yayhuz. Pound that ish Kirk! *pound*

Kirk

Smash Champion
Man...work has been stressing me like a *****, and I was torn apart today about deciding to quit. Then I had the worry if I got a new job before March, if I wouldn't be able to take some days off for Brawl but I come home and see the updates on this thread.

Yayhuz. Pound that ish Kirk! *pound*
Glad to be of service :D

It makes me feel good that these videos and info are helping people out.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I wonder...can Ike's nair, if you hit with what looks like the initial attack animation, or the top of the hitbox, whatever, if you can do a very odd juggle? Like at low percents or something...I dunno. Seems very situational though, even if it would work.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I wonder...can Ike's nair, if you hit with what looks like the initial attack animation, or the top of the hitbox, whatever, if you can do a very odd juggle? Like at low percents or something...I dunno. Seems very situational though, even if it would work.
Hmm...that sounds interesting...I'll have to try that out now :D

I'll let you know my results.

EDIT: It seems like you can about 2-3 times...but only starting at about 25-30%. Anything lower and they just get back to the ground pretty quick. This is without DI or anything...but it seems like it can work. Near the end it can combo into any of your other aerials, depending on which way your opponent flys.

I'll keep this in mind for another tricks/techniques video if i do another later on.

Thanks for the idea Fizz-sama!

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
hmmm im looking forward to see that juggle combo and cant wait for another tricks and techs vid

Kirk

Smash Champion
hmmm im looking forward to see that juggle combo and cant wait for another tricks and techs vid
well, for it be legit, I have to actually try it against a human being :D This was just a quick look...to me it seems like it can be done...but we'll see!

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Hmm...that combo doesn't seem valid in my opinion. He said it worked for him when there was no DI involved. With a combo like that, they'll definitely be able to DI out of Æther's way, in my opinion, and possibly during the third nair, or after the uair. Of course, these are just ideas.

Edit: Just watched that Ike vs. Link match on the Bridge of Eldin. That Gale Boomerang brining Ike and his wonderful Quick Draw over the gap as priceless. Also, WTF!? Can Ike turn around during his fsmash, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Kirk

Smash Champion
Hmm...that combo doesn't seem valid in my opinion. He said it worked for him when there was no DI involved. With a combo like that, they'll definitely be able to DI out of Æther's way, in my opinion, and possibly during the third nair, or after the uair. Of course, these are just ideas.

Edit: Just watched that Ike vs. Link match on the Bridge of Eldin. That Gale Boomerang brining Ike and his wonderful Quick Draw over the gap as priceless. Also, WTF!? Can Ike turn around during his fsmash, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Just got done with a match with one of my friends. It IS possible to chain Nairs together. I got 2 Nairs in a row, was going for a 3rd but messed up the button timing, but I know that 3 is possible. And I'm sure it can be followed up with an Aether or some other attack.

And can you point me where tou saw that fsmash turn around? Maybe I can explain it but I'd have to find it first.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Just got done with a match with one of my friends. It IS possible to chain Nairs together. I got 2 Nairs in a row, was going for a 3rd but messed up the button timing, but I know that 3 is possible. And I'm sure it can be followed up with an Aether or some other attack.

And can you point me where tou saw that fsmash turn around? Maybe I can explain it but I'd have to find it first.
Oooh! Nair combos ftw, <3. I wonder if two can be linked into something other than another nair or Æther?

As for the turn-a-round fsmash, it was the move you used to win in the match against Link on the Bridge of Eldin.

Also, I noticed on some videos that people try to edgeguard with Ike's fsmash. I know edgeguarding in general is going to be harder due to sweet spotting, but is it possible you could test out how reliable the dsmash would be for edgeguarding? I ask since it comes out quicker and it's hitbox is low.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Dude... I agree completely with Spartan... awesome...

I'm just wondering, which attack do you think is better to use in order to get out of a juggle in the air, neutral B, or Dair? Cos, while neutral B has SAF and immense knockback, you have to charge it up, and therefore is easy to see coming, and Dair has a little more surprise involved.

pyroroth

Smash Journeyman

I'm just wondering, which attack do you think is better to use in order to get out of a juggle in the air, neutral B, or Dair? Cos, while neutral B has SAF and immense knockback, you have to charge it up, and therefore is easy to see coming, and Dair has a little more surprise involved.
Neutral B has super armor frames or whatever so it's probably better.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Oooh! Nair combos ftw, <3. I wonder if two can be linked into something other than another nair or Æther?

As for the turn-a-round fsmash, it was the move you used to win in the match against Link on the Bridge of Eldin.

Also, I noticed on some videos that people try to edgeguard with Ike's fsmash. I know edgeguarding in general is going to be harder due to sweet spotting, but is it possible you could test out how reliable the dsmash would be for edgeguarding? I ask since it comes out quicker and it's hitbox is low.
The turnaround Fsmash was just me walking one way, then just doing a pivot smash/smash other direction or however you want to call it. Smash out of walk o.O

I've attempted D-tilts before as edgeguards, only 1 has worked in all my play lol. Edge guarding just isn't what it once was :/ I'm unsure how a DSmash will do, but i'll try it out sometime.

Kirk

Smash Champion

It depends on the situation really. They both can be useful. The only reason to use eruption is for the SAF, if you are expecting to get hit. Usually it can be timed just right. Dair is quicker, like you said, and can be used in a tight spot. More than half the time i fall down with Nair, it has a wide range, it hits in front, below, and behind him (more cover) and it has less lag upon landing on the ground.

That's my two cents :D

Kirk

Smash Champion
Just realized I forgot to respond to this one!

I've been trying it out, and for the most part, it isn't much better, if at all, than the d-tilt. In general, the d-tilt and dsmash will miss the edgeguard, due to the autosweetspotting. Their hitboxes are about the same level, not too much far below Ike. In the event that they don't auto sweetspot, dtilt is the way to go IMO. Dsmash may be quicker, but the dtilt sends them downwards, while the dsmash will always send them upwards.

Another option is a short hopped dair. It hits a bit below the stage, so it may be a bit easier to connect. Or you could always try jumping off the stage to intercept if you're daring :p

In general, for edgeguarding:

If they're coming from above the stage, a Bair or an Aether works.

If they're coming from below, a Dtilt or a Dair is your best bet.

Come to think of it, if their recovery attack hits on the way up, which most do, I suppose you could theoretically try and use Counter to disrupt it and knock them back out. Ike's counter has decent knockback to it. It slows down his fall as well, so recovery isn't much of an issue, especially with aether at your disposal. I've yet to test it, as I just thought of it now lol, but something to think about.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Haha, thanks for the info. Hmm, yeah...It's funny to imagine Ike running off the stage and bairing the opponent while recovering, but due to the sweet spotting and how fast people seem to get to the stage from their up+b, looks tricky. I do like the idea of using the dair though.

Kirk

Smash Champion
New best of 3/5 matches against Robot and Yoshi are linked in the first post.

Also, added my Super Armor Video Demonstration. I hope you enjoy it as much as I had creating it :D

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Yea, I checked those out the day I found out Smashboards went down for a bit. Anywho, man...R.O.B. got owned on that one stage, can't remember the name of it, but wow. Utilt madness, lol.

I feel kinda' bad because I wanted to help contribute to things for Ike, but at least I can watch videos before it's released. Thanks for all your efforts thus far Kirk. You know they are and will continue to be appreciated.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Yea, I checked those out the day I found out Smashboards went down for a bit. Anywho, man...R.O.B. got owned on that one stage, can't remember the name of it, but wow. Utilt madness, lol.

I feel kinda' bad because I wanted to help contribute to things for Ike, but at least I can watch videos before it's released. Thanks for all your efforts thus far Kirk. You know they are and will continue to be appreciated.
That means a lot thank you very much :)

All for the betterment of Ike and for you guys who want to know more about him :D

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
How useful is Eruption for edgeguarding? I know that it hits below Ike even on the ground. Eruption may send them upward, but if it's easy to intercept a ledge grab with it, and you charge it up enough to KO them , it could have potential.

I like the new SAF video!

Kirk

Smash Champion
I like the new SAF video!
Thank you :D

How useful is Eruption for edgeguarding? I know that it hits below Ike even on the ground. Eruption may send them upward, but if it's easy to intercept a ledge grab with it, and you charge it up enough to KO them , it could have potential.
Come to think of it, I've actually only done this once...I believe it was in my Ike vs. Toon Link 1 video...It seems like it could work more often...though I do not use it as much. Thanks for the idea! I'll try it out more and let you know how reliable/effective it is :D

EDIT: Yes it was Ike vs. Toon Link 1...at around 1:52.

Kiederen

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen it anywhere else, so I was wondering: Can Ike be grabbed out of his Super Armor Frames, or does that prevent even grabs?

Kirk

Smash Champion
I haven't seen it anywhere else, so I was wondering: Can Ike be grabbed out of his Super Armor Frames, or does that prevent even grabs?
Great question! I just went and tested it out :D

Ike CAN be grabbed during is super armor frames. Although the window to grab is so small, it just doesn't seem like a practical technique, but an interesting find nonetheless :p

Thanks for the idea I really appreciate it. Learn something new every day :D

Kirk

Smash Champion
HUGE UPDATE!

Added the first part of my Ike guide to the first post. Complete, In-Depth(very in-depth) impressions on Ike's moveset.

It's a very long read, but I hope you all like it.

This is only the first part, the rest will come when I have more time.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
i thkni its a good guide so far dispite it's still incomplete. As I've said before, "give credit where credits due", and thats not just about your guide but your playin gstyle with ike is very good I believe.

Top Bottom