• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Kirby's Pondering Curse - Kirby Q&A/FAQ/Directory [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A NEW THREAD]

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
So I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to. How does one defeat Sonic as Kirby? His speed and priority are just so godly that I find myself getting outplayed no matter what approach I take against really good Sonic players.
I practice against a very good Sonic (he usually wins the local tournament I go to, went to Apex but I'm unsure how he did), and he's really good at getting in your face so that I can't really poke or really do anything out of the norm to shake him up.

Definitely don't play on Final Destination - Battlefield and Smashville are both better options. Combo with grabs while you can, attack frequently with safe options like Down Tilt, Back Air, Forward Air, Neutral Air, and Forward Tilt (I could be wrong on the Ftilt). If the Sonic tries to go far below the stage and Spring, don't try to attack - Sonic's Spring has invincibility on it during the first half. When he grabs the ledge, grab it, so when Sonic is sent off, you can Back Air! Mike Kirby did this on stream at Apex and it was hype.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
So is Burying Stone safe on Shield or whiff? I know Stone sometimes safe from grabs if time right. But how about Burying Stone?
Between Stone and Burying Stone, which one can act out of its transformation faster?

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
Hey so last night i was bored so i thought "I should go to training and find all the combos and followups for Kirby's copy ability" and now like after 7 hours of sucking people up i have a long list of combos and follow ups and was wondering if anyone would be interested in me making a thread or guide out of it.
P.s. it is like 7 pages long

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Hey so last night i was bored so i thought "I should go to training and find all the combos and followups for Kirby's copy ability" and now like after 7 hours of sucking people up i have a long list of combos and follow ups and was wondering if anyone would be interested in me making a thread or guide out of it.
P.s. it is like 7 pages long
Yeah, that would obviously be useful. Maybe you can post back here after making something out of it?

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
Yeah, that would obviously be useful. Maybe you can post back here after making something out of it?
ok it will take me a while to make it all pretty and stuff but ill make a guide out of it

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Was DI taken into account when testing this stuff out? It can really mess things up (like when I discovered Fthrow->Pac Key was a true combo, except they could actually airdodge or DI out, oops)

You should post a teaser in here of some of the stuff you found.

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
Was DI taken into account when testing this stuff out? It can really mess things up (like when I discovered Fthrow->Pac Key was a true combo, except they could actually airdodge or DI out, oops)

You should post a teaser in here of some of the stuff you found.
oh well i just finished it soo it might be too late. DI wasnt really taken into account because i didnt have a friend (or any) who wanted to test this stuff out for 7 hours at midnight. so this was all done in training. but ill add a disclaimer at the begining

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
DI wasnt really taken into account because i didnt have a friend (or any) who wanted to test this stuff out for 7 hours at midnight.
If I don't have anyone around to help with DI, I just use two controllers myself.
Sakurai status.

But, yeah, 7 hours of checking out Copy combos sounds awesome.

Last edited:

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
If I don't have anyone around to help with DI, I just use two controllers myself.
Sakurai status.

But, yeah, 7 hours of checking out Copy combos sounds awesome.
lol yeah it was definatley entertaining and i never thought about being two pleople at once lol

LaserLockOn

Smash Rookie
Is there a list of potential shield breaks Kirby can do against some fighters? Like Rock or fully charged Hammer? Just curious.

QuaintDeath

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm a Diddy Kong main, but I've been looking more and more into Kirby (with a bit of Peach on the side). Would any of you happen to have some advice for the Kirby vs Mario matchup? I fond myself just switching characters when I can't make due, but I'd like to really commit to Kirby. Any and all advice would help, thank you.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Is there a list of potential shield breaks Kirby can do against some fighters? Like Rock or fully charged Hammer? Just curious.
Stone
Full Charge Hammer
Semi Charge Aerial Hammer
Jab Combo
Fair
Certain Copy Powers like Samus', DK's, and Marth/Lucina.
Can all help break shield. The easiest - imo - is Stone if your opponent blocks a lot.

Hey, I'm a Diddy Kong main, but I've been looking more and more into Kirby (with a bit of Peach on the side). Would any of you happen to have some advice for the Kirby vs Mario matchup? I fond myself just switching characters when I can't make due, but I'd like to really commit to Kirby. Any and all advice would help, thank you.
We talked about the Mario Matchup right here - http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tage-discussion-week-of-pikachu.383428/page-3

Take a look at it.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Okay, weird question not relating to Kirby first, but do we have a Skype group? I hear most boards from most games do. Just curious.

More importantly, though, how does everyone see Kirbyciding in this game? It's traditionally been unreliable, but once P:M came out it's been a major topic. I've gotten successful Kirbycides in Smash 4, but I'm unsure if it's because I made good reads or people aren't used to playing against Kirby.
while the full kirbycide isn't useful against certain characters, other characters with predictable recoveries and how exploitable they are should be taken into account. An opponent like WFT or Duck hunt when taken below stage will almost all be forced to recover immediately, should be easy Nairs if you are ready. Additionally, aside from the obvious characters, characters like DK and ike will struggle when sent low on something like battlefield. essentially the lower the stage CAN go, the more this gets viable (kirby can still get back on a lot of different stages, Kirbycide really is the wrong term), still risky though

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
After losing 3 tourneys in a row to a sonic. I want to know if anyone knows how to deal with him and all of his lagless attacks

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
Hi guys.
Quick quesion : how many pummels should you do per %? For most characters it's 1 per 40%, but Kirby's much quicker / weaker. Have anyone tested that?

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Hi guys.
Quick quesion : how many pummels should you do per %? For most characters it's 1 per 40%, but Kirby's much quicker / weaker. Have anyone tested that?
If you mean on actual humans then I almost always go for 5 pummels at like 50% or above, but mainly 3 below, but I just pummel until I know when to use a throw, or learn how fast they break out of throws

I practice against a very good Sonic (he usually wins the local tournament I go to, went to Apex but I'm unsure how he did), and he's really good at getting in your face so that I can't really poke or really do anything out of the norm to shake him up.

Definitely don't play on Final Destination - Battlefield and Smashville are both better options. Combo with grabs while you can, attack frequently with safe options like Down Tilt, Back Air, Forward Air, Neutral Air, and Forward Tilt (I could be wrong on the Ftilt). If the Sonic tries to go far below the stage and Spring, don't try to attack - Sonic's Spring has invincibility on it during the first half. When he grabs the ledge, grab it, so when Sonic is sent off, you can Back Air! Mike Kirby did this on stream at Apex and it was hype.
Won't inhale work against sonic when he tries to approach you with his spin dash or whatever special he uses? At least sometimes?

Won't inhale work against sonic when he tries to approach you with his spin dash or whatever special he uses? At least sometimes?
Omg I accidently double posted D:

Last edited by a moderator:

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
I'm not really satisfied with the "5 pummels after 50%" answer because it doesn't work.

Since Kirby doesn't have any throw followups (beside things on less than half the cast at 0%), I'm conviced that optimal pummeling is essential to his gameplan. Do any of you have an optimal pummeling rate?

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Really sorry reserved did not mean to do that :(
But btw, does the first hit of hammer bash when used in midair have set knockback or something?
I saw a video where a Kirby player hit a TL with the first hit in the air, and it sent him nowhere whatsoever, but the second hit killed him easily. So that means it actually had some decent use?

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Yes it does have a set knockback so it can connect the second hit easier. But if you do it from a short hop only the first hit will connect so be careful when using this move close to the ground.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I'm not really satisfied with the "5 pummels after 50%" answer because it doesn't work.

Since Kirby doesn't have any throw followups (beside things on less than half the cast at 0%), I'm conviced that optimal pummeling is essential to his gameplan. Do any of you have an optimal pummeling rate?
I just pummel however much feels right. Usually at low percent I'll pummel once or twice, getting higher I'll pummel three times, high percent I may pummel like four or five times, and beyond that I will just pummel a ton.

If I had to guess, I would say 1.25 pummels/20% damage. But don't take my word for it.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace

Why does this matter so much anyways? Just pummel until your instincts tell you to throw, or if your fine with the damage.
His pummel is one of the fastest in the game there's not really an optimal pummeling rate because everyone pummels until...... Well.... When they know the damage is enough or when the opponent may break out.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Which of Kirby's moves are safest on block? I know dair is incredibly unsafe but I wanted a concrete list

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Which of Kirby's moves are safest on block? I know dair is incredibly unsafe but I wanted a concrete list
Grab or Inhale.

But on a serious note, I don't believe anything is safe for Kirby. I believe Asdioh said spaced Bair and retreating Fair can be safe. Funny enough, Full Charged Hammer Flip is sort of safe on block due to its push back.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Grab or Inhale.

But on a serious note, I don't believe anything is safe for Kirby. I believe Asdioh said spaced Bair and retreating Fair can be safe. Funny enough, Full Charged Hammer Flip is sort of safe on block due to its push back.
Um ftilt, dtilt are pretty safe, it really depends on the character.
Reverse Uair isn't too bad either.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I have been grab out of ftilt and dtilt. Maybe my spacing with these moves were terrible. I was thinking about Reverse Uair but Uair is funky so I barely use it.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
At least D-tilt is amazing against characters with high grabs. Against other characters, F-tilt and D-tilt may work if well spaced.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Ness main here! Got a question for you Kirby mains here though...

How much is the limit on Kirby's Stone armor? I saw that your guide said 40% but that doesn't sound right when I had this happen... And no, he did not just transform back as I hit PKT2 cause the damage was about half of its normal value. o.o
I should note that PKT2 was perfectly fresh and I believe that moves get a 1.05x boost for being fresh as well? Which makes Ness' PKT2 do... 26.25%?
Perhaps the limit is 25% and/or it's knockback based now? o.o

Also, I read that it doesn't have to be a single hit to break Stone armor, but is there a scenario where a multi-hitting move (or a combination of moves) can break it? It sounds really rare to me.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Ness main here! Got a question for you Kirby mains here though...

How much is the limit on Kirby's Stone armor?

Also, I read that it doesn't have to be a single hit to break Stone armor, but is there a scenario where a multi-hitting move (or a combination of moves) can break it? It sounds really rare to me.
Stone can take up 20% in damage, doesn't have to be a single hit either.

Once you exceed the limit, you're sent flying at whatever knockback you would have taken, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's how it works. In addition to the knockback, you also take half the damage the move would have done.

If I'm not mistaken, in Brawl you had to take 30% damage (same thing, doesn't have to be one hit) and then you would get set flying at the same knockback, but you don't actually take any damage. Maybe 30% damage was easier to do on a stationary target in Brawl, I believe damage numbers were lowered among most of the cast in the transition to 4.

Top Bottom