• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Kirby's Pondering Curse - Kirby Q&A/FAQ/Directory [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A NEW THREAD]

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
What are Kirby's bread and butter combos/frame traps on fast fallers? (Sheik)

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
What are Kirby's bread and butter combos/frame traps on fast fallers? (Sheik)
Utilts until they're too high for utilts, then uair to utilt. After that, you can either try for another uair, or try to shield a nair counter into a grab. They can escape this last bit by jumping away instead. This combo can eat up like 40 percent (or more if they don't react properly).

I believe utilts can combo into inhales as well (might need to sourspot them tho), and needles are very worth getting. There are probably more, but utilts is about as bread an butter as Kirby combos get.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys. What do you think of a Mega Man/Kirby team? I think it works really well since Mega Man defends Kirby from characters like Rosalina, Sonic, Luigi, and any spacing character. Kirby helps Mega Man out with most rushdown characters and characters with reflectors like Mario, Fox, etc.

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
I've recently been using Kirby as a secondary for certain matchups my main does poorly at.

What should I do regarding the neutral game and approaching?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I've recently been using Kirby as a secondary for certain matchups my main does poorly at.

What should I do regarding the neutral game and approaching?
Ah approaching. It often depends on the matchup. Often what I tend to do is weave in and out while using N-Air, B-Air, D-Air, and F-Air. While the startup on them is annoying, they all have almost no landing lag. A spaced F-Air in particular is often safe on shield and if you land in time you can get out a D-Tilt out on landing. That said, never get too high off the ground. Kirby's air speed and floatiness can make it hard to land at times so when approaching aerials only go high enough so that you can fast fall to safety if you whiff. And in general, staying grounded works well for Kirby thanks to his tilt frame data.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
So would it be appropriate if we made a thread where people could report their status on Smash Ladder? I am at home for break and have been taking the ladder more seriously and I've noticed several regulars around her that use it as well. I ask because I feel it be a good way to see which Kirby's are proficient even though they can't get to tournaments.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey uhh. .I kinda did some labbing for Kirby's Star Spit attack since there wasn't anything about it on Kurogane's site, & 'cus I was curious about it. So again, I don't know where to post it, but I guess I'll post it here until the question is answered, I guess?

Star Spit Attack

This is when you don't input anything & let yourself be shot away as a star:

At 0%, they break out on frame 33.
At 1-2%, they break out on frame 34.
At 3-4%, they break out of frame 35.
At 5-6%, they break out on frame 36.
At 7-8%, they break out on frame 37.
At 9-10%, they break out on frame 38.
At 11-12%, they break out on frame 39.
At 13-14%, they break out on frame 40.
At 15-16%, they break out on frame 41.
At 17-18%, they break out on frame 42.
At 19-20%, they break out on frame 43.
At 21-22%, they break out on frame 44.
At 23-24%, they break out on frame 45.
At 25-26%, they break out on frame 46.
At 27-28%, they break out on frame 47.
At 29-30%, they break out on frame 48.
At 31-32%, they break out on frame 49.
At 33-34%, they break out on frame 50.
At 35-36%, they break out on frame 51.
At 37-38%, they break out on frame 52.
At 39-40%, they break out of frame 53.
At 41-42%, they break out on frame 54.
At 43-44%, they break out on frame 55.
At 45-46%, they break out on frame 56.
At 47-48%, they break out on frame 57.
At 49-999%, they break out on frame 58.

Additional notes:
DISCLAIMER: I was frame skipping with 1/4 & 1/2 (Hold L) speeds in Training Mode. This may not be realistically true in normal game speed.
At 0% with Shulk, I can mash airdodge or mixed inputs & escape as early as frame 12 from the Spit Star attack.
At 49% with Shulk, I can mash airdodge or mixed inputs & escape as early as frame 17 from the Spit Star attack.

Additional data including Hitbox activity & FAF:
Frame 8-11? (minimum window)
Frame 8-57? (maximum window)
Star Spit Attack FAF = 31

Last edited:

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Hi, guys. So lately I have been trying to pick up Kirby as a possible secondary, and I need some help. I know that we have the up tilts and up air combo, but how can I turn around up tilt so that I can catch the opponent if they are moving away? Here is a video of SuperGirlKels doing it on Nairo at this moment:

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
Hi, guys. So lately I have been trying to pick up Kirby as a possible secondary, and I need some help. I know that we have the up tilts and up air combo, but how can I turn around up tilt so that I can catch the opponent if they are moving away? Here is a video of SuperGirlKels doing it on Nairo at this moment:

Try holding up and angling the stick away while hitting attack. Just keep attacking while sliding that stick away so you can get a feel for the acceptable range of an uptilt. Then go back and forth a few times to switch between utilt directions. That should give you a sense of where your stick should be for forward- and backward-facing utilts.

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
What is Kirby's best tool for pulling off the 2 Frame Punish? I've tried down-tilt but the timing seemed very strict.

Any good moves he can use to pull it off?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Everytime I've gone for inhale shenanigans on a good player it always backfires because they just footstool me out of it and then I'M IN A BAD POSITION. X~X

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
What is Kirby's best tool for pulling off the 2 Frame Punish? I've tried down-tilt but the timing seemed very strict.

Any good moves he can use to pull it off?
Down smash punished the 2 frame, so us it if your opponent is at a high percent. You may be able to get a kill with a well timed one.

Bo0tleg

Smash Rookie
Hey. I'm Bootleg. I am more commonly called SD. I've played pink Kirby since creation. I am awful at play competitive Melee, decent in Brawl, and (*TBD*) in current gen. I made a couple videos for Brawl, but haven't been into the competitive scene. I consider myself a casual player, so maybe that's my problem. I find myself unhappy with how low Kirby is in the tier list. Even with my average Kirby, I feel he is underrated. Help me, I have to fix this.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Hey. I'm Bootleg. I am more commonly called SD. I've played pink Kirby since creation. I am awful at play competitive Melee, decent in Brawl, and (*TBD*) in current gen. I made a couple videos for Brawl, but haven't been into the competitive scene. I consider myself a casual player, so maybe that's my problem. I find myself unhappy with how low Kirby is in the tier list. Even with my average Kirby, I feel he is underrated. Help me, I have to fix this.
Bringing Kirby up is going to be quite a challenge, as MikeKirby doesn't really play or place well anymore, Komota is super inconsistent, and kid goggles more or less vanished. To really bring Kirby up the tier list requires going to regionals and nationals, getting out of pools or at least close to it, and being able to pull off a decent amount of upsets on top players. That being said, this all depends on where you go to for tourneys and if you're willing to travel. Until then, he's probably going to stay where he is on the tier list, as he has a really bad MU chart overall, and not a good enough advantage state to make up for his poor neutral.

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
I'm going to be 100% straight up honest with you, I love Kirby, but solo maining Kirby will never work. He loses 70:30 matchups against cloud and sonic, and struggles against many top tiers. Yes, he has some good top tier matchups (sheik, zss, mario, fox) but his bad matchups are too poor to play. If you want to prove Kirby's potential, you're gonna have to play him as a counter pick character. Poyo plays cloud and Kirby, kid giggles plays sonic and Kirby, and I believe mikekirby picked up meta knight as well.
Tl:dr pick up another character for Kirby's bad matchups

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'm going to be 100% straight up honest with you, I love Kirby, but solo maining Kirby will never work. He loses 70:30 matchups against cloud and sonic, and struggles against many top tiers. Yes, he has some good top tier matchups (sheik, zss, mario, fox) but his bad matchups are too poor to play. If you want to prove Kirby's potential, you're gonna have to play him as a counter pick character. Poyo plays cloud and Kirby, kid giggles plays sonic and Kirby, and I believe mikekirby picked up meta knight as well.
Tl:dr pick up another character for Kirby's bad matchups
And even with that it won't be enough to bring up Kirby in the tierlist. To do so requires him being solo-mained which is shown to be next to impossible due to him being a really poor character.

OCDkirby

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone,
As a Kirby main, I'm running into some problems as there isn't really a competitive meta for him, so I can't pick up techniques by watching pros. Can you guys tell me some viable running short hop combos? I'd also like to know how to ledge guard with Kirby. Thanks!

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Hey everyone,
As a Kirby main, I'm running into some problems as there isn't really a competitive meta for him, so I can't pick up techniques by watching pros. Can you guys tell me some viable running short hop combos? I'd also like to know how to ledge guard with Kirby. Thanks!

Positive most of this still works.

Also:

For edge guarding, there's several things:

• Well timed D-Air. It hits at frame 18 so you have to start it before you come down.
  • Ledge Trump B-Air is great. Tough to master to though
  • For super linear recovery, Inhale and spit can steal double jumps
  • D-Tilt and D-Smash catch 2 frames

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog

Positive most of this still works.

Also:

For edge guarding, there's several things:

• Well timed D-Air. It hits at frame 18 so you have to start it before you come down.
  • Ledge Trump B-Air is great. Tough to master to though
  • For super linear recovery, Inhale and spit can steal double jumps
  • D-Tilt and D-Smash catch 2 frames
0/10 no fthrow to hammer kill confirm at 70%.

Now, what are Kirby's best kill options?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
0/10 no fthrow to hammer kill confirm at 70%.

Now, what are Kirby's best kill options?
For killing in neutral? I'd say some of the more reliable ones as follows:

• D-Air to Down Smash
  • D-Air to B-Air if the enemy goes behind you
  • D-Air to Up Smash if they get spiked into the stage. D-Smash can work too.
  • D-Tilt trip to F-Smash
  • D-Tilt trip to RAR B-Air
  • Fast-Fall F-Air to F-Smash
  • Up Throw
Depending on the matchup, there could be other things you can try but those are the ones I can think of that don't require to you to make super hard reads or overcommit. Kirby's smash attacks and B-Air are strong enough to kill raw but these are probably the best setups. And if all else fails you always got the Up Throw so never get too desperate for a kill unless you're down by a lot.

Last edited:

OCDkirby

Smash Rookie
For killing in neutral? I'd say some of the more reliable ones as follows:

• D-Air to Down Smash
  • D-Air to B-Air if the enemy goes behind you
  • D-Air to Up Smash if they get spiked into the stage. D-Smash can work too.
  • D-Tilt trip to F-Smash
  • D-Tilt trip to RAR B-Air
  • Fast-Fall F-Air to F-Smash
  • Up Throw
Depending on the matchup, there could be other things you can try but those are the ones I can think of that don't require to you to make super hard reads or overcommit. Kirby's smash attacks and B-Air are strong enough to kill raw but these are probably the best setups. And if all else fails you always got the Up Throw so never get too desperate for a kill unless you're down by a lot.
I agree. Old Reliable is definitely d-tilt>dsmash. I also like catching someone's dair with a usmash.

Top Bottom