• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Kirby's Pondering Curse - Kirby Q&A/FAQ/Directory [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A NEW THREAD]

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
It's actually 20%? Weird, cause I don't think the sourspot of PKT2 (which does 22% normally) breaks Stone. I told this to my friend and he said PKT2 sourspot doesn't break it. =P

So for a multi-hitting move to break Stone, would something like Charizard's Rock Smash be an example? That's probably the only one I could think of.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I just did some testing of my own, and found that Stone can tank at least 23% (Falcon D-tilt (10%) and Falcon Kick at close range (13%)) but can't tank Ganon's uncharged F-smash (24%, I ended up taking 12% after). I don't think anything staled, so I guess the limit is somewhere between 23 and 24%.

Well, I guess it's useful to know.

Last edited:

Triple R

Smash Lord
I've had mixed results on hitting PKT2 with stone as well. Like previously mentioned, probably has something to deal with weak and strong PKT2 hits. The tail of PKT1 could maybe be doing some damage to rock right before PKT2 activates too or something weird.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Hello, fellow puffballs! We of the Jigglypuff Boards need some info regarding Monado Kirby. Our buddy Gr4pefru1t is making a formula to predict when rest will kill at various stages of rage. We'd like to know the various weights and fall speeds of the different arts, so that we can input the values into said formula. Thanks!

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Is there a more guranteed way of getting Kirby's up b spike at the ledge?

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I've been having a lot of troubles playing with Kirby, as well as the fundamentals themselves. I don't know how I want to play with him in terms of my own little playstyle. I keep on getting bodied because I keep on getting grabbed when I shield projectiles and any means of flying away is met with a KO on their side. I don't want to roll too much because it is bad (I feel like I roll only 2-4 times per match), don't want to shield too less, and learn a good playstyle.

I don't know what to do in terms of projectile-happy characters with Mario, Pikachu, and such, nor...anybody for that matter. I need help. What are some steps that I need to take?

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
@ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima nice name change the thread got! O.o
I've been having a lot of troubles playing with Kirby, as well as the fundamentals themselves. I don't know how I want to play with him in terms of my own little playstyle. I keep on getting bodied because I keep on getting grabbed when I shield projectiles and any means of flying away is met with a KO on their side. I don't want to roll too much because it is bad (I feel like I roll only 2-4 times per match), don't want to shield too less, and learn a good playstyle.

I don't know what to do in terms of projectile-happy characters with Mario, Pikachu, and such, nor...anybody for that matter. I need help. What are some steps that I need to take?
Dealing with projectiles is kinda hard sometimes. Shielding them is not always the best solution, although it kinda works against fast projectiles at long range as you won't risk getting grabbed and shielding is the fastest defensive option. Against projectiles like Mario's and Pikachu's you may want to avoid them by jumping and try to punish their movements if you're close enough, as it won't get you grabbed. Short hopped aerials to cancel out the projectiles also works here as well as jabs I think.
I myself have some trouble dealing with Link in particular as he can just throw out a complete wall of projectiles. Getting better at the game is a lot about just practicing, but if you can get hold of some videos of you playing to put up here, I think it will be easier to give you advice.

pvt_dishsoap

Smash Rookie
NNID
Reesha123
Hey I have a question to anyone who can/is willing to answer.
So for awhile now, I've been playing some online against friends and randoms, and what I always find is that against good opponents, I get juggled immensely and stuck into the air unable to get back to the floor because no matter what I try to get back down, I am always punished. Any Ideas on how to get back to the floor safely?

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
So for awhile now, I've been playing some online against friends and randoms, and what I always find is that against good opponents, I get juggled immensely and stuck into the air unable to get back to the floor because no matter what I try to get back down, I am always punished. Any Ideas on how to get back to the floor safely?
My only suggestion is to use your multiple jumps to beat out their range and either attack at the end of their animation or air dodge around them. I would suggest using stone or up b to the ledge but those could both be punished

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
An interesting idea is actually side B. It has immense lag, but the threat of it may be enough to allow you to fall far enough to recover low using your jumps and Up B. However, I would probably recommend stone or immediate air cutter since they're much safer (although actually hitting the side B is satisfying).

darktiko

Smash Cadet
NNID
epicShadowman
3DS FC
1950-9084-7402
Sorry if this is a noob question, as I haven't played much of Kirby yet but I seem to remember being able to instantly side b out of a down b and it doesn't seem to work anymore. Am I just getting the timing wrong or does it not work anymore? I understand this wasn't that great of thing to do but it was useful if they were just waiting for you to pop out of your down b.
Nurfed I think... Sorry for ya..

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Are there any matchups for Kirby that are particularly good to practice or is this a much more player specific issue?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Are there any matchups for Kirby that are particularly good to practice or is this a much more player specific issue?
Two good match-ups to practice up with Kirby are: Sheik & Zero Suit Samus. While Kirby may not necessarily have an overall match-up advantage these two characters are considered strong and common to competitive play. Since there are so few Kirby players competitively any knowledge you garner against these characters is practically helping you to skew the fight in your favor against an opponent who is not as comfortable in the fight against Kirby. Being able to duck under specific attacks alone is enough to throw an opponent off mentally as he struggles to learn which attacks he can no longer reliably use.

anyone have a list of all changes done to kirby in all patches?
Try here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-patch-version-1-0-6-7-thread-updated-apr-26-8am-pst.398902/

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I'd have to agree with Sheik & Zero Suit on T!m's side, and also add Captain Falcon, Fox, and Villager in the mix, as they can teach you some valuable tips on being an efficient and effective Kirby, as well as knowing how to use certain moves. Those three are pretty back-and-forth on who has the advantage, but they are all quite common here and there, so it is definitely worth investing some time practicing those matchups as well, what with Falcon being susceptible to aerial strings, Fox to the U-Tilt, and Villager thanks to aerial mobility and Pocketing his stuff.

Overall though, just play different people and study from it all, and you'll be golden. The best way to learn is to just get out there and play. Though do mind your health, that's important too. XD

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Is his Dair safe on shield as an approach or something?? I've had trouble punishing it with a shieldgrab.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Is his Dair safe on shield as an approach or something?? I've had trouble punishing it with a shieldgrab.
Kirby's D-air isn't what I would call 'safe' on shield. The trouble you may have with punishing it with Shield-Grab could come from his squishing animation (it may cause a Grab to miss). It might also be due to timing since Kirby's D-air usually generates a hitbox when he hits the ground allowing Kirby to create a little more Shield Lag/Stun which may give him enough time to throw out a quick Tilt or Standard Attack before you respond.

Try grabbing sooner, or go for something else: a Jump-Canceled Shield option, maybe.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
It might also be because Blue Slippy's standing grab takes around as long to come out as Yoshi's. That is to say, really long.

I know that oos jab is a common tactic from lurking around at the Greninja boards, so maybe you could try that? I'd say dtilt as well, but I'm not confident that it's fast enough.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I'm trying to find some mix-ups or such with Kirby right now, and I only know of SH FF F-Air and then jab 1/ jab 2 mix-ups, as well as U-Tilt mix-ups. Are there any other mix-ups that I'm missing?

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I'm trying to find some mix-ups or such with Kirby right now, and I only know of SH FF F-Air and then jab 1/ jab 2 mix-ups, as well as U-Tilt mix-ups. Are there any other mix-ups that I'm missing?
Well do you mean for a specific situation or just generally? I mean, there are mixups for every situation and you weren't really clear on what you meant with your examples... There are mix-ups on how to approach, there are mix-ups after you land a D-air etc.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Well do you mean for a specific situation or just generally? I mean, there are mixups for every situation and you weren't really clear on what you meant with your examples... There are mix-ups on how to approach, there are mix-ups after you land a D-air etc.
I guess anything. Teach me the ways of mix-ups. All of them, since that is a critical part in Smash, and I probably am just blind to these things.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I guess anything. Teach me the ways of mix-ups. All of them, since that is a critical part in Smash, and I probably am just blind to these things.
Alright... The basic thing about mix-ups is obviously to make yourself unpredictable, although you have to make your unpredictability useful. For instance, if you approach often with a retreating F-air or a crossup D-air then your opponent will probably start shielding whenever you come at them from the air. This is when you could jump at them and fast fall to a grab instead as a mix-up, or if you can crouch their grab you could just land in front of them and crouch if they try to grab making them punishable. No idea if this helped or not, but this is all I have time for right now. I'm also nowhere near being the best Kirby player here, but I'm trying my best to be of use.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I can't test this right now, but I'm just curious. If Kirby copies Aura Sphere, does he get Lucario's aura mechanics for that move? Would be nice to know incase I face off a Kirby as Lucario. :p

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
What are Kirby main's current opinion of the Giant Hammer custom?
What happens when you give the 4th-lightest character in the game a charge move with crazy range that puts him in an unflinchable state only breakable by a grab which is very risky to do so with getting nailed and dying at ~20%?

Yeah. It's ridiculous and I love it

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
after watching replays I realized I tend to air dodge as I jump a lot more than I should. I've cut back on it a lot sonce then but I still do it from time to time. I thought this was a bad habit but then I saw MikeKirby and Ken109 both doing it in recently uploaded matches of theirs on Team Spooky.
Is this like a general habit that a lot of Kirby players do or is it a situational strategy?

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
after watching replays I realized I tend to air dodge as I jump a lot more than I should. I've cut back on it a lot sonce then but I still do it from time to time. I thought this was a bad habit but then I saw MikeKirby and Ken109 both doing it in recently uploaded matches of theirs on Team Spooky.
Is this like a general habit that a lot of Kirby players do or is it a situational strategy?
That's interesting. It's one of those things you pick up as a Kirby player I suppose. Since we all know Kirby can't approach for, literally, his life, baiting is very important. Airdodges are an easy way to bait out aerials against certain playstyles (think Mario/Falcon) for a quick punish and if you get the right hits, you can convert that to a 20%+ string. Airdodging is also relatively safe with Kirby because he's floaty and has extra jumps as insurance but you're right, airdodging shouldn't be overused because it can be punished.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
That's interesting. It's one of those things you pick up as a Kirby player I suppose. Since we all know Kirby can't approach for, literally, his life, baiting is very important. Airdodges are an easy way to bait out aerials against certain playstyles (think Mario/Falcon) for a quick punish and if you get the right hits, you can convert that to a 20%+ string. Airdodging is also relatively safe with Kirby because he's floaty and has extra jumps as insurance but you're right, airdodging shouldn't be overused because it can be punished.
I don't think it should be abused though since if your opponents catches on you can get punished for it.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone give me any advice on doing kirby's Bthrow to uair? I saw @MikeKirby doing it aND tried to replicate it but couldn't is there a trick to it or something?

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Can anyone give me any advice on doing kirby's Bthrow to uair? I saw @MikeKirby doing it aND tried to replicate it but couldn't is there a trick to it or something?
From what i've tested it only registers as a true combo on heavyweights with big bodies like DK and DDD. Oddly enough it also works on Kirby too, I'd make a list but I don't have my wii-u at the moment.

Edit:Also not sure if DI is a factor because nobody ever gets out of u-air's range in time.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
From what i've tested it only registers as a true combo on heavyweights with big bodies like DK and DDD. Oddly enough it also works on Kirby too, I'd make a list but I don't have my wii-u at the moment.

Edit:Also not sure if DI is a factor because nobody ever gets out of u-air's range in time.
I know MKRBY made a list at one point of who it works on and what percent yet can get out of it but I tried it on Kirby and couldn't get it

Top Bottom