• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's 1.10 Buffs

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
I hope to God Kirby still stays under the radar for now, I don't want to be in competition with a million other Kirby mains.
Nobody but us Kirby players really seem to be noticing for now, but a good advantage I always seemed to have was that others didn't have much practice on Kirby. This makes Kirby better against Fastfallers, and certainly a little better against characters such as Rosaluma, Sheik, Sonic, and Yoshi. (Yoshi jus a lil bit tho)

link2702

Smash Champion
<.< enjoy kirby mains, please excuse me now while i go cry a bit over the nerf to falcon.

seriously, we were finally just recovering from the craptastic failcon of brawl, and enjoying how sm4sh falcon was decent now, then suddenly the nerf train starts happening. First it was Uair, now its bair. Soon I get the feeling we'll lose the few options we had out of dthrow. that one small change to his bair just hurt our safest kill move.....:facepalm:

*sigh* aw well...least shulk and link my two other characters feel relatively safe for now. Shulk gets a slightly faster back slash, link IIRC gets a small grab buff.

Last edited:

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I hope to God Kirby still stays under the radar for now, I don't want to be in competition with a million other Kirby mains.
Nobody but us Kirby players really seem to be noticing for now, but a good advantage I always seemed to have was that others didn't have much practice on Kirby. This makes Kirby better against Fastfallers, and certainly a little better against characters such as Rosaluma, Sheik, Sonic, and Yoshi. (Yoshi jus a lil bit tho)
I mean, it's a great change, but it's not turning Kirby into a top tier character, so I wouldn't worry about that :p

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
I mean, it's a great change, but it's not turning Kirby into a top tier character, so I wouldn't worry about that :p
Well Kirby players still have to put in work to get results, but this opens another door for Kirby.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Forward throw buff is what I always wanted out of Kirby. He deserves it.

On fast fallers I'm able to get f-throw to Hammer at around 60-80%, that's pretty funny. You can also get down-aerial to footstool if you're near the ledge.

Has anyone found a reliable way to regrab at low percent? It seems like it should be possible.

Last edited:

HiNiTe

Smash Cadet
Kirby's jab was indeed changed to link better as indicted in the dumps. Jab 2, Rapidjab startup, Rapid jab, and Finisher were modified slightly,

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I did the fthrow to dair to footstool combo on someone, but you have to land a grab at the very edge of the stage. If your opponent specifically avoids that, it'd be pretty hard to get the grab at that position. Then again, you could do it when someone does a neutral getup or a getup attack.

On fast fallers I'm able to get f-throw to Hammer at around 60-80%, that's pretty funny. You can also get down-aerial to footstool if you're near the ledge.

Has anyone found a reliable way to regrab at low percent? It seems like it should be possible.
As far as I can tell, fthrow > fastfall up air > turn around up tilt > turn around grab should work. Maybe even not turning around and just getting the sourspot of up tilt, though that doesn't seem reliable. Obviously this should only work on fast fallers.

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
I did the fthrow to dair to footstool combo on someone, but you have to land a grab at the very edge of the stage. If your opponent specifically avoids that, it'd be pretty hard to get the grab at that position. Then again, you could do it when someone does a neutral getup or a getup attack.

As far as I can tell, fthrow > fastfall up air > turn around up tilt > turn around grab should work. Maybe even not turning around and just getting the sourspot of up tilt, though that doesn't seem reliable. Obviously this should only work on fast fallers.
At low percents: fthrow> ff fair (second kick of fair)> dtilt (trip) > dash grab

Imber

Smash Cadet
At low percents: fthrow> ff fair (second kick of fair)> dtilt (trip) > dash grab
ok is this a true combo i've been trying it for awhile and i can't get the dtilt to combo at all it feels really close but I can't get it. This is important I think because if they can shield before dtilt hits it's not like we can grab instead as a mixup because of the no chaingrabbing rule.

V23

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yvesdev
ok is this a true combo i've been trying it for awhile and i can't get the dtilt to combo at all it feels really close but I can't get it. This is important I think because if they can shield before dtilt hits it's not like we can grab instead as a mixup because of the no chaingrabbing rule.
i get the combo after the 3rd hit of fair not the 2nd, try it.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I'm telling everyone the secret nair buff: It actually got nerfed. waay less knockback.
Awesome, more combos out of landing nair. It's not like we killed with it anyway. Good buff.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Anyone know if Copy Abilities changed? So like... does Greninja's copy ability have faster startup? Or does the change list include copy ability changes?

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
I called it, I said it in detail of how they should fix forward throw and they did exactly that! :pimp:

Last edited:

ludvig4

Smash Rookie
NNID
ludvig4
Awesome, more combos out of landing nair. It's not like we killed with it anyway. Good buff.
Well, it's not that great of a buff. it was actually pretty good for killing before, and the move doesn't have that much hitstun, so getting a combo (at least from the start of the move) isn't that easy

tencoth

Smash Rookie

F-throw, Up air, D-tilt can combo and trip, allowing a regrab

tencoth

Smash Rookie
There are so, SO many powerful Neutral B's kirby can now combo into. DK's Punch, charge shots, Exploding can, keys, bells. This makes kirby absolutely ridiculous. His problems in the neutral remain but BOY am I happy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Neat, neat, neaaat! Piledriver Combos, ahoy!

Quite digging what was done to Kirbster here. Him and Robin be blessed this patch. Happy guy here.

pbjezgoud

Smash Cadet
NNID
PBJezGOUD
Is this combo (F-Throw > U-Air) a low percent combo, or any damage really? I don't use Kirby often and I was wondering how much knock back comes into play.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
It works from 0% to mid-ish percents. I believe it actually stops working earlier on fast fallers such as Sheik as they can DI away and quickly fall out of range of any aerials. On a heavyweight like Ganondorf, it should still work at 50% or so. I imagine it would stop working on Jigglypuff at 20 or 30%, just to give you an idea.

pbjezgoud

Smash Cadet
NNID
PBJezGOUD
It works from 0% to mid-ish percents. I believe it actually stops working earlier on fast fallers such as Sheik as they can DI away and quickly fall out of range of any aerials. On a heavyweight like Ganondorf, it should still work at 50% or so. I imagine it would stop working on Jigglypuff at 20 or 30%, just to give you an idea.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I've always like playing as Kirby for fun, just couldn't get into a good rhythm. Hopefully this will help a little.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone test if Marth can still do a counter between the transitions:

>2nd jab to rapid jab.
>Rapid jab to finish blow.

My friend who's an excellent Marth player always managed to squeeze counter between those transitions. So that could be a good test for the new jab c:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Do Nair got weaker?
At what % did it KO before?
I'm testing on Mario at the middle of FD
KOs at 200

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Can anyone test if Marth can still do a counter between the transitions:

>2nd jab to rapid jab.
>Rapid jab to finish blow.

My friend who's an excellent Marth player always managed to squeeze counter between those transitions. So that could be a good test for the new jab c:
Don't worry they sped the animation up so it transitions into the jab faster. You can't escape the jab in the middle of the transition to the Vulcan jab.
Do Nair got weaker?
At what % did it KO before?
I'm testing on Mario at the middle of FD
KOs at 200
It used to KO at 198% so it's slightly weaker. Not sure how to feel about that.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Nair was always weak. It's even unviable to use offstage due to how much lag it has without auto-canceling. It doesn't matter as long as it still works as a keep away. It was never a kill move.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
These buffs HAVE to make kirby more Viable right? I mean come on, his grab and throw game is almost like it was in Brawl, and it was among the best in that game.
If anything these buffs should either make him less underrated, or make him slightly higher in the tier list(maybe 1 or 2 spots couldn't hurt right?)

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
Anyone know if Copy Abilities changed? So like... does Greninja's copy ability have faster startup? Or does the change list include copy ability changes?
It depends if that character had a buff or nerf in their neutral B. For example, wii fit's neutral B got buffed to now heal 2% fully charged instead of 1. If we copy the ability, we now have the power to heal 2%.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
There are so, SO many powerful Neutral B's kirby can now combo into. DK's Punch, charge shots, Exploding can, keys, bells. This makes kirby absolutely ridiculous. His problems in the neutral remain but BOY am I happy.
He could do that all before this patch

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
These buffs HAVE to make kirby more Viable right? I mean come on, his grab and throw game is almost like it was in Brawl, and it was among the best in that game.
If anything these buffs should either make him less underrated, or make him slightly higher in the tier list(maybe 1 or 2 spots couldn't hurt right?)
I think he jumps to a solid high-mid imp. It makes his neutral game better, combo game better, and approaches better. Pretty big if you ask me.

Top Bottom