• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I kinda liked Squeak Squad but that's just nostalgia. Playing through the game when i got older made me notice how short and bland it was.
That sort of reminds of how I felt when I tried to play through Nightmare in Dreamland again recently.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
So... I played Squeak Squad. That was the most anti-climatic Kirby game I've played so far. It's not a bad game, just very disappointing. Some of the new abilities like Bubble and Magic Kirby were pretty fun, whereas some like Metal weren't that fun to use. One thing that annoyed me was how storing powers worked. I'll give the designers credit for allowing me to hold on more than 1 item, but what made it annoying was how it conflicted with the treasures. I had to give up items and copy abilities just to store them, and that got irritating. The Squeaks themselves... what was the point of them? I get that they're a team of bandits, but after playing the game, I don't even know the names of any of them. Their fights were predictable and boring and they never changed their tactics at all. At least the treasures were decent, and I do like the option to change Kirby's color. That added some decent flavor in my opinion. The soundtrack was pretty solid, and once again, has Kirby remixes, which are always good if you ask me. Hearing Butter Building is a plus in my book. The story was stupid, but since Kirby's never been a story-driven series, I'll let it slide, even if I don't know a thing about the Squeaks. The backtracking was the worst part. Games like Kirby 64 had backtracking too, but it didn't annoy me to the level that Squeak Squad did. Maybe it was because some of the levels, one of them being a maze, requires complete knowledge of the stage to get all of the chests in one go, and playing levels over and over just to get all the chests made it feel like a hassle. Squeak Squad just felt rushed to hell, and it didn't feel like it was a good rush job either. It felt lazy at some points, and it disappointed me because this game had potential to be great. I'm not going to call Squeak Squad awful as a game because it is a functional, playable, and well-made game, but as a Kirby game, it's not that good. I'd call it average at best, and terrible at worst. As to how I rank the Kirby games from best to worst from what I've played, here's my list:
Kirby 64, Triple Deluxe, Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland, Super Star (Ultra), Squeak Squad, Dream Land.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
There's something so satisfying about reading a counter spammer. Just played this FG Lucario - he's at 150 and I won't let him land. Keep hitting him with uncharged USmash, doesn't kill. Third time he tries to DT and I hold it.

So good...

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
There's something so satisfying about reading a counter spammer. Just played this FG Lucario - he's at 150 and I won't let him land. Keep hitting him with uncharged USmash, doesn't kill. Third time he tries to DT and I hold it.

So good...
Honestly, my best cheese to go with when baiting counter spammers is up throwing them, empty hop and charge up up-smashes. Lol personally I never really had trouble with counter users just based off the situations they use them in alone.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
quick somebody tell me if kirby's stone hits from above! like if someone was on top of it before it fell would it hurt them?

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
quick somebody tell me if kirby's stone hits from above! like if someone was on top of it before it fell would it hurt them?
I believe the hitboxes encompass Kirby's whole stone form, so as long as they're touching you when you start falling, it should hit them.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Really their DI is easy to account for and to see what you can combo into. I play Melee so it's super easy for me because I'm used to reacting quickly. BTW on fastfallers Fthrow is less optimal at ~60% and on floaties it's less optimal at ~40%.
Unless you have customs, such as Jumping Inhale and Upper cutter. I've watched nerds get killed at 115% off the top because of Upper Cutter.

But anyway, I like to use platforms when my opponents are nearby them to use Final Cutter's projectile to catch them and get a combo string. This almost always works, and I don't see many people do it, any reasons or thoughts on why? (I don't abuse it unless I have a lead and they aren't really approaching.)

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Does Kirby have any reliable strings at mid or high percents?

Also are Shop needles into dair something we can do when we absorb shiek?

I won't have a wii u or a 3ds for the forseeable future so I cant check anything reliably xP

Last edited:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Dair has combos at pretty much all percents but its stupid hard to hit with against good people.

down tilt has a 30% trip rate and combos into f smash. but if their too far away run at them and punish a back roll with up smash.

by the way everyone, over 100% if you can find away to make it hit without landing, dair to bair is a true combo.
example. if both you and your opponent are standing on a platform, full jump a dair, and manuver yourself so you dont land on the platform and they do. then while youre falling past them, you can land a bair.
this also works on the edge of stages.
alternatively you can do it with a double jump dair, and do it anywhere on stage, but that doesnt hit any standing opponents.

lastly, that f throw footstool grounding stone pushes the bowser and ddd matchups heavily in our favor. its really easy to do on them, and pretty much guarantees us a free 70% off of a low percent grab.

oh, and f throw to final cutter around 40-50 is really good against most people, it wont always hit, but if they jump away, they cant punish it. and gives you a chance to punish their landing further.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
All of the above is true!

Fthrow is really good, but unfortunately it's not broken OP tier because of how DI works at higher percents, and how hard it is to get massive % on people who know how to DI it at lower percents. I thought it was amazing until I saw current patch Donkey Kong do Upward Cargo Throw -> Bair -> UpB for a 49% combo, because UpB does insane damage... and then I was like :c because he can do the same throw for a kill like 20% later

Oh right I posted this in another thread, but I forgot to mention it on the Kirby boards! Anytime I'm watching a stream and a Kirby Upthrows somebody at ~140% or so, the commentators get all hyped like they think it will be a kill, and then it's nowhere close and they're like "oh"

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I hope Sakurai knows/realizes Uthrow is a bit too weak now, considering other random throws that dont look like they should kill, kill like 30-40% earlier... like the one above.

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
Been heavily exploring Kirby Air Ride's data heavily (yes, that game of our childhood).

If anybody has experience with AR Codes, let me know! I may uncover one of the largest unused feature of that game (a map larger than 98% of the game's files, only being beaten by the game's movies)

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Eh, I tested fthrow on Sheik with DI away and still got some serious percent, and that was without the up air > perfect pivot which Reserved apparently thinks is amazing. Unless there's a better way to DI it?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
???

F-Throw will never combo after 30%~ unless it's Final Cutter or certain Copy Abilities. F-Throw > U-Air > PP U-Tilt gives the most reward and gives the best positional advantage for Kirby, so turnaround U-Tilt is kinda useless. F-Air and D-Air both have their uses but they're MU/position dependant.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
So then I'd have to switch the c-stick to attacks in order to make PP attacks easier to make? PP Smash attacks aren't really useful, are they?

Is there anything that can make F-Throw > Jump > Hanmer Flip more persistent or no?

Is there also a list of strings/combos I can look into?

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
So then I'd have to switch the c-stick to attacks in order to make PP attacks easier to make? PP Smash attacks aren't really useful, are they?

Is there anything that can make F-Throw > Jump > Hanmer Flip more persistent or no?

Is there also a list of strings/combos I can look into?
Yeah you'd have to switch. In my experience that's the only way I've gotten pp utilt to work.
once you switch c stick to attack though it helps cut down on wildly throwing out smash attacks.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys, this week I decided to test the various copy abilities Kirby gets in this game, and I feel like sharing my favorites and least favorite abilities (in no order):
Favorite: :4megaman:, :4falcon: :4shulk:, :4pacman:, :4sheik:, :4yoshi:, :4ryu:
Least Favorite: :4bowser:, :4charizard:, :4gaw:, :4darkpit:, :4ness:, :4falco:, :4zelda:

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Been heavily exploring Kirby Air Ride's data heavily (yes, that game of our childhood).

If anybody has experience with AR Codes, let me know! I may uncover one of the largest unused feature of that game (a map larger than 98% of the game's files, only being beaten by the game's movies)
Cool, that's my third favorite Kirby game, keep us updated, please and thank you.
Kirby's Air Ride was/is a great game with offline friends, especially City Trial. I've played it for years now, definitely a go-to.
Not to mention how similar the interface is to Melee (for good reason).

I hope Sakurai knows/realizes Uthrow is a bit too weak now, considering other random throws that dont look like they should kill, kill like 30-40% earlier... like the one above.
Yes, this!! I can't say it enough, uthrow should kill at a decent higher percent! It's a little ridiculous as of now..

Also hi Kirby social, longtime Kirby main and big Kirby fan here.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Dair has combos at pretty much all percents but its stupid hard to hit with against good people.

down tilt has a 30% trip rate and combos into f smash. but if their too far away run at them and punish a back roll with up smash.

by the way everyone, over 100% if you can find away to make it hit without landing, dair to bair is a true combo.
example. if both you and your opponent are standing on a platform, full jump a dair, and manuver yourself so you dont land on the platform and they do. then while youre falling past them, you can land a bair.
this also works on the edge of stages.
alternatively you can do it with a double jump dair, and do it anywhere on stage, but that doesnt hit any standing opponents.

lastly, that f throw footstool grounding stone pushes the bowser and ddd matchups heavily in our favor. its really easy to do on them, and pretty much guarantees us a free 70% off of a low percent grab.

oh, and f throw to final cutter around 40-50 is really good against most people, it wont always hit, but if they jump away, they cant punish it. and gives you a chance to punish their landing further.
I actually started doing dair to bair just by jumping afterwards. Not a true combo, sure. But enough people jump out of dair to dsmash that it's valuable.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Gods, I hate the time limit restriction for Smash 4 Youtube videos. I had a super tight set with A2ZOMG's Mario tonight using Kirby and it ended up being almost 7 minutes. >.<

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Gods, I hate the time limit restriction for Smash 4 Youtube videos. I had a super tight set with A2ZOMG's Mario tonight using Kirby and it ended up being almost 7 minutes. >.<
I didn't think you could even save a 7 minute match as a replay, let alone send it to Youtube.

Alas, sounds like a good match we missed.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys. I'm going through the rest of the Kirby games I have not played yet, and I want suggestions as to which Kirby game I should play next. Just as a heads up, these are the Kirby games I've played:
Dream Land
Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland
Super Star/Ultra
Kirby 64
Squeak Squad
Triple Deluxe
I just got myself a $20 Nintendo eShop card, and I was wondering what game in the series I should play next. I'm debating whether to go to Return to Dreamland or Dream Land 2.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Return to Dreamland if you don't mind the slight similarities between this game and Triple Deluxe.

Otherwise, definitely Dreamland 2.
Dreamland 3 is available on the Wii U as well.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Return to Dreamland if you don't mind the slight similarities between this game and Triple Deluxe.

Otherwise, definitely Dreamland 2.
Dreamland 3 is available on the Wii U as well.
I've been wanting to play Return to Dreamland for so long, it's embarrassing that I never got to it. I've seen a lot of playthroughs of that game, and now I want to play it for myself. As for the similarities thing, since I'm such a big Mega Man guy, and with a series as formulaic as Mega Man is, slight similarities aren't going to stop me from playing Return to Dreamland.

As for Dreamland 2, I've tried playing the game several times before, but I always got bored and stopped playing around the half way point. The next time I play it, I'll have to push myself to actually finish it.

I have Dreamland 3 on the Wii section of my Wii U, so I should get to that at some point.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Hey guys, this week I decided to test the various copy abilities Kirby gets in this game, and I feel like sharing my favorites and least favorite abilities (in no order):
Favorite: :4megaman:, :4falcon: :4shulk:, :4pacman:, :4sheik:, :4yoshi:, :4ryu:
Least Favorite: :4bowser:, :4charizard:, :4gaw:, :4darkpit:, :4ness:, :4falco:, :4zelda:
This is like, the opposite for me

I like the abilities that are actual hats (ie: Pokemon Characters) and really hate the added hair/helmet/eyebrows/stuff that Kirby gets during them

monado Kirby is amazing because it's just the adorable monado on his back

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
This is like, the opposite for me

I like the abilities that are actual hats (ie: Pokemon Characters) and really hate the added hair/helmet/eyebrows/stuff that Kirby gets during them

monado Kirby is amazing because it's just the adorable monado on his back
I was testing how much I liked them for how useful they were and how much I like using them, not what they looked like. :p In hindsight, Falcon's isn't too useful seeing how Falcon is one of our worst match ups, but it's satisfying to get a Falcon Punch in. I find Ryu's to be incredibly useful too.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I was testing how much I liked them for how useful they were and how much I like using them, not what they looked like. :p In hindsight, Falcon's isn't too useful seeing how Falcon is one of our worst match ups, but it's satisfying to get a Falcon Punch in. I find Ryu's to be incredibly useful too.
Explain how falcon is one of our worst MUs?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Ever since the f-throw buff I jokingly wondered if Chu would pay Kirby more. Unfortunate, Kirby takes a bit of dedication and experience to really get the most out of him. :ohwell:
He'd be the god again if he put in that work and dedication to really learn all that he can do, considering he even did that well with like Day 1 Kirby strats.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Explain how falcon is one of our worst MUs?
Falcon's speed and his strength can stomp all over us. Granted, we do have the advantage of being light weight so we don't get comboed that badly, and Falcon is a heavyweight, so we can combo him for a good while.

Sorry if I'm a dumbass.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
He'd be the god again if he put in that work and dedication to really learn all that he can do, considering he even did that well with like Day 1 Kirby strats.
Agreed. I mean he did better game 1 with Kirby than he did with Sheik in game 2 despite the massive gap he has in experience with the two characters in this game. You could tell he hasn't had too much experience using Kirby in this game by how he was approaching the matchup. For instance, I feel he didn't crouch nearly as much as he should have. And at one point, he caught the guy in an Up-Tilt stream but didn't follow up properly. That could have been a great chance to take Sheik's needles.

Imagine if he labbed Kirby more and kept up with all the new tricks Kirby's been getting like better F-Throw combos and Up-Tilt into inhale? That set might have gone differently yesterday if you ask me. I really hope Chudat considers putting more work into Kirby. It could help him avoid nasty Sheik dittos like the one in Game 2, and since Sheik will likely continue to be nerfed in the foreseeable future while the opposite goes for Kirby, it could really pay off.

Last edited:

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
It would be great for Chu to return back to his kirby routes, but he still has a lot to learn to return to his former glory. You can clearly see the wide gap in character knowledge between that of Chu and that of MikeKirby who has been playing him since the beginning. I feel if Chudat starts figuring out all of the tools and fundamentals Kirby has, he would discover his true potential as a character. Sheik just doesn't seem like a character for him, especially with all of the other sheiks around who have more experience.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
It would be great for Chu to return back to his kirby routes, but he still has a lot to learn to return to his former glory. You can clearly see the wide gap in character knowledge between that of Chu and that of MikeKirby who has been playing him since the beginning. I feel if Chudat starts figuring out all of the tools and fundamentals Kirby has, he would discover his true potential as a character. Sheik just doesn't seem like a character for him, especially with all of the other sheiks around who have more experience.
I honestly think he should drop Sheik all-together. You can tell he doesn't enjoy the character by the amount of unsafe moves in neutral vs. Pink Fresh that he threw out in one recent Xanadu.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys, I got this replay that I want to show you:
I go for the U-Special too much, and I do get punished for it, so I get what I deserve.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I haven't heard much from t1mmy or Triple R lately :c
Hey, I'm still around even if I don't happen to post.
The tourney I went to last weekend had a stream, and I think I was on it at some point if anyone is interested in seeing it.
http://www.twitch.tv/churrobureau/v/14631879

Edit:
BTW, Squeak Squad was awesome. Just because it incorporates a lot of classic Kirby elements for an updated handheld extravaganza does not mean the game wasn't a work of art.

It's sad to say, but I didn't appreciate Squeak Squad after my first 100% run-through with it, but by the second play-through I realized the error of my ways. It may have been short, but the game was fun, had a hilarious story, and gave me everything I love about Kirby in one superbly-crafted adventure.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Good stuff @SapphSabre777! Thanks for the dittos the other day, which gave me a deeper insight on what Kirby has in his arsenal. I'm pretty awful, but I hope to improve from there!

Last edited:
Top Bottom