• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
On the subject of shirts, I got to ask my brother if I can borrow his Kirby shirt at some point. Even though I haven't played a lot of his games, Kirby's one of my favorite Nintendo characters, and the first Smash Bros character I got attached to, which is why, even if he's godawful in Melee, he's my series main. If I had more experience in competitive Melee, Peach would be my main since I love messing around with her, and Mega Man is my main for Smash 4.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Aside from damage is there any real viability to Kirby's footstool out of fthrow? The only thing i'm pretty sure you can follow up with is stone but I've only been able to get footstools between 50-70 percent

Edit: my bad I wasn't home when I posted this so this was speculation. I'll do a thorough check and report everything back to you guys asap

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Aside from damage is there any real viability to Kirby's footstool out of fthrow? The only thing i'm pretty sure you can follow up with is stone but I've only been able to get footstools between 50-70 percent
I never have done this but using Dtilt to jab lock your opponents work, are you generally fast enough to land and get it off?
After that charge and Fsmash or Usmash .

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I never have done this but using Dtilt to jab lock your opponents work, are you generally fast enough to land and get it off?
For followups after a jab lock, I would suggest going for an u-tilt, depending on the character. Fastfallers will get more dmg on them after an u-tilt.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Edit: Shulk has fthrow -> fair -> pp utilt -> utilt as a true combo when we're in speed form, same as Jr but without cart mishaps getting in the way. Should also mention these were all tested at 0%
After testing this out in an actual match and not training, I found out that this is only possible when Shulk is under 10% which is the amount of damage Inhale does. If you can keep his monado arts and get a ko then you can start the next stock with this and get a nice 20% and be in a nice position. It might be possible on first stock if for whatever foolish reason the Shulk starts up in Shield.

Oh and unrelated but I went back to Brawl, mostly for Wolf but used Kirby a bit too. Pre patch I would have praised his crazy early throws shenanigans but now that we have a beautiful fthrow, I just ended up missing our fast Inhale and useful dair we have in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Also should we be auto canceling moves instead of teching when we fall to the ground? Why should we give our opponents a chance to grab us when we can just hup cancel into a tilt or a jab?

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman

Typically I end up going pretty high. I'm sure I could get it with practice though but I don't think Kirby is heavy enough to land and jab lock in the 20 frame window.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
My Kirby's really been lacking lately. Would any of the higher ups here be willing to help me lab him so I can have him as a reliable secondary again?

Here's the caveat, though. One, I only have the 3DS version still--my Wii U exposure is limited to weekly Smashfests. Two...I've been busy lately, between doing Let's Plays and pitching in for a character campaign and looking fruitlessly for part time work. It'd need to be planned in advance.

If neither of those are deal breakers, I'm ready to learn.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
My Kirby's really been lacking lately. Would any of the higher ups here be willing to help me lab him so I can have him as a reliable secondary again?

Here's the caveat, though. One, I only have the 3DS version still--my Wii U exposure is limited to weekly Smashfests. Two...I've been busy lately, between doing Let's Plays and pitching in for a character campaign and looking fruitlessly for part time work. It'd need to be planned in advance.

If neither of those are deal breakers, I'm ready to learn.
I'd be more than happy to help but sadly I can't find my 3ds version :cry:
If you only have the 3DS version though that doesn't limit what you can learn. If you ever get the wii u version I recommend getting a pro controller just because the controls are similar to 3ds and you don't have to learn a new layout to play effectively. I recommend practicing with Smashladder as well. They aren't Kirby specific dittoos but those matches help you get better fast imho.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
If you only have the 3DS version though that doesn't limit what you can learn. If you ever get the wii u version I recommend getting a pro controller just because the controls are similar to 3ds and you don't have to learn a new layout to play effectively. I recommend practicing with Smashladder as well. They aren't Kirby specific dittoos but those matches help you get better fast imho.
I'm actually really comfortable with the Gamecube controller already. I was involved with Brawl for a few years, and I played Melee casually, so I'm familiar with it, and I still get to play the Wii U version once a week or so at a local Smashfest. It doesn't help my immediate situation, but it's something.

I've also been kind of dodging Smashladder for now because of how completely impractical it is with the 3DS version.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Dunno if such a group exists, but do you guys have a Kirby Skype group? If so, could I join it?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post the question.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
33rd at nebulous prime. Kirby really helped me get there, so I'm gonna have to step up and make him my primary again. I'm aiming for semifinals and beyond from now on.

Lost to rosalina in winners. Lost to villager in losers. If I could find any legit advice for these match-ups, let me know. It's no customs.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Not sure if it's appropriate to post this here, but StylesX2 did his most recent Disrespecting For Glory video on Kirby:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Alright, soooo... Haven't really played competitively in 4 years, decided to play some For Glory matches because wynaut, and after a few fights I'm hyped up and want to play a lot more. UGH why do smashfests and tourneys have to usually happen on weekends? Online just isn't as fun as playing with someone else and just joking around and laughing while getting better.

I'd like to be a ZSS + Kirby main again, but I dunno... Kirby always just clicks for me with little to no effort (especially since there's not too much change from Brawl), while ZSS just feels so different and slower-paced. We'll see how it goes.

Also, any Kirbies around SoCal, specifically around San Diego? I'd like to see what the Kirby competition's like.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Alright, soooo... Haven't really played competitively in 4 years, decided to play some For Glory matches because wynaut, and after a few fights I'm hyped up and want to play a lot more. UGH why do smashfests and tourneys have to usually happen on weekends? Online just isn't as fun as playing with someone else and just joking around and laughing while getting better.

I'd like to be a ZSS + Kirby main again, but I dunno... Kirby always just clicks for me with little to no effort (especially since there's not too much change from Brawl), while ZSS just feels so different and slower-paced. We'll see how it goes.

Also, any Kirbies around SoCal, specifically around San Diego? I'd like to see what the Kirby competition's like.

I'm in SoCal and I think reserved is too but speaking for myself I'm in LA not SD. The general consensus of the smash community is that Kirby is a pick up and play character. The skill curve to simply be able to do some basic stuff with Kirby isn't high in any way but I think becoming a great Kirby main has a high curve just because there are a lot of little things to be conscious of in terms of being careful and knowing when to go in and how you should go in.
From the sound of it though (correct me if i'm wrong ) you sound like you'd rather have a viable Kirby and a really dope ZSS. If that's the case fight lots of lvl 9 kirbys in 1v1s watch IZAW's art of Kirby video and play with Kirby often on for glory or anthers and you should be fine. If you want to be a great ZSS watch lots of tournament matches and basic guides. Nairo is a must watch imo and personally I really like watching Officer Jenny play.
For the most part though unless you have a local scene in your area I'm not sure how many Kirby dittoos you'll be able to find with people who main the little Dude

Last edited:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Eh, Lv9 kirbies are too easy, I don't think I'd go there. I've beaten classic mode on the highest difficulty with no continues as Kirby in the first few days I bought the game, if that's any indication of how Kirby clicks for me. I was in the top 5 spots of my country's power rankings when Brawl was big, by only using Kirby and ZSS (but Kirby mainly).

Also I tried For Glory with straight-up Kirby, won some and lost some (stopped after 11 matches at a 55% win rate). I don't really like the buffering in the moves, it's just as bad as Brawl IMO. The connectivity's way better though, that's for sure, but accidentally rolling into my opponent when I wanted to charge an fsmash, or reading an opponent rolling behind me and trying to punish but the delay makes it so that they shield my attack instead both kill me inside every time.

I'm thinking of trying to get used to the new ZSS, and if I don't like it, I'll keep her as my Brawl main and look for another fast-paced combo-oriented rushdown character to main that feels natural. I'm the type of player that really knows how to read opponents, and once I'm in, it's pretty hard to get me out. Gotta get in dat there head and psych you out by not letting you do anything successfully!

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Eh, Lv9 kirbies are too easy, I don't think I'd go there. I've beaten classic mode on the highest difficulty with no continues as Kirby in the first few days I bought the game, if that's any indication of how Kirby clicks for me. I was in the top 5 spots of my country's power rankings when Brawl was big, by only using Kirby and ZSS (but Kirby mainly).

Also I tried For Glory with straight-up Kirby, won some and lost some (stopped after 11 matches at a 55% win rate). I don't really like the buffering in the moves, it's just as bad as Brawl IMO. The connectivity's way better though, that's for sure, but accidentally rolling into my opponent when I wanted to charge an fsmash, or reading an opponent rolling behind me and trying to punish but the delay makes it so that they shield my attack instead both kill me inside every time

I'm thinking of trying to get used to the new ZSS, and if I don't like it, I'll keep her as my Brawl main and look for another fast-paced combo-oriented rushdown character to main that feels natural. I'm the type of player that really knows how to read opponents, and once I'm in, it's pretty hard to get me out. Gotta get in dat there head and psych you out by not letting you do anything successfully!
I feel like Mario is a pretty good secondary to Kirby if you want a combo-based rushdown character without messing up the playstyle of your Kirby by much.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
You say that, and I'm here thinking you're right. Then I remembered how that went, and look at me now. I became better at playing Dr. Mario than Mario.

Also kewkky, I'm hyped that you're getting back in the game, dude! As far as I know, there has been one kirby main that's been noticed in Oomba events. I forgot his tag, but he was up there.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
You say that, and I'm here thinking you're right. Then I remembered how that went, and look at me now. I became better at playing Dr. Mario than Mario.

Also kewkky, I'm hyped that you're getting back in the game, dude! As far as I know, there has been one kirby main that's been noticed in Oomba events. I forgot his tag, but he was up there.
I can see that, since Doc is slow (though slower) and focuses on pressuring openings like Kirby. I prefer Doc over Mario as a character simply because he's not as two dimensional as Mario, but I guess it varies for each player.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Honestly, I've been thinking of getting back to the scene for a long time, and have had Smash 4 in my library of games for a while, but i never had the energy to jump into a completely new scene with no one I knew. I just recently started doing some stuff to give me more energy to work out (I've been kinda lacking a lot of my usual energy lately, I blame not having any friends nearby), and it gave me enough motivation to try some For Glory matches for the first time. Got my initial rush from not wanting to let the opponents win and got hooked again. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be doing online again, it reminded me why I didn't like Brawl's online in the first place.

It'll take me a bit to get all the experience I need to be a threat in tourneys, but here's hoping for the best.

Regarding Mario, I played against one online and it didn't really seem like a character I would enjoy playing (I also ended up beating him). I'll figure it all out once I play people offline.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Yeah, I'm in LA. Kirby dittos are really boring, though, so I don't play them.

If you're getting back into the game, don't play For Glory. It's full of terrible players who almost always have bad connections. If you're sticking to online for right now, fight people who live close to you and have good connections so there's no input lag.

I found the 10 frame buffer to be incredibly tedious when I started playing Smash 4. Especially considering you can't buffer more than one action in this game, it makes things like OoS punishes unnecessarily annoying. There's still times where I'll mess up on something due to the buffer (ie: shield pushback on the ledge buffers N-Air, WHY) but you'll get used to it.

I'm on the same boat with you when it comes to Zero Suit. She was my secondary in Brawl, but I don't like her in this game, so now I use Marth and potentially Meta Knight as secondaries.

Good to have more Kirby mains~!

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Honestly, I've been thinking of getting back to the scene for a long time, and have had Smash 4 in my library of games for a while, but i never had the energy to jump into a completely new scene with no one I knew. I just recently started doing some stuff to give me more energy to work out (I've been kinda lacking a lot of my usual energy lately, I blame not having any friends nearby), and it gave me enough motivation to try some For Glory matches for the first time. Got my initial rush from not wanting to let the opponents win and got hooked again. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be doing online again, it reminded me why I didn't like Brawl's online in the first place.

It'll take me a bit to get all the experience I need to be a threat in tourneys, but here's hoping for the best!

Regarding Mario, I played against one online and it didn't really seem like a character I would enjoy playing (I also ended up beating him). I'll figure it all out once I play people offline.
I'm feeling the same way too with Smash 4, since most people in my region play Melee, and I rarely fight anyone on or above my level in 4 unless it's online, where delay screws with my reads and reaction time pretty badly. Guess I'll need to get off my butt and get people over to the college via our smash scene Facebook page for friendlies if I want to actually get good at this game. Haha

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
@ Kewkky Kewkky Good. For Glory is the worst. It's like eating sweets where it tastes good at first but then you stop eating as it starts to get bitter and leaves you wanting something else to take the taste out of your mouth. If you ever intend to practice online again, you have anther's ladder for that.

As for picking a secondary, mine took a while. I'm probably still choosing a secondary. I was going for ike first, and then I switched to mario, then D3, ZSS, until I stopped at Jigglypuff. I felt pretty good with her, but I've been starting to rust ever since I moved to NY. I'm probably in your same shoes, because I'm also meeting with people I've never met before. Hopefully, it'll get better for the both of us.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Also, sorry for the late introduction, but hope you guys don't mind my company. Kirby is a character that's interested me for awhile, primarily because I like his spacing tools, how his combos flow, his bait and punish tools, and the fact that he's super cute in general, given I do enjoy his games and his character as a whole. I'm just trying to find someone I can always fall back on like I did with Ganon in Melee so I'm not having to always switch between 3-4 other characters when facing different opponents. In other words, a character I can always feel comfortable with regardless of most situations. The other characters I play are Mario, Doc, Samus, Marcina and Zelda btw.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
As far as I know, there has been one kirby main that's been noticed in Oomba events. I forgot his tag, but he was up there.
Oh hey, I'm gonna start going to those. Maybe I'll serve as some nice competition.

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Until I see you kicking ass on stream, I'll be the judge on whether or not you're "nice competition."

Give it your all.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
It was the same animation he used when running up a hill in Kirby's Adventure so I prefer it to the current one.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Does anyone else really miss the way Kirby crawled onstage on brawl?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk2z0vPy3QY I'm not sure what you mean? I thought you meant "onstage" like, how your character appears during the countdown, but it's the same Warpstar animation it's always been...
Although watching this does make me miss Brawl Hammer :/ it was actually somewhat usable in the air...

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk2z0vPy3QY I'm not sure what you mean? I thought you meant "onstage" like, how your character appears during the countdown, but it's the same Warpstar animation it's always been...
Although watching this does make me miss Brawl Hammer :/ it was actually somewhat usable in the air...
Maybe he means the ledge getup?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Kirby used to hump the stage when he was over 100% and got up off the ledge. Not sure what he does now, probably just a flip.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Ahh, that one. I remember that from N64 best, because I always wondered why he would only do it sometimes... I didn't know about the 100% thing at the time. Yeah now it's the same no matter what % soooo yeah I miss it. I didn't think that's what you were talking about because I couldn't imagine him "running up a hill" like that heh

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
it was in Brawl and wasn't worth learning back then. I'm assuming not worth learning, since the slide depends on your walk speed and Kirby's not the fastest walker around. Still, it adds an option to your arsenal in the form of retreating tilts, specifically dtilts...

I see this being used maybe once every few sets. Your tilts don't exactly have the best range like Marth's do.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
You can already use safe retreating (and approaching) tilts using Perfect Pivot.

However, you're right on that being able to dance across the stage is amazing!

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone not entirely sure if I'll be on stream tonight but I'll be playing in the F&D tournament tonight. Hopefully I can do better than I have been doing but just a heads up to watch the stream. My name is gonna be CircusFeet.

Edit: LMAO apparently today was not the day XD worst placing I've ever done. Got knocked out after my second match xP better luck next time I guess! Time to hit the lab! !!

Last edited:

Kwyk

Kirby main since NES!
NNID
Kwyk-1987
3DS FC
4399-0116-0271
I have a buddy that likes to main Ganondorf, then C. Falcon. It's always a mind trick changing between Ganons slow power and C. Falcons speedy beatings...lots of dodging, dair to utilts, triple fairs, Final Cutter sweet spots on the recovery attempts (I like to call this the Guillotine). We play at least weekly and seem to be getting slowly better, It's nice to have an online option too from Melee. [Didn't really play Brawl]

~Just played for an hour over lunch, the matches were alright, I need to work on my fast falling and perfect my off stage aerial offenses.~

Last edited:
Top Bottom