• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Does anyone have a list of who Kirby can get a guaranteed ledge trump bair/uair on? Would be one of the more helpful things to know now that customs are going away. :(
Well... Basically everyone. :laugh:

Except, Fox/Falco, you have to u-air them. I think, if you do it frame perfect, you might be able to get a b-air, I THINK. You could also Upper Cutter but... Y'know.

Good stuff, Asdioh!
Post up links when they get uploaded!

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'm just bad then, I can't seem to do it before they have time to jump. :(
It just takea a little practice dude. No reason to be hard on yourself :seuss: just work on going to edge to bair as fast as you can in training and then when you play try to get used to doing it

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Well, it's not that. It's the fact that they all don't pop off at the same height and that I can't tell if they buffered something on the ledge.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's not that. It's the fact that they all don't pop off at the same height and that I can't tell if they buffered something on the ledge.
Aren't trumps pretty immediate though? I feel like you should have enough time to see whether or not you got the trump and punish accordingly

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
They're immediate if they haven't buffered a ledge option, but like I said sometimes they've buffered an option and I have to react to it and that really slows me down.

edit: i mean i have to see if there IS one cause if you jump off an do a bair and they didn't get trumped I'm gonna get smashed in the face on a ledge re-grab.

:gova:

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well... Basically everyone. :laugh:

Except, Fox/Falco, you have to u-air them. I think, if you do it frame perfect, you might be able to get a b-air, I THINK. You could also Upper Cutter but... Y'know.

Good stuff, Asdioh!
Post up links when they get uploaded!
http://smashboards.com/threads/kirb...rby-video-thread.369253/page-10#post-19713541 !

I don't know how guaranteed ledge trump Bairs are, I practically never get them, so I rarely try. I did manage to get a KO that way against Ness in this tournament.
I think Kirby's pretty high tier at forcing trumps. Nair is amazing at covering ledge options, so if you keep Nairing your opponents for buffering a roll/standup/jump, they'll start waiting while hanging on the ledge. Now you've conditioned them, and you will be able to surprise them with a trump :bee:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
If you go for a trump, you have to commit to the b-air to nail the punish. You can't react to a ledge trump for a punish. I think it's humanely impossible. People have learned not to stay on the ledge so most people don't get trumped a lot nowadays and will buffer an option immediately. You need conditioning and awareness to pull it off, now. Try to be consistent in punishing neutral get up, rolls and such. Then, will you make them hesitate on immediately buffering an option. However, ledge trumping does beat out ledge dropped options since that can't be buffered. I still trump to keep my opponent on his toes and to show him that I CAN and WILL do it. Happy reading!

Wow, @ Asdioh Asdioh beat me at the reply! :laugh:

Last edited:

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Hello my friends.
I like to lurk on Smashboards, so I haven't really posted a whole lot.
I'm trying to do my part and discover things in the game and share the info I gather, but I am not the best at it!
Anyway, how about dem sick Kirby soundtracks? I will never not be salty about them removing the Fountain of Dreams song from the game...
DAMN YOU SAKURAI!:mad::mad::mad:

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
But The Fountain of Dreams was added back into the game! Along with that neat Ice Cream Island remix!

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
For anyone interested in perfecting their perfect pivot skills I highly suggest big Battlefield with shulk as your opponent. It's easy to mess up but having monado Kirby helps calm the storm :pimp:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Dreamland brethren:

I would like to speak a proven, competitive, competent :4kirby: main about some questions I have (it's not the MK vs Kirby MU). Who fits that category here?

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's the Pit matchup, isn't it? What do you need?
My notable achievements include not getting 2 stocked by high level players on a consistent basis!

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
If it's about pit I might be able to offer advice he's my secondary and has helped me out a couple of times at Fire&Dice weeklies

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
It's the :4kirby: vs :4zss: MU. I see so many wildly varying opinions on this MU. I don't play ZSS. I have a Kirby. And ZSS ruins my life as MK. So I'm looking into alternative options for the MU. Trying to find out the truth here and seeing if its worth trying. She is literally the only character that I legit fear right now -_-

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If you have good reactions, and are willing to play "lame" and abuse crouch, then it's an OK matchup. She still has top tier tools though, so when you're trying to get a KO you'll struggle. Kirby ducks under her key moves though, including grab, dash attack, paralyzer, fsmash, ftilt. Gotta watch out for Dsmash, dtilt, and boost kick. If you have a good Kirby, it's worth trying, but I wouldn't specifically pick up Kirby to beat ZSS. You're better off with, of course, Sheik or something.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Kirby is my counter to ZSS on FG although most of them are bread and butter idiots who spam up b and neutral b. For what it's worth, ducking is a glorious option, avoids jab, fsmash, paralyzer, up b I think, dask attack, grab if I'm not mistaken, utilt and ftilt unless angled downward. Best options I think she has to answer crouch are down b, side b at the tip and down smash, all of which are painfully obvious to see coming.

That being said, you wanted a Kirby expert and that I am not so :shaker: pouring grains of salt onto this.

:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I once simply ducked in place while fighting a for glory ZSS, and it took her a minute to attack me.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Fg zamus isn't really credible though... I mean there aren't really any fg matchups that you can rely on for credible info. In a lot of ways you're better off fighting a lvl 9 cpu, especially since the AI seems smarter.

But yeah crouching is your best bet but I'm pretty sure MK does well against zamus

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
I've been watching a few tournament matches of Kirby players, and something I feel like not enough Kirby's are using is the D-tilt. There's a good amount of range that this move has, and it comes out very quick. It has a certain chance of tripping the opponent, which can lead into some nice percentage combos such as;
  • Running in and grabbing them quickly before they roll away/normal getup, then going for a down throw
  • If they roll away or in toward you, go up and jab twice then go for another D-tilt or a grab.
  • If they get up attack, wait for it to be thrown out, then go for a D-air combo
  • Throwing them offstage and gimping them if they roll away
I feel like I tend to abuse this move, which is a bad habit and I'm currently working on implementing more things with my Kirby (Such as more pivot F-tilts,) but I feel like not enough Kirby's are using his D-tilt to their advantage. In my opinion, it is as good as Marth's D-tilt in Melee, and leads to a lot of followup options. Can't tell you how many times I've tripped an opponent and ended the match with a raw smash attack.
I bet more people know about this than I think, but really really REALLY don't use it very much.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I've been watching a few tournament matches of Kirby players, and something I feel like not enough Kirby's are using is the D-tilt. There's a good amount of range that this move has, and it comes out very quick. It has a certain chance of tripping the opponent, which can lead into some nice percentage combos such as;
  • Running in and grabbing them quickly before they roll away/normal getup, then going for a down throw
  • If they roll away or in toward you, go up and jab twice then go for another D-tilt or a grab.
  • If they get up attack, wait for it to be thrown out, then go for a D-air combo
  • Throwing them offstage and gimping them if they roll away
I feel like I tend to abuse this move, which is a bad habit and I'm currently working on implementing more things with my Kirby (Such as more pivot F-tilts,) but I feel like not enough Kirby's are using his D-tilt to their advantage. In my opinion, it is as good as Marth's D-tilt in Melee, and leads to a lot of followup options. Can't tell you how many times I've tripped an opponent and ended the match with a raw smash attack.
I bet more people know about this than I think, but really really REALLY don't use it very much.
Not to sound rude but I have no clue what youre talking about dude... a lot of people in my experince use kirby's dtilt. I'm pretty sure even salty fg players who play Kirby out of spite when they lose use his dtilt or first hit of fair into dtilt into jab/grab/ or a smash attack. Just because a move is used selectively rather than sporadically doesn't mean that it's applications or uses aren't known.

I don't mean to halt your momentum though if you have a good idea run with it but I disagree

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Not to sound rude but I have no clue what youre talking about dude... a lot of people in my experince use kirby's dtilt. I'm pretty sure even salty fg players who play Kirby out of spite when they lose use his dtilt or first hit of fair into dtilt into jab/grab/ or a smash attack. Just because a move is used selectively rather than sporadically doesn't mean that it's applications or uses aren't known.

I don't mean to halt your momentum though if you have a good idea run with it but I disagree
Hey, you aren't being rude at all dude. I appreciate the insight, but I really think not enough people are D-tilt to their advantage. I have watched entire sets with very little usage of the D-tilt, and maybe it's the matchup or just their playstyle, and if you only go for N-air/D-air into a combo your opponent may catch on to that and adapt to what you're doing. Then it would be a good time to start to throw in D-tilts.

I DO see how FG players that use Kirby like to use it, but really FG is absolute trash and most kids on there have no idea what they're doing, or find something and abuse the hell out of it.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
YAAAAAAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIRBY
You'll always be my favorite! :kirby:

Guys don't forget that 3 Kirby games have been released on the eshop today! I believe they were Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Kirby Squeak Squad, and Kirby 64! Too bad I already have all three :v

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Shout outs to Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, played that game to DEATH and only ever managed to beat it once.
Squeak Squad I did beat 100% though !:kirby::kirby:
Long live the Pink Puff! :kirby64::kirbymelee::kirby2::4kirby:

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Technically it's just his birthday in the US, and even then, Kirby's Dream Land was released on August 1, not July 30. His actual birthday is April 27.

Still going to wish Kirby a happy early birthday since I will probably not be on here on his actual birthday.

Oh, and one quick thing on ledge trumps: The shorter amount of time between you grabbing the ledge and your opponent grabbing the ledge, the quicker you can act out of it. So if your opponent grabs the ledge, time passes, and then you do, it's really hard to get the follow up. But if you grab it at nearly the same time, but you actually grabbed it first, it's a super easy punish. So if a lot of time passes between your opponent grabbing the ledge and you, Back Air might not be the best option. Maybe try to hit them on their way back? Or just go for the Back Air, that move is super good.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Our new fthrow is beautiful <3 I've been testing out a few things in training: fthrow to double jump fully charged Charge Shot registers as a combo in training at higher percents on Samus and kills at a very small range of high percents. That being said, someone could di the fthrow upwards to avoid it.

Fthrow to fully charged Aura Sphere also combos at high percents but won't kill.

Fthrow to Mach Tornado seems to work at lowish percents (not too low since MK gets to the ground pretty quick) and fthrow to double jump MT seems to work at mid/high percents, gets close to killing so on a platform (my testings were on Omega stages) it could be a kill combo. I'm not 100% sure if fthrow to nado is a combo though since training registers nado itself as a combo and I've been too lazy and eager to move on to a certain someone to see how many hits just nado is.

Fthrow to Arcthunder to uair seems to be a combo at certain percents. Was a pain to pull off though so I didn't observe what percent I got it at and again, eager to move on to someone else.

Fthrow to double jump Shield Breaker (only tested with Marth so far) is a combo at mid percents randomly.

Not a combo and probably not even patch related but testing this out made me learn that Water Shuriken can aid recovery which is weird but cool.

Now for the main attraction. Gah damn Shulk. Speed Kirbys fthrow to fair to running grab fthrow probably isn't a combo since odds are Shulk can act after the fair before we can get him but I got that on the ai in Training.

Buster Kirby ironically has a harder time comboing with fthrow at low percents since it sends Shulk basically nowhere but it allows us to extend our fthrow combos at higher percents.

Jump Kirby...my god...fthrow to double jump uair is a combo and can kill at high percents and I even got fthrow to double jump uair to double jump uair at a rather specific percent (a little over or under %100 I think, was too hyped to pay attention) and it registered as a true 3 hit combo.

I've yet to test anyone else on the bottom of the character select screen and I'm not sure who all I'll test but I had to post as soon as I found that beautiful Shulk stuff <3

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I recommend using your foot to DI away in order to see which combos are inescapable.

Top Bottom