• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Lol two people just replied the same thing. But.............. Yeah............. don't get grabbed............

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Okay, that much was already clear lol. That is quite the uphill battle.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Hold A to jab if you think he's gonna try to run in and grab you. Jab will beat or trade with his grab. Don't shield too much, it doesn't help in this matchup unless he's landing above you.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Oh I know!
Pick someone else. :drflip:
And don't get grabbed!

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Actually, you can sort of camp him out by crouching his fireballs and if you're about to go into that animation where you get a bit taller just dtilt. If he runs at you while you're crouching just do a dtilt. It's really lame, but lets be honest dthrow -> luigi cyclone killing at 90% guaranteed is just BS.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Okay, that much was already clear lol. That is quite the uphill battle.
I don't know how reliable baiting grabs are; I never really tried it because that losing that gamble isn't appealing. Instead I use Kirby's jumps to try and bait aerials/shield for a dash grab, u-tilt setup or Inhale. It really doesn't help that every attack we use sends him sliding halfway across the stage and that he has practically lagless smashes.

Hold A to jab if you think he's gonna try to run in and grab you. Jab will beat or trade with his grab. Don't shield too much, it doesn't help in this matchup unless he's landing above you.
If you're at the distance where he might grab, is holding out a jab risky? I think that he could fireball your jab and put you in that "attack collision" animation, then go for a grab from there... I think.

Imber

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been brought up before but I really think this board needs a "Tips and Techniques" sticky or something to compile all of the little things we've found in one big, convenient post, similar to many of the other character boards. It doesn't really need the huge list of complicated character specific combos, just the simple stuff so people can get an idea of what Kirby can do. This board is littered with these little tips but scouring through hundreds of posts to find them is really impractical. t!mmy's guide is pretty good, but no offense, anybody can jump into training mode and see what Kirby's moves do, and you will need to know a lot more than Bthrow->Bair to compete anywhere above a for glory level. Ideally the guide would be updated to include more techniques but it's easier said than done so for now I would propose it be made its own thread. Even just an update to the existing directory with links to useful posts and videos would work as long as it's clean and well organized. The way I see it, the easier this information is to find, the quicker Kirby players can improve and the better Kirby becomes as more of his potential is unlocked.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Nair is good against fireballs against mario and luigi. I think im really close to breaking open those two matchups. Ill keep you guys posted

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Plz help. What can I do against Luigi?
If you manage to catch Luigi off-guard, D-Air will be your best friend. I personally like to either jab or D-Smash after landing that attack. Since Luigi's fireballs hover, duck under them, since Kirby's crouch is low enough to do that.
Also, don't get grabbed. That's pretty important. :p

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Has R.O.B already been discussed in here? If not, for people who have had a chance to fight against one, how is it? :p
http://smashboards.com/threads/r-o-b-matchup-analysis-30-kirby.409296/
This already exists, but it doesn't have any replies yet. If I could play against someone on the 3DS (and potentially get destroyed) to be able to give an opinion, I would be thankful.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Has R.O.B already been discussed in here? If not, for people who have had a chance to fight against one, how is it? :p
This already exists, but it doesn't have any replies yet. If I could play against someone on the 3DS (and potentially get destroyed) to be able to give an opinion, I would be thankful.
No, I don't think so. Not on the matchup thread at least. I'll go online right now and try to find a Rob, and if I don't, I'll try to find a video of it, and see what the matchup looks like it could be. But I don't think I'll be good at it :p I suck at explaining matchups, only the numbers

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
R.O.B. is one of my better characters so that might help although I'm no pro or anything, I could possibly give an idea for the mu by facing someone although it'll have to be on the Wii U version since I gave my copy of Smash 3DS to my sister. I could even record the matches with my capture card so others could see and give their opinions on it.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Can't play on the 3DS, but I play ROB as my secondary. I posted some comments if that helps!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Ideally [Kirby's Epic Guide] would be updated to include more techniques but it's easier said than done so for now I would propose it be made its own thread.
There are multiple threads that deal with what you are talking about:

Kirby's Toy Box <--- Discussions & Listings of all Moves, A.T.s, etc
Kirby's Pondering Curse <--- Q&A and FAQ for all things Kirby
The True Arena <--- match-up specific tips & tricks discussion

If these threads are not meeting your standards, you could always contribute a thread of your own with what you feel is missing. All good threads start this way.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I hate how I find stuff but never post it because I'm so lazyyyy

I need to working on Kirby stuff

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
"Hey guys, I think Grounding Stone is definitely our best move. I'll tell you why later."

- Reserved every couple weeks

:4kirby:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Its a great mixup because it's so bad they don't prepare for it /s
That wasn't the question.
What does Stone even do on the ground, anyways?
It has a quake hitbox that pushes you back if your close enough but it doesn't do any knockback. It's mainly used so that you can transform out of stone safely if you hit the ground right next to someone.

Edit: If you use it on the ground you transform into it faster, but you only ever get the quake hitbox.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
No
That wasn't the question.

It has a quake hitbox that pushes you back if your close enough but it doesn't do any knockback. It's mainly used so that you can transform out of stone safely if you hit the ground right next to someone.

Edit: If you use it on the ground you transform into it faster, but you only ever get the quake hitbox.
It does 14% (landing with stone in the air does 18%) and the knockback increases depending on percent. Set a CPU to 999% in training mode on a really long stage like bridge of eldin and watch them slide. I don't know what frame grounded stone comes out on, but it's pretty fast. It's viable to use on someone if you have a read on them and know they won't be shielding, but really it's just kind of a troll move, its risk/reward ratio is poor.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Took me a while to complete Kirby Rainbow Curse. I wanted this game to be in the list of my all time Kirby game, but I'll say my score is around an 8/10. Well, at least Kirby Triple Deluxe is the new face in my list along with Kirby Adventure and Kirby Super Star.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Kirby players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Kirby and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Got 3rd at a pretty large local with Kirby. :gova:

http://austinsmash4.challonge.com/atxfiles9

And i won a charity tourney today with most of are regulars that place in top 8, except our two best players were playing bad characters since the charity was technically for them. unfortunately there aren't any vids from this tourney

outside of that, can't seem to break into first or second, if I run into certain characters that can just outcamp kirby it ruins my bracket run, there's too many robs in austin :(

anyways, i posted the videos i had on stream from the large local in the video thread, feel free to check them out.

:gova:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
ROBs? I haven't played too many good ones, but I feel like it could be kinda fun. Much better than losing every week to ****ING SONIC :mad:
Can you name the characters in the top 8/characters you played in bracket? Good jaaab clapclapclap~!

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
ness, zss, fox, rob

We did pools before going to bracket but those were all the characters I played against.

The rob matchup is not fun btw :(

edit: thought you meant for the charity tourney

Last edited:
Top Bottom