• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I still think games need to be hard to be good... :(

Pixel-perfect precision! Split-second decisions! Fast-paced action! I need all of these in my perfect game!

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Does anyone know the specific percents MKs U-Air combos work on Kirby, or are we just ****ed from 15% and up?

Parisienne

Umbran Witch
I agree, it's a little sad that Kirby games are traditionally very easy. Good to lay back with though.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I agree, it's a little sad that Kirby games are traditionally very easy. Good to lay back with though.
I don't think it's sad. I think the point is that it's meant to be easy for newcomers to platformers. I personally don't mind it as I've gotten traditionally worse with platformers and prefer to lay back. lol

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't think it's sad at all. Mr. Iwata had the acuity to see that making games that non-gamers could enjoy would open up gaming to a large number of people. Better yet, he got some very talented people together to work on the Kirby games (Sakurai & Miyamoto) which resulted in an awesome and iconic game series.

I've always enjoyed challenging games, but Kirby is something everyone can enjoy. Simplicity and charm is something unique in games.

Does anyone know the specific percents MKs U-Air combos work on Kirby, or are we just ****ed from 15% and up?
I suppose knowing the exact percents would be helpful, but I think it's just as you say. In general, when I play against a MK, I just look for possible leads or traps into the Shuttle Loop (generally Dash Attack and Grab upward of 20%+) and try to work around them.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
As someone who values Kirby as his favorite franchise, I personally never saw a problem with Kirby games being easy. Easy to beat that is. The Kirby series is designed so that anyone can clear the game but only hardcore players will actually get everything out of it. A great example is Kirby's Epic Yarn. You can't even lose lives in that game. But clearing a level with enough beads to get the top rank can be grueling. And as Mega Spider said, a game being easy doesn't necessarily take from the experience. I normally have to much fun slaughtering everything in my path to be bothered by difficulty.

My one main gripe with the series is the cast. While I like that they don't flood us with tons of needless characters, I feel at times it suffers the opposite issue in that there aren't enough. As a little kid I got into the series with Nightmare in Dreamland and Kirby Air Ride and from there on had always been bothered by the lack of friends Kirby had compared to other Nintendo characters like Mario and Donkey Kong. When I got older and was able to look back at past Kirby games, I grew to value Kirby Dreamland 2, Kirby Dreamland 3, and Kirby 64 for giving Kirby new friends like Adeliene and Animal Friends. This is also a big reason why Kirby Returns to Dreamland has been one my favorite games in recent times for making a recurring friend out of Bandana Waddle Dee. I can understand from a gameplay standpoint why they haven't brought them back given that most main games have taken after Kirby Super Star's setup for abilities, but there's still potential in spin-offs and co-op. I have enjoyed almost every direction HAL has taken the series but would love to see them bring back some of Kirby's classic buddies rather than keep introducing one-off characters. This is just how I feel though.

PS: Since we're in a new year, how about a zany trip down memory lane!

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
As someone who values Kirby as his favorite franchise, I personally never saw a problem with Kirby games being easy. Easy to beat that is. The Kirby series is designed so that anyone can clear the game but only hardcore players will actually get everything out of it. A great example is Kirby's Epic Yarn. You can't even lose lives in that game. But clearing a level with enough beads to get the top rank can be grueling. And as Mega Spider said, a game being easy doesn't necessarily take from the experience. I normally have to much fun slaughtering everything in my path to be bothered by difficulty.

My one main gripe with the series is the cast. While I like that they don't flood us with tons of needless characters, I feel at times it suffers the opposite issue in that there aren't enough. As a little kid I got into the series with Nightmare in Dreamland and Kirby Air Ride and from there on had always been bothered by the lack of friends Kirby had compared to other Nintendo characters like Mario and Donkey Kong. When I got older and was able to look back at past Kirby games, I grew to value Kirby Dreamland 2, Kirby Dreamland 3, and Kirby 64 for giving Kirby new friends like Adeliene and Animal Friends. This is also a big reason why Kirby Returns to Dreamland has been one my favorite games in recent times for making a recurring friend out of Bandana Waddle Dee. I can understand from a gameplay standpoint why they haven't brought them back given that most main games have taken after Kirby Super Star's setup for abilities, but there's still potential in spin-offs and co-op. I have enjoyed almost every direction HAL has taken the series but would love to see them bring back some of Kirby's classic buddies rather than keep introducing one-off characters. This is just how I feel though.

PS: Since we're in a new year, how about a zany trip down memory lane!

I do miss the Animal Buddies. I would love to see them in a new Kirby game. My only issue with them is that they limit the Copy Ability selection. Dream Lands 2 and 3 had a very small set of Copy Abilities, and I wish the current selection can be applied to the Animal Buddies now.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Is it totally impossible for Kirby to get any followups after an opponent mashes out of his inhale?

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
Hello fellow star warriors! As of late, pro smasher "Smash G0D" has recently picked up the supper tough pink puff! it's great that kirby is starting to get more notoriety but one isn't enough. so are any of you guys planning to enter any big tourneys soon?

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow star warriors! As of late, pro smasher "Smash G0D" has recently picked up the supper tough pink puff! it's great that kirby is starting to get more notoriety but one isn't enough. so are any of you guys planning to enter any big tourneys soon?
Thankfully what I've seen from smash god doesn't make me cringe as a Kirby players, sorry if that sounds arrogant but a lot of Kirby players I'll see at the locals I've been to make poor choices and over use moves like Dair, stone and throw out way too many smash attacks. From what i've seen on the board's video thread there are quite a few Kirby players who place well in their respective region but the channels that host their tournaments aren't very well known.

I'm pretty sure players like Smash G0D and MikeKirby are well known not just because they put in a lot of hard work to make the character shine but also because their regions and respective hosts are some of the better known throughout the smash community.

But to answer your question I'm planning on going to the Fire&Dice locals again soon but as of rn nothing too big aside from that.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Actually SmashGOD has been a Kirby player for quite a while. He actually used him Super Smash Con, taking out VaBengal and False with him in Top 32 and used in a couple Xanadus prior and also does well with on Anthers Ladder. That's said it's great to see him putting in work with the little guy now that he has a break from school. As for me, I am #2 on my college's Smash PR and I might be going to this local coming up this Saturday. I've improved quite a bit over so perhaps I won't get blown back!

Thankfully what I've seen from smash god doesn't make me cringe as a Kirby players, sorry if that sounds arrogant but a lot of Kirby players I'll see at the locals I've been to make poor choices and over use moves like Dair, stone and throw out way too many smash attacks. From what i've seen on the board's video thread there are quite a few Kirby players who place well in their respective region but the channels that host their tournaments aren't very well known.

I'm pretty sure players like Smash G0D and MikeKirby are well known not just because they put in a lot of hard work to make the character shine but also because their regions and respective hosts are some of the better known throughout the smash community.

But to answer your question I'm planning on going to the Fire&Dice locals again soon but as of rn nothing too big aside from that.
The thing that personally frustrates me about a lot of Kirby's is that they never use Inhale. Unlike most of Kirby's moves, that move actually has insane reward when you land it. Foes like :4cloud::4robinm::4sheik::4samus::4mario::4pikachu::4greninja::4olimar: and :4pacman: become WAY easier to beat when you have their power yet many Kirby's never seem to go for it. For example, Poyo actually came really close to winnning a Xanandu about a month ago. He beat a Pac-Man named Zage in Winners but lost to him Losers and strangely he never tried copying him. Even when he Inhaled him one time he spat him out! Considering how he used Zage's fruit against him, if he had copied him, he could have given Zage hell.

I on the other never forget Inhale and I am able to really throw opponents in for a whirl. I personally haven't gotten down the proper setups into it yet, but what I do instead is throw out raw when they least expect it. It's an option I keep in the back of head, but still keep in mind. I feel like too many Kirby's just discard the option completely. I get that it can be punished (not as hard though as it's been buffed) but the reward for landing it on certain characters makes the risk worth in my opinion.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
The thing that personally frustrates me about a lot of Kirby's is that they never use Inhale. Unlike most of Kirby's moves, that move actually has insane reward when you land it.
Something I've noticed is that I really need to start doing this again outside of kirbicides. I used to try it all the time back in the 3ds days when inhale was bad, and now I've slowly started to stop doing it when it's been better than it ever was. I find it really hard to land in the :4cloud:matchup. IMO that matchup is terrible for Kirby.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Something I've noticed is that I really need to start doing this again outside of kirbicides. I used to try it all the time back in the 3ds days when inhale was bad, and now I've slowly started to stop doing it when it's been better than it ever was. I find it really hard to land in the :4cloud:matchup. IMO that matchup is terrible for Kirby.
Yeah. I think Kirby players are too used to it being bad that they never consider even now when it's viable. Hopefully that changes with time.

As for Cloud, eh. I personally find don't find the matchup that awful. It's hard but Kirby can handle him, going from my experience. When going for Inhale, I do it at the most random times and often at the start of the match. When playing against Cloud, I always take his projectile, shield his moves, and use N-Air as a long lasting hitbox to cover his actions after attacks. One of the first things I noticed about him was little lag he had. When fighting him, don't think about punishing his move, but the one he'll do AFTER it. Especially if hits your shield. For instance, if Cloud F-Smash's your shield, don't run in to grab him. Instead, back off and fall on him with a N-Air. I've been finding a lot of success with that.

I think soon I'll upload some games I had with a Cloud when I got back from college and just to see if the matchup is being played optimally.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Fsmash is one of Cloud's most punishable moves. You should be able to consistently grab him after he hits your shield.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Fsmash is one of Cloud's most punishable moves. You should be able to consistently grab him after he hits your shield.
Really? Guess it's either lag or me just not dropping shield fast enough. Come to think of it I have punished it directly before but I thought I just got lucky.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Actually SmashGOD has been a Kirby player for quite a while. He actually used him Super Smash Con, taking out VaBengal and False with him in Top 32 and used in a couple Xanadus prior and also does well with on Anthers Ladder. That's said it's great to see him putting in work with the little guy now that he has a break from school. As for me, I am #2 on my college's Smash PR and I might be going to this local coming up this Saturday. I've improved quite a bit over so perhaps I won't get blown back!

The thing that personally frustrates me about a lot of Kirby's is that they never use Inhale. Unlike most of Kirby's moves, that move actually has insane reward when you land it. Foes like :4cloud::4robinm::4sheik::4samus::4mario::4pikachu::4greninja::4olimar: and :4pacman: become WAY easier to beat when you have their power yet many Kirby's never seem to go for it. For example, Poyo actually came really close to winnning a Xanandu about a month ago. He beat a Pac-Man named Zage in Winners but lost to him Losers and strangely he never tried copying him. Even when he Inhaled him one time he spat him out! Considering how he used Zage's fruit against him, if he had copied him, he could have given Zage hell.

I on the other never forget Inhale and I am able to really throw opponents in for a whirl. I personally haven't gotten down the proper setups into it yet, but what I do instead is throw out raw when they least expect it. It's an option I keep in the back of head, but still keep in mind. I feel like too many Kirby's just discard the option completely. I get that it can be punished (not as hard though as it's been buffed) but the reward for landing it on certain characters makes the risk worth in my opinion.
Inhale is crazy rewarding when landed. The best way to use it in my experience is either for reads or after utilts. Raw inhale is never a good idea but since it's not as fast as say Wario's neutral B I think less Kirby players try using it since better players can really punish them hard for throwing it out. But then again poor Kirby players also throw out stone a lot which is just as bad as throwing out inhale randomly. .

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Inhale is crazy rewarding when landed. The best way to use it in my experience is either for reads or after utilts. Raw inhale is never a good idea but since it's not as fast as say Wario's neutral B I think less Kirby players try using it since better players can really punish them hard for throwing it out. But then again poor Kirby players also throw out stone a lot which is just as bad as throwing out inhale randomly. .
Is it possible to do some U-tilts into a reversed Inhale? It seems like that would be a very useful tool if possible.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
When I say raw, I kind of mean as a read. lol I don't just spam it senselessly. I always look for that one moment where I know my opponent won't be expecting it and tend to be successful. That said, I really need to learn how to fast-fall Up Air out of F-Throw as it's simply more reliable.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
It's a true combo. It's % dependant and character dependant, usually you'll want to do it around 15~25% on most fighters, although it can extend way past that against fast fallers like Sheik.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Does Kirby's 74% utilt string still work on Fox? I haven't been able to get it consistently the way I used to.
I might be doing the wrong inputs though, I've been doing
4x strong utilt
4x back and forth utilts between weak and strong
1x uair
1x utilt
1x dair
grab
Could anyone please let me know if i'm messing the combo up at some point? I tried replicating what MikeKirby did
against LarryLurr and G5 Dugan but it isn't working the way it used to.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Does Kirby's 74% utilt string still work on Fox?
It should, since none of the moves involved have had any knockback tweaks since. I think confirming gets a bit funky with dair, but tbh I have little clue if dair can be combo'd into like that outside of specific percents. Maybe I'm not being DAIRing enough.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Are those the correct inputs though?

Side note I just entered a tournament and did better than I thought I would XD

Last edited:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the number one use for inhale imo is when sharking people.

if you catch them on a platform above you and you know they are going to shield. you can space the inhale so that it goes far enough above the platform to suck them up, but not high enough that you land on the platform itself. that way if you miss for whatever reason, you can just fall back down below them and it makes it really hard to punish.

that said, i think the cloud matchup is in our favor, but i dont think that blade beam gives us anything in that matchup. most times projectiles like that force the other person to approach, but charging limit forces every character in the game to approach cloud no matter what. and with that said, the projectile itself kinda sucks. so it doesnt really give us more utility in that matchup than inhale.
same goes for pikachu. t jolt is super laggy and pikachu can punish us for doing it very easily so its not worth having over inhale.

ryu is a matchup that copying is incredibly good in, because we get all 4 versions of the fireball (fast and slow hadouken, fast and slow shakunetsu) and ryu doesnt have the speed or the moves to really cut through it and hit us at the same time, the way cloud and pika do.

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
SmashG0D is actually pretty good with Kirby. Probably top 5 from what I've seen. He recently won a tourney using almost all Kirby. In particular, I'm recalling a moment from his fight with a Zero Suit in grand finals after ZSS had adapted to his crouch where SmashG0D actually made great use of crouch walking to control ZSS' aerial spacing. I haven't seen anybody use crouch walk like that but it seems like it'd be a good skill to learn against those who have to rely on aerials to get next to Kirby.

At 14:33 in this video:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
the number one use for inhale imo is when sharking people.

if you catch them on a platform above you and you know they are going to shield. you can space the inhale so that it goes far enough above the platform to suck them up, but not high enough that you land on the platform itself. that way if you miss for whatever reason, you can just fall back down below them and it makes it really hard to punish.

that said, i think the cloud matchup is in our favor, but i dont think that blade beam gives us anything in that matchup. most times projectiles like that force the other person to approach, but charging limit forces every character in the game to approach cloud no matter what. and with that said, the projectile itself kinda sucks. so it doesnt really give us more utility in that matchup than inhale.
same goes for pikachu. t jolt is super laggy and pikachu can punish us for doing it very easily so its not worth having over inhale.

ryu is a matchup that copying is incredibly good in, because we get all 4 versions of the fireball (fast and slow hadouken, fast and slow shakunetsu) and ryu doesnt have the speed or the moves to really cut through it and hit us at the same time, the way cloud and pika do.
Yeah....I probably shouldn't have included Cloud in there. It's certainly not a game changer given his speed and ability to charge limit. It's just that I personally find that it makes getting in a safer. This is of course when you're using it on the ground. In the air it's the pathetic. And with Inhale you could potentially spit him offstage into an edgeguard situation.

However, I think Pikachu's ability has utility. The T-Jolts on such a nimble character can be rather bothersome so taking them can let you cancel them out and since we have multiple jumps, we can send more to the ground to protect our landing than Pikachu can and force him to approach. I personally like to use it to help me recover high against Pikachu and use it air while following up with a falling N-Air or some other aerial. Using it carelessly will get you punished but it can certainly be a handy tool to have. I have a Pikachu main for a sparring partner and I can say in my experience that taking T-Jolts can help.

Funnily, Ryu's power is one that I rarely copy. Not so much because it's useless, but simply because I can do to the special inputs to save myself. lol I should try playing Street Fighter 2 sometime.

SmashG0D is actually pretty good with Kirby. Probably top 5 from what I've seen. He recently won a tourney using almost all Kirby. In particular, I'm recalling a moment from his fight with a Zero Suit in grand finals after ZSS had adapted to his crouch where SmashG0D actually made great use of crouch walking to control ZSS' aerial spacing. I haven't seen anybody use crouch walk like that but it seems like it'd be a good skill to learn against those who have to rely on aerials to get next to Kirby.

At 14:33 in this video:

Yeah, that squat-crawl he does is one of the things I like most about his gameplay. It seems like it can really get in your opponent's head when used at the right. I also consider him on of the best Kirb's out there as no other Kirby seems to match is zany yet calculated style. I think another solid Kirby worth noting is Zae26 who can be watch on Most Valuable Gaming. I'd also like to see Twomix 's Kirby in action though I can't find the videos of his tournament scene online. Say @2Mixer, do your matches ever get put on Youtube or Twitch or something like that?

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
Funnily, Ryu's power is one that I rarely copy. Not so much because it's useless, but simply because I can do to the special inputs to save myself. lol I should try playing Street Fighter 2 sometime.
I find it a bit harder to perform with an analog stick that with an arcade stick or a joypad, but only a bit. The one that kills me is the Shoryuken motion leftward fast enough to make a difference in recovery.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ironically, while the main story is pretty straightforward, the extra mode is often more difficult, whether it's by making the enemies stronger, reducing Kirby's maximum health supply, or both. Kirby's Return to Dream Land is a big example of this, where in its Extra mode, Kirby and his allies only have 2/3 of their maximum health, and the enemies are stronger as well.

Fortunately, The "True" Arena allows Kirby to fight at full health, but the limited recovery items that you're given require you to be very careful, especially during the mid-boss bouts. And of course, Galacta Knight is the quarterfinal boss of that game mode.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Also, somebody should be a mod in here. I think we should have a vote on who the mod should be.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Wintermelon43 Wintermelon43 That's not how this works, lol.

The user needs to be an active member of this website and be responsible and such. I also don't think there needs to be any mods here as this subforum's doing just fine. Besides, there are other moderators who can check here. If any problem starts, you can use the report button.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Ironically, while the main story is pretty straightforward, the extra mode is often more difficult, whether it's by making the enemies stronger, reducing Kirby's maximum health supply, or both. Kirby's Return to Dream Land is a big example of this, where in its Extra mode, Kirby and his allies only have 2/3 of their maximum health, and the enemies are stronger as well.

Fortunately, The "True" Arena allows Kirby to fight at full health, but the limited recovery items that you're given require you to be very careful, especially during the mid-boss bouts. And of course, Galacta Knight is the quarterfinal boss of that game mode.
I actually found Dededetour (the Triple Deluxe Extra Mode, for those unsure) not that hard. Probably because you have the OP-and-unable-to-lose Hammer. The only time I recall dying against a boss was the final boss, which you face after two bosses without any breaks between any of them. Although I still need to do the True Arena (which I dread, even with an OP ability). I should note that Triple Deluxe was my third Kirby game, after Dream Land 1 and Adventure.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I actually found Dededetour (the Triple Deluxe Extra Mode, for those unsure) not that hard. Probably because you have the OP-and-unable-to-lose Hammer. The only time I recall dying against a boss was the final boss, which you face after two bosses without any breaks between any of them. Although I still need to do the True Arena (which I dread, even with an OP ability). I should note that Triple Deluxe was my third Kirby game, after Dream Land 1 and Adventure.
I never did bother playing Dedede Tour, since I saw some gameplay footage involving Dark Meta Knight that really made me feel light-headed.

Also, I don't like how The "True" Arena takes away all the Maxim Tomatoes, and replaces them with ordinary tomatoes. At least the Kirby's Return to Dream Land version gives you three Maxim Tomatoes to start out, so it's less atrocious than the versions from Kirby Super Star Ultra and Kirby Triple Deluxe.

On one final note, I really don't like how the Bomb ability got nerfed after Kirby Super Star. In that game, you could control the bomb throw angle by holding the Y button, but now, you have to control the angle manually. And of course, I liked the blue floppy cap way more than the new party hat; the blue floppy cap references Link, who uses bombs himself in his adventures.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I never did bother playing Dedede Tour, since I saw some gameplay footage involving Dark Meta Knight that really made me feel light-headed.
That's just the final boss of the mode,
and the penultimate of the True Arena
Also, I don't like how The "True" Arena takes away all the Maxim Tomatoes, and replaces them with ordinary tomatoes. At least the Kirby's Return to Dream Land version gives you three Maxim Tomatoes to start out, so it's less atrocious than the versions from Kirby Super Star Ultra and Kirby Triple Deluxe.

On one final note, I really don't like how the Bomb ability got nerfed after Kirby Super Star. In that game, you could control the bomb throw angle by holding the Y button, but now, you have to control the angle manually. And of course, I liked the blue floppy cap way more than the new party hat; the blue floppy cap references Link, who uses bombs himself in his adventures.
I never have played either of the Super Star games (I know Ultra was an updated remake), but I do like the floppy hat better. It's like the Sword hat (which as most Kirby players know, is a Link reference).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, somebody should be a mod in here. I think we should have a vote on who the mod should be.
That's not within your jurisdiction to be bringing up. What you're suggesting is a staff only ordeal, so you should not trouble yourself with it. Besides, even if the Kirby sub-forum doesn't have a content moderator right now, there are a couple moderators who moderate the entire character discussion forum, who can help you out with any issues.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think that there's anything Kirby can really get out of using pp tilts? Similar to what Sheik can do with her pp ff tilt?

Last edited:
Top Bottom