• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Now just imagine what you can do with it on Dreamland, Town and City, or Duck Hunt's tree...
On 3DS, Duck Hunt top tree branch was around late 80's or very early 90's on Mario. Unfortunately, I can't test T&C due to lack of Wii U, and with Dream Land 64, I haven't yet tested (same with Battlefield).

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Duck Hunt's not that good cause baiting people under the tree only works on the same person once. The tree area is really small whereas a lot of Dreamland's ground space has platforms over it, making up throw much more threatening. I guess you could always do some up throw shenanigans with the dog on Duck Hunt, though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
duckhunt is great because if you fight certain characters like sheik and zss, they have to approach you, and you can camp the left side of the stage. that and you can back throw people to force the fight to that side of the stage. and because theres so many branch platforms, the danger zone for up throw is so large thatyou cant avoid it as easily as you can on dreamland, and since its static, its more consistent then town and city. plus, you have to be much more precise, but up throw on the right side tree is a thing that can be done as well.

theres also the aspect of the straight walls on the sides of the stage, so its a lot harder fro people to ride the underside of the stage with their recorveries in order to avoid our gimp attemps.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
duckhunt is great because if you fight certain characters like sheik and zss, they have to approach you, and you can camp the left side of the stage. that and you can back throw people to force the fight to that side of the stage. and because theres so many branch platforms, the danger zone for up throw is so large thatyou cant avoid it as easily as you can on dreamland, and since its static, its more consistent then town and city. plus, you have to be much more precise, but up throw on the right side tree is a thing that can be done as well.

theres also the aspect of the straight walls on the sides of the stage, so its a lot harder fro people to ride the underside of the stage with their recorveries in order to avoid our gimp attemps.
I wouldn't want to go to a stage with a lot of room though. Duckhunt is a relatively long stage and it's definitely a lot easier for your opponent to camp you than it is for Kirby to camp them.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Is it just me, or is Lucas really hard to win against now? I can't punish his whiffed grabs anymore thanks to his insane buff and the MU became a real struggle.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me, or is Lucas really hard to win against now? I can't punish his whiffed grabs anymore thanks to his insane buff and the MU became a real struggle.
I think the buffs made it a tougher matchup. fighting him feels more like fighting ness now.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Can't beat anything he has thanks to his disjoints, and now his whiffed grab feels unpunishable on land. Gotta play footsies in the air now to go in, and that's not easy against someone with so many disjoints.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Is anyone here having trouble with the Cloud MU atm? I'd like to sample Cloud more myself, but I'm stuck to 3DS atm, which sorta limits me to Kirby atm (need cstick for Cloud). I'm having alot of trouble punishing his landings since alot of his stuff autocancels, which kinda makes it hard for me to trap him without having to constantly worry about getting hit by a random aerial. Any suggestions?

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Can't beat anything he has thanks to his disjoints, and now his whiffed grab feels unpunishable on land. Gotta play footsies in the air now to go in, and that's not easy against someone with so many disjoints.

How do you deal with his pk fire in the air? That's always been my issue with getting in when it comes to Lucas.

Is anyone here having trouble with the Cloud MU atm? I'd like to sample Cloud more myself, but I'm stuck to 3DS atm, which sorta limits me to Kirby atm (need cstick for Cloud). I'm having alot of trouble punishing his landings since alot of his stuff autocancels, which kinda makes it hard for me to trap him without having to constantly worry about getting hit by a random aerial. Any suggestions?
Clouds been a pain in the *** on Wii U too. His aerials are a pain to deal with and in general it feels like playing marth or lucina. In my experience being patient and forcing him off stage has worked best. I've gotten more consistant spikes with final cutter on cloud than any other character in the game though.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
To avoid his PK fire in the air, honestly your best bet is to learn his jump height and never catch yourself around that range when he decides to throw one out at you. If you do find yourself there, jump/fast fall/airdodge as soon as you hear "PK FI--".

As long as you know how to use Kirby, it'll always come down to matchup knowledge. It's the hardest part of the game, what with too many different characters and many of them being "viable".

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
is anyone available to help me practice rn? if not right now then let me know when a good time for you is through PM! :D

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Is there a legitimate point to shield shuffling? I see a lot of pro players doing it but i still have no clue what its use is.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Is there a legitimate point to shield shuffling? I see a lot of pro players doing it but i still have no clue what its use is.
Not really, the only reason people like @MikeKirby still use it is because of a habit carried over from Brawl to avoid getting shield poked by MK's Mach tornado. Shield poking is nearly non existent in this game, and it rarely ever happens.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys! I just finished Kirby's Dream Land 3 yesterday. I'll just do a simple pros and cons on this one:
Pros:
+ Fantastic visual style
+ New Animal Buddies are awesome
+ Pretty decent boss fights
+ Solid soundtrack
+ Co-Op (I love Co-Op)
+ Even more ways to experiment with Animal Buddies and Copy Abilities

Cons:
- Mission structure can get annoying on a few occasions (World 3-6 is a prime example)
- Could have benefitted from another world or two
- A lot of the enemies felt very haphazardly placed
- Only one Copy Ability introduced and said ability isn't too great unless for doing certain missions and can be useful on some Animal Buddies (Chuchu makes Clean pretty fun to use)

Overall, Dream Land 3 is a decent game, but I'd put it on the same level as a Squeak Squad. A decent entry in the Kirby series, but not one of the better entries. Sucks that this game gets shoved to the sides since it's pretty solid.

Also, I love this commercial:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Overall, Dream Land 3 is a decent game, but I'd put it on the same level as a Squeak Squad. A decent entry in the Kirby series, but not one of the better entries. Sucks that this game gets shoved to the sides since it's pretty solid.
There's a lot to love about Kirby's Dreamland 3 (KD3). I think the animal helpers are adorable, and the art style is superb. The game mechanics feel a little outdated, but all the Ability/Helper combos are a lot of fun to play around with.

I've always held KD3 in regard, but it would be amazing if a KD3-style game was made. It could easily be one of the best Kirby games if done right.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
There's a lot to love about Kirby's Dreamland 3 (KD3). I think the animal helpers are adorable, and the art style is superb. The game mechanics feel a little outdated, but all the Ability/Helper combos are a lot of fun to play around with.

I've always held KD3 in regard, but it would be amazing if a KD3-style game was made. It could easily be one of the best Kirby games if done right.
It's especially jarring after Super Star, since Dream Land 3 feels more like an old school Kirby game, whereas Super Star was ahead for the time and Squeak Squad I believe was the first game to bring back a lot of the concepts Super Star had, such as multiple attacks for Copy Abilities and health bar as opposed to hit points. I haven't played Amazing Mirror yet, so I could be wrong on that.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Super Star is so good, I've got tons of fond memories of that game. It even feels great playing it today, and it came out on the SNES ages ago!

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Super Star is so good, I've got tons of fond memories of that game. It even feels great playing it today, and it came out on the SNES ages ago!
I was spoiled by Super Star Ultra, which was my second Kirby game, with the NES version of Nightmare in Dream Land (which is a better name than Kirby's Adventure) being my first. I lost my copy to Super Star Ultra (and I'm hoping that it's released on the Wii U VC at some point). I have the original Super Star, and don't get me wrong, it's fantastic, but I found myself liking other Kirby games more, like 64 and Return to Dream Land. I give Super Star a lot of credit for introducing concepts later Kirby games will later have, and I do like all the games the game has to offer (with the slight exception of Great Cave Offensive). Going from Ultra to the original had the opposite effect of Super Mario 64 DS to the original 64 for me. I hated the controls for the DS remake, so I found myself liking the original 64 more despite the extras the DS version had. Super Star Ultra had extra games that I liked, such as Meta Knight Ultra and of course, Revenge of the King. I also like the look of Ultra more than the original version. It doesn't hinder the SNES version at all, but I just like the look of the DS version more.
Super Star and it's remake are fantastic, but I find myself gravitating to other Kirby games more, mainly 64 and Return to Dream Land.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Super Star and it's remake are fantastic, but I find myself gravitating to other Kirby games more, mainly 64 and Return to Dream Land.
You gave a number of good reasons why Super Star (Ultra) is a great game - and I agree - but the only thing you said in regard to 64 and Return to Dreamland is that you like them more. I'd like to know what makes you prefer 64 and Return to Dream Land.

P.S.
I didn't really like Great Cave Offensive when I first played it, but after playing through Kirby Super Star sooooo many times, I actually really love Great Cave Offensive now.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
You gave a number of good reasons why Super Star (Ultra) is a great game - and I agree - but the only thing you said in regard to 64 and Return to Dreamland is that you like them more. I'd like to know what makes you prefer 64 and Return to Dream Land.

P.S.
I didn't really like Great Cave Offensive when I first played it, but after playing through Kirby Super Star sooooo many times, I actually really love Great Cave Offensive now.
For Kirby 64, it's the variety in the Double Copy Ability introduced. Yeah, 64's selection of Copy Abilities isn't that great, but it makes up for it with the experimentation of mixing Copy Abilities together. Yeah, not all of them are winners (Bomb/Stone and Burning/Spark are awful), but there are some really good ones such as Spark/Cutter (Double Lightsaber is awesome) and Ice/Spark is great because you can get health back. The soundtrack is also one of my favorite soundtracks in the series.

As for Return to Dream Land, to me, that game felt like a "Best of Kirby" compilation. It had amazing new Copy Abilities (Water and Leaf are fantastic), the multiplayer, while having the dumb decision to have everyone start over when Kirby dies, can be a fun experience, and it combined a lot of elements from other Kirby games. The Energy Spheres are reminiscent of the Rainbow Drops, Heart Stars, Crystal Shards, multiplayer could be taken from Amazing Mirror (haven't played it, but I've seen 4 Kirbys used in the game), and the worlds feel as if they came from other Kirby games.

It's not a lot, but stuff like that is what makes me like 64 and Return to Dream Land over Super Star and its remake.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I wish I could play the older Kirby games. I only have a 3DS, so I can't play KDL 3, 64, Super Star etc. Neither can I play Nightmare, Squeak, Super Star Ultra, Canvas Curse and Mass Attack as they are too old to easily get hold of a cartridge for them.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I wish I could play the older Kirby games. I only have a 3DS, so I can't play KDL 3, 64, Super Star etc. Neither can I play Nightmare, Squeak, Super Star Ultra, Canvas Curse and Mass Attack as they are too old to easily get hold of a cartridge for them.
You can always go on Amazon for the DS Kirby games. Assuming you're going for cart-only, they shouldn't be too expensive.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
There's always
emulation
EDIT: Nevermind, I see your laptop can't handle it.

I dunno man, I thought Great Cave Offensive was one of the better ones. That and Marx's game; maybe it's because I'm a sucker for metroidvania games with nice controls.

I'm still waiting for another Kirby game that allows you to mix copy abilities like Crystal Shards did. You say bomb/rock was bad, but if you launched it at opponents and gave yourself time to hide in your hat, as soon as the dynamite touched them (as long as it was while in mid-air), it would explode automatically and clear the screen. I liked it! I think my favorite combo in that one was fire and cutter, the big flaming Flamberge that you could either swing or throw. I don't remember but I think if you turned around and an enemy happened to clip on the sword, they'd get hurt even if you didn't attack.

Last edited:

Parisienne

Umbran Witch
I haven't played a Kirby game besides Super Star on SNES Emulation. Where would I even begin?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I've heard tales-- no, legends regarding Kirby & the Amazing Mirror. Try that one?

Parisienne

Umbran Witch
Okay this looks hype, good start.

Also hi, Kirby player looking to post/read these forums religiously in pursuit of knowledge.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Okay this looks hype, good start.

Also hi, Kirby player looking to post/read these forums religiously in pursuit of knowledge.
If you have 3DS, Triple Deluxe is pretty dang good. And welcome!

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Triple Deluxe is what got me back into the Kirby series. I kinda had this mentality of "A game needs to be hard to be good" when I was in my early teens. I'm in my late teens now, so if a game's fun, I'll like it.

Top Bottom