• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
It's definitely what Kirby needed. However, I highly doubt it's going to move Kirby up to what he truly needs to be successful as it isn't super crazy substantial of a buff given Kirby doesn't have a super easy time getting grabs.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kirby still needs the ability to push people off edges when he hits their shields, or to slide off of Lylat cruise when he downB's on a corner and the stage tilts in your favor, or a bit more grab range since he slides too far to punish lots of things when shielding, or...

But the uthrow buff is appreciated!

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Yep. We ran faster than :4rob: now! (Which I assume means we've gone from 1.5 -> 1.57 or something like that) While it hasn't turned us into rushdown characters, it does mean we'll have an easier time getting punishes and grabs.

Still waiting for them to fix Final Cutter though. :dizzy:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
wow

imo this patch just completed Kirby, I'm satisfied with the end results

if we get some sort of FC buff in February I'll be happy but I don't expect it and don't need it

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Yeah that's exactly how I feel too. Kirby finally feels complete. There are some minor buffs I'd like to Final Cutter, Dash Attack, Stone, and Hammer but I'd be fine if he never gets any more changes. He is so much better now than he was on the game's release. imo this is Kirby's best iteration since N64.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Tbh I would be completely satisfied with him if they made frame data changes to Fair, Uair, and Nair.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
U-Air? I get F-Air and N-Air but why U-Air?

edit: o yea aerial endlag on U-Air is **** lol

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Tbh I would be completely satisfied with him if they made frame data changes to Fair, Uair, and Nair.
That and fixing dash attack and we'll have an extremely honest iteration of Kirby that's neither undertuned/overtuned.

What kind of changes would you guys suggest for dash attack overall? My issue with it mainly is how easy it is to SDI out of it, and I've had some players do it to me and nair me during the animation for it (I use it to catch rolls should pivot grab not work).

Last edited:

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
imo Dash Attack just needs a damage boost. It's a pretty high commitment move for only 9% damage. Bump it back to 14% like it was in Brawl and it'll be solid.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
or keep it weak but give it major frame data improvements so it's actually reminiscent of the actual move

in Super Star the description of the move literally talks about how it's super fast

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Generally quicker aerials and a Final Cutter that could safely knock foes like :4ness::4peach::4myfriends::4yoshi: and :4dedede: out of the air along with having a usable projectile would make Kirby's neutral perfect for what it is in my eyes. As for Dash Attack, just make it so foes don't fall out so easily and possibly give it more of a burst like they did with :4dk:'s dash attack.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Or change it so it's similar to Marios, if you played Kirby and the amazing mirror, that little slide kick seems cool

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I remember reading that it was his dash attack in Smash 64, but I'm doubting that now.
His Dash Attack in SSB (64) was a face-plant similar to Dedede's. Jigglypuff was a clone of Kirby back then, and she still has his Dash Attack to this very day. I would really prefer him having that over his current one.

His 'slide-kick' was when you attacked while crouching in almost all the Kirby games. It wouldn't feel right as a Dash Attack, but it would be fine for a D-tilt such as what Mega Man has. I would actually prefer that kind of Down Tilt, even though his current one is really good. A slide-kick would be more appropriate.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Cloud's slide kick is ridiculously good. Megaman and Kirby and everyone else are jealous :c
Closest Kirby can get is that pivot running slide thing -> dtilt... which is decent enough!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well you literally have to pivot (as in, do a turnaround while running) to do it.... but if that's the only way to get the sliding dtilt, I guess just calling it that works too.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
His Dash Attack in SSB (64) was a face-plant similar to Dedede's. Jigglypuff was a clone of Kirby back then, and she still has his Dash Attack to this very day. I would really prefer him having that over his current one.

His 'slide-kick' was when you attacked while crouching in almost all the Kirby games. It wouldn't feel right as a Dash Attack, but it would be fine for a D-tilt such as what Mega Man has. I would actually prefer that kind of Down Tilt, even though his current one is really good. A slide-kick would be more appropriate.
Yeah, you'd know more than me, considering Smash 4 is my first outing, and well, you have known Kirby better than me and for longer.

Imagine if Kirby had the slide kick d-tilt, but it had the same chance of tripping as his current one. It seems like that would be much more useful (key word: seems).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Imagine if Kirby had the slide kick d-tilt, but it had the same chance of tripping as his current one. It seems like that would be much more useful (key word: seems).
I'd be all for it. One of the problems with D-tilt right now is that even if you force a trip the opponent can be knocked too far away for a solid follow-up. If Kirby were to slide forward and trip at the same time he'd be able to convert much more easily, as long as the D-tilt was fast enough.

I would think it could be changed up enough where there's a strong non-tripping sweetspot at the start-up that knocks opponents away similar to a weak F-tilt hitbox, and then the tripping hitbox comes into effect toward the end. It would work similar to Wario's Dash Attack if you're familiar with that.

My only qualm would be that the Slide Kick in Kirby canon has always been a stronger hit that knocks enemies away. Then again, he doesn't even have his Slide Kick represented in any Smash game to date. :\

This is such a good change. Still, I'm hoping for more buffs. I'm not feeling complete with this character just yet.
I know what you mean. The buffs are nice and are a welcome change but I can't help but think that Kirby's just a poor version of Mario. They both enjoy CQC advantages with 'Grab & Combo' strats, but everything of Mario's feels like a better version of Kirby's.

With the U-throw and run speed buffs it at least helps bring Kirby up a little closer to Mario's level of play (getting KO'd by Mario's Back Throw always stung a little). But I hope they continue to fix up some of Kirby's more questionable faults - and if they can do it while making Kirby more like Kirby, so much the better.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I'd be all for it. One of the problems with D-tilt right now is that even if you force a trip the opponent can be knocked too far away for a solid follow-up. If Kirby were to slide forward and trip at the same time he'd be able to convert much more easily, as long as the D-tilt was fast enough.

I would think it could be changed up enough where there's a strong non-tripping sweetspot at the start-up that knocks opponents away similar to a weak F-tilt hitbox, and then the tripping hitbox comes into effect toward the end. It would work similar to Wario's Dash Attack if you're familiar with that.

My only qualm would be that the Slide Kick in Kirby canon has always been a stronger hit that knocks enemies away. Then again, he doesn't even have his Slide Kick represented in any Smash game to date. :\
I've played very few non-Kirby or Pokemon series characters outside of Classic and All Star. I initially got the game for Greninja, then moved to Lucario as the ninja was too complex to start out with, then gradually moved to the Kirby cast. So the answer to Wario's Dash Attack, is no.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
So

Anyone here try getting the Kirby badges from the Badge Arcade? I was lucaky enough to get all the ones that start up stuff like Mii Plaza.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
So

Anyone here try getting the Kirby badges from the Badge Arcade? I was lucaky enough to get all the ones that start up stuff like Mii Plaza.
I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm interested in the Kirby badges.
I've only played it once and got some Gengar badges, which are pretty cool.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
This is such a good change. Still, I'm hoping for more buffs. I'm not feeling complete with this character just yet.
Fully agreed. Thus, we should be grateful that we had a critical flaw addressed but not get TOO enthusiastic about the buffs like the community apparently did back in 1.10. There's still plenty of stuff in Kirby's kit that could be substantially improved. Namely, his aerials, Final Cutter, and Down B.

I could just be paranoid, but I feel like the moment you start getting too content with a character's current state, the lower they tend to drop on the dev team's Buff List. This is also why I am hoping the few Kirby's that exist in Japan don't get TOO much more successful. I noticed several characters that could definitely use some improvements like:4bowserjr:,:4drmario:, :4megaman:,:4gaw:, and :4duckhunt: are getting zip, likely because of the success some Japanese players are finding or top players over there placing them in higher regard than the west.
I mean look at Abadango's 1.1.2 list of relevancy:

http://abadango.com/ssb4-tier-list-ver-1-1-2/

While some may have been upset by Kirby's lack of presence in Japan, I always saw Japanese competitive players like Abadango and Rain not seeing his merits as a bit of a blessing in disguise because Kirby not having much success in both the West AND East gave him a better chance of getting buffed. Of course that doesn't guarentee anything if :4jigglypuff: is anything to go by but it definitely improves your chances.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for having the community view Kirby in better light but I'd rather have my main be underrated and get more buffs than overrated and left with nothing, if you know what I mean.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Fully agreed. Thus, we should be grateful that we had a critical flaw addressed but not get TOO enthusiastic about the buffs like the community apparently did back in 1.10. There's still plenty of stuff in Kirby's kit that could be substantially improved. Namely, his aerials, Final Cutter, and Down B.

I could just be paranoid, but I feel like the moment you start getting too content with a character's current state, the lower they tend to drop on the dev team's Buff List. This is also why I am hoping the few Kirby's that exist in Japan don't get TOO much more successful. I noticed several characters that could definitely use some improvements like:4bowserjr:,:4drmario:, :4megaman:,:4gaw:, and :4duckhunt: are getting zip, likely because of the success some Japanese players are finding or top players over there placing them in higher regard than the west.
I mean look at Abadango's 1.1.2 list of relevancy:

http://abadango.com/ssb4-tier-list-ver-1-1-2/

While some may have been upset by Kirby's lack of presence in Japan, I always saw Japanese competitive players like Abadango and Rain not seeing his merits as a bit of a blessing in disguise because Kirby not having much success in both the West AND East gave him a better chance of getting buffed. Of course that doesn't guarentee anything if :4jigglypuff: is anything to go by but it definitely improves your chances.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for having the community view Kirby in better light but I'd rather have my main be underrated and get more buffs than overrated and left with nothing, if you know what I mean.
Totally feel you in that bro. But it's very embarrassing when someone finds out you play smash bros and asks you who you main.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Totally feel you in that bro. But it's very embarrassing when someone finds out you play smash bros and asks you who you main.
Back when I was first getting into Smash, I asked another guy I know who he mains. I had to clarify the meaning of main, and he told me to never use the term again.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
I think it depends on how well you put up a fight though.
I guess? I mean it's usually when we aren't anywhere near any sort of setup. I'm not big on talking up my skill level when it comes to any kind of competitive games. I'd rather let them talk themselves up and then give them the business after :^)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I think it's best summed up that you want Kirby to have a fair shot at being balanced in regard to the rest of the cast. I think it's especially important for characters to be buffed up to whatever level of strength the dev team wants to have for the game.

From how Mario, Sheik, and Zero Suit have hardly been touched, it would seem that's about how strong of a character Smash 4 is suppose to be balanced around. If this is the case, then Kirby still has a little bit of buffing to go.

Making his Aerial attacks faster would be an improvement, but I would love to see his Final Cutter more useful and his Inhale become good enough to be a staple of his game play. Oh, and why they have his N-air last forever off-stage is still a mystery to me. An FAF of 50 would be plenty long enough, I think.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Kirby's only buffed every other patch so don't expect any more buffs,
I don't know. Ever since 1.10, Kirby being buffed has been rather consistent. The only time where a good portion of the cast got buffed while he was left with nothing was 1.0.8.

That said though, Kirby not getting buffed again is a possibility and sure I hope the devs don't think Kirby's optimally balanced yet. He's close but still not there yet. Kirby will need to have a reliable Final Cutter as well as at least one more aerial as quick as or faster than B-Air to make his neutral workable when he doesn't have a copy ability. I've noticed that starting with 1.1.0, they've slowly been giving Kirby a lot of his Brawl tools back like the Gonzo Combo, usable Inhale (lose of grab armor sucks but the frame data makes it usable. Still not perfect but usable) and a Strong Up Throw. The only things he's still missing is a viable Final Cutter and aerials he can safely toss out in neutral. Final Cutter became unusable when they cut the projectile's range so perhaps they could compensate by cutting the startup and end lag. As for aerials, there's many ways they could go about, but Kirby needs a reliable aerial to toss out. Right now they aren't too effective because of their startup and in B-Air's case, the greater landing lag.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I guess? I mean it's usually when we aren't anywhere near any sort of setup. I'm not big on talking up my skill level when it comes to any kind of competitive games. I'd rather let them talk themselves up and then give them the business after :^)

That's true. I've never been one to talk my Kirby up because I know I need work as a player but I do advocate for Kirby secretly being the best in the game that way when they argue against it destroying their "totally op" Cpt. Falcon or Fox is a bit more demoralizing

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
Give Kirby a kill throw and make Up B a reliable spike and Kirby would rise a bit on a tier list imo.

Top Bottom