• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
I was playing online against a really good Luigi today. Outside of his down throw he is not even a hard match up, but because of down throw this man should just change his name to "Guaranteed". Kirby is so light he can only afford to get grabbed twice lol, and once KIrby is over 75% either a down-throw to cyclone or a super jump punch. What can you do versus something that is Guaranteed??
Honestly, I don't have much trouble with Lugi. You can gimp him easily, but his rising Cyclone is really annoying.

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Honestly, I don't have much trouble with Lugi. You can gimp him easily, but his rising Cyclone is really annoying.
I have trouble. Once Kirby has decent stage control it is not bad at all. Against a good Luigi a mistake for us is a stock or a 25%+ conversion, a mistake for Luigi may cost him some damage. He secures stage control very easily that makes it hard for me to get in. Really it is just getting grabbed that leads to Mr. Guaranteed pulling off his guaranteed combos.

#StillSalty

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby is so light he can only afford to get grabbed twice lol, and once KIrby is over 75% either a down-throw to cyclone or a super jump punch. What can you do versus something that is Guaranteed??
Is Super Jump Punch guaranteed if you DI behind Luigi? I'm not sure if he can sweet-spot it or not if you go behind him. Also, try to Smash DI down against the Cyclone to drop out of it before the final hit can KO you. Other than that, you gotta play like your life depends on not getting grabbed. It's been that way in at least one match-up for Kirby in every Smash game. XD

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Is Super Jump Punch guaranteed if you DI behind Luigi? I'm not sure if he can sweet-spot it or not if you go behind him. Also, try to Smash DI down against the Cyclone to drop out of it before the final hit can KO you. Other than that, you gotta play like your life depends on not getting grabbed. It's been that way in at least one match-up for Kirby in every Smash game. XD
At death percentages it is. If Luigi can catch your DI behind him, down throw will pop you right above him. If Luigi jumps up and back then super jump punch can connect. Of course it's rage and damage dependent, it didn't happen every time and if it seemed like super jump was not going to connect cyclone was the next best option.

After testing, it seems that DI ing away from Luigi is the option to avoid Super jump punch and rely on being able to get out of the cyclone.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I can't stay away >.<

So I might pick this character up again as a secondary for when I'm teaming with people who aren't @Eevee!!
Turns out as good as Kirby/Pacman is, Pacman is not so good with some of the other characters in the cast, like Pika, so I need a new teams character.

Also it turns out that Brawl combined with playing against Kirby constantly have made it so my Kirby isn't half bad.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
As with most Villager teams, Villager/Kirby is an absurdly strong team. Kirby true combos into whatever pocketed projectile he has, from uptilt or downair. It's so good @_@

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Kirby is an excellent team character, one of the best in the game.
Kirby/Shulk, yea best recovery, amazing ground speed, seriouse damage racking, good KOing, great spacing and......yea
Seriously what is one problem that team has?
Wha character also benefits teaming with Kirby? Robin maybe? Olimar and a few others.
Ugh irritates me some people think Kirby is complete crap w/o customs.....HES NOT
but he has like.....nothing about him that actually makes him dangerous
School time gotta go

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Howdy Kirbies

I figure I'd be around the Kirby and Lucas threads more since the Shulk thread right now is an unsafe place with Xenoblade X spoilers out the wazoo.

Plus. I love Kirby games so much. Dream Land 2 was the first platformer I finished tbh

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Kirby is an excellent team character, one of the best in the game.
Kirby/Shulk, yea best recovery, amazing ground speed, seriouse damage racking, good KOing, great spacing and......yea
Seriously what is one problem that team has?
Wha character also benefits teaming with Kirby? Robin maybe? Olimar and a few others.
Ugh irritates me some people think Kirby is complete crap w/o customs.....HES NOT
but he has like.....nothing about him that actually makes him dangerous
School time gotta go
I don't think there actually is a character that doesn't work well when teamed with Kirby. Pretty much all of his normals set up team combos, as do his throws.

He also has good kill power and Gimping ability. If his partner can stock tank then his lightness stops being an issue. He also benefits from a lot of abilities.

Honestly I think Kirby is a top tier doubles character.

In singles he's still dangerous, but now he has to deal with bad matchups. That said with good fundamentals Kirby is still dangerous (still think he's not great in single , but viable) .

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
If Villager can Pocket Wave Cutter, it KOs Kirby at around 70% and it comes out immediately. If nothing else that is why Kirby/Villager is OP. =P

But yeah, Kirby is great in Doubles. A lot of effective Singles characters are lesser in Doubles, and vice versa. It's nice.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Yes! Also, if the copy ability of your partner is not good, you can always use the spit star, which does a really good amount of damage.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
http://sdremix.com/characters/kirby/
Guys look! They made Melee Kirby a good character(Bout dang time guys, Seriously). I recommend you guys check it out as it's basically a more balanced melee where every character is equipped with the proper tools to handle top-tiers while keeping their playstyles in tact. Never thought i'd be able to see the day where a fox gets 4 stocked by a Kirby and know it can actually happen. MAN, IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm a little bummed right now because there's a big tournament coming up (they boast 200+ unique entrants) and they posted this in the rules:

"THERE WILL BE NO SMASH 4"

They've had Smash 4 included in the line-up since the game launched, but suddenly posted this in the rules with no reason. Although the TO's are Melee/PM players, I'd like to give them more credit than personal bias for excluding such a popular and much-loved Smash game from the list.

The reason I'm bummed is because last tournament I beat @T0MMY in Semi-Finals and then he came back and beat me in Grand Finals. I want my revenge. XD (at least we went on to take 1st in Doubles).

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
http://sdremix.com/characters/kirby/
Guys look! They made Melee Kirby a good character(Bout dang time guys, Seriously). I recommend you guys check it out as it's basically a more balanced melee where every character is equipped with the proper tools to handle top-tiers while keeping their playstyles in tact. Never thought i'd be able to see the day where a fox gets 4 stocked by a Kirby and know it can actually happen. MAN, IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!
Um so........how do I play it?

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Obviously be patient and be scared of being directly over Robin - how else does Kirby play that MU? It's tough getting in against a wall of projectiles. I approach by jumping high and timing the BAir, but maybe staying closer to the ground and mixing up airdodge and SHFAir?

I feel like if I don't wax on before he gets that arcthunder charged, I'm ****ed trying to approach at mid- to hi-percents. Even when I get in, shielding in front of him, within range of that fireball, leaves me dealing with a mix-up I feel outclassed in. So if I'm not sticking and moving, and keeping on the pressure when his arcthunder isn't charged, I feel like the pace of the match is out of my control.

Being above that little ******* is a ***** too. His (UAir?) is deceptively long. Feels a lot like being above Marth but worse.

Despite it all, I don't feel worried returning to the edge? Idk, any insight?

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Obviously be patient and be scared of being directly over Robin - how else does Kirby play that MU? It's tough getting in against a wall of projectiles. I approach by jumping high and timing the BAir, but maybe staying closer to the ground and mixing up airdodge and SHFAir?

I feel like if I don't wax on before he gets that arcthunder charged, I'm ****ed trying to approach at mid- to hi-percents. Even when I get in, shielding in front of him, within range of that fireball, leaves me dealing with a mix-up I feel outclassed in. So if I'm not sticking and moving, and keeping on the pressure when his arcthunder isn't charged, I feel like the pace of the match is out of my control.

Being above that little ******* is a ***** too. His (UAir?) is deceptively long. Feels a lot like being above Marth but worse.

Despite it all, I don't feel worried returning to the edge? Idk, any insight?
Robin imo doesn't really force kirby to approach bescause we can duck under his thunder spells. Arcfire also isn't that good of a projectile tbh since you can just shield and roll away once it touches your sheild and because of her slow dash speed their isn't anything she can do about it.

Last edited:

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
I'm a little bummed right now because there's a big tournament coming up (they boast 200+ unique entrants) and they posted this in the rules:

"THERE WILL BE NO SMASH 4"

They've had Smash 4 included in the line-up since the game launched, but suddenly posted this in the rules with no reason. Although the TO's are Melee/PM players, I'd like to give them more credit than personal bias for excluding such a popular and much-loved Smash game from the list.

The reason I'm bummed is because last tournament I beat @T0MMY in Semi-Finals and then he came back and beat me in Grand Finals. I want my revenge. XD (at least we went on to take 1st in Doubles).
I'm pretty sure it's just this tournament. Smash 4 has been very popular the last few months, and some are even claiming it gets too much attention (not that I mind, I love the game). But it's really annoying if some tourney drops a game for no reason if that same tournament had that game for a long time.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Robin imo doesn't really force kirby to approach bescause we can duck under his thunder spells. Arcfire also isn't that good of a projectile tbh since you can just shield and roll away once it touches your sheild and because of her slow dash speed their isn't anything she can do about it.
Let assume then that Robin takes the lead and camps?

The whole rolling bit, as a defense against arcfire, relates to whether or not arcthunder is charged, otherwise rolling back is moot, and rolling forward puts you next to him. Can't spotdodge but you don't want to stay there.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
i entered a tournament today! i won round 1-3 and lost to a VEY VERY good sonic so now i wait in losers finals.....wish me luck!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Smash 4 has been very popular the last few months, and some are even claiming it gets too much attention.
It sounds sort of ridiculous to try to make it out as a bad thing that any Smash gets 'too much' attention. As a Smasher I support all the games in the series and can't imagine any of them getting 'too much' attention.

@ Asdioh Asdioh
t0mmy says your name "az-dy-oh' but I always thought it was 'az-dee-oh'. Which is it? Now that I'm thinking about it... what does it mean?

Grass

Smash Lord
I'm really happy that Kirby is actually good in this game. A lot of people sleep on Kirby and after like 2 weeks of playing with Kirby. I can safely say I'll be maining kirby for the coming months ahead.

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
It sounds sort of ridiculous to try to make it out as a bad thing that any Smash gets 'too much' attention. As a Smasher I support all the games in the series and can't imagine any of them getting 'too much' attention.

@ Asdioh Asdioh
t0mmy says your name "az-dy-oh' but I always thought it was 'az-dee-oh'. Which is it? Now that I'm thinking about it... what does it mean?
It's definitely Asidoh.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Hey guys, we're streaming our first torunament. Just pulled a win with Kirby and a surprise Villager against a Mario and Pac-Man. 2-1-

Come see if you want! http://www.twitch.tv/ignitetvmid

EDIT: Sorry guys, got destroyed by Rosalina & Yoshi, but managed to get 4th place out of 21. Won 2-1 in all sets against Mario/Pac-Man (using Villager in the last game. I don't even play Villager, wth), Peach and the same Mario again, this time on stream that last set was really hype.

Here's the archive http://www.twitch.tv/ignitetvmid/b/657329526?t=8m32s
My match with Peach is at 37:03, and the other ones are at 1:41:30 and 1:57:49 The Bracket is in the tournament results thread.

Last edited:

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
so i got to losers finals and won with a lucky footstool to stone combo!!!!! won a smooth 60 bucks

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I ended up doing a test just recently, D-Tilt conversions, to be more precise.

I wanted to see how the D-Tilt was efficient on characters, and well, it was all over the place. Some characters had it work to kill %s, others had it stop working relatively early.

The test was as follows, position Kirby to where D-Tilt hit at around the middle of the overall hitbox, then see if F-Smash connected. A lot more time-consuming than it sounds, since I retested multiple times for consistency.

The big factors, I realized, were how much they slid back, their tripping animation as a whole, and what position they were in (tripped stance), the reason of which why characters like Shulk and Ike are hard to hit thanks to their slide and animation. I don't know how precisely how low or high the conversion can go, but the closer D-Tilt is, the later %s it can hit the opponent.

Little to No Conversion
:4luigi:

Low %s (~30%)
:4mario::4myfriends::4duckhunt::4kirby::4shulk::4drmario:

Mid %s (~40-50%)
:4zelda::4tlink::4pit::4marth::4robinm::4fox::4charizard::4greninja::4falcon::4olimar::4wiifit::4darkpit::4lucina::4pacman::4sonic::4mewtwo:

High %s (~70-80%)
:4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4dk::4diddy::4gaw::4littlemac::4link::4sheik::4ganondorf::4samus::4zss::4palutena::4dedede::4metaknight::4falco::4pikachu::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4rob::4ness::4villager::4megaman:

A lot of characters fall under mid-to-high %s with this conversion, which can equate to KOs with those like Rosalina, Sheik, Diddy, and Villager. And in the case of it going past %s, the best option is to go for grab instead. In fact, you can grab instead of Smash if you wish in a lot of cases, which can provide a good mix up.

I hope this helps out, fellow Kirby mains!

Last edited:

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
I ended up doing a test just recently, D-Tilt conversions, to be more precise.

I wanted to see how the D-Tilt was efficient on characters, and well, it was all over the place. Some characters had it work to kill %s, others had it stop working relatively early.

The test was as follows, position Kirby to where D-Tilt hit at around the middle of the overall hitbox, then see if F-Smash connected. A lot more time-consuming than it sounds, since I retested multiple times for consistency.

The big factors, I realized, were how much they slid back, their tripping animation as a whole, and what position they were in (tripped stance), the reason of which why characters like Shulk and Ike are hard to hit thanks to their slide and animation. I don't know how precisly how low or high the conversion can go, but the closer D-Tilt is, the later %s it can hit the opponent.

Little to No Conversion
:4luigi:

Low %s (~30%)
:4mario::4myfriends::4duckhunt::4kirby::4shulk::4drmario:

Mid %s (~40-50%)
:4zelda::4tlink::4pit::4marth::4robinm::4fox::4charizard::4greninja::4falcon::4olimar::4wiifit::4darkpit::4lucina::4pacman::4sonic::4mewtwo:

High %s (~70-80%)
:4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4dk::4diddy::4gaw::4littlemac::4link::4sheik::4ganondorf::4samus::4zss::4palutena::4dedede::4metaknight::4falco::4pikachu::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4rob::4ness::4villager::4megaman:

A lot of characters fall under mid-to-high %s with this conversion, which can equate to KOs with those like Rosalina, Sheik, Diddy, and Villager. And in the case of it going past %s, the best option is to go for grab instead. In fact, you can grab instead of Smash if you wish in a lot of cases, which can provide a good mix up.

I hope this helps out, fellow Kirby mains!
thanks for this! when i try to f smash i miss and get punished which gets me like ness grabbed or something.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
That's actually very important info, on a similar level to Back Throw -> Back Air stuff. Good research!

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
That's actually very important info, on a similar level to Back Throw -> Back Air stuff. Good research!
Not a problem at all!

The difficult part was that I had to use the "Walk" AI in Training so that it could be confirmed, since other AI tend to sit there or do all sorts of things that could make it seem like it was a combo in the first place. Combine that with having to hit the middle of the D-Tilt hitbox approximately, and it took me hours. Then again, I'm free for the summer now, and my old Wii U is about to get shipped for GamePad repairs (for $119+, but better than buying a refurbished one, plus I get one-year warranty, so I can use my little bro's Wii U for the time-being to test things...all summer long.

But it must be emphasized that WHERE D-Tilt hits (close, mid, far) does matter with the conversion. Closer means those %s get higher since the distance between Kirby and the opponent is smaller, farther means those %s to convert get smaller, for Kirby has more to travel.

I forgot to mention U-Smash works as well, but I don't know know specifics (I do believe it is much more nit-picky than F-Smash, though). I'll probably study that now since U-Smash is a deadly tool thanks to the buff.

EDIT: Two seconds in, and U-Smash is barely even an option as a combo, just use UP F-Smash. XD

Last edited:
Top Bottom