• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Had a few matches with a fellow friend of mine today, some with Bowser, DHD, DK, and Yoshi. Take a guess how that went.

In all honesty, I did pretty good, but in terms of the Kirby v. Yoshi MU...well...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
video games
Hey I got to watching that Lucario/Dabuz match today, I just wanna ask why you picked Lylat twice in a row? I would think it would be way easier to spam pikmin against Olimar on a flat stage, the curves of Lylat I think gave you a huge disadvantage.

I haven't seen the Vinnie match, he played Sheik right? I wanna see that

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Hey I got to watching that Lucario/Dabuz match today, I just wanna ask why you picked Lylat twice in a row? I would think it would be way easier to spam pikmin against Olimar on a flat stage, the curves of Lylat I think gave you a huge disadvantage.

I haven't seen the Vinnie match, he played Sheik right? I wanna see that
Yeah. It's probably not the best idea but I was mainly trying to CP his Rosalina. I originally wanted Omega Lylat but EVO ruleset bans omegas because of legal issues. I guess I maybe could have gone to Delfino? Hmm, I think he banned that against me. I probably should have gone Town and City. :ohwell:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Mike, why'd you try CPing Norfair against Mewtwo? He timed you out really hard. Not sure why you ran Ice Breath, either. Seemed to just help him time you out... :4mewtwo:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Yeah. It's probably not the best idea but I was mainly trying to CP his Rosalina. I originally wanted Omega Lylat but EVO ruleset bans omegas because of legal issues. I guess I maybe could have gone to Delfino? Hmm, I think he banned that against me. I probably should have gone Town and City. :ohwell:
Banned DP (though I honestly don't mind it). I picked Oli when he picked lylat because that stage helps oli and hurts rosa in the MU.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Banned DP (though I honestly don't mind it). I picked Oli when he picked lylat because that stage helps oli and hurts rosa in the MU.
Because of recovery options, or is there more to it? The stage has recently gotten a good upgrade towards the ledges, or is that still a problem?

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I've made a terrible mistake.
I've started a new file on Kirby Triple Deluxe.
Which means I will inevitably try for 100% again.
Which means I have to play Dedede's Drum Dash again.
I wonder how much I'll cry this time.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You guys are tAking mystatement too literally. But thats pprobably my fault

Point is, customless kirby sucks and i will probably never play him in tournament ever again. Because hes so limited as a character that even the matchups he does well in (mario bros for example) he can llose easily due to nlt having enough versatility to make the most of his openings.

To timmy, gameplay doesnt revolve around specials, sure. But there are many crucial moments that are swayed in kirbys favor due to just the threat of those moves. When im at high percent on the ledge, sometimes people let me back on stage be cause they are afraid of jumping inhale. Or they put themselves farther offstage than they need to after i hit them because they are afraid of upper cutter. Or hammer bash makes them scared to spotdodge so they do other defensive options that make things like punishing a whiffed grab harder for them.

I dont have to hit with these moves for the threat to be there. But when the tools are not there for me the intimidation factor is gone, and i domt get those small advantages anymore which end up making big differences in The overall outcome of the match.

edit http://www.twitch.tv/smashtheroc/b/651275597
4:05 is when grand finals starts, I play a lot of kirby in those games. please excuse the fisher price quality recording.

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing Kirby for so long now, and even with his flaws he's still so much fun to play!

However, I need to ask; what do you Kirby's do in neutral? I still don't really get what Kirby's neutral is based around. Also, is down-aerial into the ground > down-smash completely unreliable?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
I've been playing Kirby for so long now, and even with his flaws he's still so much fun to play!

However, I need to ask; what do you Kirby's do in neutral? I still don't really get what Kirby's neutral is based around. Also, is down-aerial into the ground > down-smash completely unreliable?

Thanks!
i wouldn't say dair to down smash is COMPLETELY unreliable it backfires on lighter characters due to the meteor effect but against bowser, DK and Ganonpork it usually works

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It's a freebie in For Glory however, so use it as much as possible as long as they're not better than you.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
To timmy, gameplay doesnt revolve around specials, sure. But there are many crucial moments that are swayed in kirbys favor due to just the threat of those moves.
The way I see it, different Special provide different rewards/detriments/risks than other Special Attacks. Unless one attack does exactly the same thing as another plus better values (e.g. faster start-up, less lag, more damage, etc.) then that would basically just make it the same move but better.

When you say Kirby is bad without Custom Moves, it says (to me) that his Custom Moves are act the same but with better values. To that I would disagree. Even Inhale vs. the Jumping Inhale is different enough that I can't just say that one is better than the other - they're different. Sure one could be better than the other in more situations or more often, but they still act differently in obvious ways.

Conclusively, however, it just boils down that I disagree that Kirby is 'bad' with Custom Fighters turned off. The two settings (On/Off) are practically different meta games to the point where I wouldn't even compare the two. I would simply acknowledge how Kirby performs with Custom Fighters ON and how he performs with Custom Fighters OFF and build on my knowledge and experience in that regard.

yo t1mmy do you have any sm4sh footage?
Keep an eye on GamePadArena, since that's my local weekly tournament stream.
I've been playing a lot of Mewtwo lately since he's all new and fun, but I think I pulled out Kirby/Meta Knight at least a few times. Here's a link to my most recent Kirby fight:
http://www.twitch.tv/gamepadarena/b/652617826
(Kirby vs. Shulk at 2:52:28)

I'll be attending a tournament this weekend that usually has a capture device going. I'll try to get something recorded. :)

Last edited:

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
I've been playing a lot of Mewtwo lately since he's all new and fun, but I think I pulled out Kirby/Meta Knight at least a few times. Here's a link to my most recent Kirby fight:

I'll be attending a tournament this weekend that usually has a capture device going. I'll try to get something recorded. :)
Really nice plays! The battle is actually at 2:54, btw.

The SD at the end was dissapointing, but it was still awesome. Monado Kirby is the combo master with 200 up-tilts

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Keep an eye on GamePadArena, since that's my local weekly tournament stream.
If only Kirby could say "this is the Monado's power"...
Was that a customs legal tournament, or no? Very good play regardless, I like seeing Final Cutter. It's like Wave Cutter but different.

Speaking of Wave Cutter, that local I went to last time? The one where I complained about Wave Cutter so much I got a thread named after me? Well it's happening again - tomorrow, in fact! This is a link to it. Smash 4 Singles should be starting around 4:30, but Smash 4 Doubles should be starting at 1:00 and I'm in that as well!

Kirbymeister

Smash Cadet
NNID
hazzahbazzah
3DS FC
3823-8971-1294
gee, it's been a long time since I posted here...
anyway, does anyone here have some favourite customs?
I tend to use 1.2.3.3, as Upper cutter gives a nice horizontal boost, and Meteor stone is a pretty useful off-stage edge guard, I've found.
also, I'll be entering a local tournament on Thursday. Wish me luck!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I pissed someone off tonight. It's in the tournament data thread, which you can read.....Right Here.

I placed 2nd and lost a kirby ditto in GF. It would've never happened if I didn't use inhale.
I also got a replay saved so I can request someone to upload it.

Last edited:

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
congrats dude!! kirby power!! and omg jtails got BODIED by angel.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Wait
Guys
Today's Kirby's 23rd birthday.
Why haven't we mentioned this.
Happy Birthday Kirby stay adorable! :kirby:

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
does anybody have advice on what to do against those wait and shield players?

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
on the 3ds version when i try pivot grabbing kirby does a forward tilt for some reason

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Good on him for taking advantage on a move nobody knows about.
Just be glad they don't know the move is unblockable. Well now that I think about it. The Luigi player didn't try to shield it. I guess he knows.
on the 3ds version when i try pivot grabbing kirby does a forward tilt for some reason
Are you using the Grab button or Shield+Attack combination? If it is the latter, you might be buffering the Attack+Tilt. I was having the same problem until I start using the Grab Button (L Button by Default) instead.

Last edited:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
When you try to pivot grab, if you hit the button too late into the tirnaround animation you will get a f tilt. Just try to do the inputs a little bit faster and that shouldnt happen anymore

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Has anyone seen any MAD COOL Kirby combos/plays in any internet-accessible videos lately? Preferably from tournament-type matches? I ask because reasons

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone posted Sakurai's cat yet?

Thanks Wolfie I thought the parenthesis spoiler thing only workerd on certain sites silly me

Last edited:

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
I was playing online against a really good Luigi today. Outside of his down throw he is not even a hard match up, but because of down throw this man should just change his name to "Guaranteed". Kirby is so light he can only afford to get grabbed twice lol, and once KIrby is over 75% either a down-throw to cyclone or a super jump punch. What can you do versus something that is Guaranteed??

Top Bottom