• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
If Mewtwo DI's down/towards Kirby the Back Air whiffs. I think. Testing DI alone is weird.

And hey, we're over 1k posts. How about that.

Last edited:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
At a quick glance, F-throw>F-air seems from 5% to 10% in training mode and creates a possible tech chase at 9 and 10 percents. .-.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If Mewtwo DI's down/towards Kirby the Back Air whiffs. I think. Testing DI alone is weird.
Really? Bthrow->Bair seems guaranteed (or at least was, prepatch) on all the characters it worked on, regardless of how they try to DI. Is Mewtwo's floatiness/large frame helping him get to the ground and shield, or get out of range with DI?

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Really? Bthrow->Bair seems guaranteed (or at least was, prepatch) on all the characters it worked on, regardless of how they try to DI. Is Mewtwo's floatiness/large frame helping him get to the ground and shield, or get out of range with DI?
When I tested it without DI, it worked just fine. With that DI I mentioned earlier, the Back Air just whiffs, he doesn't even touch the ground or anything. I tested again and got the same results, but again, when you have one hand holding the Analog Down/Toward Kirby and the other doing Back Throw -> Back Air, you might mess up. I think I'm right, though.

If that's the case, it... it is a Mewtwo only thing, right? DI'ing down/towards Kirby doesn't work with other characters, right?

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
Happy Friday star warriors! i wanted to know if you guys were still interested in the sparring matches and i have an idea for a clan

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I went ahead and had some matches against some Mewtwo's offline, online, with friends, with ladder friends and what-not...and I have to say this is a bit of an interesting matchup that, I believe, may fall in Kirby's favor, if not very slightly.

In terms of Mewtwo, Kirby must stay away from all the hard hitting moves, which is difficult in certain scenarios, as well as juggles that can lead to said moves. U-Throw is especially deadly against Kirby, so avoiding the grab is a must...which is hard since Mewtwo's pivot grab can pick up a ducking Kirby (it is ridiculous). Kirby can die really fast to Mewtwo if he isn't careful.

Kirby also has a tough time gimping Mewtwo, and can be gimped himself if he isn't too careful thanks to the Pokemon outranging him by a good length. Spacing will be tantamount with this matchup.

HOWEVER, Mewtwo's weight, frame data, and floatiness are almost completely taken advantage of with Kirby. Mewtwo's fastest move, according to their boards, is frame 6, and all of Kirby's tilts, plus his jab, are quicker (unless Kirby is far away). Not only that, but Mewtwo suffers hard against Kirby's Back Air, which can easily whack away Mewtwo, as well as matching frame 6/7. Keeping the pressure up forces Mewtwo to defend, and it can lead to some very painful experiences for the Mewtwo player. Kirby's killing power also works wonders in this matchup, and with the (possibly) buffed U-Smash and D-Smash, that spells bad news for Mewtwo.

Kirby's floatiness helps a ton as well, since Confusion gets rid of the whole Side-B -> Grab/Smash/Whatever nonsense that a lot of characters suffer.

The big thing though that I figured out, and this is hilarious in hindsight, is that this may be another matchup where Kirby's duck is very useful. Kirby can duck Jab (some of the jab combo as well, but he will get caught eventually), F-Tilt (from far), U-Tilt (from far), F-Smash (close up), U-Smash (can't hit him while ducking with it as far as I can tell), Dash Attack, and both Grab and Dash Grab. Mewtwo's only grabbing option on a ducking Kirby is a pivot grab, but that can get predictable and we can punish with B-Air. Uncharged Shadow Balls whiff a ducking Kirby so long as Kirby isn't too close to the starting point of the projectile. But what was really hilarious was that Kirby is so short, and Mewtwo is so tall, Disable may actually whiff on a standing Kirby (and yeah, it whiffs on ducking Kirby, too).

The meta is young, though, and I certainly don't have as much experience as the other people, but from my first experiences, this may be a unique matchup for both characters.

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
I'm curious: are any of Kirby's aerials good options to beat Mewtwo's Fsmash out of Confusion? Obviously, a mid air jump is the best option especially for Kirby, but I'm wondering if a Uair or something could hit him before the smash. I'd test it myself, but I don't have Mewtwo yet.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I'm curious: are any of Kirby's aerials good options to beat Mewtwo's Fsmash out of Confusion? Obviously, a mid air jump is the best option especially for Kirby, but I'm wondering if a Uair or something could hit him before the smash. I'd test it myself, but I don't have Mewtwo yet.
I need to test it myself when I return home, but based on Thinkamen's analysis on Mewtwo - Nair, Upair, and Fair should beat Mewtwo's Fsmash (which comes out at 19 frames). Bair requires you to turn around to hit and Dair is slightly too slow (18 frames).

Of course, the best/optimal move is to double jump because Kirby has multiple jumps. If I want to do a mix up I believe, Nair and Upair will be the best option. Confusion is a command grab so Mewtwo has to shield and attack. He cannot Shield+Grab. Both Nair and Upair have 10 frames landing lag. Both fast enough for Kirby to Attack and land then attack (jab, filt,dtilt) again. Now, if Mewtwo is good at powershield... you might want to use Fair or inhale instead to add a twist in the mix.

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
it'll be grab combo based but you dont have to grab at zero every time

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
i had a clan in mind called G.A.Z or Grab At Zero
That's a really awesome name. Honestly I'm up for anything that means more practice, but unfortunately my internet really really sucks

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
That's a really awesome name. Honestly I'm up for anything that means more practice, but unfortunately my internet really really sucks
thanks! i was thinking all kirby buuuut that doesn't seem like a great idea

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
@ MikeKirby MikeKirby

YOU DID IT. YOU GOD DAMN DID IT YOU BEAT VINNIE.

HELL YES, DUDE. YOU GOD DAMN DID IT. I AM PROUD OF YOU.

EDIT: I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ALREADY BEAT HIM BEFORE, BUT YOU GOD DAMN DID IT.

Last edited:

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
The Meteor Stone spikes on the campy Villager! Go Mike!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Upper Cutter just lost the game for Mike on Lylat. T_T
We're still rooting for ya Mike, you can do this!

Edit:
That was a fun exchange to watch. I personally don't think Olimar is an easy match for Kirby (speaking from pre-patch perspective right now). I lol'd when Olimar didn't make it under Lylat with his Up Special because of the stage trapping him.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
METEOR STONE FOR THE WIN!!! Nice work MikeKirby! That kid thought he can cheese his way to victory by spamming ADHD style Villager strategy. Then he goes and John about not knowing about Meteor Stone. I can understand after the first match but he has no excuse on the second match. Too bad you didn't rekt him with Giant Hammer.

Welcome back, T!mmy. Where have you been lately?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Thanks so much guys! I tried! I should have chosen set 3131 against Dabuz because when he counter picked Olimar game 2, I forgot I was stuck on latching pikmin. >_<

Against Villager I reeally wanted to use Giant Hammer but there was no X333 set, I think! After seeing him cheese his way through Snakeee and making BloodCross rage, I was glad I was able to put a stop to it.

I wanna thank all you guys for the discussion of Giant Hammer and Metoer Stone vs planking Villager. It really turned my thoughts around about using those customs when you guys talked about your experiences with it~

Against Vinnie, aw man... He made a mistake game 2 that won me the game. Otherwise, I was done for! >__<

Vs John#'s, Lucario oh my gosh... That custom Aura Sphere...

Last edited:

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
Props to Mike K for proving all the tier list bull wrong!!! GO GO GO GO MIKE!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol at tthat mental guard break on vinnie. You definitely should have lost game 2, and he gave it a away, but gd you WORKED him game 3.

That captain awesome salt was delicious too. I dont understand why he was so tight.., i mean regular rock would have either stage spiked him at 0 or killed him outright at like 85 so it didnt even matter game 1,and game 2 he knew it was gonna spike so it was his fault for gettingnhit by it at 20. I remember he used to play a really campy morridoom in marvel too. So thats what he gets for being lame

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
I play both Mewtwo and Kirby and I feel that this match up is in Mewtwo's favor. At least without customs. Kirby has no way of getting in on Mewtwo because of the range of dtilt for ground approaches and utilt for aerial approaches. Rolls are unsafe because we can't get past the range of down tilt.
If we can get in on Mewtwo we can combo him for days but getting past him while he is on the ground while in neutral is really hard.

Edit:
Also fellow Kirby players on characters where b throw to b-air fails, upper cutter makes up for it. It's nothing to get a conversion on a Villager to b-throw to bair, to b-throw to upper cutter to an easy 40%+. Just be wary of the stage positioning and platform locations just to ensure a safe landing.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I play both Mewtwo and Kirby and I feel that this match up is in Mewtwo's favor. At least without customs. Kirby has no way of getting in on Mewtwo because of the range of dtilt for ground approaches and utilt for aerial approaches. Rolls are unsafe because we can't get past the range of down tilt.
If we can get in on Mewtwo we can combo him for days but getting past him while he is on the ground while in neutral is really hard.

Edit:
Also fellow Kirby players on characters where b throw to b-air fails, upper cutter makes up for it. It's nothing to get a conversion on a Villager to b-throw to bair, to b-throw to upper cutter to an easy 40%+. Just be wary of the stage positioning and platform locations just to ensure a safe landing.
Ignore this.
Kirby loses every match up in the game without customs as far as im concerned
That's a really bold statement so I would appreciate it if you explained your opinion to me and the rest of the members of the Kirby forums.

Last edited:

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
So with regular Inhale buffed, do you guys still prefer Jumping Inhale? Before the patch, I'd pick Jumping Inhale hands down but now I'm not sure which one I prefer. Jumping Inhale is obviously superior for Windy Kong but otherwise I can't think of many MUs where I'd want one over the other.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
So with regular Inhale buffed, do you guys still prefer Jumping Inhale? Before the patch, I'd pick Jumping Inhale hands down but now I'm not sure which one I prefer. Jumping Inhale is obviously superior for Windy Kong but otherwise I can't think of many MUs where I'd want one over the other.
I would probably pick Jumping Inhale because it opens up more opportunities for Kirbyciding.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Depends on how useful the copy ability is for me honestly. If it's mario or shulk i'd pick JI in a heartbeat. If it's ganondorf or captain falcon then honestly i think i would pick ice breath since there abilities are basically worthless and yea while you lose the horizontal recovery a good player wouldn't try to chase you off the stage anyway because upper cutter let's you go under the stage and challenge any move they have to throw at you including dair.

Last edited:

Ponytail

Smash Rookie
Hmmm, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon don't have the most terrific air game actually. I wouldn't say there abilities sucking would be the reason to choose Ice Breath. I would still go with Jumping Inhale because you can get them of the stage with it, catch them again, and then spit them past the blast line or at least far enough away that it'd make them fall to their deaths or just catch them with like, any of Kirby's aerials, particularly bair and dair.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Meh, I still think Ice breath is the better choice since you get a disjointed hitbox that beats out both of their side-b moves and is a decent ledge covering option that could potentially set up for a KO and losing a command grab doesn't matter all that much since the neutral-b is useless and the most you'll get out of it is a star spit which only does like 6% anyway so....yeah. Also i'm not sure jumping inhale would be a good idea to put ganon specifically offstage since he has that 50/50 side-b suicide move that travels faster than kirby does in the air which makes edgeguarding ganon a pain since he could potentially snipe you out of the air with it.

Top Bottom