• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Jab Lock Combo w/ Character Specific Video

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
U DID IT CAM

HOLY F'N **** U DID IT,

is it b/c u didnt DI? or what???

I think we should replace Utilt with Uair b/c it has more hit stun
uhh, i dk i just lightly pressed the jump button to shorthop off his head instead of fully jump and then i fastfalled the N-air. I think ive managed to even do it better since then and hit my opponent before he hits the ground but dont take my word on that one.

Basically Gonzo just do your up air then VERY lightly push the jump for the footstool. It'll cuz you to go a shorter distance. I learned about this at about 11 oclock last night so i havn't tested it against a human but ill work on it after work at 4. Good luck.

Edit: I've also made some more observations, you can di immidietly after footstool, I've even DI'd to the right of Samus and not above her at all. I think we can do this with a little DI and maybe even buffer the N-air possibly.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
uhh, i dk i just lightly pressed the jump button to shorthop off his head instead of fully jump and then i fastfalled the N-air. I think ive managed to even do it better since then and hit my opponent before he hits the ground but dont take my word on that one.

Basically Gonzo just do your up air then VERY lightly push the jump for the footstool. It'll cuz you to go a shorter distance. I learned about this at about 11 oclock last night so i havn't tested it against a human but ill work on it after work at 4. Good luck.

Edit: I've also made some more observations, you can di immidietly after footstool, I've even DI'd to the right of Samus and not above her at all. I think we can do this with a little DI and maybe even buffer the N-air possibly.
So when you footstooled was it even quicker than a normal SH or about the same? And you can stay this close for every character?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I've managed to get me to go basically nowhere and my eyes may be deceiving me but hit part of the N-air before my opponent hits the ground. I can try to post a poor quality vid if you like.

Edit: I know for a fact i can hit the player with a fastfalled N-air before they stop bouncing off the ground if you shorthop the footstool. I recorded a video and slowed it down. I can upload it shortly. I dont know if hitting them before they stop bouncing actually stops them from being able to roll or not but you can test. Then again all of this shorthopped footstool jumps may be worthless information you already know but it's worth a try.

Edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVruR2D1GY, i think you may be able to footstool even shorter but idk.
If you look at this extremely closely (i had to rewind the vid about 5 times before I could be sure of what I saw), Cam actually footstooled Samus so low that he footstooled her a second time before n-airing! If he was to just remove the second footstool and only do that extremely tiny footstool that he did the first time, we have a real combo on our hands!

Or you could try u-airing so that you end the attack right on top of Samus, then do the tiny footstool and continue.

dobee

Smash Apprentice
Good ish yo... ima make sure to add this to my kirby game. (BTW gonzo this is the ganon player that was in your pool at ch3... you inspired me to pick up kirby lol)

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Good ish yo... ima make sure to add this to my kirby game. (BTW gonzo this is the ganon player that was in your pool at ch3... you inspired me to pick up kirby lol)
lol Good **** dude, there are some combo videos and instructional videos out there. I have two if u haven't seen them already u can find them by searching on youtube.

In other news i think i'm going to take my third controller and tweak it so Y button only does short hops so that i can test this easier. My problem is that i can't press jump quickly and lightly. Its either quickly and hard or lightly and slow lol so i'll let u know how things go. But this definetly works against samus and i think it will also against Snake and ROB cuz they both bounce very high after being footstooled

Henryhta

Smash Rookie
a breakthrough :chuckle:
I'm here to cheer you guys on!!!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
In other news i think i'm going to take my third controller and tweak it so Y button only does short hops so that i can test this easier. My problem is that i can't press jump quickly and lightly. Its either quickly and hard or lightly and slow lol so i'll let u know how things go. But this definetly works against samus and i think it will also against Snake and ROB cuz they both bounce very high after being footstooled
You do know that if you modify your controller to make techniques easier to perform, you'll be disqualified if you're found out (at tournaments), right?

Also, common misconception. It does not matter how hard you hit jump to shorthop. What matters is how quickly you let go of jump. You need to release jump before your character leaves the ground in order to perform a shorthop.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
You do know that if you modify your controller to make techniques easier to perform, you'll be disqualified if you're found out (at tournaments), right?

Also, common misconception. It does not matter how hard you hit jump to shorthop. What matters is how quickly you let go of jump. You need to release jump before your character leaves the ground in order to perform a shorthop.
Yeah i know about the modification rule, its just for testing.

So ur saying my issue is that i can't let go of Jump fast enough? what if i make Z jump and since footstool jumps cancel the first jump use X so as to decrease the time between jumps and i can also click it lightly that way. I also wont have to modify the controller for testing.

Yuna do u know if its possible to toadstool even shorter than what Cam8ooo showed b/c if not then MK wont be able to be combo'd by Nair.

Thanks for a very positive suggestion.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So ur saying my issue is that i can't let go of Jump fast enough?
Yes, you can smash your controller with a hammer and it wouldn't matter as long as you can remove the hammer from the button fast enough.

Yuna do u know if its possible to toadstool even shorter than what Cam8ooo showed b/c if not then MK wont be able to be combo'd by Nair.
I know of no such way.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
If you look at this extremely closely (i had to rewind the vid about 5 times before I could be sure of what I saw), Cam actually footstooled Samus so low that he footstooled her a second time before n-airing! If he was to just remove the second footstool and only do that extremely tiny footstool that he did the first time, we have a real combo on our hands!

Or you could try u-airing so that you end the attack right on top of Samus, then do the tiny footstool and continue.
HOLY **** your right. He footstooled him twice. I think this may become something even bigger than just setting up a kirby specific combo. Anyway hHow the hell did this happen? Either it is an animation glitch where it is solely samus that makes it appear as though she was foorstooled twice. But just in case it isn't I'm going to say I believe it may have happened by footstooling than DI towards where the opponent's head is tumbling and jumping again.

Anybody want to confirm/test? Or you can tell me I'm being dumb. either is fine :chuckle:

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
So when you footstooled was it even quicker than a normal SH or about the same? And you can stay this close for every character?

Sorry, been at work guys, dont get off till 4. Thank god for lunch breaks. :) Anyways, i would say its about the same a short hop TK and no im not sure, ive only tested on samus and MK and i couldnt do it against MK. Might only be possible on tall people??

Holly ****, i did footstool him twice, good find on that one, i didnt even see it myself. What i dont understand tho is that i didnt push the jump button three times. I did once for my jump, once for my footstool when i shorthopped it but thats it. I really need to test it some more, but keep working on it Gonzo your timing is better then mine.

Edit: back to work, keep testing fellas. We have to get these to work. Preferably test on someone who isnt samus. :)

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I see it now, u can hear the double footstool also if u listen carefully. It means that ur clicking jump a second time so fast that u do another footstool and cancel the first one. Not only that ur actually decreasing the height u jump from the footstool b/c ur doing a second footstool and not one.

Now the real question is how in the F do u click jump that fast.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
Ah! Must of missed it.

Looks good, and I can clearly see the double toadstool jump, but getting that to work every time is gonna take a lot of practice. And how is it performed so fast? Mashing Y button? O_o

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Hey cam you have done this successfully multiple times? If so, do you have any idea what it is you are doing to cause a second footstool jump?

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Well you can't smash DI unless you are in hitstun. I said b4 maybe he DI'd where the falling head was and jumped again. Remember you can jump with control stick so maybe he was holding up with control stick so that it buffered a second footstool. Eh? How about it? Plausible?

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
i have found out, however, that u can perform an aerial immediately after footstooling someone. Its not useful though b/c when u try and use Nair right after footstooling u can make it down to the ground in time to hit with Nair

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Well you can't smash DI unless you are in hitstun. I said b4 maybe he DI'd where the falling head was and jumped again. Remember you can jump with control stick so maybe he was holding up with control stick so that it buffered a second footstool. Eh? How about it? Plausible?
now that may be plausible. I'm so frustrated with this combo lol i'll try that out soon 3Xswords

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Hey cam you have done this successfully multiple times? If so, do you have any idea what it is you are doing to cause a second footstool jump?
OK back from work, now to get some testing going.

Yes, i have done this multiple times, but how i double foostool jump is even confusing to me, cuz i don't push it twice. There is some things i thought about while working though and i think i know why somethings are happening.

First off, Diminished knockback from the first jump, plus shorthopping the footstool is how i get so low but i dont understand how in the hell i am double jumping when i only press Y once.

But as the guy above me mentioned, i do have tap jump on, and it is possible its buffering my second jump but i cant remember if I even hold up while footstooling so who knows, its plausible. I'm gonna test some things right now.

Edit: diffently not holding up. So im not buffering a second jump from that. Somehow it's canceling or doing it automaticaly. It goes so fast though i can't tell if im doing it correctly again, but it does look like it.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
OK back from work, now to get some testing going.

Yes, i have done this multiple times, but how i double foostool jump is even confusing to me, cuz i don't push it twice. There is some things i thought about while working though and i think i know why somethings are happening.

First off, Diminished knockback from the first jump, plus shorthopping the footstool is how i get so low but i dont understand how in the hell i am double jumping when i only press Y once.

But as the guy above me mentioned, i do have tap jump on, and it is possible its buffering my second jump but i cant remember if I even hold up while footstooling so who knows, its plausible. I'm gonna test some things right now.
Thats probably it right there.... nooooo I hope we dont have to turn tap jump back on to do this O.o oh well lol... itll be like melee again XD

haha I actually type from work... lol trying to drag out the little work I have to do since its slow around here. Plus I feel sick =/

I will join in on the testing when I get home in a few hours =D

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Thats probably it right there.... nooooo I hope we dont have to turn tap jump back on to do this O.o oh well lol... itll be like melee again XD

haha I actually type from work... lol trying to drag out the little work I have to do since its slow around here. Plus I feel sick =/

I will join in on the testing when I get home in a few hours =D
Haha, i work at save-alot, soooo yeaaa, cant do that. But anyways i edited my post, NO tap jump.

I also just did this 3 times in a row im pretty sure. All i do is up-tilt,jump,SHFT, then the fast falled N-air.

Edit 2: From what it looks like, im doing it on command now, ill post a vid of a couple attempts and then slow them down to see whats happening. But first im going to test on someone other then samus.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I dont understand. I know that Kirby can perform an attack as soon as he footstools but when i try another jump nothing happens. I don't get it

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Ill post a vid soon. But first, how many times are you jumping? Once off the ground then once for footstool?

Also, use Samus, she may bounce higher then other characters, I can't seem to pull this off on everyone.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
thats what i mean, Samus is no problem i can combo her with only the SHFT. Its characters like snake that i can't get.
Yea, this is the problem, I dont understand why it works on her but not anyone else that i know of. We may be stuck with only Samus :(

We need to test if samus flies higher after hitting the ground from the SHFT. I believe she might.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
SHFT, what does the FT stand for, foot...stool? Also, ZSS is probably different than Samus, right? So if it does turn out to only work on Samus, it probably wouldn't work on Zero Suit?

Last, this might be a stupid question, but is the point of the tap->footstool (or double footstool..)->fastfalled Nair to go into something else, like a jab lock or a simple a combo? Because the entire combo is more than just those 2 moves, right? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the physics of brawl and the slang, I mostly just .. play. Even "DI" still slightly confuses me. I'll try to help with testing if I can, but I don't have much time, due to work and an 8-year-old brother that's no fun >_>

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
SHFT, what does the FT stand for, foot...stool? Also, ZSS is probably different than Samus, right? So if it does turn out to only work on Samus, it probably wouldn't work on Zero Suit?

Last, this might be a stupid question, but is the point of the tap->footstool (or double footstool..)->fastfalled Nair to go into something else, like a jab lock or a simple a combo? Because the entire combo is more than just those 2 moves, right? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the physics of brawl and the slang, I mostly just .. play. Even "DI" still slightly confuses me. I'll try to help with testing if I can, but I don't have much time, due to work and an 8-year-old brother that's no fun >_>
Yea i just mean short hopped footstool and too lazy to type it. Yes, this leads to a jab lock, i just didnt bother doing it in the vid.

UPDATE: pretty sure it works on Game and Watch.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
The point is find a combo that sets up the Jab Lock, suggestions? and SHFT stands for short hop footstool

Samus bounces higher than ur avg character thats y she's so easy to combo. that must mean that footstool stun times when a character hits the ground must be character specific. Also what if the position of the part of the body Kirby footstools makes a difference?

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Ok so confirmed with Utilt is Samus and GW. At least GW is a character we see often. Also Kirby is a confirmed character the Utilt works on lol how ironic

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Also what if the position of the part of the body Kirby footstools makes a difference?
It seems possible. In that video, I think he jumped off her middle, and then immediately off her head as she continued to spin. It's really weird o_o

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Yeah how ridiculous lol
haha VERY. But ROB is also confirmed. Id also like you to looks at his, its very interesting, you shorthop so low that im pretty sure part of kirby's body is still touching ROB.

Edit: wow i just pulled of a shorthop against ROB that literally left me standing on the ground.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
i thought i mentioned ROB, i tested him right after samus lol oh well better add him on to

try this out on ROB

Utilt, SHTL, Dair, Utilt, SHTL, Nair, Dtilt, Jab lock

very interesting results

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
So characters that are floaty seem to work for this? Lucario, DDD and Jigglypuff should be characters to test this on as well then?

Also do characters bounce higher from being footstooled at higher percents or is it always the same?

Top Bottom