• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Jab Lock Combo w/ Character Specific Video

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
i thought i mentioned ROB, i tested him right after samus lol oh well better add him on to

try this out on ROB

Utilt, SHTL, Dair, Utilt, SHTL, Nair, Dtilt, Jab lock

very interesting results
Wow, i wonder if they can Airdodge after the second uptilt though? I have no one to test it with

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
they may, i know ROB's jumps have laggy start up, perhaps enough for kirby to get to him. If it combos them more damage to start with if not, we always can uptilt.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Yea, nice alternative if it works though. In about 20 minutes ill have someone with experience to help me test this stuff out. I have to get my first footstool off better though sometimes they airdodge before i can FT.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
So characters that are floaty seem to work for this? Lucario, DDD and Jigglypuff should be characters to test this on as well then?

Also do characters bounce higher from being footstooled at higher percents or is it always the same?
let me check them, it should i remember Lucario being easy to do

DDD doesnt bounce enough when he hits the ground

and i dont think u bounce higher with more damage but i can test that to

brb

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
lol this is funny this technique works on the opposite kinds of characters as your original combo gonzo... how perfect XD

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
i just did it to jiggly use falling Uair same for Lucario Utilt hits them to high

also damage doesnt matter its the same everytime

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I'm updating the first post as we find characters that are bounce when they hit the ground or have a very short footstool jump

Olimar confirmed

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Gonzo do you have a list of characters that uptil FT is confirmed to be a true combo or does it work on everyone?

Also i have a video of G&W and Rob if you want me to upload it, but it would probably be better if you did a higher quality video.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
yeah on the original post i have the combo listed next to the character it works on

and about the video i'm kinda lazy right now but i guess i could post the vids up after were done finding out all the characters the Utilt and FFuair work on.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
yeah on the original post i have the combo listed next to the character it works on

and about the video i'm kinda lazy right now but i guess i could post the vids up after were done finding out all the characters the Utilt and FFuair work on.
Sounds good. Also, some people you have SHTL and SHFL, what do the TL and FL stand for?

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
lol bad news though, testing it with a human, after the uptilt if the player mashes jump he can actually footstool you almost every time. It could be my crappy timing though, he for sure couldnt get out of laying down animation though.

lockdown7

Smash Cadet
Gonzo have you tried this on lvl 9 computers outside of training mode. I was able to pull off different variations of the combos on many characters outside of training mode. I will try all of them on human players later on tonight and let you know which ones actually work.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
that just means are timing has to b perfect, i knew that timing is a huge in Brawl from a long time ago, my bro is a tru counter to my combos, he can even escape my Fthrow Uair combo if i make even the slightest error.

so after saying that No human player besides my bro knows the perfect timing to get out when the combo is done perfectly. What i mean to say is as long as we do this perfect no one can escape and if we do it almost perfect most people wont understand to jump. So basically after this we just have to work on the timing of the Falling Uair and Utilt. I think we need to c if we can use Falling Uair instead of Utilt cuz it combos much better than Utilt does although Utilt is easier

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Gonzo have you tried this on lvl 9 computers outside of training mode. I was able to pull off different variations of the combos on many characters outside of training mode. I will try all of them on human players later on tonight and let you know which ones actually work.
sounds good, thats my secondary test b4 i try a human player b/c the computers have perfect timings so its a good way to gauge if a combo is truly a combo

lockdown7

Smash Cadet
sounds good, thats my secondary test b4 i try a human player b/c the computers have perfect timings so its a good way to gauge if a combo is truly a combo
I can comfirm that it works on many lvl 9 characters. I can pull it off pretty consistently. I just tried it on a human and was able to pull it off on snake a metaknight very few times. The problem I am having is being abble to FF the nair quick enough before they can roll. With precise timing i think this combo can be legit.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I agree, using a falling Uair might even make this combo extremely viable

More testing on all the characters is required and then vids for all the characters we think we can combo and then finally video proof against humans

Rollo

Smash Rookie
Okay, just getting myself caught up on the thread. We're currently trying to figure out if we've discovered double footstooling right? And we also want a complete list of all characters that bounce high enough to ffnair. As for the double footstooling, i find that im pretty sure i do this automatically, and i think its just an animation glitch. I'll get to work experimenting, and see if we can find ways to make this combo/string more versatile. Or maybe we could add another attack to the beginning of the string/combo (dont wanna get flamed here) to prolong the falling uairs stun time and upward knockback to give us more frames for our ffnairs. I dont know if this would work, since im pretty new to competitive smash. Lastly, we could use the combo/string situationally, and move in whenever we see an opportunity for a footstool or a ffnair.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Okay, just getting myself caught up on the thread. We're currently trying to figure out if we've discovered double footstooling right? And we also want a complete list of all characters that bounce high enough to ffnair. As for the double footstooling, i find that im pretty sure i do this automatically, and i think its just an animation glitch. I'll get to work experimenting, and see if we can find ways to make this combo/string more versatile. Or maybe we could add another attack to the beginning of the string/combo (dont wanna get flamed here) to prolong the falling uairs stun time and upward knockback to give us more frames for our ffnairs. I dont know if this would work, since im pretty new to competitive smash. Lastly, we could use the combo/string situationally, and move in whenever we see an opportunity for a footstool or a ffnair.
We've concluded that its not a double footstool but a Short Hop FootStool (SHFL)
Also the best attack to initiate this Combo is a falling Uair. Meaning u fastfall and Uair and since Uair autocncancels Kirby has enough time to SHFL his opponent. Now the tricky thing we figured out is that only characters that bounce quite high after being footstooled can be combo'd by the FFNair to complete the combo to the Jab Lock. What we need to find is the maximum height a footstool can b performed so that the opponent is still stunned when they hit the ground so Kirby can have enough time FFNair the characters who dont bounce much

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
OK back from work, now to get some testing going.

Yes, i have done this multiple times, but how i double foostool jump is even confusing to me, cuz i don't push it twice. There is some things i thought about while working though and i think i know why somethings are happening.

First off, Diminished knockback from the first jump, plus shorthopping the footstool is how i get so low but i dont understand how in the hell i am double jumping when i only press Y once.

But as the guy above me mentioned, i do have tap jump on, and it is possible its buffering my second jump but i cant remember if I even hold up while footstooling so who knows, its plausible. I'm gonna test some things right now.

Edit: diffently not holding up. So im not buffering a second jump from that. Somehow it's canceling or doing it automaticaly. It goes so fast though i can't tell if im doing it correctly again, but it does look like it.
I just realized what happened to make Cam double footstool/short-hop footstool. You know how every footstool after the first one decreases in height? The game doesn't have a specific animation for short-hopping a footstool, because that would then mess up the heights for the other footstools.

However, the programmers wanted to have sh-fs in the game. They coded the game to make it treat a short-hopped footstool as an automatic double footstool. This is unlike the way a regular short hop is just short, but the same in that you have to release jump before you lift off.

Does this make sense? It explains just about every question about the double footstool.

And good work, guys. This thread is (un)officially the most metagame-advancing thread on the boards.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I just realized what happened to make Cam double footstool/short-hop footstool. You know how every footstool after the first one decreases in height? The game doesn't have a specific animation for short-hopping a footstool, because that would then mess up the heights for the other footstools.

However, the programmers wanted to have sh-fs in the game. They coded the game to make it treat a short-hopped footstool as an automatic double footstool. This is unlike the way a regular short hop is just short, but the same in that you have to release jump before you lift off.

Does this make sense? It explains just about every question about the double footstool.

And good work, guys. This thread is (un)officially the most metagame-advancing thread on the boards.
Thanks a lot, and that makes perfect sense. So in essence every short hop footstool is a double footstool. Thats incredible.

Watch out i just figured something out with Pikachu i'll post the vid in a few minutes on the pika threads, if only Kirby had an UpB as fast as Pika's : (

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Good work finishing the testing Gonzo. Now i just need to practice my timing and practice the falling up-airs.

Do you have any advice on helping with the timing of my footstooling?

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Actually I am interested in ideas to set this up.... forward facing forward tilt is extremely short ranged and rob will essentially outrange you in every way on the ground... G&W too... lol and another kirby if they wouldn't let you just walk up and utilt either...

fastfalling uair can probably work better... haven't been able to do those so couldn't test them. Still need to work on timing lol o.o

jab jab utilt?
lol

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
i agree that the best option is Falling Uair and thats what i'm gonna right in the combo and use in the videos so i think everyone should use the falling Uair just cuz its a better move for the setup

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
yup its such a better way to approach to cuz u'll find many people who aren't aggressive will down dodge which is the worst thing they can do cuz u can control Kirby so well in the air and land the Uair without to much difficulty.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
hmm well the bright side is it isn't dangerous to try to do this at least for the first stock since you will both be at low percents and you can't lose a stock for messing up. Though I dunno about holding back on purpose to get this combo off... it seems like a very bizarre mix of risk vs reward lol...

maybe this will just end up being my way to show off against noobs? lols
and a once in awhile lucky thing against good players.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
forward throw uair footstool is a good string that leads into this... i wonder if its inescapable for some characters?

oh and also it seems like the fastfall uair works better if they have 10-20% dmg

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
i think the reason is that ur not footstooling fast enough, the more damage they have the more likely the can just jump out of the combo, thats y its essential to perform this combo at the lost possible damage. If it works for u great but ideally a single Uair should be enough and i think the Fthrow first will only work on spacies, not sure though

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
mm I can do it but its weird... its like there needs to be a TINY bit of space between the two jumps... so that you don't just double jump but at the same time you have to press jump again before they hit the ground... I just can't do it consistently =/

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Gonzo, i think your just godly at timing and should spread the wealth with some of the other kirby mainers around here.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
hahahahaha i just buffer the first jump,

this is how i time the combo, I fast fall Uair, then i know that i have to hit the ground after that so as soon as Kirby starts the Uair animation i start spamming jump. Once i hear / see Kirby jump i comtinue spamming jump but lightly so that i get a SHFL then since there is a time limit in which u can jump again i dont have to worry about extra jumps and i can prepare for the FFNair.

Thats how i go about the combo. Its all about effectively using the time where u can't do a move to speed up the time it takes to jump after Kirby's Uair cancels

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Character specific Vids

In terms of character seen at tourneys these are the only ones that can be combo into Jab lock.

ROB: FFUair, SHTL, FFNair, Dtilt, JL
Vid Coming soon

GW: FFUair, SHTL, FFNair, Dtilt, JL
VId coming soon

Kirby: FFUair, SHTL, FFNair, Dtilt, JL
Vid Coming soon

Lucario: FFUair, SHTL, FFNair, Dtilt, JL
Vid Coming soon

Olimar: FFUair, SHTL, FFNair, Dtilt, JL
Vid coming soon

These characters can also be combo'd however they are seen rarely in tourney

Samus : FFUair, SHTL, FFNair, Dtilt, JL
New Vid well b up soon

JigglyPuff: FFUair, SHTL, FFNair, Dtilt, JL
Vid Coming Soon
Short-hop triple laser?

Isn't that supposed to be shfts
short-hop footstool

[sarcasm]

I officially dub this new gamebreaking AT 'Shifts':)

[/sarcasm]

though i really think it should be called shifts

Top Bottom