• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Help Desk: FAQ & Links & Introductions, ASK HERE! (Soon Resuming)

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Great idea Tomato Kirby =)

I'll help with questions and stuff too if anyone has any.....

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^Thank you, Maraphy! There is no way that I know the answer to everything, and it is good to have the community help me. :)

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Good update man. I noticed you had a little difficulty naming my weekly threads since their names change every week; if you want, just use the first half of the titles... "Kirby's Matchup Rankings" and "Improve your Moves!"

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Hello everybody. I'm MK26 and I've been around the boards for a while, and I just realized this thread was the "official" welcome to the Kirby Boards thread. I've been playing blue Kirby since 64, and I play wii-chuck combo in Brawl. I'm not nearly as good as you guys, but I'm trying. I live in the middle of nowhere (aka Canada) so good luck getting me to a tournament

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Your arrival is like a plane arriving from Antartica with several passengers.

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

MK26

Smash Master
Your arrival is like a plane arriving from Antartica with several passengers.

Welcome and enjoy your stay!
:confused:

canada really isnt that cold, if that's what you're saying. It was about 88 degrees fahrenheit today where i'm from...

Unless I'm taking your post too literally. WHAT THE HE|_ |_ ARE YOU SAYING?!?

:confused::urg::confused:

Enjoy my stay? Are you the official flight attendant?

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I usually make similes to people introducing themselves. To make said simile, I either come up with something random, or reference to your post or username. In your case, it happened to be the "I live in the middle of nowhere (aka Canada)..." so I use that and try to come up with something similar.

For example, if I use one for myself, it might be:
"You come like a shipment of fresh tomatoes to a busy supermarket."

A good rule of thumb is to just translate it as "Welcome!"

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
SOMEBODY needs to play paper mario 2

And so I strike! Like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!

So we meet again, like two burly dinosaurs with horrible indigestion.

And now it is time for the destruction to begin... Let it begin with you, as you wallow in helplessness like upside-down turtles!

MK26

Smash Master
I usually make similes to people introducing themselves. To make said simile, I either come up with something random, or reference to your post or username. In your case, it happened to be the "I live in the middle of nowhere (aka Canada)..." so I use that and try to come up with something similar.

For example, if I use one for myself, it might be:
"You come like a shipment of fresh tomatoes to a busy supermarket."

A good rule of thumb is to just translate it as "Welcome!"
K, that makes sense...in a roundabout sorta way.

SOMEBODY needs to play paper mario 2

And so I strike! Like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!

So we meet again, like two burly dinosaurs with horrible indigestion.

And now it is time for the destruction to begin... Let it begin with you, as you wallow in helplessness like upside-down turtles!
And so does that...in an even more roundabout sorta way.

And who's that jester dude from Paper Mario 3? If i remember right, he says random stuff like this too.

EDIT: the kirby boards are awesome

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
No no, it works and I can seen it, I meant too bad I didn't get any pissed off Falco mains to discuss the matchup. :p

Mushroom Pie

Smash Rookie
Hey there, quick question. My local tournament has a rather silly policy that you're only allowed to use one character. What this generally means for me is that I do very well until I bump into a Snake, and then I'm ruined. We're going to try and talk the organizer into letting us counterpick characters, but in the meantime, are there any ways to overcome Kirby's tragic Snake weakness? All I know of is the "Omnigay," and that's so situational that it's hardly ever an option.

We have two good Snake players. One plays really defensively and the other plays really offensively. If there's even a way to handle one of them a bit better, I can always pray that someone manages to knock out the other one.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^Your arrival is like a fresh-picked plum being shipped from a garden in the sky.

Welcome to Smash World Forums!

ron561

Smash Journeyman
Hey there, quick question. My local tournament has a rather silly policy that you're only allowed to use one character. What this generally means for me is that I do very well until I bump into a Snake, and then I'm ruined. We're going to try and talk the organizer into letting us counterpick characters, but in the meantime, are there any ways to overcome Kirby's tragic Snake weakness? All I know of is the "Omnigay," and that's so situational that it's hardly ever an option.

We have two good Snake players. One plays really defensively and the other plays really offensively. If there's even a way to handle one of them a bit better, I can always pray that someone manages to knock out the other one.
well for one some of you may not know me but i'm known for having a great kirby on AiB(ask around on their a bit), so i'll be more than happy to assist anyone with problems they are having or questions or anything.

Hmm playing snake....Well I never have any problems playing against a snake,and i've played against some good ones.I'd have to know how you play a bit to give you some more advice though.I play aggressive...i'll just offer a few basics..

Well what you wanna watch out for is the gay slide they usually do that goes into fsmash,usually im ready to jump or roll,seeing as i know the range of the slide.

Other than that just watch out for those tilts as they can kil you pretty easy,especially utilt at a good amount of damage.

Don't give em enough space to spam projectiles and stuff and you should be good.

How do you play?

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Actually, this guide is on hiatus until my other thread project is launched. I have updated the guide on my computer; it just has not translated to here yet.

As for the tier of Kirby, that has been updated on my computer as well.

faytmaker

Smash Rookie
You might wanna look into adding a list of good and bad counterpick stages for Kirby. It would be good to know 0=)

I don't know much, but I seem to do well on Lylat Cruise, Jungle Japes, and Yoshi's Island

Don't know if thats really even right for Kirby or if that even helps at all. Just thought i'd express my thoughts.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
You might wanna look into adding a list of good and bad counterpick stages for Kirby. It would be good to know 0=)

I don't know much, but I seem to do well on Lylat Cruise, Jungle Japes, and Yoshi's Island

Don't know if thats really even right for Kirby or if that even helps at all. Just thought i'd express my thoughts.
I could do "rule of thumb," because some characters are easier on certain stages than others. Lylat Cruise is good against auto-canceling characters (Gannondorf), Jungle Japes is a staple Kirby stage, and I am not sure what to make of Yoshi's Island.

Off the top of my head...

Stage Favorites:
Jungle Japes
Battlefield
Delfino Island (?)
Luigi's Mansion (?)
Port Aero Dive (sp?) (?)

Stage Bans:
Green Greens
Final Destination (?)

(?) I think they belong in said category...

Elaboration and suggestions would be nice...although I guess a thread is there to do that already.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Rainbow cruise is the first thing every kirby player should think of first when they are thinking counterpicking. And green greens is a good ban stage if u dont mind the neutrals

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Rainbow cruise is the first thing every kirby player should think of first when they are thinking counterpicking. And green greens is a good ban stage if u dont mind the neutrals
I forgot about Rainbow Cruise completely. :( I forgot one of my favorite stages x_x! Let me make a quick list between the two...

*major points

Pros:
Jungle Japes:
*High Ceiling (generally large stage)
*Swallowcide/Kirbycide friendly
*Camping somewhat possible
Anti-wall teching
Anti-grappling
Deadly Death Manuever enhancing (camp right stage set-up)?

Rainbow Cruise:
*Moving stage=anti-camping
*More aerial time
Wall for Vulcan Jab

Cons:
Jungle Japes:
*Opponents camping

Rainbow Cruise:
*Turtling about half the stage rotation

So as a rule of thumb, counter-pick tier list for Kirby this order, match-up pending?
1. Jungle Japes/Rainbow Cruise
2. Battlefield/Delfino Island/Port Aero Dive
3. Luigi's Mansion

At least, that is my counter-pick tier list.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Delfino has low ceilings when it lands. Halberd is a better version of delfino for kirby.
Rainbow Cruise is way better than jungle japes. I dislike jungle japes since it disables your ability to gimp characters and certain characters like donkey kong absolutely **** on that stage. Rainbow Cruise however, nobody does better than kirby on it. At best some characters are even.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Delfino has low ceilings when it lands. Halberd is a better version of delfino for kirby.
OK, I will note that.

Rainbow Cruise is way better than jungle japes. I dislike jungle japes since it disables your ability to gimp characters and certain characters like donkey kong absolutely **** on that stage. Rainbow Cruise however, nobody does better than kirby on it. At best some characters are even.

Actually, with all the platforms on Rainbow Cruise, it seems much harder to get an easy KO. I rather fight my opponent getting out of the water (accomplished with something like a non-tripped d-tilt or f-tilt).

Kirbycide/Swallowcide is enhanced on Jungle Japes. A set-up is easier and Kirby can camp on the side. Even deadly death manuever is boosted.

Granted, some characters can camp or otherwise destroy Kirby on that stage (such as Marth...O_O...), but that is match-up specific.

For everyone else, I prefer the light tap into the water on Jungle Japes to set up an edge-guard situation.

As with Rainbow Cruise:

Great stage for Kirby: no denying that. That would be my second counter-pick choice. I love aerial fighting, too.

It has more turtling than I would like, and becomes a hassle when certain characters (like Snake) stay below you. What about the moving stage part? It is not hard in moving to another platform and get KOed.

The stage is anti-camping, and in that respect, is better than Jungle Japes. I concede that.

Current stage counter-pick rule of thumb for 1v1:
1. Rainbow Cruise
2. Jungle Japes (<--well, for me, that is number 1. Everyone else would not bother/notice.)

(I personally would reverse the top 2 order, although I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.)

For those that go longer than 3 out of 5 or are fighting a specific match-up:
1. Battlefield
2. Lylat Cruise
3. Battleship Halberd

*I am having technical problems with my computer (probably for a long time; there are significant changes happening), so I could be a bit late in posting in the future.*

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
hey guys i've been maining Kirby for about... a month or two. Blue Kirby... if anyone was wondering.

anywho on the stage Discussion, i'm not much for movement in stages so though Delfino is ultimate Kirby stage i don't counterpick it often... I've recently been looking into getting better with it though because i do see how it can greatly advantage a Kirby player.

My personal favorite stage is Battlefield. I like how the platforms break up some combos, i like how you can use the top Platform to U throw KO at high %. any thoughts?

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
No.... Delfino is not that amazing of a kirby stage. Halberd is better baring the upthrow kill capabilities of delfino. But there are some characters that **** you more than you **** them on Delfino. Not true of halberd making it more solid.

But still Rainbow Cruise is in its own god tier because it almost always gives you an advantage again pretty much every character.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
certain parts of Delfino advantage Kirby a lot though i believe. but i cant lie i play 80% of my matches on FD for friendlies so i cant argue with much knowledge about counter stages. so i'm here to learn the ways :)

Sino

Smash Journeyman
Very nice :D
I have a few questions about kirby:
-Is it true that sometimes kirby can't do his Fthrow>Uair>Fthrow ...-combo on some characters?
-What are the pros and things about his low, mid and high Fsmash/Ftilt?
- How can you survive longer with kirby with DI'ing? Which moves must be used in the air preventing you from being KO'ed?

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Very nice :D
I have a few questions about kirby:
-Is it true that sometimes kirby can't do his Fthrow>Uair>Fthrow ...-combo on some characters?
-What are the pros and things about his low, mid and high Fsmash/Ftilt?
- How can you survive longer with kirby with DI'ing? Which moves must be used in the air preventing you from being KO'ed?
1. Yes but you can connect an Fthrow>Uair on pretty much any character. For some reason though sometimes when I play shiek players if they DI down left sometimes they get in a position where my Uair misses? So to be safe I would just downthrow and utilts on shieks.

2. Well all that really does is change the location of the hitbox. Generally you wouldn't want to hit the upangled ones since that sends them at an angle that is easy to survive.

3. Just hold the direction you need to DI in as you are being hit (best to start holding a direction when you see an attack coming for you) You want to DI up for horizontal attacks and left/right for vertical attacks. Also you want to DI yourself so you go towards the corner sometimes rather than going too far up since the corner has the farthest death zone.

You can jump again sooner by doing a bair. Also hammer sorta stops kirbys momentum a bit. DownB is a good way to fall back towards the stage but make sure you cancel out in a way that you are safe from attack (generally don't fall all the way back into the ground.)

Sino

Smash Journeyman
Thx for the answers.

About that DI:
So if i'm hit horizontal I must use C-stickDI(to the stage and corner) while in hitstun, then do DI(to the stage and corner), then I must use Bair or SideSpecial (I thinking Uair is better, but i don't know) then finally i use jump

And If im hit vertically I must use C-stickDI(to the stage and corner) while in hitstun, then do DI(to the corner and stage), then i must use Dair or Dspecial.

Is this right??

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Yeah pretty much but the main thing you want to think of is pushing the control stick in a perpendicular angle to where you will be sent either just before you are hit or when you are being hit.

Top Bottom