• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Bing

Smash Master
Kirby mains want the matchup to be in their favor as well, though.

The closest you're going to get to a fair idea is from someone that plays both and has good experience from each side of the matchup, but I don't know anyone who would fit that category.

Personally, I think it's a lot tougher than Ganons give it credit for. I feel like it's slightly in Ganon's favor, but not a huge amount, which is why I went with 60. The fact that Kirby can get that close against any character is good.

I haven't tried an aerial sideB, though. If it's as good as he says, then it could make the matchup even, or 55 Ganon.

Good thing Im a Fox main then :D

Massive

Smash Champion
Funnily enough, the Jiggs matchup came up in discussion. They think it's in Ganon's favor if the Jiggs player can't DI well, but otherwise it's in Puff's favor.
Jigglypuff's DI isn't the only issue, rests are also incredibly risky vs Gannondorf because he can so easily trade the stock if he DIs the rest correctly.

It's definitely in Jiggs' favor overall, but I hate playing it because of how cautious and campy you have to be. Most matches I play are against friends, and I don't really want to piss them off with repeated spacing poke battles.

That being said, the same Gannondorf that will nearly beat my Jiggs will get 2-3 stocked by my Kirby.
This is because Kirby can go full aggro vs Gannondorf with no ill effect, and full aggro is the optimal (only functional) play-style for Kirby.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I COME WITH RELEVANT INFORMATION

But no seriously, Ganon def has the advantage against Kirby. Ganon is a poke character just like Kirby, so it's literally just a battle of who has better range and moves and that's ganon bar none. That said Kirby isnt helpless in the match up but it's in Ganon's favor.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
That's a pretty good tactic. It's easier to miss the timing for Ganon's Dair and any of his other L-cancels.. Fortunately, I'm good at L-cancelling Dair on a shield. I really only screw it up when I hit them, so at least I'm not as vulnerable then.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Trading Dair is stupid. It makes more sense to try and Crouch->Shield it to **** up their L-Cancel timing and punish the massive lag on it.
Is Kirby one of the characters that can crouch --> PS effectively? You could just PS --> up tilt if that was the case... nvm forgot about the massive pushback from moves when you PS lolz

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
So how does PS work in Melee? You have no shieldstun while the opponent still suffers hitlag but shield knockback is increased?

Damn this Kirby talk is too good.
Well it's a social. What do you expect? :p

Well as a Ganon main you would think that its in his favour.

I mean who want to admit they lose to the worst Character in the game?
SECOND worst char... :-|

I'm pretty sure it's in Ganon's favor.

From the sides fair and bair don't lose to anything and everywhere else uair doesn't lose to anything. The only thing to do is get Ganon in his shield but honestly, Kirby doesn't have the range to get him in his shield. That's all the matchup boils down to.
You forget that Kirby has a good ground poking game. WD>dtilt, ftilt, and utilt do wonders in this MU and all MUs.

I didn't want to trade with it, I was hoping utilt could beat it. However it seems that is not the case... Kirby's utilt can beat Falcons Dair though right?

:phone:
Wouldn't it be the same case against Falcon as with Ganon? Also, if you do it preemptively, you could probably stuff Ganon's dair before it came out.

Nashun

Smash Ace
You forget that Kirby has a good ground poking game. WD>dtilt, ftilt, and utilt do wonders in this MU and all MUs.
You forget that in this game there is no such thing as a "ground poking game." It's just a poking game. And like Pink Reaper said, Ganon's gonna beat Kirby in the poking game because of better range and priority. Ftilt and utilt are basically useless in this matchup unless ganon's already in hitstun. Dtilt is really Kirby's only good move in this matchup and it's not good enough to put it in his favor.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Kirby's Dream land was released on April 27th 1992.

The Android saga (ending in the revealing of Cell) volume was released on March 10, 1992 in Japan. The actual Cell saga (perfect cell and the tournament) was released on August 4, 1992. Keep in mind that manga volume releases are delayed 6 months, so the cell Saga was actually well underway in 1991 and completed early in 1992. The Buu stuff didn't really occur until late 1992 to early 1993, so Kirby definitely predates that.

HOWEVER, Kirby did not actually take people's powers, nor was he pink until Kirby's Adventure- which was released on the NES on March 23, 1993, which almost lines up perfectly with the Buu arc's occurrence.

tl;dr: Kirby does predate Buu, but they started being pink and takin' dudes powers at around the same time.
Did u take into account how long it takes to make a video game? B/c my guess is even back then it took more then half a year so my guess is kirby's creation does predate cell, and the idea to absorb powers predates buu

Massive

Smash Champion
Ftilt and utilt are basically useless in this matchup unless ganon's already in hitstun. Dtilt is really Kirby's only good move in this matchup and it's not good enough to put it in his favor.
There's really nothing I can type on smashboards that will change your mind. I'll have to moneymatch kage or something and decide this for serious.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'd like it too. I can go onto my laptop and use debug mode whenever I want, but having a thread would be a lot nicer.

Alright, glad there is interest in it. I'll try throwing in any other misc. stuff I can thrown in. Like pointing out which hitbox does what if it changes.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Lol @ someone saying that people wouldn't care. I've been playing this character for years, and he's not my secondary or low tier... :p So I care!

Top Bottom