• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Massive

Smash Champion
Kirby's Dream land was released on April 27th 1992.

The Android saga (ending in the revealing of Cell) volume was released on March 10, 1992 in Japan. The actual Cell saga (perfect cell and the tournament) was released on August 4, 1992. Keep in mind that manga volume releases are delayed 6 months, so the cell Saga was actually well underway in 1991 and completed early in 1992. The Buu stuff didn't really occur until late 1992 to early 1993, so Kirby definitely predates that.

HOWEVER, Kirby did not actually take people's powers, nor was he pink until Kirby's Adventure- which was released on the NES on March 23, 1993, which almost lines up perfectly with the Buu arc's occurrence.

tl;dr: Kirby does predate Buu, but they started being pink and takin' dudes powers at around the same time.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Actually, Kirby was Pink in japan. The reason he's white in the American box art is because of confusion caused by Sakurai and Miyamoto wanting kirby to be different colors(Pink and Yellow respectively) and NOA, not being sure of which one to make him, just made him white to match his in game sprite. In Japan however Kirby's Dreamland(Hoshi no Kaabii in japan) released with a pink Kirby on the front.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Getting daired after that "combo" is not different then just normally getting daired at the same percent.
From my experience it is. No idea why though because, as you say, it shouldn't be.

I still don't know what game you are playing. Since when is punishing landings a noobish strategy. I don't think you've played other people in this game at all...
Letting them get back on stage before bothering to follow up isn't dumb?

At the very least, try to be polite about your opinions and be nice when you say what you think of others' opinions, Ryuu. :-|
Sorry. :(.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Letting them get back on stage before bothering to follow up isn't dumb?
Not if you force them to use their upB in the process. As I'm sure you know, most chars have landing lag on their upB that is pretty easy to punish. Just WL back on and do whatever you like (quickly), or you can ledgehop over them and bair them back off or uair them or something. All the chars who don't have enough landing lag to punish effectively have very simple trajectories on their upB that is easily dealt with; Pichu is the only exception.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
UpB only really seems to be a worthwhile option when you're fighting AI and can aim it so the sword barely connects before you ledgegrab or when you need to recover from a swallowcide.

It can work as a kinda crappy edgeguard or to mess with projectile spammers who don't know how to adapt though I guess.

Massive

Smash Champion
Up-B works great as a last ditch recovery on Yoshi's, since you can land on the upper platform instead of the stage. If they're taking the ledge the platform will be safe, and if they drop off the ledge to go to the platform, you take the ledge or just land on the stage.

That's pretty much the only time I could condone doing it besides a last-ditch recovery effort which is way out of air-dodge range.

Bing

Smash Master
DBZ involves People fighting each other or other odd creations in hand to hand combat while using ki waves, powering up to higher strengths. In an intense fashion.

Yes Kirby absorbs powers like Super Buu, but its still very different.

Mind you, to anyone who does believe that they are similar... all the power to ya :p

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
No No Dragon Ball Kai involves people fighting each other or other odd creations in hand to hand combat while using Ki waves and powering up to higher strengths in an intense fashion.

DBZ involved flashing back to 3 minutes ago for 4 months straight and talking about the fighting that may actually eventually happen(it never did)

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I don't know about you, but I always struggle to remember what happened 3 minutes ago, so I flashback to it a lot.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I can do Hard mode and i can capture a lot of IN spells in Lunatic and a few last words. But even still there's a lot of random stuff that im just horrible at.

What's hilarious is like, some spells i cant capture on Normal, only hard or lunatic. I Cant capture Stardust Reverie but I can capture Event Horizon. Same @ Earth Ray Light/Shoot the Moon. It's just easier for me on Hard/Lunatic.

Also Im really bad at EotSD >_>

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Dang it! I actually like the fighters a lot more. Shooters are cool, too, though. The funny thing for me is that as the fighters get newer, I end up liking them less. My favorite was EFZ and I really dislike the newest Touhou fighter with it's braindead combos and ridiculous weather system.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I agree, the weather system is kinda out of place there. I just fight and ignore it, but it really is a handicap I'm giving myself that I wish I didn't have to worry about.

EotSD is pretty hard, I'm not gonna lie. If you can beat it then you should be proud of yourself lol. It's up there in difficulty right alongside SA.

Also, I wish that there were more games like PoFV. Split-screen multiplayer Touhou shooter is so much fun, but the only other person I know irl who plays it is worse than me. So it feels like you're playing Tetris Attack against your little brother. He gets bored and just goes back to playing LoL, leaving me craving for more.

Massive

Smash Champion
Damn this Kirby talk is too good.
I mean, what else do we have to talk about?

The only thing I can think of that may be controversial we can discuss is that I am almost sure that Kirby vs Gannondorf is 60-40 in Kirby's favor.

What can we do with this knowledge? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Bing

Smash Master
I mean, what else do we have to talk about?

The only thing I can think of that may be controversial we can discuss is that I am almost sure that Kirby vs Gannondorf is 60-40 in Kirby's favor.

What can we do with this knowledge? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
I can not be like AesirGod and say that I agree. Comboing 4 forward smashes together is amazing.

Massive

Smash Champion
I'm a big fan of the fact that you can aerial hammer him ALL DAY and he cannot punish it at all. You can stuff his aerials with it and it will lead to a free utilt about 50% of the time.

Also ducking under wizard kick, being nearly impossible to grab, and dtilt > ledgegrab KOs at 30% are icing on the cake.

Jonas

Smash Champion
WE FINALLY HAVE A COUNTER! Ganon's tournament reign is coming to an end!

PS. I believe Hack considers Kirby-Falcon to be slightly in Kirby's favor as well.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
We were talking about the matchup on the Ganon boards the other day. Personally, I think it's 60 in Ganon's favor. Some thought it was closer to 70, and some thought it was 100 if you know how the matchup works.

Nashun

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure it's in Ganon's favor.

From the sides fair and bair don't lose to anything and everywhere else uair doesn't lose to anything. The only thing to do is get Ganon in his shield but honestly, Kirby doesn't have the range to get him in his shield. That's all the matchup boils down to.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Well as a Ganon main you would think that its in his favour.

I mean who want to admit they lose to the worst Character in the game?
Kirby mains want the matchup to be in their favor as well, though.

The closest you're going to get to a fair idea is from someone that plays both and has good experience from each side of the matchup, but I don't know anyone who would fit that category.

Personally, I think it's a lot tougher than Ganons give it credit for. I feel like it's slightly in Ganon's favor, but not a huge amount, which is why I went with 60. The fact that Kirby can get that close against any character is good.

I haven't tried an aerial sideB, though. If it's as good as he says, then it could make the matchup even, or 55 Ganon.

Massive

Smash Champion
I haven't tried an aerial sideB, though. If it's as good as he says, then it could make the matchup even, or 55 Ganon.
I feel like it's the deciding factor in me giving the nod to kirby.

It works SO WELL at stuffing aerials and lasts long enough that it can't be punished without a serious screw-up from the Kirby.

There is literally no downside to doing it on a shielding gannon and landing behind him either. It shield pokes his feet more often than not and you can spam utilt right afterwards.

I already use this as my counterpick vs gannondorfs instead of Jiggs now. Very few 'dorf players know how to handle a Kirby, coupled with the various tricks kirby has access too, it just feels right.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I feel like the Kirby-Ganon matchup is slightly better than the Jiggs-Ganon matchup, from a Ganon perspective.

Funnily enough, the Jiggs matchup came up in discussion. They think it's in Ganon's favor if the Jiggs player can't DI well, but otherwise it's in Puff's favor.

Top Bottom