• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Nashun

Smash Ace
Uair beats stuff like jumps and ledgejumps. It's good for approaching/techchasing up platforums and certain stuff can combo sometimes.

I would never approach with it, even though I'm pretty sure it has frame advantage on block.

It doesn't last long enough for Kirby's incredibly slow air movement speed to reliably beat anything. I wouldn't call it amazing because its uses are pretty limited and in certain matchups on certain stages I wouldn't be surprised if I don't use it at all.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
YS64 is hella good for kirby. Just camp that far right cloud. Most characters who can even actually get out there cant beat you back to other cloud and you can just camp them out on it. Win by time out. With Kirby. ****in baller.

/has played on YS64 way too much.

Massive

Smash Champion
It works pretty well actually.

Grab > Hammer is a pretty decent KO setup (if you are good at spacing) and falco's power is by far the best one you can take.

Kirby is also amazing at setting up ledgeguards (dtilt, woooo) and stopping recoveries with bair.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
YS64 is hella good for kirby. Just camp that far right cloud. Most characters who can even actually get out there cant beat you back to other cloud and you can just camp them out on it. Win by time out. With Kirby. ****in baller.

/has played on YS64 way too much.
I thought we were talking about vs Fox specifically. Lasers would ruin this strategy, wouldn't they?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I was so surprised that lasers didn't reach that I tested it myself and they seemed to reach when I tried it. Maybe I'm missing something here? Are you dropping through and then wavelanding into crouch or something and the lasers miss? Or...?

Triple R

Smash Lord
Got 17th out of 27 at IMDB in Madison, WI yesterday.

Hmm... Kinda disappointed but all my sets were close, so can't complain. Lost to Oro? and Fruitloop. Beat MinnesotaMoe.

In doubles Oro? and I beat Kels and Orly in pools, but then they beat us later in bracket :(

Brinstar is still Kirby's best legal CP :p

:Tally Hoes

Banned via Administration
Well kirby can't really zone well or control space and is easily movement camped to death the lava fixes that flaw and d throw on the flesh things near the middle. Study up on kirby some man

:phone:

Massive

Smash Champion
Brinstar isn't legal on the tentative 2012 ruleset, although it will probably still be around in midwest tournaments for a while (we still allow mute city on some of ours).

I'm willing to argue that Yoshi Story is Kirby's best stage (for what it's worth).
Kirby will die at low %s on pretty much every stage and yoshi's is no different, but it does help his recovery substantially to have a platform above the ledge.

That overhanging platform means they cannot ledgehog final cutter, and randall means that kirby can't be gimped easily at all.

Additionally, the tilted ledges mean that dtilts off the side hit a low angle and ruin a number of recovery strategies, and since the blast floor is so low, dair is remarkably effective as a KO tool when in midair.

Finally, the platforms are almost the perfect height for uair and slide-off bairs.
Even the top platform can be easily reached with two quick jumps.

There's other little stuff too, recovering as a rock on randall is pretty close to unpublishable, especially if they're trying to camp him. Additionally, if you suck someone up while on randall they will be spit straight down whenever they struggle out. You can also use shyguys to expand the uair and bair hitboxes to much larger than they appear (this is great, actually).

There are so many little things about that stage (that's even a neutral!) that give kirby a decent advantage compared to other stages.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Additionally, the tilted ledges mean that dtilts off the side hit a low angle and ruin a number of recovery strategies, and since the blast floor is so low, dair is remarkably effective as a KO tool when in midair.
I'm sure you meant "since the blast floor is so high [relative to the stage]" but I see what you mean. Wow, in this kinda light, YS seems to make Kirby's life a whole bunch easier. With this kind of selection, he won't be 'walled' by stage bans (but still by strikes). :p

Massive

Smash Champion
I'm sure you meant "since the blast floor is so high [relative to the stage]" but I see what you mean. Wow, in this kinda light, YS seems to make Kirby's life a whole bunch easier. With this kind of selection, he won't be 'walled' by stage bans (but still by strikes). :p
Yeah, it made sense in my head.

As long as you ban Final destination, Kirby has about the same chances on every other stage. Well, maybe not dreamland.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'd take DL64 or FoD over Neo Yoshi's Story any day and FD is preferable to some stages (battlefield springs to mind but that's a clear Pikachu counter) but I guess I don't play a conventional Kirby so my input is mostly irrelevant.

Mute City is great IMO.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I'd take DL64 or FoD over Neo Yoshi's Story any day and FD is preferable to some stages (battlefield springs to mind but that's a clear Pikachu counter) but I guess I don't play a conventional Kirby so my input is mostly irrelevant.

Mute City is great IMO.
By Neo YS, I'm guessing u mean Brawl? O_o Also, how exactly is BF a Pika counter?

'V'

Smash Lord
I recently had a Falco camp my Kirby for 7 minutes on DL. I almost won, too. =P

I feel like Kirby's best stages are YS and FoD. Easier for him to do just about everything.

Bing

Smash Master
Kirby doesnt live long correct? Yoshi's is the smallest stage, therefore, Kirby dies really early on Yoshi's. FoD however is much larger, therefore giving us a better chance to survive longer. Plus I also main Marth and FoD is my favourite stage for him :p

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well, it's kinda not good to go on the favorite stage of the opposing char, especially if they're much better in the MU... :/ Anyway, Kirby doesn't really live long on ANY stage, and his biggest problems are probably w/ killing rather than surviving. The increase in killing ability relative to the decrease in survivability on Yoshi's is probably great enough to make the stage a quite worthwhile CP. FoD works too and, imo, those platforms actually screw him over.

Bing

Smash Master
Well, I like the platforms because yes it does mess some people up, But I dont like Yoshi's because of the ceilings, I dont generally have issues getting kills with Kirby because once there off the stage I just **** them with Fairs and Bairs anyways.

I dunno, just a comform thing... Yoshi's is my favourite stage for almost every other character though...

Top Bottom