• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Triple R

Smash Lord
So like a month ago was the first time ever I did the fire grab off a platform where I hit them with the dash attack and then got them with the grab right after in a REAL MATCH. Showing off that Kirby tech skill in Friendlies! :awesome:

Triple R

Smash Lord
Now do it onto Randall.
I love having that name. It makes these comments so fun to read.

So I need ideas of what to practice as Kirby. Any suggestions? Is there any uses for platformed cancelled hammer? Is it worth the trouble to get down with it's extremely strict timing/angle?

BunBun

Smash Master
Too situational, IMO, but I guess it's just one more tool.

I think movement is the #1 thing.
2nd to that is knowing that you don't slide off the left side of KJ64 =(

Pi

Smash Hero
prioritize the moves you want to land
then cycle through them subconsciously as situations arise
for example
your opponent wiffs a nair and is going to be forced to land
do you have time to :
utilt > grab? > fsmash/dsmash > jab grab > hammer?

idk his priority moves but do like that

you wanna try to at least take advantage of every opening given to you, safely
experience will allow you to milk the openings for all their worth

a lot of times i'll only feel safe landing a dash attack because i'm fox trotting/dash dancing
so i'll take it, instead of trying something more risky but more profitable

Triple R

Smash Lord
I would have to agree. Dash attack should almost never be used. Even if you hit them at decent percents they could crouch cancel and then just usmash you way before you're even done with the attack, like fox lol. Our jiggz crouch cancel to rest, that's fun too!

kittehg0d

Smash Rookie
I was suprised when kirby was named the 2nd worst character in melee. i thought he was pretty good. :scared:

Massive

Smash Champion
Uair is really hard to aim.
It takes some getting used to, the hitbox isn't very big at all.

Try doing it while they're grounded and getting up on a platform above you or out of an utilt, it works great in both situations.
Additionally, you can use it as an upper corner shield poke on characters vulnerable to such things (gannondorf, Bowser, DK, G&W, Falcon).

Edit for anecdote:
I recently got to play M2K a bit in friendlies when he was in town a few weeks back. I decided to pull kirby on his fox after a few jiggs/falco/shiek/G&W matches.
To my surprise I was only 2 stocked, pretty similarly to most good foxes I play with kirby (IT IS SO HARD TO DO ANY BETTER, SO HARD).

The real gem was his response to getting utilt > uair'd: "OH MY GOD! IT'S SO F***ING STRONG!"

Top Bottom