• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Everything -- Kirby Social Thread

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone else able to feel the anger emanating from your opponent when you kirbycide or inhale gimp them?

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Yep, but it pales in comparison to the rage of unexpectedly dying to a tipped Hammer at 60%.

Last edited:

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Inhale gimps are amazing because they make good people feel like they're bad at the game. A gimp typically leads to frustration->recklessness->more kirby gimps. They then swap characters to one with a better recovery, but then they don't know anything about the matchup and get wrecked even harder by kirby combos on fast fallers or chain grabs on floaties.

But realistically, if you lose to gimpy tactics you're playing the wrong way or with a bad character. There's a developmental spot in every good player's game where they lose to worse players because of gimpy playstyles. If you keep grinding the game out, you get past that point and you don't lose to low tiers - it takes considerable skill to beat you. Like if someone is camping a ledge - you don't approach them unless you have a better ledge game. If you have projectiles and they don't, you force them to approach since you don't have to. If they attack your shield, perfect your oos game. And then sometimes you can't win like melee bowser vs shiek. You could play perfect bowser and still lose, you're not necessarily a worse player, it's just that the matchup is 100-0 in shiek's favour. Kirby gimps happen because lots of players approach improperly at ledge. In melee, I play fox, the punishes are more technical but they punish spammy players who don't think when they do things. Egs: peach spams downsmash -> drill shine into waveshines, falco constantly shdl's from ledge -> shine oos = dead falco, aerial pressure on your shield -> up-smash oos. If you do things that are unsafe in smash, a good player will punish you for it. Kirby inhale gimps are just that much funnier because you punish with something that's non-technical.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
There is a little more to kirby's inhale gimp game besides ledgehop inhales.

Last edited:

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Yep, forward-throw inhale, jab reset inhale, inhale mash out inhale, dash attack inhale. Lots of ways to trap people.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Usually I can get people with Inhale simply by reading them. You don't have to really set up for it like you do with U-Air or Smashes.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I killed a fox at 0% on dreamland by dashing, jumping and inhaling him through a platform and the jump went far enough to go off the edge without having to land. I then fell far enough away from edge, spit him out, and flew back to the edge while he fell to his death.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Hey all it's been a long time since i posted anything on here so here is a little something from this past tourney i went to. I loved this tourney. I played lucas throughout most of the tourney and I only got one of my kirby matches on stream. Sooo.....if you can, critique and enjoy folks. Thanks all!
Smash of Ages *******,GA Tourney Match:

http://www.twitch.tv/alabamasmashleague/b/558784853

- 1:41:56 Veishi (Kirby) vs TinkleFairy6 (Captain Falcon)

NOTE: Excuse all the restarts his controller was messing up and then someone accidentally pulled his controller out the port. But we did restart and he was back to normal.

I made it pretty darn far compared to my other tourneys buuuuuut i got knocked out by a Game&watch and a ZSS which unfortunately weren't featured on stream.
I'd love any comments and constructive criticism.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Hey all it's been a long time since i posted anything on here so here is a little something from this past tourney i went to. I loved this tourney. I played lucas throughout most of the tourney and I only got one of my kirby matches on stream. Sooo.....if you can, critique and enjoy folks. Thanks all!
Smash of Ages *******,GA Tourney Match:

http://www.twitch.tv/alabamasmashleague/b/558784853

- 1:41:56 Veishi (Kirby) vs TinkleFairy6 (Captain Falcon)
NOTE: Excuse all the restarts his controller was messing up and then someone accidentally pulled his controller out the port. But we did restart and he was back to normal.

I made it pretty darn far compared to my other tourneys buuuuuut i got knocked out by a Game&watch and a ZSS which unfortunately weren't featured on stream.
I'd love any comments and constructive criticism.
- Try not to use stone so much. You're using it in awkward situations in which you would just grab or do a swallow mixup.

- Vs. Falcon you can just Crouch through/under most of his stuff.

- For grabs you should mainly Down Throw and tech chase (Falcon especially because his tech roll isn't great). If you're by a ledge always throw them off and edgeguard. For Down Throw tech chasing often times people will preemptively DI the direction they're going to techroll so you can call them out and follow them a lot of times using that (of course some don't). For example if you down throw and then Falcon pops up behind you he'll most likely tech roll to get more away from you. It depends on the player a lot too.

- If you get a swallow by the edge you don't have to jump off with the other player if they're mashing really hard (and they have a pretty bad recovery like Falcon) you can spit them away and then punish them harder because often times people will blow their Up-B's early in fear of being edgeguarded.

SSS

Smash Ace
Kirby's jump is in the air in 4 frames holy **** what.

Also guys dsmash? Might be my least used move.

Also I actually don't want upthrow to kill, because that takes away the fun of dthrow>upsmash.

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
You should be using d-throw-> upwards angled f-smash instead of up-smash as your kill move. It comes out faster, is more powerful, and covers the same option. To do it, f-smash with the c-stick but angle the analog stick upwards at 45 degrees above the horizontal.

SSS

Smash Ace
You should be using d-throw-> upwards angled f-smash instead of up-smash as your kill move. It comes out faster, is more powerful, and covers the same option. To do it, f-smash with the c-stick but angle the analog stick upwards at 45 degrees above the horizontal.
some characters you can't hit with fsmash, and if the stage has a low ceiling, upsmash is gonna be better. also there are some characters (like Samus) who are floaty but heavy, so you'll be killing them with upsmash a lot sooner.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Does anyone know who is in charge of making stickies in this thread? Is it just any mod?

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Just want to throw it out there but kirby's Nair beats most of sonic's moves and utilt is good for stopping most characters approaches kind of like fox's.

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any new Kirby tech that is useful to learn? I'm used to playing melee fox where there is always more tech. It's not bad that tech is easier in pm, it's more that I already have great mind-games and I'm used to adding tech to jump up a skill level.

As for Kirby tech I've been playing with:
Wavebounce hammers
Hammer autocancels on platforms
Short hop inhales
Inhaling people through platforms without landing on the platforms (love this so much)
Rock approaches (since you can move your momentum while in the startup of rock, and then choose left, right, or neutral to get out. You can actually make some approaches with rock if you rock DI in, and then DI out/in depending on whether they're in front of or past you)
Rock edgeguards (since the side parts of rock blast people horizontally)

If anyone knows any good uses for footstools in-game with Kirby, please post. I like the idea of a footstool but inhales/nairs/dairs are just so much safer.

Satisfyler

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I don't post on Smashboards too much, but I suppose since I'm a devout Kirby main I should start posting in the Kirby social a bit.
Is anyone else able to feel the anger emanating from your opponent when you kirbycide or inhale gimp them?
Here's a little compilation of my inhale kills I made from a local two weeks ago.
BTW When I sign up for PM tournaments, I enter as "KIRBY" (all caps included) to be as obnoxious as possible.

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any new Kirby tech that is useful to learn? I'm used to playing melee fox where there is always more tech. It's not bad that tech is easier in pm, it's more that I already have great mind-games and I'm used to adding tech to jump up a skill level.

As for Kirby tech I've been playing with:
Wavebounce hammers
Hammer autocancels on platforms
Short hop inhales
Inhaling people through platforms without landing on the platforms (love this so much)
Rock approaches (since you can move your momentum while in the startup of rock, and then choose left, right, or neutral to get out. You can actually make some approaches with rock if you rock DI in, and then DI out/in depending on whether they're in front of or past you)
Rock edgeguards (since the side parts of rock blast people horizontally)

If anyone knows any good uses for footstools in-game with Kirby, please post. I like the idea of a footstool but inhales/nairs/dairs are just so much safer.
B reverse the inhale?.

Never tried rock edgeguarding. How well does that work?

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I don't post on Smashboards too much, but I suppose since I'm a devout Kirby main I should start posting in the Kirby social a bit.

Here's a little compilation of my inhale kills I made from a local two weeks ago.
BTW When I sign up for PM tournaments, I enter as "KIRBY" (all caps included) to be as obnoxious as possible.
And there are more kirby haters out there now.

Also, on some characters you can just spit them out and fly back (maybe throw out a Bair while your at it) and the most they can hope for is to take you with them which most people don't think about (had a yoshi Fair me with his regained second jump before :laugh:).

Doesn't work on all stages and characters, but on stages like dreamland and fountain of dreams with plenty of room under the stage it can work well.

Satisfyler

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tips, Jethroo. I've since modified my swallow methods and (while still not anywhere near optimal) I'm more efficient at trading lives when I have to or spitting them out for gimps and still surviving when I can. Although, if I am a stock ahead, sometimes the allure of getting the double suck is just too strong and I'll do it only to infuriate my opponent. It is truly rewarding.

EDIT
Never tried rock edgeguarding. How well does that work?
Rock edgeguarding is actually very effective. If you don't end up getting the hitbox that launches them away, you can still follow up with an aerial or even a hammer. I actually like to get the hitbox that sends them up against Marths that like the sweet spot the ledge. Just be careful of stage spiking, they will have a lot of time to react to tech it. Or, hell, even swallowcide out of the rock is a possiblity. I love how much hitstun there is on the rock.

Last edited:

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Offstage: Rock can work if you're essentially directly above them. Ie fox tries to firefox really fast, rock will usually get there faster.
Onstage: Covers a lot of options if you time and space it right. If you expect a ledge getup of some sort (control stick towards stage, getup attack, or roll from ledge) you might be able to cover all of them if you space rock in the middle of where they'd roll. If they do the short range getups you'll use the sideways hitbox to hit them back out. If they do a roll you might hit them out of it into hitstun, or you might be close enough to hit with a bair out of rock after they've fully rolled.

I'm not sure how great rock edgeguards are but I'll play around with it a bit. Lots of people like to 'tournament winner' from ledge, which is just asking for bair/hammer. Oh ya, and for players who like to hit you while recovering from ledge - crouch cancel d-tilt.

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Hey all, can you recommend a good doubles partner for Kirby? If you could team with any character, which one would it be and why?

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Ivy for a free solar beam wouldn't be a bad idea and he can kill other people pretty well.

I usually play stock tank in my doubles matches, so i prefer someone who can kill others pretty reliably. Fox with his Usmash and Uthrow to Uair probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edit: Just thought of this randomly, but do you think you could footstool Ike after he threw his sword for his upB?

Last edited:

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Kirby hammer reflecting projectiles would be silly. It's too slow of a move to be reliable for reflecting things like lasers or charge shots.

Footstool on Ike's up-b shouldn't work since footstools only semi-spike when your opponent isn't using a move.

Personally, for doubles I think a character with a strong crouch cancel would work best for me. I pretty much control the ledge game, I just need a partner who can keep control of center stage and send people my way. Best partner, in my opinion is Samus. Can keep people out with her range, has a good crouch cancel, and we could spam a ledge with crouching kirby + samus sh zairs/ missiles.

Just a theory though, we don't typically play doubles pm here.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone tried to use Utilt to edgeguard like fox does in melee? I mean a lot of people will use their Forward-B to get back on stage and it could lead into another attack or a SH inhale off the edge.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
For that kind of punish I just throw out an N-Air. I'm not sure if U-Tilt has the disjoint to not trade with stuff. :/

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I have been working on pivot utilt for stopping approaches and it works very well. It covers more area then it looks like it would just liked kirby's dtilt.
I haven't been able to test it to much because friend i play with mains Ike and while i can stop his approach with it, that's only if he doesn't perfectly distance himself and if he does the punish is hard... His sonic it absolutely stopped by it and that includes sonic's Dair, no trade with that if timing is right on.
I think it is a viable option to at least surprise your opponent or at least some of them for a kirbycide or attack.

Top Bottom