• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Everything -- Kirby Social Thread

benefluence

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have any new Kirby tech that is useful to learn? I'm used to playing melee fox where there is always more tech. It's not bad that tech is easier in pm, it's more that I already have great mind-games and I'm used to adding tech to jump up a skill level.

As for Kirby tech I've been playing with:
Wavebounce hammers
Hammer autocancels on platforms
Short hop inhales
Inhaling people through platforms without landing on the platforms (love this so much)
Rock approaches (since you can move your momentum while in the startup of rock, and then choose left, right, or neutral to get out. You can actually make some approaches with rock if you rock DI in, and then DI out/in depending on whether they're in front of or past you)
Rock edgeguards (since the side parts of rock blast people horizontally)

If anyone knows any good uses for footstools in-game with Kirby, please post. I like the idea of a footstool but inhales/nairs/dairs are just so much safer.
Footstools on a shielded opponent can often lead to better punishes than inhales. That's generally where I think about using them.

As far as more tech, I would look into Dash Attacking off platforms. There's a lot of subtlety in timings and control that are worth practicing. Your aerial velocity is affected by how close to the edge you are when you start the DA (I think you can hold back/forward to affect it too but I haven't tried this in a while so I may be misremembering). That coupled with fast-fall timings give you a lot of options on your trajectory, from mostly horizontal to almost straight down. You don't have anything but landing lag when you hit the ground, so you have a lot of followup options that you want to ingrain the timing for. Also, if you hit the C-stick at the right time as you hit the ground while holding forward, you'll immediately go into a dash.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
On top of that there are a lot of mixups you can do, I consider them as tech you just gotta know when to use it.
Full Hop Dair > Footstool on shields
Nair/Rock out of Footstool
Breverse ground inhale
Pivot tilts
Nairplane > Jab Reset (if they miss tech) (Nair on fast fallers at mid %s always cause them to tech/miss, dont know about floaties tho but i assume not)
Moonwalk out of land cancelled dash attack (for style points)
WD oos is important
Nair oos, or sheild drop nair
Kirby can invincible ledge dash just as well as Fox, and can get an invincible Dash Attack (startup) out of it.

Last edited:

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
On top of that there are a lot of mixups you can do, I consider them as tech you just gotta know when to use it.
Full Hop Dair > Footstool on shields
Nair/Rock out of Footstool
Breverse ground inhale
Pivot tilts
Nairplane > Jab Reset (if they miss tech) (Nair on fast fallers at mid %s always cause them to tech/miss, dont know about floaties tho but i assume not)
Moonwalk out of land cancelled dash attack (for style points)
WD oos is important
Nair oos, or sheild drop nair
Kirby can invincible ledge dash just as well as Fox, and can get an invincible Dash Attack (startup) out of it.
Awesome! I was practicing invincible up-smashes with Fox not too long ago. Shouldn't be too hard to try invincible dash attacks with Kirby. Thanks for the post!

Last edited:

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Here`s something new for you guys to try.

Approach with a short hop cutter-dash but space it so that you`ll miss to bait out an attack. Waveland back and run in with a dash attack or grab.

Alternatively, cutter-dash in front of them, while missing, air-dodge at an angle through them to get behind them (angled through and down to cancel your air-dodge, like a sloppy waveland), and then punish however you see fit.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I always try to space it, vertically. Use it so that only the tip of the CD hits the top of them. Its massively disjointed below Kirby, use that to your advantage. If you hit them it pops them up for a combo and possibly kill with uair. It has less risk when you miss. And if they try to anticipate it let go of B and do a normal one and they'll either get hit with the projectile part, or they dont get hit but you're safe. It works wonders I personally think its the best use for it but never always use/spam the best option.

Last edited:

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Here are two of my combo's from tournaments this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=...eature=player_detailpage&v=Z0S6mvlTSVA#t=1537
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...KAmiTyhiw9K3R-q6JEg74gAh2&v=Hd-oJlitAD0#t=759

When you're playing Kirby, there aren't a lot of standard combo's unless you start them with d-throw (read earlier pages). Your combo's are DI and weight dependent so you have to be able to capitalize. For example, after dash attack: if they DI-down you should jab reset them and then maybe hammer or grab, if they DI away you should follow up with up-air/ nair/ f-tilt, if they DI up you can get an up-tilt/ up-air/ nair. They're not bread and butter combo's, it's this: my opponent can do these 4 things in this situation what am I going to do in the event that any one of them happens. Read the link below and take some time to think about your opponent's options and how you will cover them.

http://www.meleeitonme.com/how-to-improve-your-tech-chasing/

Feel free to ask if you have a specific question.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Here are two replays I saved of me vs. Captain Zack, a really competent Zelda/Peach player (granted, the matches were over Wi-Fi, but the lag was almost virtually nonexistant, thankfully): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIlj7B0PtKU

I'll be sure to upload more Kirby goodness to come in time. :kirby:

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Some good stuff in this showing the power of platforms and edgeguarding. Only things i would say do differently is if they are dash dancing hold off on dash attack until they get close to the edge so they can't run away to out range dash attack and punish.

Seems like the stages you would want to ban against lucas would be FD (no platforms) and wariowario (kirby dies super low because of light weight on both top and sides).

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
So Kirby's 3.5 DACUS being as long as our initial dash attack length... meaning Kirby will get a "long"/notable dacus?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Found out Kirby wont have a DACUS, his Diddy and DK's dash attacks go offstage.

Makai!

Smash Rookie
I just found an interesting use for dash attack that I have not seen posted here (if it has been posted, sorry). If dash attack is properly spaced to finish right off the edge of the stage, Kirby can immediately snap to the ledge. I found this especially useful for edgeguarding Ike (or really any situation where you're onstage and need to edgehog quickly before the opponent recovers). As Ike uses UpB, dash attack in and snap to the edge as Ike is at the peak of Aether, and then he will fall right on past Kirby as you, the Kirby master, enjoy your ledge invincibility. As with most of Kirby's dash attack uses, I've found this to be pretty safe and reliable.

Just wanted to share this tool to add to Kirby's incredible ledge/edge game! I haven't had long to experiment with this yet, so if you find any tricks with it I'd love to know!

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
I just found an interesting use for dash attack that I have not seen posted here (if it has been posted, sorry). If dash attack is properly spaced to finish right off the edge of the stage, Kirby can immediately snap to the ledge. I found this especially useful for edgeguarding Ike (or really any situation where you're onstage and need to edgehog quickly before the opponent recovers). As Ike uses UpB, dash attack in and snap to the edge as Ike is at the peak of Aether, and then he will fall right on past Kirby as you, the Kirby master, enjoy your ledge invincibility. As with most of Kirby's dash attack uses, I've found this to be pretty safe and reliable.

Just wanted to share this tool to add to Kirby's incredible ledge/edge game! I haven't had long to experiment with this yet, so if you find any tricks with it I'd love to know!
Yep, it's a great mechanic to use. If you hold down, you won't grab ledge. There are times when you'll want to grab ledge with dash attack, or dash attack off to hit someone with it, or dash attack off to get off stage quickly to edge guard someone. Make sure you pick the right option. :)

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Smash 4 Kirby is such a pile of trash, it makes me want to put down that game forever. I just need him not to be overly nerfed in 3.5 and then I can be happy.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Yo, can't you do pivot Up Tilts like 64? Now act like you only have Up and Back throw, No Side B, don't charge smash attacks, and only use pink, yellow, red, or blue as a color.

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
It is sad what happened to Kirby in Smash 4, but hey his edge game is amazing! Try Dair to footstool. You can do this in PM, but you need perfection to do it. Since Dair is very difficult to execute in PM. Also I've been watching more chudat lately. Everyone try forward throw to up air and then continue the combo from there. There is another technique where he only uses the first two hits of Fair to lead into combos. I have a hard time timing this, but should be useful.

Player -0

Smash Hero
F-Throw to Up-Air doesn't work with away DI. D-Throw is typically a better option because it leads to CG's or tech chases. I kind of hope they change it so Kirby D-Throw isn't always the go to throw.

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
F-Throw to Up-Air doesn't work with away DI. D-Throw is typically a better option because it leads to CG's or tech chases. I kind of hope they change it so Kirby D-Throw isn't always the go to throw.
Yeah D-throw is one of the first skills I learned when Kirby first came out. I agree with you on changing his throws a bit. I would love to see Up throw with its old n64 knockback, so kirby could have an easier kill move. Instead of Bair, Fsmash, and the hard to hit hammer.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
All his throws have their situations, i agree d-throw is definitely the best tho. Fthrow has some oddly good combo potential, bthrow sets up for edgeguarding, and uthrow (which is prob the worst) has some ok combo potential if they dont DI all the way.

I agree with P-0 tho, the other 3 throws needs to be better. Even if they do make Dthrow a strictly tech chase throw it would still be better than the other 3 now.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I think if D-Throw was like Charizards and then Up Throw was changed so the opponent can DI either direction pretty well but they go above Kirby more that would be cool. That or change Up throw back to Brawl/64/etc. The new Up throw for Kirbs/MK is interesting but the way it's in right now is a bit useless I think... Unless you do that Snake + Kirbs.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
How about turning upthrow into a kill throw? I'm normally disfond of kill throws because they seem stupid, but on kirby I think it may work because he has a bit of an issue getting of kills. Plus he's ****ing going into the stratosphere and slamming them into the ground. You'd think that'd be pretty powerful, no?

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Here's a good mixup I picked up recently in tourney: approach with a running short hop rock (down-b) (remember that you can space rock left or right during the startup frames), but space it so that you land before your opponent. Most players will run up and try to grab you out of rock so pop out and immediately nair to follow up with a dash attack/cutter dash/ jab reset/ etc... It's situational but it's a good mindgame.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
~2 DAYS REMAIN!

Edit: Guys, Ganon's float is his neutral B! Hopefully we get the actual thing instead of some quick replacement like Lucas or Mewtwo... but they should've changed those too.

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
What buffs/nerfs do you guys expect?

I'm almost certain Dash Attack is gonna get nerfed a bit, same with D-Throw and maybe Inhale. Maybe U-Throw will be buffed? :s

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Nerf inhale, buff dair, dash attack is punishable if you know what you're doing. So many players don't time their moves properly and blame dash attack for their poor game knowledge and reaction times. Considering that kirby was the worst in melee, these are buffs he definitely deserved and he's still not top tier.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Dash attack is pretty dumb amounts of dumb right now. He's ungrabbable at the end of dash attack and that thing already has Fox Up B landing lag (aka almost none). I think if the hitbox isn't dumb like Diddy's and its end lag isn't super quick even though you can crossup and fall off of a ledge to make it nigh unpunishable.

I don't really get how Dair needs buffs. Inhale's grab armor grabbing through some thing like Marth's F-Smash is dumb but it's not suuuppperr. Not sure how they would fix that anyway.

I feel like Kirby will still have Ganon punch, even in the air.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but I'm going to be creating Kirby frame data once 3.5 comes out. I've been wanting to know his data since I mained him and it always crashed Brawl Box. So be on the lookout for that. I'll be making it after I do my Samus frame data.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Nerf inhale, buff dair, dash attack is punishable if you know what you're doing. So many players don't time their moves properly and blame dash attack for their poor game knowledge and reaction times. Considering that kirby was the worst in melee, these are buffs he definitely deserved and he's still not top tier.
I completely agree with you. In fact I was talking about those exact changes with my friend last night. I think an overall nerf to inhale would encourage less campy gameplay and have less janky kirby kills. As compensation though, kirby should gain better onstage tools. I think buffing dair to have more priority and a strong ending hitbox or something would be amazing for him. He could now tech chase on a platfrom using the dair to pop them up and then finish off a stock with upair. It could also apply more pressure on shield and act as another gimping tool. If they were to change his dair like this, it could solidify his combo game because right now, kirby combos feel like you can only get them if your opponent di's wrong, and over the course of a game against a good player, he could adapt. This dair however could guarantee a lot more combos. These changes will make kirby overall a more dynamic, solid, and fun character.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I posted a list on page 15 about what I want. But to make things quick...
Inhale needs to be reworked, not nerfed necessarily, where kirbyciding is basicallly useless but his onstage use of a command grab is the same. I would also remove the grab armor on it but increase the range. And if the opponent mashes out they pop upwards, and is easier to mash out, but faster to starshot or copy. Also copy needs a little bit of hitstun. Also inhale shouldnt stay out infinitely if you hold B.

I think Dash Attack needs like a total overhaul, even if its very punishable it shouldn't be your approach move if your opponent messes up 99% of the time. I always thought maybe a quick shorter fireball with less priority would be the best (think Fox's or Peach's dash attack but on fire but with current endlag). I know its a big nerf but he should be buffed in a lot of areas

For one his air mobility needs buffing, not to Puff level but somewhere around the middle.

Overall range on a lot of his ariels increase on startup hitbox frames. Say the beginning of his bair stretches a little farther than it does now on the first frames of the hit, then goes back to normal afterwards. Same goes with all his ariels except nair.

The beginning hitbox of up-air should hit diagonally up and forwards just like in melee. But the other hitboxes remain the same.

Dair, Ive come to the conclusion, should either act basically exactly like Yoshi's. Or the last hit of dair is an actual spike.

Dtilt needs to force tumble at like ~50% at least.

Dthrow needs to almost always tech chase, even at high %s. This sounds like a nerf, but overall it helps in the long run. Dthrow just needs less end lag, like almost right after they pop up you can move. Fthrow needs to become his combo throw so it should have a more vertical kb angle. Bthow is his edgeguard throw fine as is. And Uthrow should reliably kill around 120% on midweights on FD.

Dsmash needs a little more range, and a slightly longer lingering hitbox to kinda match his spinning animation, but the added part is a sourspot.

His ground speed is also limited. Characters at his same speed (Falco, Mario, etc.) have better wavedashes than to compensate. I feel his wavedash should at least match Samus'.

And there are a lot of "small" things i would change to help kirby's pressure. Like a little more power on his first two jabs, a longer/sooner autocancel window on his sh fair. Utilt does a more shield damage, shiled stun same as now, not broken 64 status but enough for the opponent to fear it, totally can get shield grabbed if misspaced. I would alter rock in some way, its very similar to MK's dair and look how that turned out. I would change his fast fall speed (not his fall speed) to match Pika's. Grab range to match Pit's. Final Cutter should only grab ledge backwards if sweetspotted. The sweetspot of up-smash should be as powerful as Fox's, while the early sourspot should be his current sweetspot. And of course all copy abilities act exactly like the original, but im all for buffing the "bad" neutral-bs of every original character.

... so much for making things quick lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom