• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Well, if you want to see another montage, I got one I wanted to share with you guys and the Space Pirates as well.

Loving the Kroc and Rids, but my buddy just cannot get enough of the King. We play a ton of matches online and we pulled off some pretty neat stuff. I just think they make a great pairing, so hopefully you guys enjoy it!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Welp, my Genesis 6 run is over. I placed 65th out of 392 teams in doubles with my brother Dynomyte, and 257th out of 2,103 people in singles. I’m happy with how I did with King K. Rool, but I still have a lot to learn going forward. I can’t wait to get some more practice throughout the weekend!

Plus, I got a snazzy custom King K. Rool controller, made by Controller Chaos.

A9431B16-3A63-4DDF-95AA-66AA42BD856E.jpeg

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Welp, my Genesis 6 run is over. I placed 65th out of 392 teams in doubles with my brother Dynomyte, and 257th out of 2,103 people in singles. I’m happy with how I did with King K. Rool, but I still have a lot to learn going forward. I can’t wait to get some more practice throughout the weekend!

Plus, I got a snazzy custom King K. Rool controller, made by Controller Chaos.

View attachment 189807
257th is impressive, especially if you're new to the competitive scene. Nice job!

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i just wish most pro's weren't so down on K.Rool it gets depressing knowing that most pro's either don't use him or they are too terrified to pick him during a tournament

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Agumon is one of us!

WEEEEEELLLLLLL...

Glad I could see this posted one more time. It really is the end of an era, isn't it? There's not much reason now to use this since not a lot of people are going to come by to announce their support, since there isn't much of a cause to support at this point. Unless Nintendo somehow does us dirty and hypes up K. Rool's return only to not use him again, our job is done. It's a bit weird to think about. While I'm certainly glad that the king is back, there will be certain aspects of Kampaigning that I'll miss.

Kulty

Smash Ace
what buffs would you like for K.Rool?
Buffs that I really want for:ultkrool::
  • Improve his frame data on normals (buff startup and endlag of down-tilt and a bit less landing lag on Nair would be nice for me)
  • Make his overall mobility (dash speed and air speed) a TINY (no pun intended) bit faster
  • Less startup and endlag on Blunderbuss
Buffs that I wish, but not necessary:
  • Buff his armor mechanic by like 1.98 HP so that it's 30 HP. 28.02 HP seems weird to me
  • Have the ability for Blunderbuss to shoot at different angles

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i think Rool should be a bigger threat than he actually is

i mean He's the second heaviest character in the game and yet no matter how much time You've put into him it's like You'll always be the inferior bowser

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I had this really fun (at least on paper) idea for a Blunderbuss buff.

What if, after it's initial flight distance, the Kannonball drops to the ground and becomes a heavy item that can be picked up and thrown, like Wario's Bike?
This would give K. Rool a lot of more options but also some more counterplays:

+ while the Kannonball is out, pressing B automatically activates the Blunderbuss suction
+ The Ball can be sucked back into the cannon and angled at any time
+ A diagonally or upwards shot Ball will also drop back down, as a nice mix up tool
+ And of course the Kannonball can be picked up by K. Rool to just be thrown

however:

- Once a Kannonball is lying out, you cannot shoot another one unless the old one gets thrown offstage or destroyed
- The Ball can be picked up and used by the enemy, potentially turning both of Rool's projectiles against him
- This can lead to some nasty edgeguard situations

With all those options in mind, I just really liked that idea and it would make the move probably even more fun than it already is :)

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I never fell for the idea that K.Rool was great at all. Heck the nerfs he got pushed him into low tier for me (despite how unpopular that opinion is), so I've got a few idea:

-Less endlag on Fair
-Way less endlag on Up-air
-Auto-cancelable Bair on Full Hop
-Less landing lag on Nair

-More knockback-growth on Up-Throw (so you don't need to a platform to kill at reasonable percents)
-More knockback-growth on sour Up-Tilt, sour Up-Smash, regular cannonball and Side-B so they actually kill pass 180%+ (He is suppose to be a heavy-hitter after all)

-The ability to skip to the vacuum phase by holding B
-Slightly better air-acceleration and air-speed

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Glad I could see this posted one more time. It really is the end of an era, isn't it? There's not much reason now to use this since not a lot of people are going to come by to announce their support, since there isn't much of a cause to support at this point. Unless Nintendo somehow does us dirty and hypes up K. Rool's return only to not use him again, our job is done. It's a bit weird to think about. While I'm certainly glad that the king is back, there will be certain aspects of Kampaigning that I'll miss.
I like the idea that the meme can be immortalized in some way. Someone suggested that as soon as someone makes a comprehensive K. Rool guide and posts it here for everyone to see, it could open with a joke and a link to the titular song, something like "So, you want to join the ranks of dedicated K. Rool mains? Well I guess that makes you *One of us!* and link the song, then continue with the guide for real. But yeah, it's odd to think there'll inevitably be future Smash players using our boy Rool and never knowing about our memes and in jokes (Granted there are Rool players who have probably never been to Smashboards and are doing that now, but shut up you know what I mean.). Still, it's enough that we know about it, and we could always tell others about our community and our jokes, because the DKC cartoon is a treasure in and of itself and it deserves to be immortalized in any way it can be, but outsiders might find it interesting that it means slightly more to us than perhaps some other people. We get to talk about how we made a change to Nintendo and Smash Bros. history, and we get to expose more normies to some cheesy 90s goodness. Bluster Kong Spirit when?

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Piranha Plant's little crouch-bite attack when he gets footstooled makes me think it'd be a fun detail if K. Rool took a bit of damage from footstools when he's missing his crown. Maybe have that be the only time he stops growling and hissing to shout the classic HONK

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Piranha Plant's little crouch-bite attack when he gets footstooled makes me think it'd be a fun detail if K. Rool took a bit of damage from footstools when he's missing his crown. Maybe have that be the only time he stops growling and hissing to shout the classic HONK
Oof, it'd be a fun detail, but I could just see K. Rool players getting mad salty that a fun nod to his original source material comes with an inherent nerf, especially considering he's easier to foot stool on account of him being so large, though it's often situational to see him without his crown so. If they implemented something like that, I would ask that the damage be considerably negligible as opposed to PP's instant attack from crouch. PP does about 4.0 damage from a snap, if K. Rool took damage from an uncrowned foot stool there'd have to be no hit stun at any time (think a fox pew-pew lazer) and maybe about 0.5 damage per foot stool. Also to be really accurate, it'd be fun if the opponent actually took damage for foot stooling K. Rool while he has his crown on, though doing that might warrant buffing the damage he took to a crownless footstool for the sake of balance, maybe to about 1-2.5 percent.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Oof, it'd be a fun detail, but I could just see K. Rool players getting mad salty that a fun nod to his original source material comes with an inherent nerf, especially considering he's easier to foot stool on account of him being so large, though it's often situational to see him without his crown so. If they implemented something like that, I would ask that the damage be considerably negligible as opposed to PP's instant attack from crouch. PP does about 4.0 damage from a snap, if K. Rool took damage from an uncrowned foot stool there'd have to be no hit stun at any time (think a fox pew-pew lazer) and maybe about 0.5 damage per foot stool. Also to be really accurate, it'd be fun if the opponent actually took damage for foot stooling K. Rool while he has his crown on, though doing that might warrant buffing the damage he took to a crownless footstool for the sake of balance, maybe to about 1-2.5 percent.
Well yeah, I'd never want it to be some practically exploitable weakness considering being without his crown is already kinda dangerous. But I don't think it'd be a gigantic nerf anyway considering anyone directly above K. Rool will almost certainly have better options to hit him than a single-digit-damage, low-to-no-hitstun footstool. Plus he has u-tilt and u-smash to deter any aspiring head jumpers.
On the other hand, maybe it's for the best that crownless K. Rool doesn't have any additional weaknesses outside of having to worry about it being thrown back at him, considering it would make the Villager/Isabelle matchup even more hellish than it already is

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Well yeah, I'd never want it to be some practically exploitable weakness considering being without his crown is already kinda dangerous. But I don't think it'd be a gigantic nerf anyway considering anyone directly above K. Rool will almost certainly have better options to hit him than a single-digit-damage, low-to-no-hitstun footstool. Plus he has u-tilt and u-smash to deter any aspiring head jumpers.
On the other hand, maybe it's for the best that crownless K. Rool doesn't have any additional weaknesses outside of having to worry about it being thrown back at him, considering it would make the Villager/Isabelle matchup even more hellish than it already is
Not to mention on the odd match that it happens, foot-stooling K. Rool off the stage to his death as he honks would be mad disrespectful. Look typically my advice to people is to not get so angry over video games, but we want less people smashing their switch in two not more and a built in disrespect as a feature seems like fairly justified salt for me.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If K. Rool dealt damage to people footstooling him with his crown on, do you think that damage would come with hitstun and/or knockback, like it does for crouching Piranha Plant, or would the footstool complete normally?
Not to mention on the odd match that it happens, foot-stooling K. Rool off the stage to his death as he honks would be mad disrespectful. Look typically my advice to people is to not get so angry over video games, but we want less people smashing their switch in two not more and a built in disrespect as a feature seems like fairly justified salt for me.
Didn't we once theorize that K. Rool’s Uair would be a bit weaker without his crown? (Which reminds me of a similar feature I worked into my Corsola moveset...)

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i don't know why the idea of A Good Heavyweight is hated so much that people can't stand the possibility that K.Rool Could be better

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I had this really fun (at least on paper) idea for a Blunderbuss buff.

What if, after it's initial flight distance, the Kannonball drops to the ground and becomes a heavy item that can be picked up and thrown, like Wario's Bike?
This would give K. Rool a lot of more options but also some more counterplays:

+ while the Kannonball is out, pressing B automatically activates the Blunderbuss suction
+ The Ball can be sucked back into the cannon and angled at any time
+ A diagonally or upwards shot Ball will also drop back down, as a nice mix up tool
+ And of course the Kannonball can be picked up by K. Rool to just be thrown

however:

- Once a Kannonball is lying out, you cannot shoot another one unless the old one gets thrown offstage or destroyed
- The Ball can be picked up and used by the enemy, potentially turning both of Rool's projectiles against him
- This can lead to some nasty edgeguard situations

With all those options in mind, I just really liked that idea and it would make the move probably even more fun than it already is :)
I actually used to have a similar idea pre-Ultimate where his down special would be him snapping his fingers and a Kannonball would fall in front of him. This could be picked up and thrown like an item, and could be a very scary edgeguarding tool if used at the ledge or off-stage. If K. Rool couldn't have a counter, I think this would be an ideal down special, especially if this could allow you to suck up this Kannonball with Blunderbuss and fire it so you have two Kannonballs flying out.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I actually used to have a similar idea pre-Ultimate where his down special would be him snapping his fingers and a Kannonball would fall in front of him. This could be picked up and thrown like an item, and could be a very scary edgeguarding tool if used at the ledge or off-stage. If K. Rool couldn't have a counter, I think this would be an ideal down special, especially if this could allow you to suck up this Kannonball with Blunderbuss and fire it so you have two Kannonballs flying out.
Well, quick question, can it be picked up by the opponent? Because right now K. Rool already has one special that his opponent uses more than he does, he doesn't need another.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Well, quick question, can it be picked up by the opponent? Because right now K. Rool already has one special that his opponent uses more than he does, he doesn't need another.
I assume it would, but I don't think it would be as big of an issue as Crownerang. The Kannonball is heavy and can't be as easily thrown like his crown, so it could be more easily avoided. The only place you'd really need to worry about a thrown Kannonball is when you're knocked off-stage, since you're at a disadvantage when recovering.

That being said, this was a move I came up with pre-Ultimate. Now that K. Rool is in the game, Gut Check is a necessary part of his moveset as both a reflector and a counter, which helps alleviate some of the shortcomings he has compared to other heavyweights.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i think King K.Rool is a fun character to play as but when you go against someone who happens to be really good i don't know what to do....it's just a battle i guess i can't win

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Some people have been sharing that King K. Rool amiibo have been put up for display early at certain Walmarts. I can't believe he's actually getting his own amiibo next week. If we knew that our king would get a figure during the Mii costume controversy in 2015, we would all lose our minds. I can't wait to add him to my collection soon!

l3g7cq9it8f21.jpg

D

Deleted member

Some people have been sharing that King K. Rool amiibo have been put up for display early at certain Walmarts. I can't believe he's actually getting his own amiibo next week. If we knew that our king would get a figure during the Mii costume controversy in 2015, we would all lose our minds. I can't wait to add him to my collection soon!

View attachment 190993
Damn.
That Amiibo looks dope.

I preordered it, btw.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
preordered it alongside a piranha plant amiibo.

cannot wait for both of them to arrive :)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

View attachment 190993
Oh man that looks great.

One more week until my K.Rool amiibo gets sent...

I'm still in awe that he's back. Every time I hear Xander shout "King K. Rool!" I have to smile. I still can't believe that the fans were able to revive him so completely.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
It really makes me smile to choose K. Rool while the Melee theme song plays. The big boy made it.
It's amazing how right it feels, isn't it? K. Rool belongs in Smash's roster, and always has. It already feels like he's been here all this time.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I had a friend say to me he thinks people don't want to play with me because I prefer a campy playstyle with projectile characters. :( He implied my K. Rool fits this bill, and that sucks if he's right because I play K. Rool entirely for nostalgia, viability aside. It doesn' help that my friends don't appear to want to adhere to the academy of "git gud".

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It's amazing how right it feels, isn't it? K. Rool belongs in Smash's roster, and always has. It already feels like he's been here all this time.
Yep. When I select him with the old Smash music playing or play on a classic stage like Fountain of Dreams or Corneria, it feels like K. Rool is truly part of the family. It's like connecting with that legacy. I think if you screenshotted the last 100 pages of this thread and sent it to our past selves when this game was announced, even those of us who believed K. Rool was a strong possibility like myself, would think someone was pranking us.

So I'm still very happy about K. Rool and what it means that he's here.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just a little disappointed he's easy to exploit..
This is the crocodile that never stops doing dumb things in battle like exposing his head for stomping, firing plain old barrels with inert kannonballs in them when he has plenty of spiked ones, or using a highly vulnerable propellerpack for mobility. ''Exploitable'' is kind of in his blood.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I don't think he's the character that I'm the best with but he's without a doubt my favorite and the one that I'm playing the most. I'm still so happy that he's in the game. After 16 years of waiting, it's still kinda hard to realize how good that is ! Sometimes, just watching him in the selection screen makes me feel so happy. And I sometimes go re watch his trailer, it's still awesome. I'll probably never forget how awesome the day of his reveal was. I've never been happier for a video game, really.

Top Bottom