• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Kulty

Smash Ace
To be completely fair, the helipack nerf could be seen as significant. Spiking K. Rool, to me personally, feels noticeably easier now, and I've never been that great with spikes to begin with. while training my K. Rool amiibo (which I am extremely hyped to have, btw. Can I gush about how it feels to have the first official K. Rool merchandise in decades?), I was able to consistently and more often then when it whiffed spike K. Rool through the helipack. It is worth noting that I was mainly playing K. Rool dittos to train my K. Rool, so I'd be interested to know if it's not that K. Rool got a significant hitbox nerf, but rather the frame data on K. Rool's dair is just really long and consistent and just an overall pretty darn good down air. Verdict is out on K. Rool vs. K. Rool spiking helipack with bair, since I'm definitely worse at landing that than I am landing his dair.
Yeah ever since that patch 2.0.0 came in, I rarely see K Rool players in Elite Smash. It was the same thing before, but after that, it seems to have gotten worse. I do get some good K Rool players in Elite though, but it's rare. Kremling crew is quite of a rare specie online these days from my experience. Luckily, when you do find a good K Rool, this is where it gets fun. I don't know if it's just me, but generally, I really dislike dittos. However,:ultkrool:dittos are one of the few exceptions. I LEGIT THINK IT'S FUN. K Rool can destroy each other super easily, which makes the ditto super explosive in my eyes. :)

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Didn't K. Rool's buries actually get a nerf AND buff though? Doesn't he now keep the opponent in the ground longer than he used to at high percents?

I dunno if I agree with ESAM completely tbh. People could already mess with K. Rool's recovery pretty easily without the hitbox nerf, nothing feels like it really changed in that aspect. The only thing I feel is really significant is that they really did cut away the time K. Rool can inhale with his neutral B. I think it deserved to be shortened, but they REALLY went overboard with it imo. It should definitely last long enough so that he could start inhaling when the opponent is on the ledge, then keep going a second or two after the opponent loses invincibility from grabbing said ledge.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Didn't K. Rool's buries actually get a nerf AND buff though? Doesn't he now keep the opponent in the ground longer than he used to at high percents?
Also the fact he can follow up with aerials more easily at lower percents.

One time I buried a Ganondorf at the ledge at ~30%, they escaped and I got the back aerial meteor smash, KOing him. Situational and is dependent on the opponent's timing, but things like that can be pretty good for mindgames and combos.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
just my luck...Gamestop only had like a few lucina amiibo's and 1 ice climber's amiibo while walmart(as usual)never even stocked any to begin with

i expect King K.Rool to get super expensive super fast just like pearl and marina did

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
just my luck...Gamestop only had like a few lucina amiibo's and 1 ice climber's amiibo while walmart(as usual)never even stocked any to begin with

i expect King K.Rool to get super expensive super fast just like pearl and marina did
Oof. Glad I nabbed mine when I did. I grabbed Ice Climbers, Lucina, and Cloud from GameStop yesterday.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i just hate how if you don't pre-order the amiibo's chances are You'll never get the one you want now without spending an outrageous amount of money...

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
i just hate how if you don't pre-order the amiibo's chances are You'll never get the one you want now without spending an outrageous amount of money...
Yeah, I wish that supply was keeping up with demand, but sadly this is just how it is.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So ya know picking stage formats I don't want and input lag makes this game kinda poo.

I rather wait an hour for a stage format I want as opposed to fighting someone on an Omega stage.

I would rather wait an extra year for any more content if it meant fixing online.

Every time I play this gets on my nerves, For Glory was by function better because at least I didn't have to deal with garbage rules that aren't fun.

Personal note:ultkrool:

Buff him just a little. he's got better tools than :ultbowser::ultdk::ultincineroar::ultcharizard::ultkingdedede::ultganondorf:

But when you whiff, My god that's it.

Reflect shouldn't be trash. :ultmewtwo::ultzelda: has a big goofy hitbox that makes no sense, give :ultkrool: that.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Buff him just a little. he's got better tools than :ultbowser::ultdk::ultincineroar::ultcharizard::ultkingdedede::ultganondorf:

But when you whiff, My god that's it.

Reflect shouldn't be trash. :ultmewtwo::ultzelda: has a big goofy hitbox that makes no sense, give :ultkrool: that.
You kinda have to play patient with him. Don't over-commit to attacks like forward smash, dash attack, and Blunderbuss (specifically the sucking) or else you'll be punished on whiff. You need to read the opponent and punish them accordingly. His punish game is probably the best in the roster since he can do ludicrous amounts of damage (up throw deals 20%!), and Blunderbuss and Crownerang can help bait reactions if they miss.

Of course against faster characters like :ultmario::ultlucina::ultike: that's easier said than done, which is why I wouldn't complain if the endlag on his moves was chopped off so he could keep up the pace.

EDIT: Also Gut Check doubles as a reflector AND a counter so I think it's hitbox is excusable compared to Nayru's Love or Confusion.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
You kinda have to play patient with him. Don't over-commit to attacks like forward smash, dash attack, and Blunderbuss (specifically the sucking) or else you'll be punished on whiff. You need to read the opponent and punish them accordingly. His punish game is probably the best in the roster since he can do ludicrous amounts of damage (up throw deals 20%!), and Blunderbuss and Crownerang can help bait reactions if they miss.

Of course against faster characters like :ultmario::ultlucina::ultike: that's easier said than done, which is why I wouldn't complain if the endlag on his moves was chopped off so he could keep up the pace.

EDIT: Also Gut Check doubles as a reflector AND a counter so I think it's hitbox is excusable compared to Nayru's Love or Confusion.
See, I would be forgiving of gut check's mediocre hitbox if Palutena didn't have the exact same thing except it covers her entirely.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Isn't her counter weaker compared to K.Rool?
Also she can only activate either a reflect or counter, so it can be tricked by something like Pichu following one of it's jolts. K. Rool's does both functions at once whenever it activates, with a very good hitbox on the counter itself.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Is it? Even still, it can land much more consistently than K. Rool's, and I'd overall prefer more defensive reliability than damage or killpower.
Also she can only activate either a reflect or counter, so it can be tricked by something like Pichu following one of it's jolts. K. Rool's does both functions at once whenever it activates, with a very good hitbox on the counter itself.
This is alright, but much more situational than Palu's, and again, this is assuming it can land.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
"Gut Check has a damage multiplier of 1.5× for both counterattacks and reflected projectiles, making it tied with [:ultbrawler:] for the highest damage multiplier of any counterattack, thus being a rather strong counter."

Pakky

Smash Hero
"Gut Check has a damage multiplier of 1.5× for both counterattacks and reflected projectiles, making it tied with [:ultbrawler:] for the highest damage multiplier of any counterattack, thus being a rather strong counter."
Even though the trigger is kinda poo.

And everyone attacks the king from the back :(

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I'm late doing that because I did it more than a week ago but I got my own King K. Rool amiibo! For Christmas I gave a Switch Pro Controller to a friend, but he thought I was too generous (because that stuff is expensive) so he planned to give me an amiibo. He pre-ordered one Piranha Plant for himself and two K. Rool, one for himself too and the other for me. I personally don't plan to expand my amiibo collection anymore but I wasn't going to refuse a gift from a friend, especially one that represents the character I voted for in the ballot!

k_rool_amiibo_boxed.png
k_rool_amiibo_unboxed.png

The golden belly armor makes him look amazing as an amiibo just like what I imagined already back in the ballot days. I should start to train him this week.

Besides, you may have noticed I'm not very active on Smashboards anymore and with the Pokémon Direct announcement expect to see me even less. Back in generation 7 I experimented spoiler avoidance for Pokémon Sun and Moon and discovering the game became more pleasant and I'm going to try doing the same for this year. I'll come back to comment on Smash Ultimate DLC news (and E3 of course! hope K. Rool comes back for more than just Smash!) but not more than that, so goodbye and have nice battles without our favorite crocodile king's status as low tier lowering your enjoyment of playing him!

Attachments

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Well not only did my :ultkrool: get kicked off of Elite Smash but I lost enough to get all my other mains off it too.

The GSP threshold has reached a point where it's genuinely out of my ability to stay in Elite Smash, so I'm probably just gonna stop trying. From here on out I'm mostly gonna do Quick Play for fun or arenas with friends, since I've come to the conclusion I'm just not good enough for Elite Smash.

It's probably weird to vent something like this on a K. Rool Social Thread but this really did a number on my confidence as a player.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
K. Rool currently sits around at 4 million for me when it comes to GSP. I've thankfully gotten high enough that wins and losses make negligible changes to my GSP. So, he's there to stay.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I got K. Rool and Dedede into Elite Smash and then just stopped playing online, wouldn't be surprised if I've been kicked out by now just because of the line moving. But I wouldn't even call myself a mid-level player let alone elite so I don't think I belong anyway lol
Competitive anxiety has kinda destroyed any ambition I had to be good at Smash, I don't really enjoy playing at high level, it's much more fun to just goof around in arenas with friends

Tubbers09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tubbers09
3DS FC
4811-7028-1398
Switch FC
5712-1549-9596
I've found that the higher up in gsp I get the character diversity falls off a cliff. I usually sit right at elite smash level with K Rool and I'm seeing a ton of Lucina and Wolf now. I get excited when I see a character I don't see that often

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Some people thought Finest Hour when K. Rool was revealed. Others thought Do You Know What This Means?

What did I think when K. Rool was revealed?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
still wishing amiibo's had not become this "pre-order asap or spend oodles of cash online to obtain" item

i should be able to get K.Rool's amiibo without spending outrageous amounts of money(same applies to the pearl/marina 2 pack)

But Hey at least i got the octolings 3 pack back in december

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hey guys,

Just crossposting with the video thread for K Rool. It was my first tournament and bracket experience a few days ago, and I played on stream for the first time. Here's the set. :)

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Nice to see more K.Rool Tournament Footage(Seriously why are so many people scared of playing him and yet ganondorf doesn't have that same stigma)

Kulty

Smash Ace
Nice to see more K.Rool Tournament Footage(Seriously why are so many people scared of playing him and yet ganondorf doesn't have that same stigma)
I was the only King K Rool player present for that tournament. I'm sure there are other K Rool players in my community, but it's really scarce atm.

D

Deleted member

Hello there.
For the past few months of playing Smash Ultimate, I have to say that I am extremely surprised by how much I love playing as King K. Rool. I did want him before he got announced because he would be unique and be completely different from past heavy fighters. However, I didn't think I would enjoy him as much.
I consider myself a K. Rool secondary (my mains being Robin and Cloud... and hopefully Joker), but I find myself having the most fun with K. Rool. I think I love the way he plays and what his play style really is like to me; I feel like because K. Rool doesn't follow much of the conventions of a heavy fighter, I find him to be a character who uses underhanded tactics to win. There is something about Rool that really clicks with me.

I hope that he gets buffed though. I always get worried about him being nerfed because scrubs don't know how to fight him (in fact, out of all the characters, I believe I got the most rage quits with Rool). But, here's hoping that things will look good for the croc in the future!

PS: Gangplank Galleon is the best remix in Ultimate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I didn't want to admit it, but I think I've come to the breaking point. I think...I think K Rool is bad. Like, unplayable at even mid-level tournament bad.

I think he sorely needs buffs. He is completely useless against anyone who is speedy, has combos, has projectiles, or revolves around disjoints. That's most of the cast.

To improve K Rool I would reduce landing lag on Fair (to help against speedsters). Increase super armor on Crown Toss (to combat projectiles). Increase belly armour's HP very slightly (to tank through projectiles or possible juggles). And cut one or two frames off of Nair start up (to have some hope of escaping combos).

Maybe I don't play enough, but I don't see any Bowser's complaining about these things, and I feel Bowser has less tools than us. I have to imagine it's because he has better frame data and damage output to counter these play styles. What makes Bowser so different that he is more viable than our Royal Boy?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Guys, I didn't want to admit it, but I think I've come to the breaking point. I think...I think K Rool is bad. Like, unplayable at even mid-level tournament bad.

I think he sorely needs buffs. He is completely useless against anyone who is speedy, has combos, has projectiles, or revolves around disjoints. That's most of the cast.

To improve K Rool I would reduce landing lag on Fair (to help against speedsters). Increase super armor on Crown Toss (to combat projectiles). Increase belly armour's HP very slightly (to tank through projectiles or possible juggles). And cut one or two frames off of Nair start up (to have some hope of escaping combos).

Maybe I don't play enough, but I don't see any Bowser's complaining about these things, and I feel Bowser has less tools than us. I have to imagine it's because he has better frame data and damage output to counter these play styles. What makes Bowser so different that he is more viable than our Royal Boy?
He's faster. That alone improves multiple facets of a character's gameplay by several magnitudes.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Yeah, most of King K. Rool's issues can be traced to his slow mobility. Combined with his large frame and lack of low-startup lag attacks outside of neutral aerial (and in rare cases jab), opponents can just knock him around before he can get any hits in. His belly armor can help alleviate this, especially with his forward tilt, down smash, and dash attack, though it is limited and shouldn't be abused. Plus, if your armor is on the verge of cracking, you're pretty much forced to do away with those moves until it heals.

His current running speed is 1.585, compared Donkey Kong's 1.873 and Bowser's 1.971. I think boosting it up to around 1.7 or 1.8 would do wonders for his playstyle, allowing him to keep up with faster characters and punish them more easily. I'm sure I speak for everyone on the K. Rool boards when I say I hope the devs have been paying attention to how King K. Rool has fared so far and are making the necessary changes to make him better. Version 3.0.0 is right around the corner, so all we can do now is hope for the best.

Remember, King K. Rool's gameplan is to read the opponent, punish them hard, and keep them in the disadvantage stage. He's not the kind of character where you can just throw out projectiles and hitboxes willy nilly like his armor mechanic would have you believe. Each of your moves serves a purpose, after all one of his advantages is the sheer utility of his entire kit.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Yeah, most of King K. Rool's issues can be traced to his slow mobility. Combined with his large frame and lack of low-startup lag attacks outside of neutral aerial (and in rare cases jab), opponents can just knock him around before he can get any hits in. His belly armor can help alleviate this, especially with his forward tilt, down smash, and dash attack, though it is limited and shouldn't be abused. Plus, if your armor is on the verge of cracking, you're pretty much forced to do away with those moves until it heals.

His current running speed is 1.585, compared Donkey Kong's 1.873 and Bowser's 1.971. I think boosting it up to around 1.7 or 1.8 would do wonders for his playstyle, allowing him to keep up with faster characters and punish them more easily. I'm sure I speak for everyone on the K. Rool boards when I say I hope the devs have been paying attention to how King K. Rool has fared so far and are making the necessary changes to make him better. Version 3.0.0 is right around the corner, so all we can do now is hope for the best.

Remember, King K. Rool's gameplan is to read the opponent, punish them hard, and keep them in the disadvantage stage. He's not the kind of character where you can just throw out projectiles and hitboxes willy nilly like his armor mechanic would have you believe. Each of your moves serves a purpose, after all one of his advantages is the sheer utility of his entire kit.
Even if King K Rool has a pretty bad disadavantage state, it's still not as bad as like the other super heavy weights like Bowser, DK and Ganondorf, because he not only has belly armor to save himself from certain situations, but also has an amazing recovery. That's what I like about K Rool. He's the kind of character that is high risk high reward, and even though the reward may not be the best, it still feels amazing knowing how much this character rewards you for making correct decisions and hard reads (bc he does reward you really well on that department). His disadvantage state may be really bad, but his advantage is really amazing as well due to the amount of options he has and the versatility of his moveset. :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Actually, K. Rool can move faster by foxtrotting. It's literally faster than just dashing. Guess it fits crocs being known more sudden bursts of movement when on the offensive rather than prolonged chases...

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Even if King K Rool has a pretty bad disadavantage state, it's still not as bad as like the other super heavy weights like Bowser, DK and Ganondorf, because he not only has belly armor to save himself from certain situations, but also has an amazing recovery. That's what I like about K Rool. He's the kind of character that is high risk high reward, and even though the reward may not be the best, it still feels amazing knowing how much this character rewards you for making correct decisions and hard reads (bc he does reward you really well on that department). His disadvantage state may be really bad, but his advantage is really amazing as well due to the amount of options he has and the versatility of his moveset. :)
I can agree with this. Armor is a good way to break out of disadvantage (if you can make it work). And his punish game is insane. Being able to kill with down smash off a roll read or a lucky f smash, both killing around 70%, is insane.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I can agree with this. Armor is a good way to break out of disadvantage (if you can make it work). And his punish game is insane. Being able to kill with down smash off a roll read or a lucky f smash, both killing around 70%, is insane.
Yeah in addition, because of his risk and reward playstyle,:ultkrool:matchups are rarely even. He is a type of character that either he completely obliterates the opponent or gets bodied. He either has an advantage or a disadavantage in the matchup. It's like there's no in-between (except for a few characters like:ultjigglypuff:and:ultwario:from my experience).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Yeah in addition, because of his risk and reward playstyle,:ultkrool:matchups are rarely even. He is a type of character that either he completely obliterates the opponent or gets bodied. He either has an advantage or a disadavantage in the matchup. It's like there's no in-between (except for a few characters like:ultjigglypuff:and:ultwario:from my experience).
I've come to that conclusion early on. There's characters that I can handle pretty easily like :ultbowser::ultridley::ultincineroar::ultgreninja::ultinkling: and there's others that I just cannot catch a break with like :ultlink::ultyounglink::ultyoshi::ultness::ultwolf:.

Top Bottom