• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

good lord one of the commentators in this match was just dumping on K.Rool hardcore(calling him bottom 5)
Terrible commentating in general, where did they get that "hur dur K.Rool bottom 5" bloke from? Sounds like they plucked him outta a dark corner in an old, dilapidated internet cafe. Easily the worst I've heard and not just cos of the misguided criticism towards both characters.

Didn't really expand on his statements. Usually when stating an opinion, especially on a platform like that, it is an expectation to give reasoning to back up your opinion. Especially right at the start of the match to kick things off, better topics to lead into the early stages of the match.

Thought the standards would be higher...anyway, speaking of commentators...

Imagine these guys commentating a Smash match. Australian Rules Football commentators.

Now that would be.....interesting.

Yep, thats commercial, professional broadcasting for Australia's national sport, folks.

I can sorta imagine someone describing Kirby as a delicious character to use though. ;)

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
yeah i have no idea what that guy was thinking he seemed like he really didn't like K.Rool at all and found him to be a pointless character to play as

Pakky

Smash Hero
Randomly for those who have seen mine work.

What would you think a Tiny kong or Chunky redesign would look like?

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Terrible commentating in general, where did they get that "hur dur K.Rool bottom 5" bloke from? Sounds like they plucked him outta a dark corner in an old, dilapidated internet cafe. Easily the worst I've heard and not just cos of the misguided criticism towards both characters.

Didn't really expand on his statements. Usually when stating an opinion, especially on a platform like that, it is an expectation to give reasoning to back up your opinion. Especially right at the start of the match to kick things off, better topics to lead into the early stages of the match.
You hit the spot here. I think that the terrible views of K Rool are due to him being way overhyped pre-release (obviously) and the lack of K Rool mains who can actually make him look good and develop his meta (apart from Kossismoss and Bonesaw). Anyways this caster should've elaborated on his opinion, him mindlessly dumping K. Rool almost became childish.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Never mind, wrong topic. I will say this, though. Has anyone had trouble using King K. Rool? I haven't had any trouble whatsoever.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
it becomes clear how lackluster rool is when you run into someone better than you that just exploits all of the king's weaknesses and leaves you unable to do much of anything

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Well looks like Retro is definitely not on DK. Or not on DK anymore. Nintendo announced today that Metroid Prime 4 development is restarting and will now be handled by Retro Studios. That's sad in terms of DK but I appreciate what they've done. It must be hard to be in Retro's position trying to revive a project that has gone under, especially after getting so much vitriol last time with Tropical Freeze. I wish them the best.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Well looks like Retro is definitely not on DK. Or not on DK anymore. Nintendo announced today that Metroid Prime 4 development is restarting and will now be handled by Retro Studios. That's sad in terms of DK but I appreciate what they've done. It must be hard to be in Retro's position trying to revive a project that has gone under, especially after getting so much vitriol last time with Tropical Freeze. I wish them the best.
Restarting? Damn, does that mean everything they've done so far is scrapped? How long do we have to wait for Prime 4 now? Does that mean anything at E3 is unlikely atm? And, of course, that also means no DK (And by extension K. Rool) for the forseeable future unless they hand DK off to another studio or Retro ends up working on both projects. On the note of Retro and DK however, what do you mean they were met with vitriol? Everywhere I looked I saw people saying Tropical Freeze was fantastic and a return to form for the DKC series.

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
It's disappointing news for sure, Metroid Prime 4 was one of the main reasons I got the Switch, but Donkey Kong Country is also one of my favorites and I was holding out for a new Switch release. Tropical Freeze turned out to be my favorite of the franchise and I was looking forward to a potential new title under Retro. I am happy that Nintendo is holding Metroid to high standards but the setback is unfortunate and that it could potentially interfere with another DKC makes it sting even more.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys don't forgot future Mario spin-offs of Mario Tennis Aces. That could keep us waiting for a new DK game with King K. Rool getting in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's disappointing news for sure, Metroid Prime 4 was one of the main reasons I got the Switch, but Donkey Kong Country is also one of my favorites and I was holding out for a new Switch release. Tropical Freeze turned out to be my favorite of the franchise and I was looking forward to a potential new title under Retro. I am happy that Nintendo is holding Metroid to high standards but the setback is unfortunate and that it could potentially interfere with another DKC makes it sting even more.
I will be happy with Metroid Prime 4, but the fact that it could be delaying DKCR 3 and K. Rool's return to his own franchise kind of sucks. I would honestly prefer to see DKCR 3 before Metroid Prime 4 to be honest.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Is it safe for me to say I would've prefered a new DKC made by Retro? Metroid just had Samus Returns 3DS. Prime 4 was gonna be made anyway. There's studios for Metroid already. But why isn't Donkey Kong getting this love despite being overall more succesful and selling more? Why is my favorite franchise neglected yet again?

Yes Tropical Freeze Switch was nice, and it was my first experience with the game seeing as I never owned a Wii U. Yet, before that game even came out, nothing else related to Donkey Kong came out in the meanwhile. Unless you count Mario x Rabbids DK Adventure?.. But that's more of a cameo appearance, and didn't do much with the franchise outside of using Donkey Kong alone, and a Rabbid inspired by Cranky.

There was street signs named in Mario Odyssey, Reggie talking about a new Donkey Kong experience way back, K.Rool came back in Ultimate, yet why is the general flow of released games so low with Donkey Kong? What about this franchise is WRONG that it just won't get the same love and attention from Nintendo from all other succesful franchises? If they would've released as frequently as say, Kirby games, DKC would be more succesful than ZELDA even.

Speaking of Zelda, nothing new either.

I just don't get Nintendo. When is E3 or some other Direct?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is it safe for me to say I would've prefered a new DKC made by Retro? Metroid just had Samus Returns 3DS. Prime 4 was gonna be made anyway. There's studios for Metroid already. But why isn't Donkey Kong getting this love despite being overall more succesful and selling more? Why is my favorite franchise neglected yet again?

Yes Tropical Freeze Switch was nice, and it was my first experience with the game seeing as I never owned a Wii U. Yet, before that game even came out, nothing else related to Donkey Kong came out in the meanwhile. Unless you count Mario x Rabbids DK Adventure?.. But that's more of a cameo appearance, and didn't do much with the franchise outside of using Donkey Kong alone, and a Rabbid inspired by Cranky.

There was street signs named in Mario Odyssey, Reggie talking about a new Donkey Kong experience way back, K.Rool came back in Ultimate, yet why is the general flow of released games so low with Donkey Kong? What about this franchise is WRONG that it just won't get the same love and attention from Nintendo from all other succesful franchises? If they would've released as frequently as say, Kirby games, DKC would be more succesful than ZELDA even.

Because it's associated with Mario, and it isn't that. Same deal with Yoshi games

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman

I think Tropical Freeze's Wii U sales are partly to blame for the drought, obviously because the Wii U didn't sell well. With the Switch port having sold better, Nintendo should see the financial opportunity from the series. Of course, if they're counting on Retro to develop it, we know we could end up waiting six years for a new DK game now.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Tropical Freeze's Wii U sales are partly to blame for the drought, obviously because the Wii U didn't sell well. With the Switch port having sold better, Nintendo should see the financial opportunity from the series. Of course, if they're counting on Retro to develop it, we know we could end up waiting six years for a new DK game now.
If so, that's dandy, I'll have to wait ages before I know whether anything happens to the other DK characters that haven't shown up in years. Pretty fun!

Blank+_52b20a88beea3e1a696169809547c4f9.png

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
If so, that's dandy, I'll have to wait ages before I know whether anything happens to the other DK characters that haven't shown up in years. Pretty fun!

Yeah, we'll be waiting a while likely. Fortunately, I haven't played any of the DK Land trilogy, so I have those to keep me occupied, but I don't know what the rest of you will do.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, we'll be waiting a while likely. Fortunately, I haven't played any of the DK Land trilogy, so I have those to keep me occupied, but I don't know what the rest of you will do.
Once I finally, FINALLY get a Switch, one of the first things I'll do is play Tropical Freeze and ignore this forum until any more DLC news happen.

Speaking of Land, I still need to grab that trilogy on the 3DS e-shop, since I don't have any of the original copies yet. And I still need to get around to giving the 3DS version of Returns a shot.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
King K. Rool is really powerful and easy to use, so we relied on him quite often when playing in Spirits mode.

Sakurai: The main concept for him was “a heavyweight that doesn’t act like a heavyweight”. He has a useful Propellerpack making his recovery really good. He’s kind of a fighter that challenges the conventions of what makes a heavyweight character the way they are. I think we nailed our main concept of making him a character that’s fun to fight as; with his attacks that are based on his original games, the Propellerpack up special and such, he uses a lot of different things to battle with and fights in a way that’s really unique to his character.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...a-plant-character-changes-online-much-more/2/

Reading this was extremely validating. This reads like a fan ballot write-up.

In terms of MP4s delay and Retros involvement I don't think it's as much of a death knell in the medium term as far as a future DK title is concerned. Someone like an Ubisoft could potentially step in and develop. Patience is a virtue, still confident that something DK related is on the horizon sooner rather than later.

Regardless, things are looking up in terms of DK. K. Rool is in the mainstream again, the Switch TF port is doing well and DK has a solid prescnce in general compared to the dark, uncertain days of the buyout era.

Also may be reaching and most likely been touched on, but TFs Switch description refers to the title as DKs debut on the Switch.....now a debut can imply that there is more to come, a first appearance, a start if you will... ;)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In terms of MP4s delay and Retros involvement I don't think it's as much of a death knell in the medium term as far as a future DK title is concerned. Someone like an Ubisoft could potentially step in and develop. Patience us a virtue, still confident that something DK related is on the horizon sooner rather than later.

Regardless, things are looking up in terms of DK. K. Rool is in the mainstream again, the Switch TF port is doing well and DK has a solid prescnce in general compared to the dark, uncertain days of the buyout era.
It may help if they say anything in regards to DK at E3. In the meantime, Mario spin-off appearances of the king would be nice to have again.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get a new DK game announced this year. It's basically Nintendo's only major IP left that doesn't have a new title either released or known about on the Switch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get a new DK game announced this year. It's basically Nintendo's only major IP left that doesn't have a new title either released or known about on the Switch.
On the bright side, we don't seem to get any Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games anymore, seeing as Nintendo Software Technology went on to do Captain Toad ports last year. I wonder what will become of those guys.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Alright so here's what I got so far on Tiny Kong.

Yeah I'm gonna tone down the butt, and this a base model she's not naked.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright so here's what I got so far on Tiny Kong.

Yeah I' gonna tone down the butt, and this a base model she's not naked.
Ima be real with you the thicc is kinda ridicc

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yes, yes I know but what about the rest?
Well I'm no professional, especially in regards to 3D, but personally, I think those arms are really long, her cleavage seems a bit too defined for her not being naked, and her legs are really off-centered from her torso.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well I'm no professional, especially in regards to 3D, but personally, I think those arms are really long, her cleavage seems a bit too defined for her not being naked, and her legs are really off-centered from her torso.
Noted I will correct these as I continue to work on it, thank you :D

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Was never aware that dair combo'd into dtilt. Huh.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Was never aware that dair combo'd into dtilt. Huh.
I...I am in love

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
The Kongs need to recruit Ike and the Belmonts and Ness and Lucas to help them next time K. Rool gives them trouble. K. Rool would never bother DK Island again.

Maybe K. Rool could trick the Kongs and have them enlist the support of Incineroar. Goodbye, Donkey Kong Island, if that's the case.

Pakky

Smash Hero

So I made her a bit more in line with the orginal model. all the main pieces are in place now just time to add details and extra effects.

- I want to give her a tiny jacket.

- Might make the head bigger though moving everything is going to suck.

- Thinking about giving her Expresso as a mount since she uses feathers in her crossbow but w'ell see.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know if summonable spirits will appear on the Spirit Board? I've read that they won't until you summon them once, but I also was able to fight Cranky Kong, M. Bison, and Viridi in World of Light without summoning them. Granted, World of Light is different, but I'm just curious if I can get the Baron K. Roolenstein spirit, either on the board or in story without summoning him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Does anyone know if summonable spirits will appear on the Spirit Board? I've read that they won't until you summon them once, but I also was able to fight Cranky Kong, M. Bison, and Viridi in World of Light without summoning them. Granted, World of Light is different, but I'm just curious if I can get the Baron K. Roolenstein spirit, either on the board or in story without summoning him.
Some appear in World of Light, while others can only be obtained through summoning. It's wildly inconsistent, but I don't think that Baron K. Roolstein has a fight on the Spirit Board or in the World of Light.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Not all summonable spirits are mutually exclusive, some can be found regularly in WoL but are able to be summoned (usually spirits that have tougher battles).

That said, summoning unique/spirits that can ONLY be acquired by summoning does make them start appearing in the Spirit Board. Though I've yet to see a lot of them (the only ones I'm missing are the Partner Eevee/Pikachu ones which are timed exclusives), making me think some might just not have spirit battles period.

StormC

Smash Hero
Some appear in World of Light, while others can only be obtained through summoning. It's wildly inconsistent, but I don't think that Baron K. Roolstein has a fight on the Spirit Board or in the World of Light.
He doesn't. Which is too bad, it would be pretty easy to do, set it in Dracula's Castle with an electrified floor.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
He doesn't. Which is too bad, it would be pretty easy to do, set it in Dracula's Castle with an electrified floor.
Damn, that's disappointing. At least Kaptain K. Rool is s Legend level spirit, though. I've been using him with K. Rool on the Spirit Board and I can take as many hits as I want with him, because of how powerful he is.

Top Bottom