• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I could easily live without these characters, but everyone has their own opinions of course.

I don't think new characters should take all the spotlight for Smash. To me it never made sense to even like a new character that much, especially if they're from a new franchise. Why would you like a char so much that you "just got to know"? I mean sure I can see it for franchises you like, but something completely new? Can a bond to such a character really get created in such a short time? And even if yes, it doesn't really compare to what bonds people already have with long-time existing characters that they loved and supported for all these decades.

I can easily accept newcomers that are popular, have a good reputation and a few games already. Like Pikmin, Splatoon and more.

Third parties are even worse. Things like Shovel Knight make no sense to me. Even if you think the game is fun and good. It's just a weird armor with one game that most people just experienced. Why would you want that in Smash and not something you've liked for years?
I've come to the conclusion that many of these followers of weird characters just bandwagon onto them because they already have a following and support, and somehow they start liking them even more as well through this and start supporting the idea.
The same thing holds true for Takamaru or any weird retro rep, and even for K. Rool partially. Many who might not even be familiar with these characters just support them because they're the "popular trend right now that most people support".
Obviously this is a good thing for K. Rool and I know many supporters like him because of the older DK games where he appeared in, so that at least came from more than having just one game, which might only be released in Japan, that you likely haven't even known or played, but still support that character just because he is liked by other people for whatever reason. I also like the ICs, but forcing a retro rep or even "wtf-character" every time and thinking about how cool that char would be doesn't make sense to me. They just take away from possible other spots that more popular, iconic and memorable characters should have.

Well, like I said that's just how I see it. I know I'm biased against some chars and games, but even if I liked some new ones I could easily take and understand them not joining Smash immediately because of being too recent and not having built a large enough impact/fanbase for itself.
I guess I'm also a little biased because DK is actually a big and popular franchise of Nintendo that got neglacted in Smash for too long while other series got more reps just because Sakurai seems biased (KI, FE and even Kirby a bit (especially in Brawl)). If I had my most wanteds I'd care less about who joins or not since I'd be pretty satisfied with what I have. I guess that's how it must be for many people, and they just want some new interesting chars to join.
Thanks for the input, but I have to disagree. I love WTF characters because it exposes people to new things. Game & Watch in my eyes is a good WTF character as he’s well made, has history and offers so much uniqueness in both gameplay and design.

I love more marketing focused characters as they offer something different, like Corrin’s dragon moves or Shulk’s different power types. The game also promotes them so hopefully their game or franchise can rise from the ashes, isn’t that right FE and Kid Icarus.

I will agree that some franchises are treated poorly though, I actually felt betrayed as a Kirby fan during Wii U and 3DS, Bandana Waddle Dee had recently established him self into the Kirby world, and he definitely deserved a place in the new Smash. I can only imagine how DK fans feel with one less character.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I love characters people actually care about. Give me an Isaac over a Wii Fit Trainer every day. And I like Wii Fit Trainer. And I don't actually care about Golden Sun; but I know many people do. And it's cool to fight with characters you love versus characters other people love.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I find it pretty doubtful we'll get any new DK stages, so I hope all the previous ones return to make up for it.
Kongo Jungle, Jungle Hijinx and Rumble Falls would be sweet, even if they are all just jungle themed levels. If K. Rool does get confirmed, I hope they add another DK stage that isn't just palm trees.

As it stands, there are only 3 Donkey Kong levels for Ultimate, which puts us 1 stage under the Kirby and Mother series.
I still say that if K. Rool makes the game, he really should have a Gangplank Galleon stage all to himself for representation. Probably mix it up like Suzaku Castle so it's not a flat stage, but give us the familiar ship deck to run around on, as well as something like some stacked barrels and the mast and sails for platforms, maybe even K. Rools captains cabin from DKC2 as a place you could run into and fight in.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Thanks for the input, but I have to disagree. I love WTF characters because it exposes people to new things. Game & Watch in my eyes is a good WTF character as he’s well made, has history and offers so much uniqueness in both gameplay and design.

I love more marketing focused characters as they offer something different, like Corrin’s dragon moves or Shulk’s different power types. The game also promotes them so hopefully their game or franchise can rise from the ashes, isn’t that right FE and Kid Icarus.

I will agree that some franchises are treated poorly though, I actually felt betrayed as a Kirby fan during Wii U and 3DS, Bandana Waddle Dee had recently established him self into the Kirby world, and he definitely deserved a place in the new Smash. I can only imagine how DK fans feel with one less character.
I have nothing against unexpected characters either - ROB is my main, after all - but I am thoroughly against reserving a spot for one during speculation.

These characters can be amazing but they're amazing because they work, they're well thought out, and they're not unexpected for the sake of being unexpected. They'd lose their charm otherwise.

As far as offering something different this is actually something I disliked about Smash 4 a lot - every newcomer had to have a gimmick. I don't want a character with bars and meters and durability for their belt buckle, I just want a standard character who is fun to play.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thoroughly disappointed with Smash 4. If I didn't dislike those games, it was close. Don't get me wrong, I loved SOME of the newcomer choices. Little Mac is one of my secondary mains. But the way Ridley was treated, as well as the DK franchise, I found absolutely despicable. And I hated Dark Pit. In my personal, humble opinion, it felt like Sakurai's choices were more biased this time around. He worked on Uprising, so Kid Icarus has 2 newcomers. Well at least Kirby doesn't have too many fighters. And Fire Emblem repping was just a joke XD

Oh well, it's just a game, and a lot of that hate has calmed down significantly as Ultimate seems to be fixing a lot of things wrong with 4.

Now all I need is K. Rool. :3

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I have nothing against unexpected characters either - ROB is my main, after all - but I am thoroughly against reserving a spot for one during speculation.

These characters can be amazing but they're amazing because they work, they're well thought out, and they're not unexpected for the sake of being unexpected. They'd lose their charm otherwise.

As far as offering something different this is actually something I disliked about Smash 4 a lot - every newcomer had to have a gimmick. I don't want a character with bars and meters and durability for their belt buckle, I just want a standard character who is fun to play.

I was getting really tired of Sm4sh speculation being "what gimmick can this character bring?" I think that's one of the coolest things about Ridley as a newcomer - beyond the fact that it happened in the first place - is that he doesn't have a gimmick outside of the standard fighting game archetypes. I'd hope that we can get more standard characters. Not that I'm against gimmicks, but I also like characters I can just pick up and play.

Also everyone likes to put "retro rep" or "Sakurai surprise rep" on their fanrosters now, and that seems as unoriginal as "Let's add a DK rep becuase we need a DK rep." (Bonus points for when the same person who supports a retro becuase they're retro and Sakurai always adds retros being against adding characters for the sake af adding just any character from series X)

Here's hoping we get some fun characters that most people will love to play.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I feel like surprise characters can be super hit and miss. Mr. Game and Watch was one of the most creative oddball characters ever and he both stood out and fit like a glove. I don't think R.O.B. was as great of an addition but I think he integrated himself well into Smash Brothers.

I feel like Wii Fit Trainer wasn't very well thought out, in my opinion. I like her enough and I don't think she detracted anything, but so many of her moves don't feel planned out and a lot of her attributes don't really represent Wii Fit that well. Her final smash is just Mario's, her standard B is just a standard charge projectile, and her up B doesn't make much sense. I don't want to take away from anyone who likes her but, unlike ROB and Game and Watch, I feel like her presence didn't affect much. It kind of shows since I have barely seen anyone pick her for competition or even just for fun.

So, this post isn't just to talk about Wii Fit Trainer, but to analyze WTF characters as a whole. I think in order for them to work there needs to be more of a reason to be added than "lol this character would be funny." If there is going to be one in Smash 5 I hope it's one that doesn't feel like a moveset strapped to a character (like Wii Fit Trainer) and more of a character with a natural moveset (like G&W).

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thoroughly disappointed with Smash 4. If I didn't dislike those games, it was close. Don't get me wrong, I loved SOME of the newcomer choices. Little Mac is one of my secondary mains. But the way Ridley was treated, as well as the DK franchise, I found absolutely despicable. And I hated Dark Pit. In my personal, humble opinion, it felt like Sakurai's choices were more biased this time around. He worked on Uprising, so Kid Icarus has 2 newcomers. Well at least Kirby doesn't have too many fighters. And Fire Emblem repping was just a joke XD

Oh well, it's just a game, and a lot of that hate has calmed down significantly as Ultimate seems to be fixing a lot of things wrong with 4.

Now all I need is K. Rool. :3
Good I hate this mentality so much. I mean Dark Pit and Lucina were quick edits after the game was done anyways. Calling echoes actual newcomers is a bit of stretch. Roy was added but because he was FE but because he was a loved vet. Still you can be disappointed with that but the thing I can't stand is the way people act like Ridley got the short stick. Like I wish my favorite characters were treated so "despicably" that Sakurai kept giving him special roles because he cares to try and please fans. I know he wasn't playable but he didn't think he could make him playable at the time and he could have just not put in the game. I'd it were possible I'd gladly swap out Ridley in Smash 4 with one of my favorites. They still wouldn't be playable but at least they would be in the dang game. Sorry mate for renting it's just I'm an Isaac fan and him being dropped entirely makes me very bitter towards people complaining their characters are in the game but not playable. It can be much much worse.
On a different note I still think 4 had the best roster, till Ultimate drops of course. I was incredibly happy with who we got even though only one character I supported got in.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
What I meant was how his stage boss role reveal was handled. For all we knew he could still have been playable.

With that logic Rool got an even shorter end of the stick, he never showed up in Smash in an animated role at all. A trophy 3 games in a row.

But I was happy too in the end, Mac is good, and Bowser's improvements were rad.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I don't an event taking place in France means that a French-created character (or any character really) is going to be revealed (Though I suppose I can't discount the possiblity).

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I find it pretty doubtful we'll get any new DK stages, so I hope all the previous ones return to make up for it.
Kongo Jungle, Jungle Hijinx and Rumble Falls would be sweet, even if they are all just jungle themed levels. If K. Rool does get confirmed, I hope they add another DK stage that isn't just palm trees.

As it stands, there are only 3 Donkey Kong levels for Ultimate, which puts us 1 stage under the Kirby and Mother series.
I'm pretty confident that even if we don't get a K. Rool-centric stage or something, we'll get a Tropical Freeze stage.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

Different doesn’t mean gimmicky, Game & WTch is like no other, yet functions the same.
Plus, most of Smash 4’s gimmicks work well in giving an edge to different play styles or balancing op moves.

I guess everyone has their opinion, but WTF characters,such as R.O.B., G & W, Duck Hunt, and the like are great. I may be biased though as I’m trying to get a strange character in...... hmmmm ..... shameless plug
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-diver-dives-in-endless-ocean-for-smash.456284/

StormC

Smash Hero
Good I hate this mentality so much. I mean Dark Pit and Lucina were quick edits after the game was done anyways. Calling echoes actual newcomers is a bit of stretch. Roy was added but because he was FE but because he was a loved vet. Still you can be disappointed with that but the thing I can't stand is the way people act like Ridley got the short stick. Like I wish my favorite characters were treated so "despicably" that Sakurai kept giving him special roles because he cares to try and please fans. I know he wasn't playable but he didn't think he could make him playable at the time and he could have just not put in the game. I'd it were possible I'd gladly swap out Ridley in Smash 4 with one of my favorites. They still wouldn't be playable but at least they would be in the dang game. Sorry mate for renting it's just I'm an Isaac fan and him being dropped entirely makes me very bitter towards people complaining their characters are in the game but not playable. It can be much much worse.
Ridley being a glorified pinata is not exactly a favor to his fans. "Character is in the game but not playable" is mostly the same thing as "not playable."

Sakurai going "lol actually he's playable now" makes all this song and dance even more baffling. Ridley could have been playable as early as Brawl. Thank God he's in the roster now, but acting like fans should be happy he was put in as a meatshield is kind of asinine. Projecting your frustration as an Isaac fan doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

I'm actually fairly certain that unexpected characters are unlikely for Ultimate. With so few new characters to add, and with this being "Ultimate" and all, I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows that this is the time to give people what they want, and he has the ballot to go off of for some hard data, so he's not really guessing. Smash 4 had Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt, but it also had Mega Man, Villager, Little Mac, Pac Man, and other fan favorites or high profile additions. But if we're getting only about half a dozen new characters, there's no way one of those is going to be the Brain Age guy or something.

Hence, Cloud, Daisy, Ridley, and hopefully others like K. Rool and Geno this time around. I'm not holding my breath for Chibi-Robo, one of my top two picks, or other characters people seem certain about, like Bandana Waddle Dee, who would be nice, but aren't going to wow enough people. When Wii Fit Trainer was announced, I don't think people were jumping out of their seats like they were for Mega Man or Ridley.

I was getting really tired of Sm4sh speculation being "what gimmick can this character bring?" I think that's one of the coolest things about Ridley as a newcomer - beyond the fact that it happened in the first place - is that he doesn't have a gimmick outside of the standard fighting game archetypes. I'd hope that we can get more standard characters. Not that I'm against gimmicks, but I also like characters I can just pick up and play.
The only thing Ridley has that's close to a gimmick is his weak spot, but that's not a playstyle gimmick, and otherwise he's totally normal. It's probably the tamest gimmick there is.

Ridley being a glorified pinata is not exactly a favor to his fans. "Character is in the game but not playable" is mostly the same thing as "not playable."

Sakurai going "lol actually he's playable now" makes all this song and dance even more baffling. Ridley could have been playable as early as Brawl. Thank God he's in the roster now, but acting like fans should be happy he was put in as a meatshield is kind of asinine. Projecting your frustration as an Isaac fan doesn't change that.
I think Ridley's appearance of being a "piñata" is a combination of him being such an unfamiliar character, so people don't know how to use him best, especially against smaller and faster opponents, as well as his balancing just needing some tweaks.

Sakurai's reservations about Ridley weren't just "he's too big" as the memes single out. It was more so "How do you capture the power and dangerousness of this huge boss character, but make him balanced?" And Ridley does have some really powerful moves that capture that essence, like his Down B that's 60% damage on sweetspot and immobilizes the player, as well as his command grab that throws the enemy off the stage guaranteed, while doing about 29% damage. That Down B in particular got people's attention early, and people thought it was super overpowered and would have to be nerfed... and then actual matches started occurring, where Ridley players were getting bodied pretty hard, and now no one seems worried. But once players get in the lab and learn how to maximize the potential of those and other moves, Ridley will be pretty dangerous.

But then he may also just be a little oddly balanced outside of that. On top of his weak spot, he also has that "piñata" quality that makes him easy to combo. Because with moves and damage like his, if he's also tough to kill, then how would he not be overpowered? He'd basically be an actual playable boss character, like in old fighting games, which is exactly what Sakurai has been afraid of for so long. That's why, up to now, he's made appearances as an actual boss character in Brawl and 4, because that's what the character would "truly" be like. So it's an incredibly tricky thing to balance, compared to balancing more average characters. It's also probably why he isn't so overtly powerful like most of the recent additions (Bayonetta, Cloud, and Inkling).

I'm not too worried about it, as I think the meta will be quite promising when the game launches. And even if it isn't, this seems like a game that Nintendo is going to support with balance patches for a while. They want it to be an eSport like Splatoon, so they're probably going to give it similar treatment.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
From the Isaac thread.
Supposed leak from a neogaf user: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/supe...te-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068/

Newcomers: Simon, K. Rool, Isaac, and then says he doesn't know the rest. It's post number 31 from user WhisslBlank. User says the post will be deleted soon.

As with every 'leak' that has Isaac, I hope it's real. lol
I'm copying it before it gets deleted

I might delete this post soon since I don't want to cause the source I got this information from any trouble though I can't help it to share this information out of curiosity, even if it won't stay here for too long.

Here is some basic information that I've got:

- The Fire Emblem Series won't receive any newcomers but 2 who are based on existing fighters
- The Legend of Zelda Series won't receive any newcomers
- The Pokemon Series won't receive any newcomers
- Something about an addition to Cloud was mentioned, though I don't know for now if it's gonna be another Final Fantasy character or some other Square Enix character

There are gonna be 12 newcomers in total from which 5 of them are going to be based on other fighters.

For the new ones I only got information on 3 characters who should appear in this title:

- Simon Belmont
- King K. Rool
- Isaac
- X
- X
- X
- X

As for the 5 who are based on other fighters I could also just get the name of 3 of them:

- Chrom based on Roy (appearently with other effects than flames?)
- Soren (I don't know about any changes but he willl be based on Robin)
- Ken ( Based on Ryu with Flame effects)
- X
- X

Some of those will be announced very soon.

Take it or leave it I don't care, I will delete this post soon anyways.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

Like I said I'll gladly let one of my favorites be in Smash 4 so that Ridley can just be completely absent. And it was like Villager, Pacman, or Miis, Sakurai just couldn't envision it yet. So it took a bit but he figured it out. And I'm not saying being happy about him being a glorified pinata I meant being happy Sakurai goes out of his way to be sure to include him and treat him special when so many other fanbases would kill for a fraction of Ridley's attention.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I have to say I hope Sakurai doesn't do anything like the Smash4 Ridley shadow tease to the K.Rool fanbase. That was a pretty big middle finger if you stood back and looked at that shadow objectively and as a casual player..it felt like a no brainer we would see playable Ridley.

I remember my casual Smash friend seeing that and going nuts, because of how inexplicably tease-worthy it was. I put myself in my friends shoes and once Sakurai made it clear much further down the road...it truly felt like a punch below the belt.

I want nothing like that for us. If we happen to still not get King K...then maybe the Mii Outift is just that for us..a nice swift kick. Lol.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Yeah and he was going to be a stage boss but Toon Link was also a stage element and every other stage boss was shown on immediately. It made no sense to not immediately reveal Ridley.

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
From the Isaac thread.

If this person is saying 12 newcomers that would include Ridley, Daisy, and Inkling, right? Seems a bit suspicious that they would forget to mention them and claim there are five echo fighters, but could only get three names. Even if they just forgot, the total of 12 would still be fine. But it's weird.

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
I feel like the worst part to this is that K. Rool (if he's truly in) will likely not be the next character revealed. It'll probably be another popular pick. K. Rool seems like a character they'd save for last to generate a lot more hype. If this ends up being the case then.... We're in for a long wait.
I don't think they will reveal 2 villains in a row. Maybe they could if he was revealed alongside Dixie.
I'm inclined to agree with both points, but our one possible saving grace is that the only big reveal so far has been Ridley, who, as I understand it, was much more popular in the US than in Japan (so much so that people apparently refer to him as "Captain America"). Since a US fan favorite has already had a big hype reveal, I feel like Sakurai won't want to wait too too long before giving the same treatment to a Japanese fan favorite. (Of course, I'm sure there are several Japanese fan favorites to choose from, but at the very least our favorite Kroc seems to be one of them.)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
the
I guess everyone has their opinion, but WTF characters,such as R.O.B., G & W, Duck Hunt, and the like are great. I may be biased though as I’m trying to get a strange character in...... hmmmm ..... shameless plug
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-diver-dives-in-endless-ocean-for-smash.456284/
No mate, you've got me wrong!

I like Mr. Game And Watch, ROB is my favourite Smash character and Duck Hunt is amongst my favourite newcomers from Smash 4. All of these are ones I didn't expect but have fun, broadly cohesive movesets which make sense in retrospect. And yes, I'd say the charm of these picks is one of the best things about Sakurai directing. My qualm is that people now fixate on the concept of having an unexpected character solely for the sake of it being surprising without having an ounce of an idea to make it work like Sakurai does. I'm talking the kind who'd have a tag team labo man and hanafuda card for no reason beyond "lol noone saw this coming".

My "gimmick complaint is more geared towards the Smash 4 additions in general: Cloud having a meter, Robin having durability, Palutena being a build your own fighter, etc.. It felt like it went too far trying to make every character have a very specific niche by a gimmick rather than just a distinct playstyle.

As salty as I was about it, Corrin is one of the better examples of what I mean when I am talking about liking a more straightforward character. Duck Hunt is a good example as well though.

To give this some relevance to K Rool, some would suggest he has to have some kind of stance change between king and kaptain to make him stand out, whereas I would much rather eschew this for a simpler "greatest hits" moveset geared towards making him play a certain way.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm inclined to agree with both points, but our one possible saving grace is that the only big reveal so far has been Ridley, who, as I understand it, was much more popular in the US than in Japan (so much so that people apparently refer to him as "Captain America"). Since a US fan favorite has already had a big hype reveal, I feel like Sakurai won't want to wait too too long before giving the same treatment to a Japanese fan favorite. (Of course, I'm sure there are several Japanese fan favorites to choose from, but at the very least our favorite Kroc seems to be one of them.)
My prediction is Bandana Dee will be the "Japanese favorite" while K. Rool is the global one.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
No mate, you've got me wrong!

I like Mr. Game And Watch, ROB is my favourite Smash character and Duck Hunt is amongst my favourite newcomers from Smash 4. All of these are ones I didn't expect but have fun, broadly cohesive movesets which make sense in retrospect. And yes, I'd say the charm of these picks is one of the best things about Sakurai directing. My qualm is that people now fixate on the concept of having an unexpected character solely for the sake of it being surprising without having an ounce of an idea to make it work like Sakurai does. I'm talking the kind who'd have a tag team labo man and hanafuda card for no reason beyond "lol noone saw this coming".

My "gimmick complaint is more geared towards the Smash 4 additions in general: Cloud having a meter, Robin having durability, Palutena being a build your own fighter, etc.. It felt like it went too far trying to make every character have a very specific niche by a gimmick rather than just a distinct playstyle.

As salty as I was about it, Corrin is one of the better examples of what I mean when I am talking about liking a more straightforward character. Duck Hunt is a good example as well though.
Ohh ok

LABO Man would be cool though, there is actually a full youtube video on how he would work, I suggest you check it out. I can agree though, specific niche’s can get annoying, but all of the characters you stated aren’t WTF characters, more like general characters that have that, more marketing inspired, like Corrin clearly was. Duck Hunt is a WTF character. Those characters you could predict at least, except Cloud due to PlayStation ties.

My prediction is Bandana Dee will be the "Japanese favorite" while K. Rool is the global one.
I think a Bandana Dee is more than a Japanese favorite. If I were to guess, he would be added because Kirby has exploded in popularity after Return to Dreamland, and Bandana Dee is a missing member of the Kirby crew. It honestly feels wrong not having him after him basically being integrated as the 4th member, and as Kirby’s best friend in modern games like Rainbow Curse and Battle Royal which portray him as such.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this point I'll take anything, as long as it means Rool gets confirmed before release lol.
Yeah. It doesn't help that the waiting period includes Summer, which is the worst time for Internet posts as a lot of people have more free time than usual at once. I'll even take Rool not having his own stage as long as they dedicate time towards his moveset.

I think a Bandana Dee is more than a Japanese favorite. If I were to guess, he would be added because Kirby has exploded in popularity after Return to Dreamland, and Bandana Dee is a missing member of the Kirby crew. It honestly feels wrong not having him after him basically being integrated as the 4th member, and as Kirby’s best friend in modern games like Rainbow Curse and Battle Royal which portray him as such.
To me, it would be like having the Three Musketeers, and leaving out their leader (and de facto 4th member) D'Artagnan. This needs to be rectified.

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I really would love to know how long it took them to make the Mii costumes of Smash 4. I ask this because out of all the perceived fan favorites during the ballot (collected through online data), only K. Rool, and Ashley, got Mii costumes. I would've thought based on how much support characters like Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee got they also would've gotten Mii costumes. So that leaves me with a couple theories.

1) The Mii costumes actually do take a decent amount of time to make, and K. Rool's was based on an existing model.
2) The Mii costumes didn't take much time to make, and clearly K. Rool was a big priority.
3) Some combination of the two theories above.

I think any of these scenarios is extremely good for us. It shows that K. Rool had assets completely made for him for a different project and/or it shows that he was at the top of the list for Mii costumes. I am definitely thinking that the Mii costume could give us a lot of clues for his inclusion.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I really would love to know how long it took them to make the Mii costumes of Smash 4. I ask this because out of all the perceived fan favorites during the ballot (collected through online data), only K. Rool, and Ashley, got Mii costumes. I would've thought based on how much support characters like Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee got they also would've gotten Mii costumes. So that leaves me with a couple theories.

1) The Mii costumes actually do take a decent amount of time to make, and K. Rool's was based on an existing model.
2) The Mii costumes didn't take much time to make, and clearly K. Rool was a big priority.

I think any of these scenarios is extremely good for us. It shows that K. Rool had assets completely made for him for a different project and/or it shows that he was at the top of the list for Mii costumes. I am definitely thinking that the Mii costume could give us a lot of clues for his inclusion.
You forgot geno he got a costume too

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

You make a valid point, but I just want to argue for Dixie and Bandana Dee as my question would be, how do you make costumes for them? I can maybe see Dixie, but Bandana Dee doesn’t have any defining parts that could make for a costume except the Bandana, but then it’d just be a blue bandana. Dixie has a shirt and hat, but seeing as how no Kongs got costumes, I think it’d be weird if Dixie did.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
From the Isaac thread.

Interesting... I don't know if I should take the i don't care attitude and willingness to delete his post as a reason for it to be legit or a clever ploy to seem legitimate. Either way in wouldn't mind if it was real...

Edit: Huh. He says Soren will be "based" on Robin... I wonder if he would mean echo or semi clone. Either way it's interesting that Ike has his specific Path of Radiance look and then you'd have a character from PoR brought in aswell. Was PoR a particularly popular Fire Emblem game? I'm a very casual fan of the series so I'm not super knowledgeable in it....

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I wonder if Sakurai would do random animal noises for K Rool. I actually wasn't a fan of the Paon voice...like at all. Makes him sound like he has problems similar to DKs newer incarnation. Thats one of my main gripes about the DK characters after Rare was bought.

Time messed up their voices. DK went from this badass sounding "COOL" to just "Oooo ooo eee oooo". I still like the characters look, but the voice changes to him and Krool after all the Rare games....yeesh. DKs "NEH NEH" from Mario Kart was okay though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think new characters should take all the spotlight for Smash. To me it never made sense to even like a new character that much, especially if they're from a new franchise. Why would you like a char so much that you "just got to know"? I mean sure I can see it for franchises you like, but something completely new? Can a bond to such a character really get created in such a short time? And even if yes, it doesn't really compare to what bonds people already have with long-time existing characters that they loved and supported for all these decades.
Long story short, the amount of time something exists has no bearing on how much people enjoy it.

I'll use Decidueye as an example, since it's one of my most wanted newcomers (third, in my case). Ghost, Grass, Fairy, and Normal are my favorite Pokémon types, and Decidueye covers two of those, being a Grass/Ghost type. Owls are also some of my favorite birds, alongside toucans, ducks, and pigeons, and Decidueye is an owl. Some of my favorite fictional characters are archers, like Virion from Fire Emblem Awakening or Hawkeye from The Avengers, and a true archer is something I've always wanted in Smash (beyond just using a bow for a neutral special and then never firing it again). I also love Pokémon. As a franchise it means so much to me. I was born in 1996, right when Pokémania was about to hit the US, and I remember loving it from the start.

So the fact that Decidueye is a Grass/Ghost Archer Owl Pokémon (with a nice earthy color scheme to boot) makes it instantly appeal to me, and it's one of my absolute favorite starter Pokémon, rounding out my top four after Venusaur, Greninja, and Samurott. And of course, its abilities also make it a standout Smash contender in my eyes. Yeah, it's not my favorite Pokémon, but considering ones like Klefki or Shiftry or Chandelure straight up won't happen, why wouldn't I support a Pokémon I love that still has a chance? Just because I haven't loved it as long doesn't mean I love it less, so I give it my support.

Another big thing is timing. For characters of series with non-static casts, like Pokémon, Fire Emblem, or Xenoblade Chronicles, or small series with a recent game but no real future, like, say, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., it creates a now-or-never scenario. If they don't get in now, their series will likely move past them, shutting the door on them to enter Smash for the forseeable future. If Decidueye doesn't get in now, he's not getting in ever, as the next Smash game will be long past Alola. This isn't even something that only affects new characters either. Celica, my second most wanted character and third favorite Fire Emblem character over all, has been around since 1992, but only last year was Fire Emblem Gaiden remade as Shadows of Valentia. It had been in development since mid-2015, so it isn't a total lost cause...yet. DLC isn't even a real option for her either, as Fire Emblem Three Houses is around the corner and they'd likely opt for Byleth or Edelgard as DLC instead. This holds true for Decidueye vs a generation eight Pokémon as well.

So a character can be truly popular despite being new, and in many cases, the now-or-never factor is also at play, so why should it be held against them if they're not "supported long enough" if it may result in them never getting in at all?

I've come to the conclusion that many of these followers of weird characters just bandwagon onto them because they already have a following and support, and somehow they start liking them even more as well through this and start supporting the idea.
The same thing holds true for Takamaru or any weird retro rep, and even for K. Rool partially. Many who might not even be familiar with these characters just support them because they're the "popular trend right now that most people support".
This isn't right at all. Just because someone enjoys a character that you don't see as "worthy" of support doesn't make their support any less genuine.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
remember that smash is a series with mainstream appeal, maybe you didnt like the character, but all of them have fans, hell some third party characters or retro characters are more important to nintendo history that some of the own nintendo first party, like if pacman, megaman, ryu, hell bayonnetta has now more fans that geno or isaac, if one thing being popular with the smash fanbase that with the nintendo fanbase or mainstream video game fanbases, is why you have more people that want "meme" picks like doomguy, goku, or chosen undead, or why inkling, xeno-characters are more popular that some old smash candidates like geno or issac, is because smash and nintendo in general has a wide fanbase, example kids dont know who the **** is king K rool, or sami but they probably know inkling, or arms characters, the mainstream gamer doesnt care about some old character that appeared on a old system but they sure know Dark Souls or Minecraft, for better or worse these people like old smash fans buy smash but the thing is that they are actually the majority. simple because how nintendo is in general.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Whilst Path of Radiance never sold that well, it's considered within the Fire Emblem fanbase to be one of the best Fire Emblem games.
Gotcha, certainly seems to be a lot of love thrown in it's direction. That Black Knight Mii outfit in Smash 4, Ike returning to Smash 4 despite his game being pretty old. Now him getting his PoR look and voice actor... it's not too far out of the realm of possibility i suppose to see another character show up from it.

Still though... with all these leaks, I'm sure there's gonna be one that we all look back on and say "wow" there it was

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gotcha, certainly seems to be a lot of love thrown in it's direction. That Black Knight Mii outfit in Smash 4, Ike returning to Smash 4 despite his game being pretty old. Now him getting his PoR look and voice actor... it's not too far out of the realm of possibility i suppose to see another character show up from it.

Still though... with all these leaks, I'm sure there's gonna be one that we all look back on and say "wow" there it was
Minor nitpick, but Ike's new voice is Greg Chun, his VA from Heroes. Jason Adkins was Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn/Code Name: S.T.E.A.M./Fates/Old Smash Ike. :p

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, would K. Rool’s popularity be a factor as to why they added his costume during the ballot?

Happy 100th page, by the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom