• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we're getting a k rool themed level (either gangplank galleon or the flying kremlin) this has to be one of the songs.
or
DK64 has absolutely nothing in it found in smash 4 and that's a huge shame

Anyways either bonus room blitz or dixie beat has been confirmed (though it's likely bonus room blitz).
The DK Rap, but they cut half of it...

Still, as DK64 was my only DK game, I want waaaaaay more from that in here!
One of the main reasons why Tiny, Lanky and Chunky need to be in (after Dixie, Funky and K. Rool, of course).

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

I found this (very recent) high quality restoration of the original Stickerbush Symphony music and thought you'd all enjoy it.

A far sight better than the Brawl remix in my opinion; if we're lucky we'll get some new DKC music remasters alongside K Rool and/or Dixie.
I never realized that song was supposed to be Stickerbush Symphony until I heard Stickerbush Symphony for the first time playing through DKC2, then happened to see the track name in Brawl. I've always hated Brawl's travesty of a Stickerbush Symphony rendition.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I hated that remix too. It SO didn't do that track justice. I like Michiko Naruke's work most of the time, but that was her worst arrangement IMO

StormC

Smash Hero
I warmed up to the remix after a while but it’s a bit too far removed from the original for my tastes.

I feel like the best remixes either amplify the original feeling of the song or go in a completely new direction. The Brawl remix is kinda in the middle unfortunately.

Last edited:

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
The roughest part of waiting for the next reveal, is that while everything looks like its in K.Rool's favor (which it certainly feels and looks like), there really is no way of knowing for sure. Sakurai works in such strang mysterious ways. Ridley's inclusion feels like such a jump in the right direction, and the huge push from both the east and the west wanting the Kroc King in gives me so much hope. Yet I still have this horrid twing of doubt deep inside. First it was Brawl using his theme from DKC1. Then they put the Kritters in Smash Run. Now he has the Poll on his side, and fan favorites are looking to be the final slot fillers.

I feel so conflicted, but I've already gone too far in hoping he will be in, that if he isn't in, I just know its gonna hurt bad. I wish I could be pessimistic but it feels this will finally be the smash he makes it in.

Im not even kidding when I say this, but on the weekend, I had this nightmare where they had another Smash Direct, and Sakurai confirmed K.Rool...as part of a collab project with Whey to promote chubby people to work out. It was a truly bizarre dream to wake up from.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I want to believe this too, P PPNY . The waiting is killing me too. Especially with Smash Blog only revealing music and going over the vets.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the worst part to this is that K. Rool (if he's truly in) will likely not be the next character revealed. It'll probably be another popular pick. K. Rool seems like a character they'd save for last to generate a lot more hype. If this ends up being the case then.... We're in for a long wait.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Eh okay I love the blog but I feel like the Dojo had more interesting stuff in it, like more about new items and assist trophies. That is a very minor thing though, since we already know more about Ultimate than we did about Brawl at this point.

Off topic: it boggles my damn mind how people are still realizing today that the Smash Ballot was designed with posterity in mind. Didn't we already find out that the Japanese ballot literally translated to "for future game(s)" anyways?

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
The DK Isle theme from DK 64 would be a great song to have on a Gangplank Galleon type stage.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I'm more a fan of "fightable" music myself. This is too pretty for my taste. Maybe if it got mixed in as an interlude.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I'm deviating here, but I love brawl's version of stickerbush symphony way more than the original, but in terms of theme though i think the original fits much better with the level associated with it.

though you guys have to admit, the harmony of heroes version is a great remix of the brawl version.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I think people's problem with Brawl's Stickerbrush, is it lost a lot of its atmosphere, which is pretty iconic for the DKC2 series. I dont mind either, but Brawl's version is much more simply a "sound good" kind of song rather then a "sound good with level feel and design in mind."

Its like Lockjaw's Saga. Its not a hard song to remix, but without those sounds of water sloshing barrels around under a pirate ship, it loses the original charm. It would be like remixing Disco train without the screams or Mining Melancholy with out the intense sounds of metal smashing on metal for its bass. David Wise wanted to make you feel like you were in the level, and he basically always succeeded.

I love jamming out to a good Megaman X theme, or bobbing to Mario tunes, but DKC2 music always makes me feel such wonder, and is only ever made better by actually hearing it during gameplay.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
If there was a track from Donkey Kong 64, I wouldn't mind a remix of Frantic Factory. Always loved that world's music.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I think people's problem with Brawl's Stickerbrush, is it lost a lot of its atmosphere, which is pretty iconic for the DKC2 series. I dont mind either, but Brawl's version is much more simply a "sound good" kind of song rather then a "sound good with level feel and design in mind."
I always imagined an adventure through a tropical paradise with my closest friend, including a crystal clear swamp illuminated through the canopies above, a natural water slide into a secluded pool, and a cliffside trail with adjacent rainforest vistas in the evening complete with a rainbow. The tone is really just different and whether it be nostalgia, or something else, most people just don't seem to like it. Brawl's version isn't trying to be the same song as the original, and the two really shouldn't be compared.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I always imagined an adventure through a tropical paradise with my closest friend, including a crystal clear swamp illuminated through the canopies above, a natural water slide into a secluded pool, and a cliffside trail with adjacent rainforest vistas in the evening complete with a rainbow. The tone is really just different and whether it be nostalgia, or something else, most people just don't seem to like it. Brawl's version isn't trying to be the same song as the original, and the two really shouldn't be compared.
I mean thats just sort of it tho. The song itself was never designed to be a tropical happy theme. It was designed to be a mysterious, eerie, yet soothing theme as you explored extremely dangerous spike filled brambles. They were extremely frustrating level's so the soft melody really helped people keep their focus. Songs dont always carry the same weight with them when you change their intended ambiance. Once again, I dont dislike the new song either, I've grown to enjoy it for what it is. But they are the same song, so comparisons will be made no matter what we do. But its not really too hard to understand why it may not be as enjoyable for some.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
If there was a track from Donkey Kong 64, I wouldn't mind a remix of Frantic Factory. Always loved that world's music.
You and I are kindred spirits.

Man there needs to be more DK64 music remixed in other games. I haven't had a chance to play the new Mario+Rabbids DLC, but I know Grant Kirkhope remixed his original rendition of the DK isle theme, and I'm way excited to hear it.

Let's hope we get more than just the DK Rap in smash.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I honestly thought Bramble Blast was a more respectable remix than what they did to K. Rool's theme. K. Rool's theme is basically just the same as the original only now with instrumentation that sounds like it was performed by a live circus.

Bramble Blast is different enough while preserving the core melody. I admire what they did with Bramble Blast and think it was a really good "translation" of the original theme to Smash Bros. I want to see something similar with Aquatic Ambience.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I honestly thought Bramble Blast was a more respectable remix than what they did to K. Rool's theme. K. Rool's theme is basically just the same as the original only now with instrumentation that sounds like it was performed by a live circus.

Bramble Blast is different enough while preserving the core melody. I admire what they did with Bramble Blast and think it was a really good "translation" of the original theme to Smash Bros. I want to see something similar with Aquatic Ambience.
I think it's pretty bad simply because the transition from the first part to the rock part was made extremely subtle so it flows into it.

They missed the point of the song

Takasmash

Smash Ace
K. Rool's day is the 9th of July.
Stilling holding on hope that Dixie Kong will be playable dont get me wrong I love to see K Rool and Dixie Kong. Wouldn't surprise me if DK Reveal trailer is like Robin and Lucina trailer from smash 4. Still feel very strange that Dixie wasn't in smash 4 sense she was planned in Brawl.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I feel like the worst part to this is that K. Rool (if he's truly in) will likely not be the next character revealed. It'll probably be another popular pick. K. Rool seems like a character they'd save for last to generate a lot more hype. If this ends up being the case then.... We're in for a long wait.
I don't think they will reveal 2 villains in a row. Maybe they could if he was revealed alongside Dixie.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they will reveal 2 villains in a row. Maybe they could if he was revealed alongside Dixie.
I feel like that'd be even more reason not to show them off next. If you're going to have two big reveals (K. Rool and Dixie) then It'd be best to save them for when the game is closer to launch. Like just imagine how much hype that would generate. I think I'd lose my mind. Especially with it being so close to its release date. That's just what I think though. As long as it happens I'll be happy with whatever date they decide to reveal him.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Would not surprise me if K. Rool was one of the last characters revealed, as he is that popular, and would indeed hype up the game pre-release. He would be perhaps the best last bomb to drop before the release, to get even more instant buys.

I think perhaps September or November would be fitting, if they were hoping for more "Pre-Purchase" / "Pre-Orders" of the game.
I DO NOT see it likley that he will be a secret character in game at launch not revealed before, that would be Nintendo kicking a ball in the dark.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
By that time we'll probably get a Smash Direct and I don't think I could name a better time to reveal such a huge reveal like K. Rool. It'd just work too well. Pre-Orders would increase worldwide. Also, I don't see K. Rool as a secret fighter either. It'd be a bit disappointing to make it that way. Especially considering how much of a wanted character he is around the world. Promoting him would be a strong marketing campaign for Nintendo to help sales for Ultimate. Just keeping him a secret character would be lame.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
While it is true, that he would help boost sales, that would not be for everyone tho, that would be oblivious.
But, the ones that I know this will attract, is the core fanbase of people who have expected him, wanted him, and the old gamers who played the DKC trilogy. Young gamers today, don't really know who K. Rool is, outside of cult refrences, and perhaps all the comotion we are making, or made back during Smash 4.

It will boost sales, but perhaps not for the younger gamers who don't have a clue who he is. STILL I think that applies for Geno, and Simon Belmont too. (I know a lot of people who have no clue to who Simon Belmont even is)

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Yea I don't expect it to work for everyone, but considering most people who own a Switch is around our age, I think it'll pay off well in the end. I think this is especially true in Japan considering how popular he is over there. As for the younger generation, considering everyone is back, I think that's enough to attract their attention. Especially with all the Mario and Pokemon characters included. They'll be very satisfied. I think it'd be even better if they added another Pokemon like Decidiuye to attract even more younger fans (as S/M is still fresh on their minds) and older hardcore Pokemon fans who like him as well.

Regardless of the outcome I think everyone will be happy by the end of every reveal. I think Sakurai has already done a great job capturing almost everyone's attention to the game. Whatever he does next will just be a bonus.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

We diverge here. I don't think Bramble Blast is bad persay but I don't think it captures whatever made the original so magical. I don't dislike listening to it but whenever I do I just wish I could hear the original instead. The same is true for the Tropical Freeze remix.

The Gangplank Galleon remix however? I straight up love what they did there. The heavy rock instrumentation suits it so well and really accentuates the contrast between pirate shanty and final boss theme.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Without some marketing cool characters like Shulk, Lucario, Wii Fit, every Fire Emblem character, and even the mentioned Ness, Lucas, and Palutena probably wouldn’t have ever made it, and the game would feel weird without those strange marketing characters
I could easily live without these characters, but everyone has their own opinions of course.

I don't think new characters should take all the spotlight for Smash. To me it never made sense to even like a new character that much, especially if they're from a new franchise. Why would you like a char so much that you "just got to know"? I mean sure I can see it for franchises you like, but something completely new? Can a bond to such a character really get created in such a short time? And even if yes, it doesn't really compare to what bonds people already have with long-time existing characters that they loved and supported for all these decades.

I can easily accept newcomers that are popular, have a good reputation and a few games already. Like Pikmin, Splatoon and more.

Third parties are even worse. Things like Shovel Knight make no sense to me. Even if you think the game is fun and good. It's just a weird armor with one game that most people just experienced. Why would you want that in Smash and not something you've liked for years?
I've come to the conclusion that many of these followers of weird characters just bandwagon onto them because they already have a following and support, and somehow they start liking them even more as well through this and start supporting the idea.
The same thing holds true for Takamaru or any weird retro rep, and even for K. Rool partially. Many who might not even be familiar with these characters just support them because they're the "popular trend right now that most people support".
Obviously this is a good thing for K. Rool and I know many supporters like him because of the older DK games where he appeared in, so that at least came from more than having just one game, which might only be released in Japan, that you likely haven't even known or played, but still support that character just because he is liked by other people for whatever reason. I also like the ICs, but forcing a retro rep or even "wtf-character" every time and thinking about how cool that char would be doesn't make sense to me. They just take away from possible other spots that more popular, iconic and memorable characters should have.

Well, like I said that's just how I see it. I know I'm biased against some chars and games, but even if I liked some new ones I could easily take and understand them not joining Smash immediately because of being too recent and not having built a large enough impact/fanbase for itself.
I guess I'm also a little biased because DK is actually a big and popular franchise of Nintendo that got neglacted in Smash for too long while other series got more reps just because Sakurai seems biased (KI, FE and even Kirby a bit (especially in Brawl)). If I had my most wanteds I'd care less about who joins or not since I'd be pretty satisfied with what I have. I guess that's how it must be for many people, and they just want some new interesting chars to join.

Last edited:

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Will K Rool be reveal in this month has the rumor been proven false.
Don't get your hopes up for this.
I've followed the thing a bit on gamefaqs, and I red someone saying the author of the leak admitted it was fake.
I could not find his answer by myself though.

But seriously, there are new leaks everyday now, they are all fake.
No one knows the newcomers.

If we get a newcomer reveal in July, then that probably means 1 character peer month untill release.
I did not follow the Sm4sh Wii U pre release, so I don't know if they followed that rule, but the wait was longer if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
strange..the new STAGE from smashbros.com KONGO JUNGLE dont have DK icon and don't talk about DK at all
1530705685756.png

Must be a mistake cause we can see the cabin and the klap in the background.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Not going to lie if that is our DK stage representation I'm pretty happy with it, looks pretty damn good.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
I find it pretty doubtful we'll get any new DK stages, so I hope all the previous ones return to make up for it.
Kongo Jungle, Jungle Hijinx and Rumble Falls would be sweet, even if they are all just jungle themed levels. If K. Rool does get confirmed, I hope they add another DK stage that isn't just palm trees.

As it stands, there are only 3 Donkey Kong levels for Ultimate, which puts us 1 stage under the Kirby and Mother series.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I can definitely see Gangplank Galleon coming with K. Rool. It is strange that Pirate Ship isn't on the returning list - I preferred that one to Spirit Tracks. Also Hijinx was definitely interesting.

Would be fun to get something based on Frantic Factory or something ice-themed from Tropical Freeze too

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
It'd be great if Gangplank Galleon was sailing round DK Isles and you could see various landscapes of past levels in the background.
Failing that, any stage based on DKC2 would be great, as it's pretty much the best game in the series. Ghostly Grove and Barrel Bayou stand out in my mind, as they still evoke that country feel, but aren't your typical jungle level.

Top Bottom