• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
So I had yet another "K. Rool announced for Smash" dream. While Im a bit concerned about my mental health on the matter. Let me tell you about what I can remember of it:

-K. Rool was hilarously sized. Aroun Mario's height.
-Model was gorgeous.
-I WEPT.
-Next game announced after it was "Pikachu's 40th anniversary Adventure".
-Last game was surprisingly a different new game "Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Subspace Emissary: Part 3" It was a solo story mode with cel-shade graphics and shading like a Viewtifil Joe game. Shows Captain Falcon in a garbage dump stage an then the Chancellor talking to someone off camera. Fade to black as you can hear... no kidding, something like Waluigi's evil and echoed laugh.

Woke up a bit dissapointed but not as much since its the 4th time I dreamed about K. Rool in Smash; 2nd time since the announcement of SSBU. The subcon is a weird place, I tell ya.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Another point in the column of "they were saving the ballot for this game" is the finding that Corrin was the last character added to Wii U. That could've been a second character from the ballot, but in all likelihood, they knew the Wii U was a sinking ship. Through that lens, it makes perfect sense to save your meat and potatoes for the Switch while making an attempt to advertise FE's newest game through a character that, if they weren't DLC, probably would've been a Switch newcomer for that purpose anyway.

I wish I had the foresight then to see it like I do now. After all, there had already been job postings for "Smash 6" in early 2015.
Well considering Corrin was added because of executive meddling it's far more likely we just would have gotten one less character.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
So I had yet another "K. Rool announced for Smash" dream. While Im a bit concerned about my mental health on the matter. Let me tell you about what I can remember of it:

-K. Rool was hilarously sized. Aroun Mario's height.
-Model was gorgeous.
-I WEPT.
-Next game announced after it was "Pikachu's 40th anniversary Adventure".
-Last game was surprisingly a different new game "Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Subspace Emissary: Part 3" It was a solo story mode with cel-shade graphics and shading like a Viewtifil Joe game. Shows Captain Falcon in a garbage dump stage an then the Chancellor talking to someone off camera. Fade to black as you can hear... no kidding, something like Waluigi's evil and echoed laugh.

Woke up a bit dissapointed but not as much since its the 4th time I dreamed about K. Rool in Smash; 2nd time since the announcement of SSBU. The subcon is a weird place, I tell ya.
- Oh?
- Details! Paon design or Rare's?
- I would, too!
- I can see it now: The whole game is just Pikachu being the guest of honor at s Dean Martin-style roast, as you play sequences from his career in a series of bittersweet flashbacks...
- .....I WANT THIS.

StormC

Smash Hero
I still don't get what the big deal is, guys...

Sakurai's exact words were "Among the negotiable and realizable characters, Boyonetta was 1st worldwide"

He never even said K. Rool didn't do well. or that Bayo "Won", just that she was 1st in the EU and top 5 here, which is reasonable! Hwll, even if they DID rig it, so what? It's not like they'll say "Here's the REAL winner of the ballot!"

Even if you read what the ballot rules say, they state "We'll CONSIDER making them a payable fighter!" Not "WE WILL!"
They intentionally misled voters and consumers. Of course they didn't lie, they are smart enough to not lie by technicality. But Bayonetta was blatantly planned to be added before the ballot actually launched, while they could use the ballot to collect data for Smash Ultimate.

We spent years being called conspiracy theorists for suggesting this possibility, and now we feel vindicated. That's it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
They intentionally misled voters and consumers. Of course they didn't lie, they are smart enough to not lie by technicality. But Bayonetta was blatantly planned to be added before the ballot actually launched, while they could use the ballot to collect data for Smash Ultimate.

We spent years being called conspiracy theorists for suggesting this possibility, and now we feel vindicated. That's it.
Okay. You're vindicated.

That doesn't mean you have to be an ass about it.

Memoryman was vindicated and Daisy got into Smash too. That doesn't make him a pleasant person to be around.

And, personally, I don't think they ever meant for the ballot to get as big as it did. They might have expected that number of responses, but I don't think they had any idea that it would completely dominate the community discussions, or pull in other companies like Yacht Club asking people to vote for SK. It was meant just as data collecting, but it became much more than that.

StormC

Smash Hero
Okay. You're vindicated.

That doesn't mean you have to be an *** about it.
Who here is being an ass about it? Least of all me. I've posted in this thread like twice since the news.

People have been harassed and insulted for considering this a possibility. None of us are actually harassing and insulting people now.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Well considering Corrin was added because of executive meddling it's far more likely we just would have gotten one less character.
“The developers who work their butts off but don’t get to choose the roster had a single request” and “executive meddling” are two pretty different things.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
This news is great but also I'm glad.... I had been saying Beyo didn't come from the ballot since her reveal and I was torn apart by people both on and off Smashboards for it... I was called "salty" and an "angry K. Rool fanboy" amongst other things... I'm so glad this info has come to light because I wasn't crazy.

The ballot was for ultimate, Nintendo knew the Wii U was done when Smash Wii U wasn't selling consoles enough, and the Switch was already in motion. They told Sakurai to plan out a new game for their upcoming system which was in the release window of the next 5 years to try and make up for the losses. They planned from that moment and made the ballot to plan for the next iteration of the game while using to market the current one's DLC as a bonus. The characters chosen for DLC where already planned and chosen before the ballot. Some of the Mii costumes absolutely came from the ballot.. as a quick means to agknowledge popular ballot picks. This totally backs up what I and quite a few others on this board have been saying for years.

I'm really hoping this is our time..
it really blows my mind. king k rool has to make it now!!!!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
“The developers who work their butts off but don’t get to choose the roster had a single request” and “executive meddling” are two pretty different things.
But executives literally asked Sakurai to add a newcomer from an upcoming game so executive meddling is literally the reason we got an extra character.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He didn’t necessarily lie. He worded what he said very carefully, and that was evident even back then. Of course, detractors will take what he said at face value because it’s how they work.

Still, bodes well for actual ballot picks in Ultimate.
The ballot was never a pure popularity contest, but rather treated more like a suggestion box. Bayonetta doesn't need to have "won" in order to be a legitimate ballot choice, though there is no doubt she did well enough.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think we all accepted that they wouldn't automatically add the highest voted character or characters. It's been accepted for a long time that there were other considerations and there always will be other considerations. Heck, even if they chose K. Rool, it's likely there would be other considerations too because I really doubt he was the #1 choice overall.

Many of us have understood that popularity wasn't going to be the only thing that mattered. I've written posts on this website and others defending the plausibility of Bayonetta ranking highly. I still think it's plausible she ranked highly.

However.

The problem is that the dataminer's information suggests something further than just popularity not being the sole or most important factor. The problem is that the dataminer's findings suggest that our input never mattered at all. That they made their decision before even considering our votes in the Smash Ballot.

That is a different thing than saying fan input isn't the end-all-be-all. That is worse and it's disappointing if they did that.

Now we're not absolutely sure they did that. My first thought was that they could have chosen Bayonetta within the 2 weeks that the new ZSS slots appeared. But posts on here and the dataminers themselves have explained why that may not be likely.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Those particular miners who found this about the ballot are reliable sources

All it proves is it's not for the last smash 4 dlc character it's to help decide the newcomers for smash bros ultimate

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
it really blows my mind. king k rool has to make it now!!!!
I certainly hope so, again this puts us into another situation where the Mii costume is starting to look a lot different in terms of what it could mean..... also that instant nod from Sakurai and the smash team means K. Rool was absolutely noticed and right away on the Smash ballot given how we got the Mii costume a few months in. Not only that but one made with new assets....

This is all starting to look very good for us, not to mention the fact that other decently placed ballot characters have already shown up in a none playable role. Again i feel for those fans but overall seeing other characters with notable fan request's as ATs or thrown into a final Smash just narrows the list of requests down and moves characters out of K. Rools way. At this point I really do have a "Who else?" mentality... there aren't many characters left that people expect to see. Krystal, Takamaru, Knuckes, Bomberman, Waluigi, Lynn have all been decently supported and have all been deconfirmed. While it certainly doesn't make me super comfortable that some of those big requests got deconfimred it makes me feel like they werent chosen due to the limited spots this time and there's bigger requests to fullfill.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
- I can see it now: The whole game is just Pikachu being the guest of honor at s Dean Martin-style roast, as you play sequences from his career in a series of bittersweet flashbacks...
That sounds like it'd be a great promotional hook for a future Smash Bros. Imagine a Smash released on or near its' anniversary, with the characters all assembled at the roast of (character who's trailer we're watching), throwing some jokes out about their character, their appearance, their legacy, etc. I'm imagining Charles Martinet delivering some scathing hazing in the jaunty Mario voice. They could do this formula for newcomers, but it'd be especially awesome if they did little trailers for each character like they're doing with ultimate, where we get two or three really good jokes at the characters expense before we see a brief glimpse of the gameplay.

Mario: "Oho! Captain Falcon! A good friend of mine to be sure, and really, how could he not be? We've been in Smash since the very beginning! And let me just say, his skill, talent, and fervor for the fight hasn't slowed down or waned at any point in the 29 years we've been doing this. But that's not too surprising, is it? I mean, Mr. Falcon probably had to learn to fight so that he was known for something after not being a prolific driver in over 14 years! Waha!"

What would be some jokes you might hear at the roast of King K. Rool?

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Skyblade12 Skyblade12 , he's not being an ass about it. If anything, it's the opposite. A lot of people or at least trolls hate Donkey Kong or are indifferent to it more accurately. So, when they hear a group of fans (Us/Dixie/DK in general) complain about the lack of representation, they tell us DK and Diddy are fine and represent DK perfectly. In my case, I've had people cry and moan that I should be thankful DK has two while their E-lister from a one-off title released on the NES doesn't have anything or even giving the notion that Donkey Kong is the reason why said title doesn't have a rep in Smash. This time was worse off than Brawl because at least Diddy arrived. With For, no DK newcomer among the already strained relationship with Brawl by the general fandom and you have a period I don't wanna go back to, especially after the ESRB leak.

Now with Ultimate, the chance for a character they don't like to appear is becoming more and more likely and with less newcomers and people finally seeing the Ballot wasn't what people thought it was, those same trolls spewing salt and laughing are becoming desperate and afraid. If K. Rool does get announced, it not only proves them wrong and us right but it also outs them for what they are and also keeps a character who isn't 'irrelevant' or a meme or attracts the scaly fandom from appearing. The only reason I'm keeping my eye on this game. Ridley fans were THE fans to attack. Now that they've come up, they need another target to shoot at except this target hasn't had any statements from Sakurai period, only a costume for the last game. Ridley was the pipe dream come true, K. Rool is the potential deal breaker and something will break by the game's release. Everyone else is starting to see it and realize what the Ballot was for and who may come from it, and the trolls couldn't be any more afraid.

Things are about to get K. Rasy.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So no-one cares about the point I made about the K. Rool Mii costume earlier?

Interesting point you brought up, seeing as the K. Rool Mii costume has a bigger torso than any other Mii costume and only the K. Rool Mii costume is like this. Also, the other Mii caps are more spherical in shape in comparison to the K. Rool cap.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Don't really understand what you're trying to say. Can you explain?
Essentially, what I was responding to was the observation made by someone else that the K. Rool Mii costume didn't seem to have been made with the primary purpose of being a Mii costume and that it rather looked like an established K. Rool model that was shrunken down and had the lower jaw removed.

Untouch

Smash Master
I wonder if K Rool is going to be mentioned, or have a cameo in the new rabbids DLC.
It's DK focued, and I can't really think of any other bosses for DK, the snowmads are kind of irrelevant.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I wonder if K Rool is going to be mentioned, or have a cameo in the new rabbids DLC.
It's DK focued, and I can't really think of any other bosses for DK, the snowmads are kind of irrelevant.
Nothing, there's no sign of the Kremlings in it at all and as far as I can tell no K. Rool references but to be fair there's really not much of any enemy references aside from Tiki Rabbids. If there was Snowmad references, Tikis and still no Kremlings I'd be concerned

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Essentially, what I was responding to was the observation made by someone else that the K. Rool Mii costume didn't seem to have been made with the primary purpose of being a Mii costume and that it rather looked like an established K. Rool model that was shrunken down and had the lower jaw removed.
Interesting. Do we have any comparisons to other costumes? Are none of the other Mii costumes from the same set made like that? Still, it'd make sense if it was a texture they might want to revisit if they add him, especially if they made it from scratch as a nod to the fans.

If K. Rool gets in his Mii costume hat will be re-used as a Kirby hat I bet.
Absolutely. It already looks like one (Like many of those, but still.)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Interesting. Do we have any comparisons to other costumes? Are none of the other Mii costumes from the same set made like that? Still, it'd make sense if it was a texture they might want to revisit if they add him, especially if they made it from scratch as a nod to the fans.

Absolutely. It already looks like one (Like many of those, but still.)
The Bird Man mii costume is made from an existing model of the Bird Man. The Magicant stage was originally going to feature 3D Bird Men but the hardware of the 3DS had a hard time with them. So they made them 2D sprites and repurposed their models to be mii costumes

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The Bird Man mii costume is made from an existing model of the Bird Man. The Magicant stage was originally going to feature 3D Bird Men but the hardware of the 3DS had a hard time with them. So they made them 2D sprites and repurposed their models to be mii costumes
Oh I know the K. Rool model is clearly unique in how it was made, I was just wondering (and now I notice I responded to the wrong quote from them) about the statement about the torso being much wider than other Mii costumes, signifying it was likely built as an original model, not explicitly for a Mii costume.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422873627/smash-bros-ultimate

Just for fun here's a fresh "leak" posted today gotta love how they say Simon is being revealed at the end of the month just so that way their "leak" can try to live a few weeks ha ha ha ha.
Oh hey, a leak with Banjo, K. Rool *and* Dixie. I'll take what I can get!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm guessing the thread title is in light of the recent revelation on the Ballot right?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So no-one cares about the point I made about the K. Rool Mii costume earlier?
I don't know what to think about the costume's size but I do think it's interesting that the worst-looking parts of the model are where accommodations had to be made to fit it onto the Miis. Like, the head itself looks great, but the crotch and leg area appears to be stretched, with little to no consistency in the scale textures.

Anyhow, with regard to the data files, I hope when people sit down to write articles or do YouTube videos about this, they don't fixate on whether Sakurai "lied" or whether the ballot was a "sham," but rather objectively try to piece the timeframe for these games' development.

Maybe Omega Tyrant Omega Tyrant and others can explain better, but as far as I understand, work was necessary on Bayonetta's file even before it was added two weeks after the ballot opened. Is the volume of that work such that it 100% would've had to start before the ballot opened? Or could they have waited maybe a few days or one week into the ballot, gotten very, very early results and then proceeded with her as a "winner?"

If it's the former scenario, and Bayonetta was preplanned, you could question whether Nintendo was already projecting her to do well in the ballot or whether they lucked out, at least with an unknown number of "unrealizables" ruled out. In the latter case, she could've been performing very well at the time she was chosen (with the large number of early votes coming in), or she could've just been the easiest (and most marketable) to develop off of a shortlist of realizables with existing assets or veteran character bases.

Some people already have progressed from saying the dataminers are lying to just going "who cares, it was years ago, and Sakurai did the right thing by adding Bayonetta because I like her." Which, again, this shouldn't be a values judgment on her character, but there's a lot to unpack here and it'd be a shame to not find out more because the focus is instead on criticizing/defending Sakurai and the ballot.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This video as well as this one should help you. Also this picture as well.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It's already out.

King K. Rool doesn't get mentioned. Rabbid Kong is the primary antagonist and DK and Cranky are the only relevant Kongs.

Some of the weapons do reference the likes of Squawks and Enguarde, however.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422873627/smash-bros-ultimate

Just for fun here's a fresh "leak" posted today gotta love how they say Simon is being revealed at the end of the month just so that way their "leak" can try to live a few weeks ha ha ha ha.
Wart is on that leak....you know....I honestly would be cool with Wart as playable, but the fact he's even on it makes me disregard it, yet at the same time seems like something so far out there that it could happen.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
This news is great but also I'm glad.... I had been saying Beyo didn't come from the ballot since her reveal and I was torn apart by people both on and off Smashboards for it... I was called "salty" and an "angry K. Rool fanboy" amongst other things... I'm so glad this info has come to light because I wasn't crazy.

The ballot was for ultimate, Nintendo knew the Wii U was done when Smash Wii U wasn't selling consoles enough, and the Switch was already in motion. They told Sakurai to plan out a new game for their upcoming system which was in the release window of the next 5 years to try and make up for the losses. They planned from that moment and made the ballot to plan for the next iteration of the game while using to market the current one's DLC as a bonus. The characters chosen for DLC where already planned and chosen before the ballot. Some of the Mii costumes absolutely came from the ballot.. as a quick means to agknowledge popular ballot picks. This totally backs up what I and quite a few others on this board have been saying for years.

I'm really hoping this is our time..
Don't you mean, our finest hour ;)

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Wart is on that leak....you know....I honestly would be cool with Wart as playable, but the fact he's even on it makes me disregard it, yet at the same time seems like something so far out there that it could happen.
Wart is that character I want, but believe has 0 chance of showing up due to his complete disappearance from the Mario series... a series that loves to reuse it's characters...

I would love for Wart to show up.

Top Bottom