• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
Congrats man. I'm trying to K. Rool and some of my other mains into Elite Smash. My online experience has been pretty much a rollercoaster though I did get pretty close with Bowser and Yoshi. What is the minimum for Elite Smash? Is it 4.2 or 4.3 million? I will get there eventually however long it takes. One of the things I have run into and now despise is someone who has it set to Stamina with 3 stocks. I went against a Fox player who kept using U-tilt on me the whole match and it pissed me off. So which characters you go against give you the most headaches?
It's around 4.3 million. The screencap I took indicates when I hit it. This site tracks GSP:

https://www.elitegsp.com/

Handy Man

Smash Ace
By the way, I think you lads might like this.
It still weirds me out that King K. Rool can be casually dropped right next to the rest of the Smash mainstay characters, and it's suddenly considered normal. I'm so used to King K. Rool being a part of the "ballot group" consisting of characters like Isaac and Geno, that seeing him be just another character in the actual Ultimate roster makes me realize how lucky we are. All of the fan art of King K. Rool since his announcement wouldn't have been done if he wasn't a playable character, and with the same thing happening for other characters like Piranha Plant and Joker, it just goes to show that being a part of the all-star lineup is all it takes to get any sort of attention from the community. It's been over eight months and I still can't believe it, I wonder when the fact that he's just another character in the game will finally settle in. For me, I think a new Donkey Kong Country game with King K. Rool as the villain will make him seem more natural of a choice. For now, it's still surreal to me that he came back after all these years, despite how ignored he was outside of us supporters.

Kulty

Smash Ace
It still weirds me out that King K. Rool can be casually dropped right next to the rest of the Smash mainstay characters, and it's suddenly considered normal. I'm so used to King K. Rool being a part of the "ballot group" consisting of characters like Isaac and Geno, that seeing him be just another character in the actual Ultimate roster makes me realize how lucky we are. All of the fan art of King K. Rool since his announcement wouldn't have been done if he wasn't a playable character, and with the same thing happening for other characters like Piranha Plant and Joker, it just goes to show that being a part of the all-star lineup is all it takes to get any sort of attention from the community. It's been over eight months and I still can't believe it, I wonder when the fact that he's just another character in the game will finally settle in. For me, I think a new Donkey Kong Country game with King K. Rool as the villain will make him seem more natural of a choice. For now, it's still surreal to me that he came back after all these years, despite how ignored he was outside of us supporters.
I hope the next DKC has K Rool as a vilain too and take inspiration and have unique ideas just like DKC2 and Tropical Freeze. Also, please fix the bonus rooms just like the classic SNES trilogy. The bonus rooms system in Returns and Tropical Freeze is just not that great tbh. I do not know why you can't even retry the bonus stages once you lose.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Remember when the game first came out and everyone was complaining about how busted King K was?

Good times.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Hey, with this fancy new Stage Builder maybe we could manage an actually convincing Gangplank Galleon.
I know I for one tried making one in Wii U and it was laughably bad.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Hopefully we've got some buffs coming our way. His nerfs were super unnecessary imo.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Looks like Rool got a ton of buffs. Thank goodness!
For those of you who are curious:
  1. F-Air and F-Tilt: Increased the high-damage range
  2. Up Throw: No longer affected by the wind while throwing
  3. Side Special: Reduced the power against shields (yikes that`s kind bad)
  4. Down Special: Reduced vulnerability when the counter succeeds. Reduced vulnerability when the counter fails
  5. Up Air Attack: Reduced vulnerability.
GOD BLESS THESE BUFFS. They may not fix K Rool`s main issues, but I`ll take it. :D

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
For those of you who are curious:
  1. F-Air and F-Tilt: Increased the high-damage range
  2. Up Throw: No longer affected by the wind while throwing
  3. Side Special: Reduced the power against shields (yikes that`s kind bad)
  4. Down Special: Reduced vulnerability when the counter succeeds. Reduced vulnerability when the counter fails
  5. Up Air Attack: Reduced vulnerability.
GOD BLESS THESE BUFFS. They may not fix K Rool`s main issues, but I`ll take it. :D
I saw these earlier and, while I'm glad to not see nerfs, none of this is what he needed (though I'm excited to check out the buffs to gut check).

KRool's real problem is that he has basically nothing to stop, say, Pichu from jumping on him and eating his face. The problem with his competitive viability comes from the fact that most competitive players aren't going to spend hours upon hours labbing a character that can be hard countered so easily.

Bowser, Ganon, and DK may have hard matchups against speedy characters, but none of them get juggled with no real recourse like KRool does. Even Nair can't save him as a "GTF off of me" move.

He needs something to poke with, something without so much endlag that most speedy characters can just jump over and punish him for using it. Until he gets that, I'm worried for his competitive future (unless someone discovers a whole new way to play him that no one else has even considered, which is highly unlikely).

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Baby steps.

This patch didn't feel quite substantial in the balancing department, but there are still plenty to come.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Yeah, it's true that gut check and up air have less endlag but it's not by much. Maybe buffs to f-air and f-tilt were intended to improve pokes? I dunno, I don't think what he got is gonna do much for his performance. But this patch had a buttload of content so it makes sense there's not gonna be a huge amount of change to existing balance when they already gave us a brand new character + stage and a beefy new mode

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
I’ve been playing the 3.0 update since it came out- gotta day it’s nice to actually feel like some of my most used moves have range. Much more uair offstage doesn’t equate to auto suicide.

Love the quality of live approach they took here. Glad to see they didn’t just nerf the “braindead noobkiller”. Good to see they’re in the loop enough to understand krool isn’t doing so hot.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Curious if the reduced lag of uair helps with high recovery.
It helps going under fd and bf without using airdodge

Kulty

Smash Ace
I saw these earlier and, while I'm glad to not see nerfs, none of this is what he needed (though I'm excited to check out the buffs to gut check).

KRool's real problem is that he has basically nothing to stop, say, Pichu from jumping on him and eating his face. The problem with his competitive viability comes from the fact that most competitive players aren't going to spend hours upon hours labbing a character that can be hard countered so easily.

Bowser, Ganon, and DK may have hard matchups against speedy characters, but none of them get juggled with no real recourse like KRool does. Even Nair can't save him as a "GTF off of me" move.

He needs something to poke with, something without so much endlag that most speedy characters can just jump over and punish him for using it. Until he gets that, I'm worried for his competitive future (unless someone discovers a whole new way to play him that no one else has even considered, which is highly unlikely).
Yeah. I wish they still reduced the endlag on aerials and their landing lag, but I'll take what I'll get. They increased the active frames of F-tilt and F-air, which is alright. It will help K Rool so much to keep up against speedy characters like Pichu if he has less lag on the ground and in the air. Regardless, I still haven't tried K Rool in the 3.0.0 patch due to the servers being so slow last night, but I'll try it tonight.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah. I wish they still reduced the endlag on aerials and their landing lag, but I'll take what I'll get. They increased the active frames of F-tilt and F-air, which is alright. It will help K Rool so much to keep up against speedy characters like Pichu if he has less lag on the ground and in the air. Regardless, I still haven't tried K Rool in the 3.0.0 patch due to the servers being so slow last night, but I'll try it tonight.
The active frames remain the same, I believe, but the active strong hitbox stays out longer.

More than anything, I'm hoping the buffs to counter will help as nothing sucked like reflecting M2's shadowball only to have him reflect it back at us and being unable to act while it hits us.

EDIT: So I feel like Joker is going to be another giant PITA for KRool: he's quick, his SHdair does a great job avoiding KRool's dsmash, and he can go ridiculously deep in order to finish stocks off the ledge.

Thank god his pigeon form has no hitbox so you can Bair him in the face if you time it right.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
The active frames remain the same, I believe, but the active strong hitbox stays out longer.

More than anything, I'm hoping the buffs to counter will help as nothing sucked like reflecting M2's shadowball only to have him reflect it back at us and being unable to act while it hits us.

EDIT: So I feel like Joker is going to be another giant PITA for KRool: he's quick, his SHdair does a great job avoiding KRool's dsmash, and he can go ridiculously deep in order to finish stocks off the ledge.

Thank god his pigeon form has no hitbox so you can Bair him in the face if you time it right.
Yes, after testing out K Rool, he feels about the same, but the reduction of endlag on UpAir and Gut Check is really noticeable. UpAir endlag has been reduced by 30 frames (82 to 52), and Gut Check endlag has been reduced by 5 frames.

Indeed, based on the first few days of testing:ultjoker:and fighting the character, he's going to be quite an annoying MU for :ultkrool:. He's fast, he combos like Sheik and he can go deep offstage to contest K Rool's recovery, and you have to be smart when using Krown and Blunderbuss against Joker, since he can use Rebellious Gauge to get Arsene really quickly. The strategy against him is to play defensively against him when he has Arsene, and force Joker to approach you. Yes, he may have a counter and reflector just like our King, but that's our way to stand a chance against him. Once he no longer has Arsene, he becomes much more manageable as just like:ultsheik:, he will struggle to take out the stock, and bc we arguably have the best survivability in the game out of any character, it's going to be quite a pain for him. However, he does have kill confirms even without Arsene and kills slightly earlier than Sheik, so yikes. Overall, he seems pretty annoying, but we have to figure other strategies to counterplay as Joker is further optimized. :)

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Yes, after testing out K Rool, he feels about the same, but the reduction of endlag on UpAir and Gut Check is really noticeable. UpAir endlag has been reduced by 30 frames (82 to 52), and Gut Check endlag has been reduced by 5 frames.

Indeed, based on the first few days of testing:ultjoker:and fighting the character, he's going to be quite an annoying MU for :ultkrool:. He's fast, he combos like Sheik and he can go deep offstage to contest K Rool's recovery, and you have to be smart when using Krown and Blunderbuss against Joker, since he can use Rebellious Gauge to get Arsene really quickly. The strategy against him is to play defensively against him when he has Arsene, and force Joker to approach you. Yes, he may have a counter and reflector just like our King, but that's our way to stand a chance against him. Once he no longer has Arsene, he becomes much more manageable as just like:ultsheik:, he will struggle to take out the stock, and bc we arguably have the best survivability in the game out of any character, it's going to be quite a pain for him. However, he does have kill confirms even without Arsene and kills slightly earlier than Sheik, so yikes. Overall, he seems pretty annoying, but we have to figure other strategies to counterplay as Joker is further optimized. :)
One of the more annoying aspects of the K. Rool Joker MU is that Joker's f-tilt can somehow bypass K. Rool's f-tilt armor. I don't get why either, the first hit of the f-tilt hits the armor, but the second hit bypasses it and hits K. Rool directly.

Kulty

Smash Ace
One of the more annoying aspects of the K. Rool Joker MU is that Joker's f-tilt can somehow bypass K. Rool's f-tilt armor. I don't get why either, the first hit of the f-tilt hits the armor, but the second hit bypasses it and hits K. Rool directly.
Oh really? I never knew that. From my experience, I rarely see Joker players use F-tilt, but it's good to know. :)

ChippityChopp

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
1346 8403 1620
Welp, my Genesis 6 run is over. I placed 65th out of 392 teams in doubles with my brother Dynomyte, and 257th out of 2,103 people in singles. I’m happy with how I did with King K. Rool, but I still have a lot to learn going forward. I can’t wait to get some more practice throughout the weekend!

Plus, I got a snazzy custom King K. Rool controller, made by Controller Chaos.

View attachment 189807
Is this something you can purchase?? If so I'd definitely like to.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
participated in a rather big discord tournament(went 0-4 and got knocked out fairly fast using K.Rool/Bowser)

first set up i used bowser against a palutena main and got decimated

second set i went up against A Pokemon trainer/Pikachu player

lost to PT with rool and then lost to pikachu with bowser

didn't stand a chance against the Palu and fighting against PT with k.rool felt like an annoying chore

i was playing on no sleep and by the pikachu match i had practically given up(didn't help that the second set was against A European player so Lag was quite obvious)

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i know i know but feels like my loss was already decided....Palutena against bowser is a difficult match up for bowser

all of this got to me to question myself as K.Rool since i don't think anyone else in that tournament used him or even thought of him as something they'd have to think about

i thought about palutena so much to the point that when i did fight her....i just groaned

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Palutena is a rough match up for heavies period, but that shouldn't keep you from still trying. I've gotten wins off of players using her in sub tournaments despite :ultridley: being the definition of combo fodder/N-air food. Online isn't the ideal setting ever or for any match up so I can't say much, but patience works wonders.

On a related note, Mr. Bones had a great solo :ultbowser: run, and was able to upset/knock out Samsora out of winner's side at Come to Papa 3 this weekend.

Heavies have their work cut out for them, but they've been making more and more waves in recent weeks.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
If it makes anyone feel better, I recently placed 1st in a doubles tournament with my brother Dynomyte, out of 10 teams. I only used King K. Rool, and Dynomyte only used Yoshi. Here is the VOD of the tournament as well if people want to watch our matches. Timestamps are included in the spoiler tab below:

00:08:34 - Round 1, Game 1
00:12:28 - Round 1, Game 2
00:15:30 - Round 1, Game 3

02:12:44 - Winners Final, Game 1
02:16:48 - Winners Final, Game 2
02:21:03 - Winners Final, Game 3

03:36:45 - Grand Finals, Game 1
03:41:18 - Grand Finals, Game 2
03:46:31 - Grand Finals Reset, Game 1
03:50:02 - Grand Finals Reset, Game 2
03:53:50 - Grand Finals Reset, Game 3

00:18:02 - 2v1 King K. Rool Comeback
02:24:48 - Cannon Vacuum Yoshi Back-air Combo
03:55:19 - Yoshi cannonball kils another Yoshi

Is this something you can purchase?? If so I'd definitely like to.
Unfortunately, the King K. Rool controller doesn't appear to be for sale on the Controller Chaos website. I purchased it at the Controller Chaos booth back at Genesis 6, but I guess it was made specifically to be sold at conventions and tournaments. It was also not cheap, with me purchasing it at $160. These controllers are very high quality, with the King K. Rool custom having a nice matte finish, but they are expensive as a result.

Kulty

Smash Ace
If it makes anyone feel better, I recently placed 1st in a doubles tournament with my brother Dynomyte, out of 10 teams. I only used King K. Rool, and Dynomyte only used Yoshi. Here is the VOD of the tournament as well if people want to watch our matches. Timestamps are included in the spoiler tab below:

00:08:34 - Round 1, Game 1
00:12:28 - Round 1, Game 2
00:15:30 - Round 1, Game 3

02:12:44 - Winners Final, Game 1
02:16:48 - Winners Final, Game 2
02:21:03 - Winners Final, Game 3

03:36:45 - Grand Finals, Game 1
03:41:18 - Grand Finals, Game 2
03:46:31 - Grand Finals Reset, Game 1
03:50:02 - Grand Finals Reset, Game 2
03:53:50 - Grand Finals Reset, Game 3

00:18:02 - 2v1 King K. Rool Comeback
02:24:48 - Cannon Vacuum Yoshi Back-air Combo
03:55:19 - Yoshi cannonball kils another Yoshi

Unfortunately, the King K. Rool controller doesn't appear to be for sale on the Controller Chaos website. I purchased it at the Controller Chaos booth back at Genesis 6, but I guess it was made specifically to be sold at conventions and tournaments. It was also not cheap, with me purchasing it at $160. These controllers are very high quality, with the King K. Rool custom having a nice matte finish, but they are expensive as a result.
To support his point, I went to a local tournament last weekend. And I just used :ultkrool: without using any other character (I also use:ultmario:, but I wanted to try solo K Rool). I almost made out of my pool, but I was pretty happy with my performance still. I still need to work on the :ultmewtwo::ultmegaman::ultlink: matchups, but I outplayed a :ultsnake:and:ultpalutena: in my pools. I placed 25th out of 51 entrants due to my solid results in pools. A K Rool life main can be tough, but that doesn't mean that I will give up. I always tell myself and assume that K Rool is the best character and that I can beat anyone using him only. I am still learning him and from my defeats, but I really think K Rool needs to be further optimized since I don't think he's to his full potential yet. I still need to implement some tech in a tournament set like Krown Bouncing, Krown Sliding and Krown Squatting. :)

Kulty

Smash Ace
sadly no pro is gonna take the time to use K.Rool during a major tournament
I don't think they see everything that K Rool can offer. I haven't seen a:ultkrool:player using advanced techniques like Krown Squatting and Krown Bouncing. I'm not sure how much it will help K Rool, but it definitely has its uses. It's just that I don't know anyone using these techs.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
even some commentators still feel the need to dump on K.Rool when he shows up
I mean tbh all us K.Rool supporters should've known K.Rool would get those type of reactions/snarky comments. Remember all the hate and vile we got for even wanting this character in Smash (even though he should've been in a LONG time ago...)? K.Rool (unfortunately) has always been a love/hate character. It's sad (and I will never understand why) but it's the truth.

You either love and appreciate that his character design isn't the standard Nintendo cute and cuddly (though part of me feels it's still in there), that he has an actual personality (most Nintendo fans seem to like their characters to be boring blank slates), that he balances both comedy as well as cruelty and kinda has no redeeming qualities (that's what makes him the a great villian). Or you don't and hate him because either you don't enjoy any of the things I listed above or you didn't grow up with the character so you don't understand why people enjoy the character the way that they do.

K.Rool IMO falls in the same category as other Nintendo characters like Pearl, Tingle, Birdo, Waluigi, Daisy, Krystal, Corrin (as well as a lot of the Fates cast), and Pyra/Mythra. You either love them or hate them for a lot of the same reasons I listed above (character designs, don't like the games their from, or don't like their personality). I personally love all Nintendo characters and love how rich and diverse Nintendo's cast of characters CAN be.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
even some commentators still feel the need to dump on K.Rool when he shows up
I'm not trying to bash you dude, but does every post you make on this thread have to be about a negative outlook on how pro players view K. Rool as low tier trash? Because in my opinion who cares if he sucks or not to them because I will be playing and kicking *** with him as long as I'm playing this series.

There's more to talk about a character than just their placement on the tier list. I'm sorry.

I mean tbh all us K.Rool supporters should've known K.Rool would get those type of reactions/snarky comments. Remember all the hate and vile we got for even wanting this character in Smash (even though he should've been in a LONG time ago...)? K.Rool (unfortunately) has always been a love/hate character. It's sad (and I will never understand why) but it's the truth.

You either love and appreciate that his character design isn't the standard Nintendo cute and cuddly (though part of me feels it's still in there), that he has an actual personality (most Nintendo fans seem to like their characters to be boring blank slates), that he balances both comedy as well as cruelty and kinda has no redeeming qualities (that's what makes him the a great villian). Or you don't and hate him because either you don't enjoy any of the things I listed above or you didn't grow up with the character so you don't understand why people enjoy the character the way that they do.

K.Rool IMO falls in the same category as other Nintendo characters like Pearl, Tingle, Birdo, Waluigi, Daisy, Krystal, Corrin (as well as a lot of the Fates cast), and Pyra/Mythra. You either love them or hate them for a lot of the same reasons I listed above (character designs, don't like the games their from, or don't like their personality). I personally love all Nintendo characters and love how rich and diverse Nintendo's cast of characters CAN be.
I don't care about what the haters think about K. Rool, I'm just glad we were blessed enough to have finally get him in this game. And I'm with you, I prefer a majority of what is left from Nintendo's catalog than almost every possible 3rd party reps.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
the only thing i wish is that some of his moves not be so punishable that's all i want at this point

At least some get out of jail card when you are getting pressured that's all K.Rool really needs right now

Top Bottom