• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
*me when someone says K. Rool actually isn't well known because little kids never got to the final boss in DKC*
Well... I only beat DKC as an adult lol but always read the game magazines at the time, and I really liked K. Rool even so. I always enjoyed the Kremlins.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
spoilerowl spoilerowl I've been a supporter of K. Rool for eleven years, acknowledging the games he's come from and his character. This is the words of a disgruntled supporter of both King K. Rool AND Donkey Kong: There's no guarantee that he's going to be playable, and I need remind myself of how many times I've been burned in hope of him appearing let alone being playable. Brawl, absent. Eh, life goes on. Returns, absent. Not an issue at the time. Tropical Freeze, absent. Worried. Not a fan of Diet K. Rool. Smash For, absent, very worried and outright agitated. DLC finishes, costume. Threw in the towel at that moment. There IS a bias against Donkey Kong. Look what happened when Rare left Nintendo. A batch of spin-off titles and experiments that were met with disdain and indifference. Missing a whole generation and not having a mainline developer causes a problem and a disconnect.

Since you mentioned Ridley? There is a developer or at least a person who Sakurai can go to and discuss his inclusion in Smash. Tropical Freeze didn't get that, and Dixie is considerably easy to implement if Smash is anything to go by. If there were a developer for DK, not necessarily Retro but someone who was regularly making mainline DK games and not spin-offs, we could have had K. Rool in by now. Returns opting not to have K. Rool in in hindsight was the killing blow to his chances. And back to TF, not being Japanese hurt the chances of Donkey Kong getting enough representation and it's bad enough that Nintendo only saw it fit for one game to induce the nostalgia in gamers and realized there was more to it than just the name, even with its stripped-down elements (Only ONE animal buddy to DKC1's four, and this applies to TF too???). I honestly stand by the notion that they didn't even want Tropical Freeze to happen, only doing so out of obligation to Returns' success. Look at Jungle Beat and you'll see they've been somewhat disconnected and distant when it came to Rare's interpretation of Donkey Kong. Namco and PAON showed this isn't a Japanese issue, but Nintendo in general. They slowly are starting to realize that there is demand for DKC done the right way and with the fans being vocal about the lack of Kremlings, hence Diddy's absence from the recent Mario titles which is a good thing, lest people think DK is a Mario spin-off and by extension DK and Diddy Mario characters. It would not surprise me if that's how Sakurai sees it as well and for the most part, at least the PAON games established DK has a different world, IP and characters from the Mario character. Hate on the games as much as you like, but they serve a purpose in giving DK a separate identity from Mario. Look at Yoshi and Wario (Which I'm also a fan of). You'd be hard-pressed to find Wario Land material in Smash that isn't the shoulder barge or a very minuscule reference (They even removed it in For).

I really don't wanna get hopeful only to get burned again. I'm waiting for a new DK game to drop so I have an excuse to buy a Switch, preferably with the Kremlings. I'll take that before K. Rool appearing in Smash, but if K. Rool does show up on the base roster, keyword BASE roster, I'll eat my words and acknowledge Sakurai listened for once. If he tries to sell Rool as DLC, I'm not buying nor supporting it. DLC to me is another way of saying "We couldn't finish the game on time but here, we'll give you the rest of the game's content for just X amount of dollars!". I've never liked DLC and as of the recent shenanigans with Nintendo and DLC, I'll pass this time. Give me a new DKC with the Kremlings and I'll be good. Worse, DLC means you also get a Bayonetta situation where you HAVE to buy him in order to win against him. Again, I love the series and the characters but I do not want to get hopeful and I've been hopeful with Ridley's inclusion but I remember that anything can happen. Remember the Green Hill Zone models of Tails, Knuckles and Silver in Brawl? They had just as much detail as Sonic. It's definitely like Sakurai to put details in small things, just to say "Hey, I did this thing.". That's my stance on the K. Rool costume and K. Rool's chances in this game. Dixie is probably the best DK will get, and even then...

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Jurae818 Jurae818 Perhaps I was being a bit harsh. But your concerns, while some of them are valid, are a bit too on the pessimistic side. I'll address a few of them:

First, the majority of K. Rool supporters don't believe he's guaranteed. Far from it, in fact. But a combination of the Ballot, the Mii costume, and Ridley have given his fans some genuine hope to hold on to for the first time, if just a little.

Next, there is no inherent bias against DK from Nintendo or Sakurai. They aren't schoolyard children holding grudges, they're professional developers. Rare leaving put DK in an awkward spot, and the Paon games never went near Rare's level of success with the franchise. Retro eventually did, but for better or for worse they chose to have different antagonists. Understandable in retrospect but unfortunate for Rool's current situation. But still, no petty grade-schooler "bias" or anything like that.

Finally, your stance on DLC seems a bit silly. For some games and developers, yes that absolutely is the case. But they've made it clear that development on DLC does not start until the main game is long since finished. From a marketing standpoint, it's a way of keeping up hype and interest in the game for long after release. And from the fan perspective, it allows more of their beloved characters to join the roster, while not having the base game take like an extra year to come out. So K. Rool being DLC, while it would be disappointing at first for the base game, would be a positive point long-term as it would prove that they acknowledged how popular he is and how well he'd sell, much like Mewtwo last time.

cybersai

Smash Ace
A lot of Smash Ultimate's roster definitely seems like it's going to be characters considered around Smash U's development time or the ballot, simply because we know Sakurai started thinking about this game way back in 2015, before even all the DLC like Bayonetta even came out.

Since 2015 the only breakout new franchise was Splatoon, so of course we have the Inklings. Everything else new since then was only in concept stage in 2015 like ARMS, or Xenoblade 2 characters, etc...so they obviously would not have been considered back then. So that leaves popular requests like Ridley who we have, Dixie who is in Tropical Freeze, K. Rool's popularity, or other requests from last time like Ashley, Geno, etc.

When you stop think about it the timing is perfect. We know Sakurai finalizes rosters very early on, and by 2015 most of the likely choices would just be leftover characters who didn't make it into Smash U. The only other exception would be Captain Toad who I want and game came out in 2015, but I dunno if the Toad's on Peach/Daisy's moveset would conflict with that.

So if you think about big requests from 2015, we got Ridley of course, Inklings of course, the cut characters like Wolf/Snake etc, and the only other big ones I can think of are Dixie, K. Rool, Ashley, Geno, Toad, etc. I also think Waluigi being an Assist back then killed his chances since people decided not to vote for him in the ballot since they knew he had no chance, and Krystal made it as an Assist this time.

I don't know, I think now's a great chance for K. Rool. In the off-chance we don't get him in the base roster, we have DLC and this time around I think support will get him in.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
spoilerowl spoilerowl I've been a supporter of K. Rool for eleven years, acknowledging the games he's come from and his character. This is the words of a disgruntled supporter of both King K. Rool AND Donkey Kong: There's no guarantee that he's going to be playable, and I need remind myself of how many times I've been burned in hope of him appearing let alone being playable. Brawl, absent. Eh, life goes on. Returns, absent. Not an issue at the time. Tropical Freeze, absent. Worried. Not a fan of Diet K. Rool. Smash For, absent, very worried and outright agitated. DLC finishes, costume. Threw in the towel at that moment. There IS a bias against Donkey Kong. Look what happened when Rare left Nintendo. A batch of spin-off titles and experiments that were met with disdain and indifference. Missing a whole generation and not having a mainline developer causes a problem and a disconnect.

Since you mentioned Ridley? There is a developer or at least a person who Sakurai can go to and discuss his inclusion in Smash. Tropical Freeze didn't get that, and Dixie is considerably easy to implement if Smash is anything to go by. If there were a developer for DK, not necessarily Retro but someone who was regularly making mainline DK games and not spin-offs, we could have had K. Rool in by now. Returns opting not to have K. Rool in in hindsight was the killing blow to his chances. And back to TF, not being Japanese hurt the chances of Donkey Kong getting enough representation and it's bad enough that Nintendo only saw it fit for one game to induce the nostalgia in gamers and realized there was more to it than just the name, even with its stripped-down elements (Only ONE animal buddy to DKC1's four, and this applies to TF too???). I honestly stand by the notion that they didn't even want Tropical Freeze to happen, only doing so out of obligation to Returns' success. Look at Jungle Beat and you'll see they've been somewhat disconnected and distant when it came to Rare's interpretation of Donkey Kong. Namco and PAON showed this isn't a Japanese issue, but Nintendo in general. They slowly are starting to realize that there is demand for DKC done the right way and with the fans being vocal about the lack of Kremlings, hence Diddy's absence from the recent Mario titles which is a good thing, lest people think DK is a Mario spin-off and by extension DK and Diddy Mario characters. It would not surprise me if that's how Sakurai sees it as well and for the most part, at least the PAON games established DK has a different world, IP and characters from the Mario character. Hate on the games as much as you like, but they serve a purpose in giving DK a separate identity from Mario. Look at Yoshi and Wario (Which I'm also a fan of). You'd be hard-pressed to find Wario Land material in Smash that isn't the shoulder barge or a very minuscule reference (They even removed it in For).

I really don't wanna get hopeful only to get burned again. I'm waiting for a new DK game to drop so I have an excuse to buy a Switch, preferably with the Kremlings. I'll take that before K. Rool appearing in Smash, but if K. Rool does show up on the base roster, keyword BASE roster, I'll eat my words and acknowledge Sakurai listened for once. If he tries to sell Rool as DLC, I'm not buying nor supporting it. DLC to me is another way of saying "We couldn't finish the game on time but here, we'll give you the rest of the game's content for just X amount of dollars!". I've never liked DLC and as of the recent shenanigans with Nintendo and DLC, I'll pass this time. Give me a new DKC with the Kremlings and I'll be good. Worse, DLC means you also get a Bayonetta situation where you HAVE to buy him in order to win against him. Again, I love the series and the characters but I do not want to get hopeful and I've been hopeful with Ridley's inclusion but I remember that anything can happen. Remember the Green Hill Zone models of Tails, Knuckles and Silver in Brawl? They had just as much detail as Sonic. It's definitely like Sakurai to put details in small things, just to say "Hey, I did this thing.". That's my stance on the K. Rool costume and K. Rool's chances in this game. Dixie is probably the best DK will get, and even then...
Yes yes yes!
I'm not a fan of dlc, smash Ultimate will have so much content, so I think dlc is unnecessary, but I also think that the game is being rushed because Nintendo has no other games they can give us, so they force Sakurai to develop the newest smash as fast as possible and because of that he said that wr shouldn't except too many newcomers which means dlc is a given...
I could have waited a bit longer for smash to be honest, then Sakurai could implement all the characters he wants and add a story mode, he could also take it easy then, I mean that man is always complaining when developing a new smash title.
I have Japanese friends and they themselves keep telling me that most Japanese are racists, I mean there are even restaurants with signs that are saying "only Japanese" or "no foreigners allowed" lol.
So I do believe Nintendo and Sakurai don't like DK. When jungle beat came out, Koizumi the director of the game said he only wanted to use DK and no characters or things that rare created. Nintendo eventually realized that they cannot make money with the dk franchise like before because people loved the rare stuff too much, so they decided to give us dkc returns, but even there only dk, diddy, cranky and rambi returned, they didn't want to use too much stuff from the rare times, so they left the kremlins out. They did a mistake when they left the kremlins out again in tropical freeze, the game didn't sell that well compared to returns even though it's the Superior one and david wise's soundtrack is amazing. They have to put more effort into dk series and bring the kremlins back and they have to make a dk game like breath of the wild or Odyssey, because if not, I think the dk series will die...

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
What the heck is even a Donkey Kong 64, right?:troll:
I always forget about DK64... and then I remember it because of posts like this, and get sad.

Having said that, if K. Rool does make it in, he'd owe a lot to DK64, since, well, yeah, he was shrouded in mystery throughout the DKC trilogy (silhouetted in the first two games' manuals, and straight up not mentioned in DKC3's, with the ploy that KAOS was the new villain). But DK64? He was featured heavily in the intro, his mechanical island is shaped as him, and we see cutscenes throughout the adventure of him and his loyal bumbling subjects.

I wouldn't be surprised if most K. Rool fans who support his inclusion the most grew up with DK64 moreso than the original DKC trilogy. I for one was never really into DK64, so maybe that's why I'm not as fervent a supporter of K. Rool (I mean, I'd still love it, don't get me wrong, DK is my favorite franchise after all). But I do feel he's extremely likely anyway, I'm just... eh, DK64 isn't my jam.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Not sure about that, DK64 is my least favorite of all the "main" DK games, simply because Rare went collect-a-thon crazy and the worlds just weren't designed as well as Banjo Kazooie or the other N64 era 3D platformers were.

I was very glad to see K. Rool return as the main villain in King of Swing and Jungle Climber though, since those are his only two most recent games he appeared in as the main villain. I didn't mind him sitting out of Jungle Beat or DKCR or Tropical Freeze, it's nice to see new villains from time to time. I do hope if we get a DKCR 3 to finish up the new trilogy that he and the Kremlings return though.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yeah, DK64 is my only DK game so...

That's really where I know K.Rool best from. And also the DK Crew, who all need to make reappearances (sidenote: still not over Tiny's redesign).

I would like to get some stages/music based on some DK64 things as well. All we have now is the DK rap, which they cut the original (bring it back!) to replace it with that weirdly remixed and cut (BAD!) version.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not sure about that, DK64 is my least favorite of all the "main" DK games, simply because Rare went collect-a-thon crazy and the worlds just weren't designed as well as Banjo Kazooie or the other N64 era 3D platformers were.

I was very glad to see K. Rool return as the main villain in King of Swing and Jungle Climber though, since those are his only two most recent games he appeared in as the main villain. I didn't mind him sitting out of Jungle Beat or DKCR or Tropical Freeze, it's nice to see new villains from time to time. I do hope if we get a DKCR 3 to finish up the new trilogy that he and the Kremlings return though.
Still beats Earthworm Jim 3D.

That said, I do hope both of those last things happen. Kirby can have its entire supporting cast show up for an anniversary game (I know that Prince Fluff, Galacta Knight, Claycia and Elline aren't shoo-ins yet, but it's only a matter of time), so why can't DK's do so as well? :hulk:

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool's lesser level of prominence in the SNES games is sort of a product of the times, in that those games didn't feature big cinematic intro cutscenes with the final boss, but rather just hinted at them in the manual or an early-game letter. In 64 and the Paon games, that changed, and likely would in future appearances too.

In any case, I object to the little kids point mostly because, as with most posts about how little kids perceive and play Smash, it generalizes a large and eclectic playerbase based on the argument a hardcore user wants to make, usually to play devil's advocate against other hardcore users. As far as it pertains to K. Rool, I think he's about on par with Ridley or Wolf in terms of recognizability among Nintendo fans, maybe less so since he stopped appearing regularly but not as though some brain waves wiped him entirely from fans' minds.

What's more, some casual DKC fans might not have reached his boss fights, but if they can make it past the first Goomba equivalents in the first levels of each game, they've encountered members of the Kremling Krew, of whom he's the clear representative. Given his army's prominence in the classic games, especially 2, I think those fans can put two and two together and peg the imposing crocodile wearing a crown as the series' big bad.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
DK64 is my least favorite of the core Rare games but I would still support K. Rool regardless because of, well, everything else; the fun boss battles, crazy costumes, goofy animations, and just being an essential part of the series that is still missing despite Nintendo saying "no crocodiles."

Plus he got two boss battles in both DKC2 and 3, adding even more weight to his role in the story. That iconic "true" ending of DKC2 ends with K. Rool escaping and laughing ominously. Things like that add far more character than Generic Boss Battle ever could.

The cartoon also does a lot to keep K. Rool in the minds of casual fans, or people who didn't even play the games.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
My main issue with DK64 is just how wacky and cartoony the tone got when compared to the cinematic platformers that were the Snes games. It's hard to imagine that Aquatic Ambience and the DK Rap are from the same franchise.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Red K. Rool is so wrong.

I always forget about DK64... and then I remember it because of posts like this, and get sad.

Having said that, if K. Rool does make it in, he'd owe a lot to DK64, since, well, yeah, he was shrouded in mystery throughout the DKC trilogy (silhouetted in the first two games' manuals, and straight up not mentioned in DKC3's, with the ploy that KAOS was the new villain). But DK64? He was featured heavily in the intro, his mechanical island is shaped as him, and we see cutscenes throughout the adventure of him and his loyal bumbling subjects.

I wouldn't be surprised if most K. Rool fans who support his inclusion the most grew up with DK64 moreso than the original DKC trilogy. I for one was never really into DK64, so maybe that's why I'm not as fervent a supporter of K. Rool (I mean, I'd still love it, don't get me wrong, DK is my favorite franchise after all). But I do feel he's extremely likely anyway, I'm just... eh, DK64 isn't my jam.
To be fair, DKC2 has more K. Rool than you're saying. Remember he gives you a letter in the first level of DKC2 and there's a picture of him inside that little cabin. The island also has many K. Rool faces on it all along the adventure. The Kremligns being a big part of DKC2 is part of the reason why it is so often well remembered. It was Diddy and Dixie's game but it was also their game, too.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
My main issue with DK64 is just how wacky and cartoony the tone got when compared to the cinematic platformers that were the Snes games. It's hard to imagine that Aquatic Ambience and the DK Rap are from the same franchise.
I never felt that way. Yeah DK64 was little more cartoony (which is why I like the game so much because it oozes charm and personality) but to me as a kid DK64 felt like the same DK I loved from Country but in 3D. DK64 while has it share of problems the tone, character, music, presentation, and personality aren't a part of it. I loved DK64 as a kid it was one of the first games I fully completed that being said I re-played it when it came to Wii U VC and yeah it's not as good as I remembered in the gameplay and camera departments. Still fun IMO if you can get around all the tedious collectibles and terrible camera and if you're in the mood. lol

D

Deleted member

I'd really love if DK attempted another 3D platformer, but this time with a "course-clear" level layout, as that I feel fits the DK franchise better. Mario probably does "sandbox" better.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I played Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, DK64, and Mario 64 in high school so I have no nostalgia from childhood attached to them and my ranking is Kazzoie = Tooie>>>>Mario 64>DK64. I didn't care for DK64 all that much and Mario 64 has aged so poorly and it's successors so much better that I wasn't too keen on it either while Kazooie and Tooie were still fantastic and blew me away.

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
In the chance that King K. Rool gets confirmed for Ultimate, what would you celebrate the moment with? I've been having daydreams of the moment that he gets confirmed, usually with ones of me freaking out with tears of joy in my eyes. I also thought about parading in my house with a crown and cape and blaring "King K. Rool's Finest Hour" (sounds childish but I don't care).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
In the chance that King K. Rool gets confirmed for Ultimate, what would you celebrate the moment with? I've been having daydreams of the moment that he gets confirmed, usually with ones of me freaking out with tears of joy in my eyes. I also thought about parading in my house with a crown and cape and blaring "King K. Rool's Finest Hour" (sounds childish but I don't care).
Probably with a sigh of relief more than anything. I mean obvious a **** yeah sort of moment before hand, but the realization that my top 2 got into Ultimate, and both had so many people gunning against them the whole way will push me to just be happy there’s no more disappointment or arguments to be had.

Cue replaying the trailer and watching people react for the next month until another character is revealed. And also putting more support behind Geno and Isaac.

StormC

Smash Hero
I would probably spend hours obsessing over every frame and screencap of his appearance in the game, then look up videos and fanart and whatnot.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
I would probably spend hours obsessing over every frame and screencap of his appearance in the game, then look up videos and fanart and whatnot.
I can see myself doind exactly that too. I lost the count of how many times I have watched the E3 reveal and all the characters trailers. The SSBU randomly plays on my head.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'll probably rip my shirt off again like I did with Ridley. I'll try to wear cheap shirts for directs from now on.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Do you guys think a character will be shown off at evo? maybe a certain reptilian of royalty?

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Kazooie>Mario 64>>Tooie>>>>DK64

I just never have fun playing DK64. I feel like I spend way too much time switching between kongs, which is just not fun for me. Kazooie is a damn good 3D platformer, better than Tooie which feels like the worlds are massive with nothing happening in them. Also Mario 64 is amazing.

If you tossed in Spyro I would say that it would be up there in the upper half.

Anywho I feel Ryu was not at EVO due to Nintendo not having a new game on the horizon. DLC is not as hype as a new game. We might get something at EVO, if not something in August.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Plot twist his bday present is black shadow as a ganondorf echo with the old smash attacks.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Considering Nintendo of today wants to push more their esports scene. Maybe for this EVO, they will do something more besides bringing the same old Ultimate demo and put some pros to play it with items on.
As for the theme, its not obligatory. It would be a nice touch that they showed a fighting game character if they have one ready, like Heihachi. Or they could just show anyone they know it would bring the hype regardless *cough*youknow*cough*whoImtalkingabout*cough*. At the same time, an Isabelle echo fighter announcement is what I would expect the least.
Alas, we got some chances for this EVO for some news. Otherwise, we will be pulling our hairs for yet another month talking about fake leaks.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Plot twist his bday present is black shadow as a ganondorf echo with the old smash attacks.
I'd actually be okay with that honestly. In fact I was secretly hoping during Smash 4 they would give Black Shadow Ganondorfs moveset and gave Ganondorf a completely new moveset. Granted that didn't happen. But I was always secretly hoping..

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As someone that actually got all the Golden Bananas in DK64, it was not only the weakest of Rare's home console DK offerings, but the weakest of their 3D platformers. The only 3D platformer of Rare's I still like is Banjo-Kazooie. Tooie and especially DK64 were way too bloated with the collecting and switching.

You are on point about the DKC trilogy and DK64 feeling like two completely different series. The DKC trilogy was moody and atmospheric, while DK64 was pretty much Banjo with Kongs and Kremlings thrown in (heck, I think Fungi Forest was a leftover Banjo world idea). Its a shame because I am not sure even Returns and Tropical Freeze capture the magic the original DKC trilogy had.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I will not lie of K. Rool gets revealed in Ultimate... there's a very real chance I may get emotional....

See, I've always had my FAVORITE character in Smash Yoshi has been in from the start and I know he's not going anywhere. Because of that I've never experienced a character getting in that I really wanted. K. Rool is my second favorite Nintendo character and favorite villain. I would get to experience something I've waited for since Smash 64 (always hoped K. Rool was unlockable when I was a kid) and I honestly might get a little misty eyed over it. K. Rool represents a lot of good memories for me from when I was little, he represents my childhood playing SNES with my mom. It would be great for me.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I will not lie of K. Rool gets revealed in Ultimate... there's a very real chance I may get emotional....

See, I've always had my FAVORITE character in Smash Yoshi has been in from the start and I know he's not going anywhere. Because of that I've never experienced a character getting in that I really wanted. K. Rool is my second favorite Nintendo character and favorite villain. I would get to experience something I've waited for since Smash 64 (always hoped K. Rool was unlockable when I was a kid) and I honestly might get a little misty eyed over it. K. Rool represents a lot of good memories for me from when I was little, he represents my childhood playing SNES with my mom. It would be great for me.
You should totally do a reaction video if that comes to be! It would be amazing to see so much passion! :chuckle:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
You should totally do a reaction video if that comes to be! It would be amazing to see so much passion! :chuckle:
I may... I do have a Twitch ha ha and I do plan on mainly playing Smash. Maybe I'll do a live reaction ha ha ha so everyone can see me cry over a video game character

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
For what it's worth, no Smash 4 newcomer reaction really floored me, but "Everyone is here!" and Ridley's reveal both took me for a loop. A K. Rool trailer would be that times ten for me.

And hot take, DK64 is one of the best of the 3D platformers on the N64. Yes, it was bloated with collectibles, but I don't see that as a problem when the entire game was designed around it. More of a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

My biggest criticism looking back is a couple recycled bonus challenges, and the Tag Barrel - if the game ever gets remade I hope the Tag Barrel is redesigned, or that Kong-switching can be done on the fly.

B-T > DK64 > B-K > SM64 for me, though I love all of them. I replay those first three every year.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have Mario 64, DK 64, and Banzo-Kazooie. Out of the three, Mario 64 is by far the most enjoyable.

Banzo-Kazooie - Lighting is bad. Hard to see in some levels (notably the Dungeon). Controls can be difficult too. I think most of it is limitations for its time. Still a fun game but I never finished it. I feel that if this game was updated, it would be more enjoyable.

DK 64 - I agree the switching is a pain but it is better to see and get around. The switching characters is an interesting mechanic. My biggest complaint and reason why I didn't finish the game is the requirement to beat the classic arcade games.

Mario 64 - I got the 120 Stars. It is addicting, engaging, and the controls are decent. The music is great. IMO it is #3 in my all-time Mario game list (after SMB3 and Super Mario Galaxy).

Top Bottom