• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Other than the Riddle leak, does anyone else recall any previous leaks that featured Isabelle and Simon?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Other than the Riddle leak, does anyone else recall any previous leaks that featured Isabelle and Simon?
Tehponycorn over in the General Discussion thread compiled a bunch of them. I think it was about a dozen, but half of them have a July expiration date.

StormC

Smash Hero
I actually like when the alt colors go bat**** crazy rather than play it safe. I was disappointed all of Palutena's alts kept her hair green. I'd feel the same way if all of K. Rool's alts kept his scales green.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think the mii costumes are the biggest clue to predicting the newcomers

King K rool
geno
isabelle
hieichi ( however you say it )
I'm also calling that chrom will be an echo fighter of lke. I mean they played around with the idea in the reveal trailer for robin and a reference to that in palutinas guidance.
all those plus Ashley would be my guess's

and the chrom and echo of Ike theory

very very possible sakurai might do that just because of this joke

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey guys,

This thread is gone and we know it was up there before.
That's interesting. I know I did see it

I'm not sure if that means something or not though

---

Also Isabelle isn't changing my mind toward any character. I'm just not going to believe someone's word based on such little evidence.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
K. Rool is literally the last big villain to be added to Smash. All other villains are minor or less popular. I mean I still really want Skull Kid for a new Zelda rep, but it just doesn't seem that likely.

If neither Dixie nor K. Rool get in this time, something is definitely up. I don't believe Sakurai dislikes the DK franchise, but Dixie literally just got a new game and K. Rool is just popular and is a villain.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Isabelle is in guess what? It's looking even better for K. Rool because a theme is starting to show....

Inkling's - Mii Costume in Smash 4

Isabelle - Mii Costume in Smash 4

King K. Rool - Mii Costume in Smash 4....

It would really start to look like Sakurai made some Mii costumes for characters that had ballot popularity and possibly characters he planned on using in the future.. if anything Isabelle is a great sign
Unfortunately, that concept is heavily flawed, since Knuckles and Takamaru are Assist Trophies in Smash Ultimate.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, that concept is heavily flawed, since Knuckles and Takamaru are Assist Trophies in Smash Ultimate.
We've talked about this and I'm pretty sure most of the conversation post-E3 has taken that into account. (As in, characters that were costumes that also survived the reveal round are safer.)

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Man all these "leakers" most have a bad case of Parkinson's disease they should all go to a doctor so they can get treatment for all these shaky hands so they can take better more clear and coherent pictures.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Three years ago today, Sakurai made it clear to the world that King K. Rool was not viable or realizable for Smash Bros. in the form of a pelt - I mean costume for the Mii Fighter.

Time flies.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Three years ago today, Sakurai made it clear to the world that Inklings were not viable or realizable for Smash Bros. in the form of a pelt - I mean costume for the Mii Fighter.

Oh wait...

Though in seriousness it is an odd thing to remember. We all collectively were disappointed and even disgusted by the Mii costume for K. Rool back then, some even going as far as boycotting it. But now for Ultimate it's sort of a beacon of hope. Same can be said for Geno fans, and probably a few others like Ashley, Heihachi, Isabelle, etc.

Let's just hope K. Rool is on the "Inklings" side of that trend as opposed to the "Knuckles" or "Takamaru" side.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yet somehow, this community gets BTFO every game
To quote a certain reviewer, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times and I'm a complete goddamn buffoon!".

Three years ago today, Sakurai made it clear to the world that Inklings were not viable or realizable for Smash Bros. in the form of a pelt - I mean costume for the Mii Fighter.

Oh wait...

Though in seriousness it is an odd thing to remember. We all collectively were disappointed and even disgusted by the Mii costume for K. Rool back then, some even going as far as boycotting it. But now for Ultimate it's sort of a beacon of hope. Same can be said for Geno fans, and probably a few others like Ashley, Heihachi, Isabelle, etc.

Let's just hope K. Rool is on the "Inklings" side of that trend as opposed to the "Knuckles" or "Takamaru" side.
Given that, I still think people are underestimating the possibility of Akira showing up, even if other Sega characters can and will easily get in over him first.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
http://is2.4chan.org/v/1532827289680.jpg

Here is the image. I find it hard to believe, but it is kinda "nice" to see some fake leak with K. Rool at least.
I have not found a single thing that looks even remotely close. At first, I thought it was the pic of the Mii costume but it looks very different and it's posed differently.

Have we finally found a halfway-decent leak that doesn't use the Paon model with different coloring?!

Three years ago today, Sakurai made it clear to the world that King K. Rool was not viable or realizable for Smash Bros. in the form of a pelt - I mean costume for the Mii Fighter.

Time flies.
Can't believe they will never add the Inklings. I thought they were shoo-ins.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It's an edit of the mii costume made by a Japanese person a long time ago. I remember seeing it on twitter after the mii costume was released.

Last edited:

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I never really bought the idea that Mii costumes were supposed to be consolation prizes, myself. Characters like Fox and Link got ones in spite of already being playable.

That tells me that the thought process behind them wasn't "this character is popular but we can't make them work/we don't want to include them, do a costume instead", but probably something closer to "this character is popular and a Mii costume based on them would probably sell".

cybersai

Smash Ace
Mii costumes are better than Assist trophies. Assist trophies are usually the death knell for a character, with Little Mac being one of the only (?) exceptions of an Assist becoming a full playable character.

Mii costumes are hope, it shows signs Sakurai knows the characters are popular/requested but didn't have development time for them. That's why I think K. Rool, Ashley, Geno and possibly Isabelle and Captain Toad are likely. It's also one of the reasons I'm glad neither Dixie nor K. Rool were ever Assist trophies in past games, people would have seen that as representation but I would have seen that as, "deaths door."

Assist trophies seem to doom most characters, look at Waluigi.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac being one of the only (?) exceptions of an Assist becoming a full playable character.
Little Mac and Charizard so far are the only characters who were in some sort of summonable assist role (A Poké Ball Pokémon in Zard's case, an Assist Trophy in Mac's) before being made playable in a later game.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Assist Trophies are an acknowledgment from the development team. And when it comes down to it, Mii costume, assist trophy, boss character, -- it's better to be acknowledged by the Smash team instead of not getting anything at all.

If K. Rool had gotten an AT, I would have said that was a good sign for him for this game, too.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I don't know, Dixie's never been seen in anything outside of the actual trophies, but never an Assist trophy and people still think she's likely.

StormC

Smash Hero
I never understood why people think being an AT is a death sentence going forward. The character roster of each Smash game is the first thing decided on - ATs come in way later. Sakurai doesn’t make the design document with the items of the last game in mind. If a character doesn’t get promoted it’s because Sakurai continues to not see merit in them as a fighter.

With all these MIA ATs, we could very well see a few more promotions this time around.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
spoilerowl spoilerowl The difference here is Splatoon was a hot, new and 'relevant' IP that outsold Sakurai's precious Fire Emblem with only one game and another game selling just as good. That alone aligns with Smash's criteria to a T. Can't say that about K. Rool.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
if that was real and that's how k rool looked... my god that design looks baaaddddd. even for the rare look.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
spoilerowl spoilerowl The difference here is Splatoon was a hot, new and 'relevant' IP that outsold Sakurai's precious Fire Emblem with only one game and another game selling just as good. That alone aligns with Smash's criteria to a T. Can't say that about K. Rool.
First of all, what are you doing in a K. Rool support thread if you feel this way? There's a line between being pessimistic and just being contrarian.

Donkey Kong is Nintendo's 5th-best selling series, so what's your point? That K. Rool himself has been absent from the Retro games that explicitly took a different direction? That Sakurai has some mustache-twirling bias against the DK franchise? We definitely haven't been down that road before in this thread...

With all your misgivings taken into account, how do you explain Ridley? And don't even try to spin that he got in due to "Metroid relevance" or something like that, the series was pretty much dead in the water at the time that Ultimate's project plan was finished.

cybersai

Smash Ace
It is kinda weird knowing DK is one of the only older Nintendo franchises with still only 2 reps.

Mario has many, Zelda has many, Metroid now has 3, Kirby has 3, Starfox has 3, Fire Emblem many, Kid Icarus 3, Pokemon many, etc. I mean outside of obvious one-shot character reps or newer franchises, DK is the only classic franchise just sitting on 2 reps.

It just looks so awkward.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, Ridley ha

Oh wait...

Good god those Inkling outfits are ****ing disgusting looking. At least King K. Rool barely works, but those just look creepy.

This only furthers my beliefs that Mii costumes are not in any way, shape, or form a substitute for playable character, and are almost more of an insult to the fan base of that character. I know we probably shouldn't hate on the costumes that much, but the more I look at some of them, the more I realize how awful several do look. I also still just hate the Mii fighters, so I'm probably even more biased against them in basically every possible situation.

If characters become playable out of their Mii costume appearances though, I'll have a different respect for them. Inklings got the upgrade, and if Vergeben is to be believed, so has Isabelle. Add King K. Rool, Geno, and Ashley to that list of characters making the jump and I'd be pretty happy.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I understand why they might not want to do this, but I think it would be better to simply make the mii hat a mii head, even if it has limited or no animation. Especially for characters like Mii Isabelle, mii K. Rool, Mii Tails, animal characters, the mii outfits woudl be more servicable if a human head weren't poking out.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I understand why they might not want to do this, but I think it would be better to simply make the mii hat a mii head, even if it has limited or no animation. Especially for characters like Mii Isabelle, mii K. Rool, Mii Tails, animal characters, the mii outfits woudl be more servicable if a human head weren't poking out.
After thinking about it because of the Geno mii costume, the reason I came to for them not wanting to do that is because mii's have customizable faces. And it would defeat the purpose of that if it was just covered up

But then I remembered about the Majora's Mask head item that covers the entire face

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
After thinking about it because of the Geno mii costume, the reason I came to for them not wanting to do that is because mii's have customizable faces. And it would defeat the purpose of that if it was just covered up

But then I remembered about the Majora's Mask head item that covers the entire face
Yeah. The MM may have been a special case.

I also think besides the reason you mentioned, they may be wary of creating "third rate" newcomers. Like imagine if we got a Tails costume that was akin to a costume of the Disney characters at Disneyland. Like completely covered, no holes for the Mii's face, but no expressions or unique animations either. Maybe they're wary of that being taken "poorly" in the fanbase or diluting the "prestige" of the character choices.

That the Mii costumes are explicitly costumes, that is, it's obivous a Mii is wearing them may be the team acknowledging, "this isn't what you wanted, and this isn't a substitute, but perhaps you will enjoy this in the way you might enjoy merchandise of your favorite character".

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason geno was a costume was because Square was only going to get one real rep in. And while geno is a huge fan favorite for mario fans, it really doesnt do a great job in representing what Final Fantasy is all about. Square getting Cloud in made much more sense in a business perspective for Square, while the Mii outfit atleast gave some closure for geno fans ((in the sense of at least letting them know Geno was in mind))

Smash Ultimate has a much greater chance of giving Geno, now that both sega and Capcom have second reps as well. I really hope that we get a mallow Assist Trophy or something involving Smithy's Gang.

That being said, the Mii outfits really should only be taken with a pinch of salt. They dont confirm or de-confirm any character. I do think the reason K.Rool's gives everyone so much hope is because of the relevancy argument. Most other mii outfits are of assist trophies, more recent characters or third party representation. But K.Rool's really feels like it comes out of left field, considering the most he gets in Smash games is just a basic Trophy. The only reason it seems to be in as at the very least that the Smash Crew is aware of K.Rool's popularity to some extent. It doesn't guarantee him a spot, but its rather impressive in comparison to other outfits.

That being said, I haven't seen much discussion about K.Rool's odd ability to turn invisible and teleport? In both DKC2 and DK64 they sort of popped out of nowhere.

StormC

Smash Hero
That being said, I haven't seen much discussion about K.Rool's odd ability to turn invisible and teleport? In both DKC2 and DK64 they sort of popped out of nowhere.
Could work as a roll/dodge, but non-diehards might go "why is the goofy crocodile teleporting?"

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Did somebody say Red K. Rool?

*me when someone says K. Rool actually isn't well known because little kids never got to the final boss in DKC*

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did somebody say Red K. Rool?

*me when someone says K. Rool actually isn't well known because little kids never got to the final boss in DKC*
If it wasn't for me, none of the kids in daycare would have seen the end of ANY of the DKC games

I was the only one that could beat the bramble stages and I was the only one that could beat the K Rool boss fights. And I was the one that found the majority of the Kremlin Koins.

DKC3 especially since I was the only person that could beat those stages where the water reversed your controls.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm sure all of the little children who played Metroid definitely knew who Ridley is and eagerly anticipated his addition to Smash.

Top Bottom