• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
No, he did not. He just said there would be no cuts.

Which isn't much of a guess since most people thought it would be little more than a port
oh. well he still has credibility behind him. he is the only leaker I somewhat trust as of now

cybersai

Smash Ace
That's a pretty big assumption.
10 newcomers is still less than every Smash. Honestly if we don't get at least 8 newcomers not counting echoes, it's going to be very disappointing. Part of the hype of every Smash is new characters and Sakurai knows that.

StormC

Smash Hero
10 newcomers is still less than every Smash. Honestly if we don't get at least 8 newcomers not counting echoes, it's going to be very disappointing. Part of the hype of every Smash is new characters and Sakurai knows that.
10 unique ones is more than what Melee got, which is 8. I absolutely don't expect more than 8.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
10 newcomers is a little much. I'm predicting eight plus two Echos and I feel really iffy about that.

Really the only characters I'm confident that will be joining at this point are Geno, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, and Isabelle as an Echo Fighter. I think a lot of people would be satisfied with that for a base roster. More can always come as DLC.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
Being a K. Rool supporter was always this hard? I always wanted him, but now that he seems to really have a chance, I'm more anxious than ever.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If you want to see a character shift from being discussed but doubted, watch Isabelle in the coming days. People talked about her but for whatever the reason, her being a pacifist or Villager covering most obvious AC potential, not that many people predicted her. Now, because Vergeben says she's in, she's going to be in every damn leak and upward of 90% next time RTC gets to her.

Makes me wish there would be a K. Rool rumor that doesn't instantly out itself as fake by recycling the Paon trophy model...you'd see a similar effect for him too.
May as well take this time to reiterate that I've been calling Isabelle "the most likely newcomer after Inkling" since before the first trailer dropped. :p

cybersai

Smash Ace
Sakurai said he had trouble coming up with a moveset for Villager since Animal Crossing obviously isn't an action series, I doubt Isabelle is going to have a unique moveset so if she's just one of the echoes it doesn't really interfere with development time for new characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sakurai said he had trouble coming up with a moveset for Villager since Animal Crossing obviously isn't an action series, I doubt Isabelle is going to have a unique moveset so if she's just one of the echoes it doesn't really interfere with development time for new characters.
Coming up with a moveset wasn't the issue, rather it was the pacifistic nature of Animal Crossing in general. He loosened that restriction in 4, allowing Villager to show up. A moveset was never the problem.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I guess the important thing is just how many newcomers we're getting, The less newcomers, obviously the more competition. That's one of the reasons people also think there won't be any NES retro rep this time around, if there's a limited newcomer roster Sakurai is probably only going to pick the most popular characters leftover circa around 2015 or so.

Between Tropical Freeze coming in 2014 for Dixie, and K. Rool's popularity in the ballot (and the latter could account for Ashley and Geno too), I think there's a strong chance for two DK characters. Especially if Dixie shares some moves with Diddy ala Falco/Wolf to Fox.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Is it smart or just vain that I don't trust things that say nothing about K. Rool? It's literally either he's a well kept secret or he's not in...

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Time to start cross referencing all the leaks that previously mentioned Isabelle I suppose.

cothero

Smash Lord
What's up with this discution about Isabelle being a pacifistic? People wanted Professor Layton back in Smash 4 and he's one of the most pacifistic characters EVER created. The only problem i see is her moveset potential, wich is why i think she would be more suitable as an echo.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If Isabelle is in guess what? It's looking even better for K. Rool because a theme is starting to show....

Inkling's - Mii Costume in Smash 4

Isabelle - Mii Costume in Smash 4

King K. Rool - Mii Costume in Smash 4....

It would really start to look like Sakurai made some Mii costumes for characters that had ballot popularity and possibly characters he planned on using in the future.. if anything Isabelle is a great sign

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Isabelle (a potential echo) literally does not change my opinion on K. Rool. I still think he's super likely with or without Isabelle.

An echo is a character with a similar build to an already existing character that can be added into the roster to please fans and save development time.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Isabelle is in guess what? It's looking even better for K. Rool because a theme is starting to show....

Inkling's - Mii Costume in Smash 4

Isabelle - Mii Costume in Smash 4

King K. Rool - Mii Costume in Smash 4....

It would really start to look like Sakurai made some Mii costumes for characters that had ballot popularity and possibly characters he planned on using in the future.. if anything Isabelle is a great sign
Unfortunately, Takamaru also had a Mii costume in Smash 4 and yet he's still an Assist Trophy in Ultimate. I don't think it means anything.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Unfortunately, Takamaru also had a Mii costume in Smash 4 and yet he's still an Assist Trophy in Ultimate. I don't think it means anything.
In fairness, Takamaru had nowhere near the same amount of popularity as someone like Isabelle or the Inklings.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Vergeben say 6 new characters were left to be announced? Simon and Isabelle now take up two of those slots.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Didn't Vergeben say 6 new characters were left to be announced? Simon and Isabelle now take up two of those slots.
If Isabelle is taking up a spot (Echo Fighter or not), I'm willing to bet the remaining four will be Geno, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, and Elma. Rip my Banjo-Kazooie prediction.

But yeah, again I'm very confident in K. Rool and Geno being characters. They've both been two of the biggest requests since the Brawl days along with Ridley.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
In fairness, Takamaru had nowhere near the same amount of popularity as someone like Isabelle or the Inklings.
True, I just wanted to keep up awareness that having a Mii costume doesn't necessarily mean you're a surefire addition for Ultimate. I'm still confident in K. Rool's inclusion either way, he's one of the few remaining potential newcomers who could bring about major hype for fans worldwide with his inclusion and he must have done well enough in the ballot to get a Mii costume as a consolation prize, acknowledging the demand for him.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If Isabelle is taking up a spot (Echo Fighter or not), I'm willing to bet the remaining four will be Geno, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, and Elma. Rip my Banjo-Kazooie prediction.

But yeah, again I'm very confident in K. Rool and Geno being characters. They've both been two of the biggest requests since the Brawl days along with Ridley.
He said at miminum 6 more characters

There's a chance there's a couple more slots he doesn't know about

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't see the fuss over Isabelle being playable, even if she weren't to be an echo fighter. I always figured she makes sense as a newcomer given just how much of a 3DS-era Breakout Character she became. And no, contrary to what some people believe, her inclusion would not signify an advertisement-oriented newcomer roster direction. Ridley wasn't an advertisement character, Daisy wasn't an advertisement character and the Inklings certainly aren't here to fill an advertisement quota, so why would a character like her be any different. the only thing I'm concerned about is seeing if she'll bring anything new gameplay-wise (should she be playable). Outside of that, I'd think she'd be a neat and cute addition to the roster.

Isabelle shouldn't be a cause for concern for anyone here. Even if she's not an echo character, she honestly makes more sense as a well-known new character to add than others in that mold...Elma, for instance.

While people are discussing rumors, I want to bring attention to what I believe to be a legitimate leak, by a GameFAQs user who has said some pretty interesting things. Start here, on post 67 in this thread, and read everything else loz18 has to say over the following pages.

Before E3, loz accurately leaked:

--Everyone is here
--OoT Ganondorf with a sword USmash
--Mario getting Cappy
--Much of Inklings' moveset
--Stage selection before characters
--Link having a regular grab and rollable bombs
--Moray Towers
--Parrying after perfect shields
--Spammed dodges becoming slower

He wasn't spotless in that thread, to be fair...he said wavedashing appeared to be back, something we now know likely isn't the case, and said there was a strong indication there would be reveals at the E3 tournament. But I think he's clearly proven access to one or more sources that at the very least had access to the demo.

In that thread, he also comments he's heard strong indications of a Heroes vs. Villains theme, describing that as "something that's been floating around." Which makes me think...remember when the Imgur rumor, full of bizarre character choices like Porky and Goroh as part of a Heroes vs. Villains theme, came out, and multiple well-connected mods and users here and on ResetEra wouldn't immediately dismiss it as garbage (before someone who works at a third party company said he knew some of its newcomers weren't in)? I'm willing to bet they, too, heard about that theme way back when. And if it's legit, I do think it's as close to a K. Rool confirmation as you could feasibly get, unless they just go out of their way to have villains who aren't him.
The last part is actually pretty interesting and would actually make sense if the theory discussed sometime ago about the K. Rool costume possibly being an established model have any weight to them.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
No a Mii costume doesnt guarantee anything but as it's been said here many times the k. Rool costume is a wierd case with its unique assets... either way Sakurai had stated he wanted to use Takamaru but didn't because he thought he was too obscure.. it's looking more and more that Mii costumes were characters Sakurai found interesting and considered/was considering

Geno
Takamaru
Haihachi

Were all mentioned by Sakurai as characters he wanted to use at some point. All of them received Mii outfits, now 2 character's from Mii costumes would have reached playable status if Isabelle is in... that's pretty good odds for K. Rool considering his big presence on the ballot and receiving a Mii outfit. Plus Isabelle could have been a character to receive a Mii outfit from her ballot popularity as well..

cybersai

Smash Ace
Interesting enough a lot of likely choices were Mii costumes last time:

K. Rool
Ashley
Geno
Isabelle
Inklings
Toad (if he counts)

I always saw this as Sakurai's way of giving fans of those characters a little something because he knew they are requested but had no time to make them. I wonder how many of these will become playable as we've seen with Inklings.

Grolem11

Smash Rookie
Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against Isabelle, and I really enjoy the animal crossing series but I don’t think Isabelle is nearly as popular as K. Rool and to go as far and say that animal crossing is one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises I think is overpraising a little bit. It is a popular franchise yes, but more popular than Donkey Kong? Absolutely not. King K. Rool as a far larger following than Isabelle and I do think that if Isabelle is in the game than she should be nothing more than an echo fighter. It would be a waste of a character slot if she was a separate character. It was already hard enough for the developers to come up with a move set for villager already. Anyway, aside from that. I really wish we had a reliable leaker say something about K. Rool. July is almost over and I think at this point we can say that we are not going to get any news this month. This long lack of information is really dying down the hype train. We need another reveal soon or atleast strong evidence pointing towards K. Rools inclusion.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against Isabelle, and I really enjoy the animal crossing series but I don’t think Isabelle is nearly as popular as K. Rool and to go as far and say that animal crossing is one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises I think is overpraising a little bit. It is a popular franchise yes, but more popular than Donkey Kong? Absolutely not. King K. Rool as a far larger following than Isabelle and I do think that if Isabelle is in the game than she should be nothing more than an echo fighter. It would be a waste of a character slot if she was a separate character. It was already hard enough for the developers to come up with a move set for villager already. Anyway, aside from that. I really wish we had a reliable leaker say something about K. Rool. July is almost over and I think at this point we can say that we are not going to get any news this month. This long lack of information is really dying down the hype train. We need another reveal soon or atleast strong evidence pointing towards K. Rools inclusion.
Moveset potential was never the issue for Villager. And Animal Crossing is literally right beneath Donkey Kong Country as far as best selling Nintendo franchises, with DKC being beneath Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, and the Wii series. It more than "deserves" a second character.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Once again, on the assumption that she is an Echo, this doesn't affect K. Rool whatsoever. Still boggles my mind that people consider Echoes "wasted slots" at this point.

On the other hand (now that I've thought about it some more), if she is somehow a full-on character, it's not that big a deal. As others have said, AC has the sales and popularity to deserve a second representative. It still does hurt a bit depending on how few newcomers we get, but if we go by Verg there's still at least 4 left, leaving plenty of room for our Kroc and other fan favorites.

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
You don't typically think of Animal Crossing when you hear "Nintendo's top selling franchises", or at least I don't, but it's definitely up there. If they wanted to give it another representative it'd be more than justified, and Isabelle's popularity makes her about as good a pick as you can get.
These characters aren't competing for slots; if K. Rool isn't in it's not gonna be because Isabelle is. Don't even worry about it.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I think the mii costumes are the biggest clue to predicting the newcomers

King K rool
geno
isabelle
hieichi ( however you say it )
I'm also calling that chrom will be an echo fighter of lke. I mean they played around with the idea in the reveal trailer for robin and a reference to that in palutinas guidance.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Sometimes I step back and wonder, have I said this before, did I already make this comment already elsewhere on this website? And then I realize, yes, yes, I have. But that's OK. We're in this cyclical vortex together. Repeating ourselves every few years, every few weeks, every few days or hours is just part of the experience of discussing this game.

And I have to say, K. Rool's alternate colors should always keep his scales some shade of green. K. Rool being green is an essential aspect of his character design and a blue K. Rool or a red K. Rool would look very weird.

Yes, I don't like DK's colors in Smash for this reason. His brown fur is iconic! But in DK's case, I understand it more. There's less clothes on DK to differentiate the colors. The tie is hard to see. K. Rool though is far less naked and his alternate colors should change the color of his clothes, crown, golden belly, etc. instead of changing his scale color entirely.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I disagree. I for one would love the varied character colors that Smash offers, and am often disappointed when some characters like certain Pokemon and 3rd-parties get such limited differences. Give me blue K. Rool, red K. Rool, I don't care, as long as we get either a nod to or a full-on costume for the Kaptain outfit.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wonder when we're gonna get a DK song remix on the Smash Ultimate site. If it's another Jungle Hijinx remix then I think I'll have my answer as to whether or not anything is gonna change regarding the DK franchise in Smash.

(This post is mainly a cynical joke so don't come @ me)

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Well, Kremlings come in a wide assortment of different colors, so I think K. Rool having different colored alts that reference them would be pretty cool.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I get that green scales are a big part of K. Rool's design, but I think that's exactly why it'd be fun to have his alternate costumes change it up. The Krew already has loads of different flavors of Kremling, so it wouldn't be unrealistic in terms of the series for him to be brown, or blue, or even a vibrant pink or orange. I feel like restricting costumes to keep his scales green would just make them less interesting by default.
Then again, Dedede exists and most of his colors look cool while keeping his skin (feather?) tone the same, so what do I know.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, but those are generic Kremlings. K. Rool is K. Rool. He's got a look. And that look is green, even if he changes clothes.

That's a good point about the Pokemon company though. I hope K. Rool becomes a Pokemon to save us from Red K. Rool.

Top Bottom