• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing with the young boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K 2

Smash Lord
umm...I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but...I sometimes do the first two attacks of TL's jab combo, cancel it, then do a fsmash. It works pretty well since the 2nd jab cancels pretty quickly and the first hit of TL's Fsmash comes out quickly. the opponent might be able to DI out of it. I'm not sure.

Santi

Smash Lord
Lol is this what you do during school?
Haha pretty much
:)
stay home first period- smashboards and poptarts :)

3rd period accounting II- smashboards :)

4th period web page design- smashboards :)

I love being a senior.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
O_O
That reminds me I have a class that will probably involve computers next year.
Smashboards. =P
Seniors ftw.

Santi

Smash Lord
YEsss

it ruless.

at first it was blocked and I got super pissed

then I found a way around gay surfcontrol

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Those proxy server things?
Finding out about those was possible the second best day of my in-school life.
First was the day I convinced my teacher to let me bring Melee to class. =)
I stayed after school for 4 hours that day.

Santi

Smash Lord
Those proxy server things?
Finding out about those was possible the second best day of my in-school life.
First was the day I convinced my teacher to let me bring Melee to class. =)
I stayed after school for 4 hours that day.
No I didn't use a proxy

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Aww.
Ours is pretty strong.
We have to used advanced methods.

School is lame man.
I took extra classes next year.
My senior year is going to be my hardest. =P
Yeah, I know. Weird.

My gf wants me to go to collage in Texas.
so yeah. >_>
We'll see how that works out.
I might get to play you and stuff later on.

Santi

Smash Lord
Aww.
Ours is pretty strong.
We have to used advanced methods.

School is lame man.
I took extra classes next year.
My senior year is going to be my hardest. =P
Yeah, I know. Weird.

My gf wants me to go to collage in Texas.
so yeah. >_>
We'll see how that works out.
I might get to play you and stuff later on.
That sucks. Just wavedash around the block.

Do ittt. Texas smash scene rules. And San Angelo is traveling more so chances are good that we'll run into one another at a tourny or something.

I'll be the kid wearing goggles on my head and playing Charizard
=)

Oh and to whom it may concern
little edit on the first page
*cough*ImpactAR*cough*

Alzi

Smash Master
I usually run up and when there waiting on the edge i assume they will jump over or roll dodge as your running towards them, so i attack the opposite way and they land into the attack. Not all that but it works somtimes.

Dr.octogonapus

Smash Apprentice
At higher percents, a D-grab -> bair is pretty effective, though I wouldn't reccomend trying it on on Metaknight unless the grab is a sure thing (Zair -> to grab) Also, my friends and I have started to call him Meta-Norris ^^

samizdat

Smash Cadet
Just found something relatively cool. It mainly works on taller characters (Falco or taller, I'd say).

When an opponent is at high percents, do a SH bomb draw, likely in retreat. At the very last moment of your SH, simultaneously double jump and throw the bomb toward the enemy (i set L to jump and use L+c-stick for this kind of throw).

At this point you can:

DI away from the enemy immediately with the double jump, which should give you enough time/space to draw another bomb, throw a down angled 'rang, or, in case they read the approach well, do a FF air dodge. The point of this option is to remain relatively safe while frustrating someone at high % who is trying to avoid a KO.

or (and here's the killing part)

DI toward the enemy with the double jump. If the bomb hits, the enemy (depending on DI) should pop up right into FAir territory. This whole thing can be quick enough for a surprise KO. If the opponent, however, shields the bomb, the bomb's trajectory (which is slightly higher than it usually is, since the throw was done during the double jump) will likely make the bomb bounce up off the shield, allowing an aerial bomb catch -> quick bomb throw.

These two options are best used in moderation. Typically with a retreating SH bomb draw, a TL will reverse bow-cancel or retreat with a JC bomb toss. Some enemies might not expect the bomb throw so quickly after the draw.

As Santi has said, play around with this kinda stuff. With TL's myriad possibilities in combining projectiles/aerials, the player who pushes him to the next level will be the player who knows the set ups, and how to surprise. People criticize TL's combos as being too situational? Then let's try and find an option for as many situations as we can.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
WHY IS THIS THREAD SO LOW?

Well, if my opponent knows the opponent well enough (and the ones in my crew do) and is at risk of being KOed he/she will try to restrain from coming close and throwing out laggy moves and keep with quick moves and grabs to build up damage.

Most of my kills still come from defensive/counter position. It's either a well-timed Shield Drop => Hyphen-Usmash or Bait opponent to roll or fall from the air into Utilt. Needless to say, this puts me in harms way.

I've been messing with Jump Cancel Bomb Throw Up (JCBTU) to see if it helps lead into KOs or at least extra damage. And really at times it does. If you knock your opponent high enough you should have time to pull out a bomb and JCBTU twice before he/she lands. Use it to mess up their timing and get into an Utilt.

Random Bair & Nair are so reliable... Yet they can't kill until 20-30% more than Usmash or Utilt. ::sigh::

The Bomb Throw Down (BTD) => aerial works for me very seldom. Mixing up the styles makes BTD effective at times because it's unexpected. But because of that, I tend not to expect them to get popped up myself and don't throw out an aerial when the opportunity arises. Bair in the end seems to be the better finisher in this case than the Fair or Uair because it's quick which makes it more forgiving on timing.

Some new ideas and tests.

Based off of Short/Low Zair => follow up. Very fast . DUH!!!

So the Offensive Killers!

Short/Low Zair => Running (Not Hyphen) Usmash COMBOS!!! At low KO range percentages. You can be interrupted when start the run (by grabs or jabs) if Zair is shielded.

Short/Low Zair => Utilt is the other alternative. Very difficult to punish Zair. You're guessing that your opponent is going to grab or jab in this case. If they keep on shielding you better throw out some Jabs or get out of there.

Either options still puts you in harms way so a good player would just guess your strings and shield accordingly. You're retreat options are:

Short/Low Zair => Jabs

Short/Low Zair => Nair (Full Hop for safety)

Pretty much EVERY option is about you guessing and executing a string. Not so much about recognizing a hit and attacking accordingly.

Edgeguarding, anyone? I've come to the conclusion that the Nair works better for edgeguarding because it's quick and knock the opponent in a more horizontal path versus a quick Bair which will knock in a diagonal/upwards path. Still working for some results on this.

Ginger_Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this will help anyone (meaning it won't), but I've found a nice way to play mindgames with an Fair to KO someone while they're in a recovering position.

If they're off the edge and above you, leap up and deliberately move underneath them. The opponent will typically use common sense and try to gain advantage by moving straight forward to avoid the all-too predictable Bair. Big mistake. Double jump backwards -> Fair. They literally fall into your blade.

I've no idea if it makes Fair more effective, or even if Nair would be better still. But it just makes the kill so much more sweeter knowing your opponent effectively jumped into such a well-baited trap.

Of course, don't try this against Wario. That would just be silly.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
This should be really should be stickied. Santi, maybe you can summarize TL kill options and credit the people who contributed. So tedious to read long explanations right? hehe

Anyways, messing around more with Zair => KO.

Zair => Usmash. Really only works against characters who has low gravity because the length you need for the Zair in order to combo is a little more forgiving since they get knock in the air a little higher. This gives you time to "see" your chance. Other than that, character with fast fall speed just have too much fall speed and will be able touch the ground and block. Decent players instinctively try to grab after blocking and aerial which adds a negative to this string. Conclusion: works best on floaties.

Zair => Utilt. Works IFF they block the Zair and try to counter before the Utilt. With the limitation of TL offensive to get a KO, means a good player with experience with TL will know to keep on blocking, attack "safely," get away, and he won't get KOed.

In any case, it seems like you're better off getting the maximum spacing with the Zair. Follow it up with a Dash => Nair or Bomb. Just keep away and mixing up with other modes of play: spamming, aerial mix up, countering/punishing. Racking damage with mostly your projectiles to the point that almost all your moves are undimished, increasing your chances of KO.

TL doesn't seem to have a reliable offensive way to kill. Boy do I miss the old Dair.

Santi

Smash Lord
Yea the front page has quotes from everyone and their thoughts.

I'll update when I come home from school and maybe summarize when I have time.

We don't even need to learn the MK matchup because the bat will be gone soon.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
MK has more then a 50% chance of being banned after HOBO 11.
Thats what hes talking about.
(Just a guess of course =P)
Dojos probably going to pick someone else up. (never hurts to be safe)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
MK has more then a 50% chance of being banned after HOBO 11.
Thats what hes talking about.
(Just a guess of course =P)
Dojos probably going to pick someone else up. (never hurts to be safe)
Hey Dojo. Psh...

use Marth.

Oh, I see now. Wouldn't that be interesting? <_<

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Please don't bump threads from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom