• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing with the young boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santi

Smash Lord
We all know it can be easy to rack up some damage with Toon, but sometimes when it comes to killing your opponent things can get tough. Some opponents can read when you switch your play and go into a different mode where you want the kill.

Against good players this issue can be frustrating. Especially when they go defensive and punish your kill attempts. You then will find yourself in no longer a close match but one where your now behind and quickly getting damage added to your stock.

Even against players that just sit in their shield it can get frustrating. You could go and just grab them except the grab is telegraphed and easy to see coming plus the lag on it is pathetic and even if your grab connects...what you going to do? Ha pummel them to a pulp?

No.

I made this thread so other users can help out with this. The pioneers with TL. The people playing with Toon day in and day out and gaining knowledge. You know who you are. Let's help out other users and at the same time maybe learn something new for our game.

So anyone want to share some kill setups you have?
Ofcourse they will be situational (We all know that) but the time will come where you'll be in that situation and need that kill.

I'll go first and share something I do against people I know that are just sitting in their shield waiting for me.

Grab a bomb, throw at their shield, the bomb will bounce up off their shield, now in the same jump do a Zair, when it auto cancels quickly dash to their shield and space a running up smash.
When I say space I mean on the far end of the sheild so when your done with the smash you will be on the other side of them. They think they can punish you but if timed right, the bomb on the other side will fall at their feet and you can skimper away
:)
The zair isn't neccesary but it helps poke their sheild down a little bit. And if you want to be even safer then just space a safe nair after the zair and that will hit if their shield is already low from holding it a while.

Anywayyyyss...

Any other users have methods of killing they like to do?

Contribute.

USEFUL SETUPS/ATTACKS AND OTHER INFO

The stun time for the returning boomerang is perfect for a Usmash. You just need to be able to predict when it comes flying back at the opponent in front of you. The boomerang won't give you lag upon returning to you if your doing anything else.
Continuous ranged D-tilts works pretty good on shields. And their low knock back is a good setup.

Also, get behind them, throw a boomerang off screen,get back in front of the guy, Jab combo, and they usually don't see the return boomerang coming. And its sorta like a safety out of your jab combo as they cant grab you. This means that when your ABOUT to catch the boomerang, you can just grab,charge a smash attach, whatever.(as the person above me stated, perfect for setting up Hyphen) (SH Zair works too)
Eh, I kinda go with the flow on some combos. I don't really think them through. That being said, I only know that I consciously do a few combos.

SH Hookshot to Nair to Fsmash/Ftilt/jab is a staple of my gameplan with Toon Link. The first one can kill decently if you're near the edge when you do it.

From around 85%, a airdodge canceled Hookshot to a bomb (yes, get the bomb out before you Hookshot) to hyphen smash works to kill MK at Final Destination.

Spacing is peculiar. It is best if the Hookshot hits from the middle of its length so that your bomb throw immediately after doesn't hurt you too, and give you enough time to hyphen smash away from the low stun time he has.

I really don't know how to kill with Toon Link sometimes. At worst, I usually spam hyphen smashes when I get them really high. It's a great pressure tool. >_>
What i do a lot is when they short hop i jump and throw the boomerang downward making it bounce on the floor and hitting the opponent, when all that is happening i quickly jump again and F-smash them. Works great for me even against good players
Bomb->Fair. Its easy and effective.
But all it REALLY takes for me to get a kill is for the other guy to grab the edge. Sooo many options... Dair being my favorite. =P
Umm...Hmm....what else.....
Uhh.....Zair->First hit in jab combo-> SH Nair works well.

I actually find it so hard to kill with Toon Link early that I end up racking up enough damage on my opponent that U-tilt will kill them... It's actually not too bad because I don't have to change my mindset or gameplay that radically to use U-tilt. It's quick and fairly spammable. The downside is that they have to be at a pretty high percentage.

"Tricking" your opponent into airdodging a bomb and then tracking your U-air where their invincibility frames run out will usually kill them. This isn't easy to do, but it is something.
It's usually mindgame'd smashes.

I also like to go for edgeguards against some characters with nair, fair and even bair stage spike.

One of my favorite kill moves is when I jump over them, bomb-drop/throw a bomb down at them and then wait for them to pop up and hit them with a uair. Sometimes doesn't work due to spacing and DI, but I get alot of kills this way.
However, it can be easier to land on those with blind spots below them (leik, Marth, since his Dair is no longer beastly because L-canceling don't exist in my Brawl). Simply put them into the air via Utilt, Usmash, U or D throw, or from then DI-ing up from a bomb or whatever. Then force an airdodge by using a Bair, or if you've conditioned them to airdodge near you because you're offensive in the air, they'll usually airdodge by instinct.

From there, you can predict their DI movements and follow it with Uair since it's a lingering hitbox.

It of course doesn't work as well on MK since he has like no blindspots, or Wario because he has godly aerial movement and a very good Dair.

Utilt comes out faster than Usmash, and it's KO potential is relatively the same. It actually kills roughly 6-8% later than Usmash on Final Destination with isn't much of a difference for a tilt to smash ratio.
Fair is a great killing move but hard to land. To Yukiwarashi, projectiles can help kill easily. A Boomerang to the face puts your opponents at the perfect height for a fair, I remember a Toon Link that got me with it everytime, it's unexpected since you just tasted boomerang. Also, a bomb thrown down to a fair works too.
hmmm.... this is actually quite reliable to me.... if they shielding.... i short hop and throw a bomb at them... i zair to catch the bomb and at the same time knocking them back with zair..... i run backwards do a jump cancelled throw at them cuz they usually not expecting that and lower their shield.... when it hits... i finish it off with a fair

-Miso
I usually just go from a bomb->Dair->Uair, or bomb->boomerang->double arrow->Uair/Fair for the ones that won't go down.
If someones grabbing onto an edge dash attack usually makes the opponent use their second jump, so i just SH dair. You don't even have to go off the edge. It's a "safe" tactic.
I noticed another "combo" I do.

SH throw the Boomerang either straight or angled downward so it hits the ground and bounces up past the opponent.

Now if timed correctly, you can SH Zair immediately alongside the returning Boomerang, then run up and Hyphen Smash.

A very situational tactic, but it can work, I guess.
A tactic I use is deceit and distraction.

SH, throw the boomerang downwards, throw a bomb/arrow. The other person usually focuses so much on an air dodge they leave themselves completely open to a hyphen smash.

Only really works at 150%+ plus though, and doesn't work at all if they opponent rolls back. But then, dealing damage with TL is easy peasy. It's staying alive long enough that's the real problem.
Alright, guys after some thinking and talking to Santi a bit I decide to try to figure out some good set ups to kill with this kid. I think I got something for you fellow TL mains. After some thinking and testing with set ups I finally got something!

Run Up, Jump, Space Bomb Throw Down Right in Front of Your Opponent, Cross Over During Jump, Fair

OR

Run Up, Jump, Space Bomb Throw Down Right in Front of Your Opponent, Cross Over During Jump, Uair

You can also combo with the Dair, but I'm working with what I think is more practical.

For the sake of making things simple, I'm call going to call the "space bomb throw down" SBTD.

Trial and Error

I test the SBTD on a few characters in Training Mode. So these percentages are assuming the following.

• Opponent is right in the center of Final Destination.
  • Undiminished moves.
  • Improper DI on the opponent's part.

Fair Version Kills Pit at 122%
Uair Version Kills Pit at 128%

Fair Version Kills Snake at 138%
Uair Version Kills Snake at 124%

Fair Version Kills MK at 116%
Uair Version Kills MK at 109%

** Note that this is the percentage that the character is at before any damage from the set up.

Training With an Attacking Computer

I trained with the computer to see how well this trick works. Unfortunately the computer is very active so it's hard to work with mind games with it. For example, I can't run up and SBTD because the computer would almost always jump forward and attack or walk back all of a sudden. A human player would consider the factor that you might throw the bomb forward or do something tricky so the mind games of this test for offense is nonexistent.

Defensively, you can learn to jump out of your shield after shielding an attack and SBTD do an aerial. Works fairly well. Again the computer does some stuff I doubt a human player would do to mess this tactic up.

Bair and Nair works well with at low percentages. Uair is very hard to land while Fair is much more dependable and effective.

Again this is the computer so there is no mind games in this test.

What to hear some good news about this? Here's some!

• It's a combo. That's right if you connect with the bomb it guarantees that the Fair or Uair will not be escaped!
  • The timing on it is actually just slightly forgiving. When I say that I mean you have a small time frame to recognize and see if your bomb connected before you decide to execute the Fair or Uair. It happens very fast, though.

When Should You Use Fair to Uair?

It's pretty obvious that Uair is the more reliable kill move. It kills at lower percents and the ceiling is a constant factor after all. However, it's only covers a small area and very hard to land with all the movements and DI.

Fair, however, is more reliable since it has a wider range of attack. Also Fair is a bit safer because unlike the Uair you can finish the animation in a jump so you can jump again for safety when you see that the bomb was blocked. Though everything will happen very fast so you must have a keen eye.

Things to Learn and Consider

Learn the timing of when to throw the bomb downwards. If you do SBTD during a short hop too soon you're actually going to hit yourself with the peak of the explosion. You really want to wait a split second after your jump or perhaps it's easier to say wait until you're at a the "short hop peak" before you throw it down.

Learn the range of the bomb's explosion. This set up requires you to hit your opponent with the "front" side of the bomb's explosion so that your opponent's DI has minimal effect on how where they fly and push them into the cross over, aerial. If your throw too close to your opponent, the explosion will trigger and hit you when you try to cross over.

I found that since this is more of a guess and looking for an opportunity set up. Using a full jump is typically better than a short hop.

Final Words

I actually found this very recently so I can't say how well this will apply in actual human matches yet. I'll be playing my friend a lot tomorrow and let you guys know how well/often this set up works. I'll also probably add some other tactics to help make this set up more unpredicable.

LEVELS
Just for the record, I checked all standard levels that allow you to abuse the strong knockback on Tink's down smash.

Halberd: Limited use because the slopes point inward, but it's still available to give you some space when necessary.

Castle Siege: One inward slope on the first part of the stage, can be used to throw enemies off the left side, but it's not as good as other places.

Corneria: Instant kill of the front or back of the ship, usable almost everywhere else for spacing due to excessive slanted ground.

Lylat Cruise: Useful for throwoffs on either side, depending on the way the stage is tilted at the time.

Yoshi's Island (Brawl): The very sides of the stage are sloped, allowing for knockoffs and perhaps kills if the enemy has shoddy recovery.

Pictochat: Again, the sides can be used like in Yoshi's.

Are there any I forgot? I think it's safe to say that Corneria and Great Sea are both good Tink counterpicks...
In amendment to my last post, there is slanted ground fit for dsmash abuse in all three levels of Castle Siege. The first level isn't that useful, but the second level's sloping upper platforms can give instant kills, and the third level's sloped center can be used to throw an enemy off for gimping. Another counterpick?

Other than Corneria and Yoshi's Island Brawl, Delfino has several places for you to do it. The sandy beach part is great since the Dsmash sends them into the water, giving you the opportunity to gimp. The top of the building with a walk-off to the left and an edge with no hanging ledge to the right is great too. Camp at the right, Dsmash when they get close and they can die from like 6%.

On stages with water, grab and throw them into the water (or anything that'll put them in the water) and D-air the crap out of them. Obviously very situational, but I've found it to be pretty effective if you can get them in the water. If you miss, swim so that you're right up on them and SH-dair over and over til they die.

On stages with uneven surfaces, like the tips of Coneria, can get you really low percentage kills with the first hit of the D-smash. On the left side of Corneria, only hitting with the first hit will instantly kill almost all the characters (I'm not sure who it won't kill actually). I'm not that certain on the right side, but it can probably lead to gimps against characters with mediocre recoveries. Yoshi's Island has similar uneven surfaces to go for the gimps.

Again, these are mostly situational, but I find that if you utilize what the stage gives you, you can open up a few more opportunities to kill your opponent.

GREAT WORDS OF WISDOM
Santi, you win

Shinato127

Smash Rookie
The stun time for the returning boomerang is perfect for a Usmash. You just need to be able to predict when it comes flying back at the opponent in front of you. The boomerang won't give you lag upon returning to you if your doing anything else.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Ahh a thread we actually need.

Continuous ranged D-tilts works pretty good on shields. And their low knock back is a good setup.

Also, get behind them, throw a boomerang off screen,get back in front of the guy, Jab combo, and they usually don't see the return boomerang coming. And its sorta like a safety out of your jab combo as they cant grab you. This means that when your ABOUT to catch the boomerang, you can just grab,charge a smash attach, whatever.(as the person above me stated, perfect for setting up Hyphen) (SH Zair works too)

Umm...
Zairing over and over again will probably make them stop using shield. And your far away enough to be safe.

Edit: I'm an idiot. -_-
I'll acutally answer the question in the thread later. =P

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well if your opponent hides in thier shield heres my thought. Charge at them, create the pressure and see what they do. Otherwise back-grab them. For those who don't know: Back-grabbing is then you run at your opponent and when you get behind them you simpley grab in thier direction or behind you, which ever sounds less complicated, but it's stiull the same move. I do it with PT all the time.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
Well if your opponent hides in thier shield heres my thought. Charge at them, create the pressure and see what they do. Otherwise back-grab them. For those who don't know: Back-grabbing is then you run at your opponent and when you get behind them you simpley grab in thier direction or behind you, which ever sounds less complicated, but it's stiull the same move. I do it with PT all the time.
It's called "Pivot Grabbing".

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ehhh, what ever the name, you know what I mean. Though thanks for telling me the name.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
It's mostly mind games, it all depends on who your opponent is, some things work on some players and it doesn't work at all on others. I like to add pressure in those situations, not necessarily go for the kill right away when they are at the right percentage, but instead keep my distance and spam a bit, so they get confident and throw in a fsmash or something; and then I strike ^_^.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Very useful thread, I'm looking forward how much we'll get out of this since this is Toon Link's biggest problem in battle (at least for me). I don't have any specific setups, I just try to surprise my opponent somehow like making them airdodge at a wrong time and then striking right after that or getting them to approach me at high percents and then shield+uptilt/upsmash/dsmash.

With some small and fast characters I just end up spamming smashes most of the time though. =I

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Eh, I kinda go with the flow on some combos. I don't really think them through. That being said, I only know that I consciously do a few combos.

SH Hookshot to Nair to Fsmash/Ftilt/jab is a staple of my gameplan with Toon Link. The first one can kill decently if you're near the edge when you do it.

From around 85%, a airdodge canceled Hookshot to a bomb (yes, get the bomb out before you Hookshot) to hyphen smash works to kill MK at Final Destination.

Spacing is peculiar. It is best if the Hookshot hits from the middle of its length so that your bomb throw immediately after doesn't hurt you too, and give you enough time to hyphen smash away from the low stun time he has.

I really don't know how to kill with Toon Link sometimes. At worst, I usually spam hyphen smashes when I get them really high. It's a great pressure tool. >_>

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't know if this only works because my opponents aren't too great...but my personal favorite kill move is Fair o_O just trick them into jumping with projectiles, and Fair. Does that not work?

virtuososteve

Smash Apprentice
What i do a lot is when they short hop i jump and throw the boomerang downward making it bounce on the floor and hitting the opponent, when all that is happening i quickly jump again and F-smash them. Works great for me even against good players

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
uair is actually pretty good for killing as long as you are good at DIing with your opponent.

Lobos

Smash Master
It's mostly mind games, it all depends on who your opponent is, some things work on some players and it doesn't work at all on others. I like to add pressure in those situations, not necessarily go for the kill right away when they are at the right percentage, but instead keep my distance and spam a bit, so they get confident and throw in a fsmash or something; and then I strike ^_^.
This.

Also remember a few months ago when I mentioned a chain grab with TL...well looks like I might have it down and ready for the world to see.....

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This.

Also remember a few months ago when I mentioned a chain grab with TL...well looks like I might have it down and ready for the world to see.....
O_O
If its gonna be something like "haha I GRABBED with the CHAIN" I'll kill you.
But no, I give you more credit then that. >_>
Make a thread pleaaseeee?

Lobos

Smash Master
O_O
If its gonna be something like "haha I GRABBED with the CHAIN" I'll kill you.
But no, I give you more credit then that. >_>
Make a thread pleaaseeee?
LOL not at all, for a nice good kill I just keep up my pressure and wait for an opening to zair > hyphen smash works most of the time

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Bomb->Fair. Its easy and effective.
But all it REALLY takes for me to get a kill is for the other guy to grab the edge. Sooo many options... Dair being my favorite. =P
Umm...Hmm....what else.....
Uhh.....Zair->First hit in jab combo-> SH Nair works well.

Santi

Smash Lord
I don't know if this only works because my opponents aren't too great...but my personal favorite kill move is Fair o_O just trick them into jumping with projectiles, and Fair. Does that not work?
I kill with Fair sometimes.
Especailly after I short hop and angle a Boomerang down then jump with the Fair.
It can kill and seems pretty safe if the rang hits and you predict well with the fair.

This.

Good sh*t Lobos!

Ive been working on chaingrabbing too.
I was actually gonna PM you and some others the other day and ask if there had been any experimentation with CG and if there were any ideas that were up for discussion. Maybe split the roster in a couple sections and a couple of us figure out what can be done.

Me and Doj almost found one for MK
:(
but then Dojo found a way to mess it all up for TL
:( :(

Also we've been experimenting with D3 and Snake.

I'm glad your attemps are more successful and that your willing to share with other TL users.
Pretty noble considering some people (like in ther character forums) aren't willing to share some of what they know because they dont want people copying them.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
I kill with Fair sometimes.
Especailly after I short hop and angle a Boomerang down then jump with the Fair.
It can kill and seems pretty safe if the rang hits and you predict well with the fair.

Good sh*t Lobos!

Ive been working on chaingrabbing too.
I was actually gonna PM you and some others the other day and ask if there had been any experimentation with CG and if there were any ideas that were up for discussion. Maybe split the roster in a couple sections and a couple of us figure out what can be done.

Me and Doj almost found one for MK
:(
but then Dojo found a way to mess it all up for TL
:( :(

Also we've been experimenting with D3 and Snake.

I'm glad your attemps are more successful and that your willing to share with other TL users.
Pretty noble considering some people (like in ther character forums) aren't willing to share some of what they know because they dont want people copying them.
Us TL mainers stand strong XD, we share anything we can with each other because we are so hellbent on advancing his meta game.

Santi

Smash Lord
Us TL mainers stand strong XD, we share anything we can with each other because we are so hellbent on advancing his meta game.
Hell Yes!
Toon links are family :D

Troop Soup and Taunty Santi FTW!

EDIT: *waves wand

Lobos

Smash Master
It doesn't work on every character but I will try to get a video up while in actual tournament to see if its viable.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I read somewhere that you can do a dash attack and if the opponent trips connect a dsmash at any percent, but it seems to me this wouldn't be right. If it is though, d smash can kill if they have a high enough percentage or could lead into an aerial combo or uair if you can hit them.

But ya, as people have said, a lot of it is about the mindgames to get in a smash.

ZeroXMachine

Smash Apprentice
I actually find it so hard to kill with Toon Link early that I end up racking up enough damage on my opponent that U-tilt will kill them... It's actually not too bad because I don't have to change my mindset or gameplay that radically to use U-tilt. It's quick and fairly spammable. The downside is that they have to be at a pretty high percentage.

"Tricking" your opponent into airdodging a bomb and then tracking your U-air where their invincibility frames run out will usually kill them. This isn't easy to do, but it is something.

On stages with water, grab and throw them into the water (or anything that'll put them in the water) and D-air the crap out of them. Obviously very situational, but I've found it to be pretty effective if you can get them in the water. If you miss, swim so that you're right up on them and SH-dair over and over til they die.

On stages with uneven surfaces, like the tips of Coneria, can get you really low percentage kills with the first hit of the D-smash. On the left side of Corneria, only hitting with the first hit will instantly kill almost all the characters (I'm not sure who it won't kill actually). I'm not that certain on the right side, but it can probably lead to gimps against characters with mediocre recoveries. Yoshi's Island has similar uneven surfaces to go for the gimps.

Again, these are mostly situational, but I find that if you utilize what the stage gives you, you can open up a few more opportunities to kill your opponent.

Duckys

Smash Apprentice
I always find it hard Ko'ing with Toon Link since his smashes aren't the best speeds, I hate the side smashes to since the first hit is knockback effected and the opponent can easily dodge the other hit. Normally when trying to ko with a smash its proberly best to use a U Smash or D Smash depending on the situation and what opponent your facing.

Santi

Smash Lord
It doesn't work on every character but I will try to get a video up while in actual tournament to see if its viable.
ok cool. Thanks Lobos.
Just dont try the grab release MK if thats what your thinking.
Just so you know. There's a way MK can break out on the ground everytime and I dont want you losing a tourney game cause of us.

Santi, you win
*cries tears of joy*

I read somewhere that you can do a dash attack and if the opponent trips connect a dsmash at any percent, but it seems to me this wouldn't be right. If it is though, d smash can kill if they have a high enough percentage or could lead into an aerial combo or uair if you can hit them.

But ya, as people have said, a lot of it is about the mindgames to get in a smash.
Yea I read that same thing about dash attack>downsmash

But it seems like my opponent lands to far from me when they trip.
SO what I do is a forward smash right after I land a dash attack and they trip.
Its usually a free hit because of the opponent just gets up they get hit with the first swipe and then you can connect with the second stronger hit.
Also if they try to roll behind you, your at the distance where they can still get hit with the first hit and then you hit them again.
And if they roll back....you miss your Fsmash but you guys go back to a neutral position and then yall go back to fighting.

And if your ever in that situation where you trip them close the the edge. There's not much for them to do so it usually ends in a free Fsmash for you and the opponent goes flying off the edge. Highly situational but it happens. I have a clip of it in my second combo video.

I do need to se more U tilt. And its quick too.

I'll consider that water part. I'm going to start counterpicking delfino on Snakes when I learn the stage well and that water part will really help me when I need gimps.

OH CRAP! I totally forgot about corneria. I knew about the dsmash and that really helps on Yoshi but for some dumb reason I thought Yoshi was the only tourney stage that had those kind of slopes. Thanks ZeroXmachine

Santi

Smash Lord
sorry for repeat. I guess. Though I think TL has advantage cuz of range
Idk. I wouldn't say advantage.
Maybe even.
Marth is begining to become one of my harder matches.

But easier to kill for me cause alot like to SH double Fair.
Just shield the first one then hyphen smash.

Piece of cake.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Lol I seen you on youtube Santi, I though you had all the tips :p

Well usually you can spot an opponent who you just can't finish, but all you do is simply get them off the stage for an easy KO. Either nair which could kill them but probably won't, and chase them off the stage with a bair, fair, or uair. If you can't nair them off the stage, a nice grab to an immediate back throw works or stand by the ledge and use projectiles until they close the range then grab.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
down B to transform into Ike then fsmash until he or she is destroyed...is still highly effective when executed while your opponent is as low as 40-50% damage.........................jk

bair to hurricane spin while edgeguarding is usually good for at least one kill...its effectiveness depends on how often you use the hurricane spin throughout any given match...when spammed a lot, your opponent is more likely to air dodge, but if used rarely to never at all i guarantee that youll see a WTF face on the guy while they wait to respawn...the hurricane spin seems (to me) to be a neglected move considering it lacks the land kill quality of big link, but used in this manner it can decimate

ps.
santi...are you the guy from texas i played (and lost to...i started with my TL then foolishly swapped to DK, who, fyi, i have abandoned) at Race's garage tourney in cerritos, when was it?? last month, i think??

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Back in the day when I was good at meele among my friends, I mained as Marth and Link. I always wondered if I ever some how fought myself who would win. Marth or Link? With my skills in Meele, as hard as it is to chose, I would have to say Link because of my Bombing style of play. Brawl however, umm....umm....umm. For now all I can say is who ever would win, it would be a very close match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom