• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kid Icarus Uprising

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Yeah, I hear this Jim Sterling is an interesting character. He gave MK7 a poor score, but Return to Dreamland a 10/10 lol.
☯ Though I'll biasedly give Kirby Returns to Dreamland an 10/10, but it truly deserves at least around a high 8 or a low 9, the game is underrated. I do agree that Destructoid is full of crap with it's reviews, Mario Kart 7 review was a joke, I can't say anything about Uprising yet.

☯ I am curious why some reviews don't like the ground levels in this game.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yeah, apparently people cannot aim with a stylus and move around like any normal shooter would be like on PC.

The stylus is your mouse, and the buttons and circle pad are your keyboard. Yes, there WILL be a learning curve in order to play this game, but after you play a few levels, you'll get used to it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It doesn't seem that bad to me. Though I would prefer if they put 2 circle pads.

Perhaps a sequel will have that.

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
Don't they have an second circle pad that you can buy? That's what my friend said.

Life

Smash Hero
I don't understand the people jostling for dual circle pad controls on this game. Stylus is mouse, trigger and CP are keyboard, like DAK said above. Using the stylus in RH would be both more precise and faster than using a right-hand circle.

But then, I have yet to actually try it. I see it as roughly equivalent to keyboard versus mouse turning in WoW, though, which is something I am more familiar with.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm not sure what to exactly think of the controls with all of the complains.

But I'm guessing the air levels will be closer to Star Fox, while ground levels will be closer to Sin and Punishment and maybe Metroid Prime Hunters.

Only 3 more days until we all find out though.

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
The problem with the touch screen controls is that you either have to hold the 3DS with one hand or put it on that stupid stand thing, both of which stink. At least with dual pads you can hold it both hands.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I keep saying it, but knees! Knees and legs! I always end up in that position, even when playing MK7 and stuff.

It'll likely be a lot like MPH as far as the ground battles/online I think. And the choosing powerups thing I think is a stupid thing to complain about, as the weapon system in Hunters had the same thing and you memorized the positions on the screen after a few games.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've always been a fidgety sort of person when it comes to portables. I just can't stay in one position too long lol. One reason that would prevent be from experiencing the luxury of 3D, cause I'd have to adjust everytime I move around.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The game was already too close to completion to add in dual analog controls. Which is why they used the Circle Pad Pro for left handed players.

If anything, the air battles will be closer to Sin and Punishment, while the ground battles would be closer to Metroid Prime Hunters.

Which isn't exactly bad. The problem is the learning curve in the controls. Which is something that is normally uncharacteristic of a Nintendo game.

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
Wait, so the game doesn't have dual analogue? That would be so stupid...

DTR

Smash Journeyman
dual analog is way less accurate than stylus. it also is slower at moving the camera. i dont get why people care so much about dual analog support when from a competitive perspective, stylus controls are vastly superior

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That's like asking why the Wii never succeeded in competitive FPS, because it in theory has a pointer that can replicate a gun and make it more realistic and easier to aim. Something went wrong with this theory, and that is why it never boomed.

DTR

Smash Journeyman
when i was 5, i played duck hunt by putting the gun on the screen and shooting point blank. i never missed. when i realized i was supposed to stand back a few feet things were considerably more difficult. stylus >>> pointer

D

Deleted member

when i was 5, i played duck hunt by putting the gun on the screen and shooting point blank. i never missed. when i realized i was supposed to stand back a few feet things were considerably more difficult. stylus >>> pointer
To be fair, putting the tip of the gun on the screen will prevent you from missing at all, even if you're aiming nowhere near the duck.

DTR

Smash Journeyman
the point is, using a stylus is like shooting a gun point blank. it is much harder to miss since you dont aim a stylus. there is no lining up involved

ndayday

BRoomer
This pre-release-day hype is killing me.

Doesn't help that I have work right after school tomorrow. I got my screen protectors for my DS though so I'll at least not have to wait until Monday/Tuesday like I might have had to!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
IGN gave it an 8.5

Guess Nintendo refused to bribe them on this one
gah! I hate this logic!

a game gets a good grade from IGN= the company payed them

a game gets a bad grade from IGN=it's not actually bad

a game gets a grad below a 9=it's too low, stop saying it's bad*

a game gets a score that's not a 10= I bet they would give a 10 to COD!**

*these people forget that only games 4.5 and lower=bad

**note: IGN has NEVER GIVEN A SINGLE COD GAME A 10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGN#Original_scale

people just act like they do.

will you guys just accept the damn scores as is?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Not until we abolish the system of 1-10 with 10 being the highest that we use to review games

Imo something like 1-5 or 1-3 like movie reviewing sites use is a lot better than 1-10 imo

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Tomorrow I shall be soaring the skies destroying Medusa's minions all day. >:D I can't wait! And I'm left-handed, so apparently Sakurai-sama was thinking of me when making this game.

As for reviewers, use your words. Drop the numbers and stars. They're there for lazy/stupid people to scroll to and make up their minds from the start from something so vague, inconsistent, and removed from yourself. The only thing you need is to read a description of what the gameplay is like, and that is what tells you its quality and aim.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'll probably have to wait to pick up my copy until Saturday

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
I hope I can get it tommarow. Can't wait for it, especially the multiplayer. (pray it doesn't have that stupid announcer guy)

As for COD, maybe there's a reason it hasn't gotten a 10...

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Wait, I think I've read somewhere someone mentioned
Hades
and stuff he says... are there any videos of him in the game? D: I haven't heard of anything about it until just this afternoon.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
^^Hide your spoilers please.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ugg, I can't wait any longer.

Not to mention the Wii U thread can't stop posting spoilers. I've already spoiled
Hades
for myself, I must stay strong and look away.

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
Must... not...look...

Just keep watching Nintendo's videos that give nothing away. It helps.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
lol Good thing I don't have work tomorrow! And I can wait to get the game since I already have it pre-ordered. Just pick it up, and play it all day.

ndayday

BRoomer
So this 3D classics Kid Icarus right.

It's hard.

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
So guys, what do you think of the game? I personally am really enjoying it, especially the multiplayer. And I gotta say, the controls aren't nearly as bad as they were said to be.

Also, what weapon are you using? I'm using a nice Silver Bow with 4 range and 3 melee, with a bunch of effects like +2 poison.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
This game is quite challenging as well, pleasingly so. Nintendo franchises can learn from Sakurai's example here.

ndayday

BRoomer
Yeah the cauldron is actually a really cool feature.

And the music is nice.
The controls did bother me a little at first, but then I found all the control options and adjusted the sensitivity and what not, played, and now I'm used to it.

Haven't played online yet.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I just started playing through and have beaten the first two chapters.

I honestly don't see the big deal about the controls, I've gotten more cramps playing Mario Kart 7.

I'm loving the music, it makes me so mad that the japanese Club Nintendo get the soundtrack as a part of their rewards. I really hope it's a part of the premium member bonus for this year. :3

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I am also enjoying the game. Been running a difficulty of about 5.0 for my first time through. I prefer to use Blades or Claws as my weapon of choice. The controls in the air worked wonderfully, and the land controls seemed a little off. Eventually got used to them, but you definitely have to tweak the sensitivity to make them work to your liking.

Multiplayer is alright. Abilities kill it as the frame-rate drops like crazy when a bunch of people want to use them. Still trying to get used to the multiplayer.

I also noticed that people mostly use clubs and bows online.

Speaking of online, we should all try to get together to play a few rounds. I checked out some of the With Friends options, and it looks very organized. You could easily set up some good matches with friends no problem.

PS: Finally made Platinum for the first time with Club Nintendo. And I did it all within the matter of 4 months. Thank you 3DS.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Speaking of multiplayer. This should turn into a KIU community thread.
Post up your FCs and stuff. Maybe even go for wifi tourneys.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I indeed had a difficult time with the controls at first. I think I got the hang of it now.

Top Bottom