• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Jowii, I live in Illinois right now. It'd be easy for me to find people who play here, I've been to two tourneys already (placed 5th on my last one like 4 months ago or something)... but everytime I leave the base, I NEED to bring someone with me, and blackwaltz, the only other competitive brawl player I know who's on base, had some bad luck and couldn't go with me during certain tourney dates leading to not being able to leave the base at all.

It's just this base that has that rule, too. I think it's SO STUPID! But what can I do? :(

And thanks for the praise, Mike! But to me, those posts are what I feel I should be presenting as a leqader of SWF's Brawl community. Throwing my thoughts out for people to nibble on. ;)

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Kewkky, check your PM.

So I think Gears is helping me to make the next breakthrough in Brawl, though it's not a breakthrough so much as it is a personal revelation of a different way of thinking.

In Gears there are medals, achievements and ribbons. The more ribbons, the better the medal. You want the highest medals to complete your goal of being Seriously 3.0. Some of the medals are for mastering the starting rifles and shotguns. Without going into great lengths:

Lancer - Accurate/ Weak/ Long Clips/ Chainsaw for close quarters.
Hammerburst - Most Accurate/ Strong if Active Reloaded/ Zoom
Retro Lancer - Least Accurate (must burst fire)/ Strongest/ Bayonet for charging

Gnasher Shotgun - Versatile/ 8 shot (?)/ Strong/ Has a learning curve/ Medium range
Sawed-Off Shotgun- Powerful, but no range/ One shot/ No learning curve.

Basically, you have to play with all the guns extensively in order to get all their top medals; 6000 kills kind of extensively. One thing this does though is make you aware of each of the guns strengths and short-comings, as well as gives you experience in all the common scenarios you'll encounter during a multiplayer match (Last man standing/ Shotgun battles/ Scramble for power weapons/ etc.). After playing so long with each of the weapons, and after acquiring the Onyx medals for each, you're free to go back to what ever Rifle/Shotgun combo you prefer without heed to what medals it's going towards, and which ones you're neglecting.

My point is, once you know each of the guns to the point of fond familiarity, you can see an underlying game in which you can choose the gun to suit your needs, whether those be the needs demanded by the stage, or according to your opponents' choice of guns, or to suit your own agenda. Relating that to Brawl, I have found that playing Kirby is no longer adequate on its own. That's not to say having Kirby as a sole main is no longer adequate, but that in order to get better, I'll need to start playing more characters seriously in order to round out my skills with Kirby. I'm looking for understanding of my character's strengths and weaknesses, in greater detail, by looking at others' strength and weaknesses and being comfortable with them so that I may be comfortable with Kirby's.

I only share this because having played Gears with this same mindframe, I've exceeded my previous playing abilities in Gears, and I've found away to adapt this similar thread of thinking to Brawl.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Huzzah! I've been doing that for a while, and I ended up having a pretty sweet Ike, Jiggs, Bowser, Snake, Samus, and also started using random more on friendlies while still trying to win all my matches as best as I could. It's a smart thing to do, certain characte3rs excel in different areas and suck in others, it makes you aware of things you previously wouldnt've noticed. I know my Kirby got way better before I joined the Navy (but my ZSS got worse cuz of her freaking grab, all other characters have okay grabs or better, and I adopted the habit of grabbing a lot... FFFFUUUU), and I can safely say that there's till loads of room for improvement.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Speaking of SHOOTAN games, I wish I had a good FPS game to play occasionally. The last online FPS games I've had were... TF2, which I didn't like much and uninstalled, and Goldeneye Wii, which was fun to play with friends but got boring after a while and sold.
Is there anything you guys would recommend if my only gaming systems are a Wii and a laptop that's not designed for gaming?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, I have Skyrim but I don't enjoy playing it as much as I should because I have to run on the LOWEST resolution (800x600) and it still has bad FPS.

I just played TKbro on wifi and it was fun :D
we played like, one Kirby ditto, and those are lame. Then we did a bunch of Fox vs Falco and it was hella fun.

I haven't played this game (online OR off) in soooo long. It's pretty fun...

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
we played like, one Kirby ditto, and those are lame.
I remember playing you on the AiB ladder a few times, back when I was on that.

Ok, advice time:

I recently discovered 1000 Wii shop channel points from a non-specific Monster Hunter game purchased in the past and intend to obtain a Virtual Console download with them. The two games I am interested in are Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 stars, and Paper Mario.

I played the second Paper Mario and loved every minute of it, but a friend of mine says Mario RPG was really good.

What do?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I am going to train my sister on how to play competitively tomorrow since she's going to a tourney in high school.

lol, I might as well teach her how to play w/ kirby.
I even told her that "you must always do combos first. It starts with a single grab/z button when close to an enemy."

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
I am going to train my sister on how to play competitively tomorrow since she's going to a tourney in high school.

lol, I might as well teach her how to play w/ kirby.
I even told her that "you must always do combos first. It starts with a single grab/z button when close to an enemy."
Wow, I don't know which I envy more, having a cool sister, having someone to play Smash with that lives in your house, or tourneys at school.

And Kirby is the only way. Do not let the allure of grenades and bananas cause her to stray from the blessed path.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
^^^tokyogamer7Vinyl knows how to master Kirby. Also remembr to tell her to kirbicide and footstool like a boss! Never to downB, and always bair/utilt! And fsmash/dsmash for kills. That should be all. :D

Oh, and never upB to the ledge if you still have jumps. Horrible idea.

BBQTV

Smash Master
how come when i click the "show you Signature" button my Signature does not show?

it does not show i clicked it lol and when i clicked preview changes it shows up

i eidited it twice and nothing

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I remember playing you on the AiB ladder a few times, back when I was on that.

Ok, advice time:

I recently discovered 1000 Wii shop channel points from a non-specific Monster Hunter game purchased in the past and intend to obtain a Virtual Console download with them. The two games I am interested in are Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 stars, and Paper Mario.

I played the second Paper Mario and loved every minute of it, but a friend of mine says Mario RPG was really good.

What do?
Late, but Paper Mario. No contest, really. Paper Mario is charming and unique, overall awesome. Not that SMRPG is not great, but I think it feels too much like Final Fantasy x Mario. Which is why a lot of people love it, I guess.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
^^^tokyogamer7
Vinyl knows how to master Kirby. Also remember to tell her to kirbicide and footstool like a boss! Never to downB, and always bair/utilt! And fsmash/dsmash for kills. That should be all. :D

Oh, and never upB to the ledge if you still have jumps. Horrible idea.
Yup, told her. But added a few more stuff into it that Chu might not be aware of I guess, lol.
The tourney starts on Friday. Sadly, we're in different high schools. But I'll bet she'll do good after I am done teaching.
The thing is, I want it done fast. I'm currently playing metroid 3, the first metroid game I've played in my life.

And with the iPad I'm typing on right now, things will get a little smoother while I'm on Skype and stuff. Also twitter stuff.
If I can manage to do a speedrun on hyper mode, I'll make on finishing it at the lowest time possible.

Or just do a 40-hour brawl.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Just got done making Chicken Fried Rice for the family from scratch and it was epic.

Then made them Root Beer floats.

I'm awesome.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@A1 and MikeKirby - I'm down for Wi-Fi on Monday, but I'll probably be on around 6-10ish.

I'll probably be on All is Brawl free play chat looking for wi-fi matches throughout today sporadically.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I might play wifi sometime if you guys wish.

I remember back in the day when newer Kirbys would always ask me to play them so they could learn. :')
Nowadays, the newbies would probably beat me, maybe.
Maybe.

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
Do we still have that "looking for a wifi game?" thread? I used to frequent it back when I had a brawl disk ( :mad: ) and I remember one of the times I checked in here some months back, I picked a random person out of the thread and she (or as I was led to assume) played me for about an hour and a half, with me switching between Kirby, Fox, and occasionally Lucario. 'She' only won 2 games, both of which I accidentally suicided with Fox, twice in one of the games. 'She' was a good player, but I can't help but feel 'she' was frustrated from the losses. Good games though, I'd like to jump back into that if I can, just one random person after another. An endless stream of competition whenever I need some.

Good times.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Do we still have that "looking for a wifi game?" thread? I used to frequent it back when I had a brawl disk ( :mad: ) and I remember one of the times I checked in here some months back, I picked a random person out of the thread and she (or as I was led to assume) played me for about an hour and a half, with me switching between Kirby, Fox, and occasionally Lucario. 'She' only won 2 games, both of which I accidentally suicided with Fox, twice in one of the games. 'She' was a good player, but I can't help but feel 'she' was frustrated from the losses. Good games though, I'd like to jump back into that if I can, just one random person after another. An endless stream of competition whenever I need some.

Good times.
Ah, you're talking about >>>The Smashboards Arena<<<.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Game and Watch Kirby is pretty good :O
I played him in a bunch of Kirby dittos on wifi, and we kept counterpicking stupid stages (went through practically the whole legal stage list) and kept trading wins.

Wifi isn't frustrating me as much as I remember, but then again I'm just doing friendlies. I've gotten most of my skill back in the past few days :D
Only problem with wifi is a lot of the time you can call your opponent's move out before they do it, yet get hit by it anyway. It happens, though.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Idk what everyone is talking about when it comes to lag. I've probably played 50 matches of Brawl over the last few days and out of all of them, 3 had lag; 2 of them from people in different countries, and 1 from a 2v2.

I mean, I notice a small hint of lag, and there'll be a moment or two where I feel it barely, but for the most part I don't notice any lag.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Idk what everyone is talking about when it comes to lag. I've probably played 50 matches of Brawl over the last few days and out of all of them, 3 had lag; 2 of them from people in different countries, and 1 from a 2v2.

I mean, I notice a small hint of lag, and there'll be a moment or two where I feel it barely, but for the most part I don't notice any lag.
This is how I always thought about wifi, but I figured I just didn't notice the lag because I play offline so rarely.

Top Bottom