• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
if your opponent is worth their salt (whatever that means) they should be able to SDI the Uair and you can't directly followup with anything after that. Dthrow->possible Uptilt is usually a better option, or Fthrow, Uair, and then prepare to chase them into the air or something.

Basically, Fthrow->uair is a 2008 combo that is so old and well-known that everyone should know how to get out of it, so you shouldn't rely on it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
if your opponent is worth their salt (whatever that means) they should be able to SDI the Uair and you can't directly followup with anything after that. Dthrow->possible Uptilt is usually a better option, or Fthrow, Uair, and then prepare to chase them into the air or something.

Basically, Fthrow->uair is a 2008 combo that is so old and well-known that everyone should know how to get out of it, so you shouldn't rely on it.
To be fair, if you mix up your throws, people won't be expecting it and don't always DI it right, so I still occasionally get it. Also, it works better online.

That being said, Dthrow followups/mindgames tend to be better overall.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Fthrow>uair is still a good combo, even if it's a '2008' one. I use it from time to time to mix it up, and even if they DI we have follow-ups that are guaranteed if they try to SDI the uair (fthrow>fair WoP... Very nice).

Automatic... MogX takes his MARTH to BF?! Wow... the man must have steel testicles. That being said, that sounds good to me. Picto isn't legal, and it leaves all my other CPs open.
I'm also guilty of that... I bring everyone there if I'm sure I'd do better there than on a counterpick, even MKs/Snakes/DDDs/whoever else loves platforms more than Kirby. I feel like Kirby's wayyy too ****ing good there, waaay better than too many other people. Aircamping opponents and baiting them to do what you want is easy to do with 3 stationary platforms and no hazards!

So guyz, I heard Kewkky plays Brawl+
Or Brawl is my friend and has me on his buddylist.

I tried B+, only thing I liked was Squirtle and his combo-happy sexyness. :urg:

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
So I gotta ask, has Kirby's metagame developed at all, or is Brawl truly as dead as cynics would have me believe. If so, hey, I'll have no problem magically going pro at all, derp.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Played some more matches on AiB today... grand total of 4 snake opponents, 2 falcos, a pikachu and an ike. Beat all but 2 snakes and 1 falco.

Spamming laser and side b on wifi is a **** move. I managed to beat him, but I almost had to run out the clock, and I don't think I've ever done that.
It pisses me off how it's almost impossible to Inhale falco, and once you do, I always seem to get the power knocked out of me after one or two hits. Luck is bull****.

And Snake is so rigged. I hate dying to upsmash.
Only real john is wifi though, I would've 2-0ed all 8 of those people offline :mad:

edit: the metagame changes for other characters...Kirby is just "don't get *****"

I forgot to mention that I think I ended up going Battlefield first against all 4 Snakes. It's not bad, unless wifi causes you to just stand there and get utilted instead of fallthrough Bairs or whatever you tell it to do.

**** wifi

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So I gotta ask, has Kirby's metagame developed at all, or is Brawl truly as dead as cynics would have me believe. If so, hey, I'll have no problem magically going pro at all, derp.
Kirby's developments are all based on the player's ability to outplay their opponents. Sadly, the only way you can win tourneys is if you're a ****ing great mind-reading player, and have a great reaction time to compliment the former. The best way to progress with Kirby is to get used to faster-paced characters, then move back to Kirby every once in a while to 'get the rust off', your reaction time will increase before you know it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well Kewkky, I agree with BF being amazing, but it IS Marth's best stage. That's like taking Diddy to FD, or Oli to Mansion.

Against a lot of people I love BF, but Marth isn't one of them. (Though I prefer my CPs to it any day.)

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I'm also guilty of that... I bring everyone there if I'm sure I'd do better there than on a counterpick, even MKs/Snakes/DDDs/whoever else loves platforms more than Kirby. I feel like Kirby's wayyy too ****ing good there, waaay better than too many other people. Aircamping opponents and baiting them to do what you want is easy to do with 3 stationary platforms and no hazards!
Yeah BF is my CP when I play Kirby but I'll go Pictochat when the player is that much better that I have to take him to a gay stage to practically make it a coin flip.

I 3 stocked Nene's Marth on Pictochat in tournament this one time, that broke him on the third game. As pika I like Halberd and FD but I wouldnt play Pika against Marth, Lucario or any other match I dont feel comfortable even if its a good MU.

EDIT: Is anyone attending winter game fest in San Diego, CA?

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Well, I agree with BF PS1 being amazing, and it IS Marth's Kirby's best stage (or about tied with some others). Taking anyone there is like taking Diddy to FD RC, or Oli to Mansion FO.

Against a lot of people everyone I love BF PS1, and Marth is one of them. (I prefer it to my other CPs any day.)
Major fixed? Though I've been out of the "OMG look at tons of threads" scene long enough that I'm not sure those are actually good CPs vs Diddy and Oli. xD

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Ahhh mahhh Gaaaad, it's almost Pound4, and I'm playing better than ever! Good God I love ZSS with her crazy ****ing melee-esque speed, and Kirby with his butt-****** bait-and-punishment options. COMBO CHARACTERS FTW! ~~Hype~~

Np, A1, you got the CPs right. ;)

And Fromundaman, Marth is hell on BF... But I still take him there cuz I know how to abuse the stage very well (they will too, but that's not the point), and I don't plan on letting a random hazard kill ME instead of Marth when I predicted otherwise. :mad:

... I might CP Pierce to a nasty stage if he beats me though. If I beat him on the first round, then he CPs BF, I will be overjoyed since both ZSS and Kirby are *************************** on that stage. :bee:

I'm so hyped

EDIT: By the way, supposedly this will be the livestream http://www.ustream.tv/channel/vg-boo...awl-tournament
Obviously it's not active cuz it's not Pound4 yet, but just to get the link to the other Kirbies...

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Tiersie: Pikachu, Snake, Marth and ZZS are good secondaries for Kirby. I kinda want to add DK to the list but not rly.

Fro: Marth may be good on BF but as long as you outplay the opponent (which is what Kirby is all about) you got this. If you are still looking for a good CP (even though Kirby has like no bad stages) Castle Siege should be good since nobody is used to playing there. In the end your CP is the level where YOU know YOU can take a game from YOUR oponent.

I havent really been playing lately so instead of Pika I might actually go all Kirby (or at least mostly) on Saturday and Sunday (this weekend, not last month) at the original Winter Game Fest now in it's 5th year in San Diego, Ca... NOT IN FLORIDA!!!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Played some more matches on AiB today... grand total of 4 snake opponents, 2 falcos, a pikachu and an ike.
That sounds like the best prize to have, I would love to play against these characters, especially with four Snake. It always brings me joy how they think Kirby is such an easy target for them just because it's wifi. =3

Sadly, most I play on AiB is Wario, Donkey Kong, and Lucaro, (bad characters to play against on Wifi). x_x

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
About secondaries, does it have it's own discussion? And while I'm at it, I was gonna do Lucario as my secondary, seeing as he's the 2nd best thing I can play as (not saying much though :(), what do you guys think?

Yeah, so I guess I should stick with it, seeing as wifi is all I can play (no car=no tourneys) but it seems like the Kirby game is encompassed in the nest sentence:

Start the match with grab combs, insert B-airs whenever available, up tilt and f-tilt to rack up damage along with various aerials, then f-smash for kill.

I'm probably missing a few things, but from what I've read seen people say, that's the jist of it. Which to me is a little sad. Is it really that simple? I love the marshmallow, but if something doesn't come along to change this, we're doomed at c-tier, at best.

*turns to happy-block to protect from flames*

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
About secondaries, does it have it's own discussion? And while I'm at it, I was gonna do Lucario as my secondary, seeing as he's the 2nd best thing I can play as (not saying much though :(), what do you guys think?
It's not a bad idea, but Lucario has a couple of weaknesses you'd like to cover up as well... He's no better at the MK/Snake matchups than Kirby is (out of bias, I'd say Kirby does better at both MUs), for example, so you'd still be going for uphill battles against them...

You get to have Olimar under control though, hurray for not losing to underused characters! :lick:

Start the match with grab combs, insert B-airs whenever available, up tilt and f-tilt to rack up damage along with various aerials, then f-smash for kill.

I'm probably missing a few things, but from what I've read seen people say, that's the jist of it. Which to me is a little sad. Is it really that simple? I love the marshmallow, but if something doesn't come along to change this, we're doomed at c-tier, at best.
Well, if you look at it from a large perspective, yes Kirby's just that. But if you look at it from a microscope and count all of its legs and see lots of details, Kirby is literally one of the best at baiting and punishing opponents. Him being Kirby is enough to get people to try and attack him, since he's light and supposedly 'dies early'. This in and of itself is enough for people to throw out attacks underestimating Kirby's ranges, and that leads to us gaining advantages. We also have aircamping options similar to MK (no dair for us though, we have bair instead), and heavy punishment options for whoever is dumb enough to expect us to be dumber (kirbicides, dair>footstools, you name it).

Uhh... I lost my train of thought. Well, in conclusion: Kirby is great, and definitely high tier material. :D

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
It's not a bad idea, but Lucario has a couple of weaknesses you'd like to cover up as well... He's no better at the MK/Snake matchups than Kirby is (out of bias, I'd say Kirby does better at both MUs), for example, so you'd still be going for uphill battles against them...

You get to have Olimar under control though, hurray for not losing to underused characters! :lick:

Well, if you look at it from a large perspective, yes Kirby's just that. But if you look at it from a microscope and count all of its legs and see lots of details, Kirby is literally one of the best at baiting and punishing opponents. Him being Kirby is enough to get people to try and attack him, since he's light and supposedly 'dies early'. This in and of itself is enough for people to throw out attacks underestimating Kirby's ranges, and that leads to us gaining advantages. We also have aircamping options similar to MK (no dair for us though, we have bair instead), and heavy punishment options for whoever is dumb enough to expect us to be dumber (kirbicides, dair>footstools, you name it).

Uhh... I lost my train of thought. Well, in conclusion: Kirby is great, and definitely high tier material. :D
I get the picture, but I always feel like there's just something I simply haven't learned because I seem to have a hard time believing that it's so simple. I guess it works, but it's not like they make complete video tutorials how to play :kirby2:, so i'm just gonna have to suck less...

I hate doing that...

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Tiersie, Olimar would be a great choice. He doesn't do bad against any of kirby's bad matchups except Marth.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Hm, this gives me an idea, we should keep a secondary ranking list based on comparitive matchups!

Speaking of matchups, are there going to be any more of those summaries? I can't deal with reading page after page of posts.

So anyway, I was also considering Pit, Pikachu, Game and Watch, or Lucario as my secondary, can I get some feedback from good Kirbies.

(P.S. Asdioh, please don't put our ladder matches on the video page, I get lol'd at enough as it is...)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Out of all of those, I'd suggest Pikachu. It's a personal opinion, but if you master him you should do better against Kirby's near-even MUs, as well as a majority of his bad MUs. Sure, there's still a few blind spots, but that's the story behind maining 2 people.

I have to say though, ZSS covers me exceptionally well. Ling Ling kept beating my Kirby back when I dropped ZSS to learn Kirby faster... Then when I went back to ZSS I felt invincible, and I have been close in all our matches ever since (as well as beaten him many times, no idea if we go even since I don't count the wins). She literally 'clicks' with my playstyle, which is 'get in there, **** **** ****, and don't let them get away! If they try to run away, help them with a strong attack!'... I love that playstyle.

And Kirby is pretty difficult to break past limits with, I assure you... He seems like a character with a low ceiling, and breaking past that limiter takes a while and lots of dedication... But it can be done, and the rewards are very nice. Just keep your hopes up, improve your player skills (reaction time, prediction skills, eye-hand coordinations, finger dexterity... I recommend fast characters), and you'll find yourself doing better with ALL the characters!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Tiersie: Pikachu, Snake, Marth and ZZS are good secondaries for Kirby. I kinda want to add DK to the list but not rly.

Fro: Marth may be good on BF but as long as you outplay the opponent (which is what Kirby is all about) you got this. If you are still looking for a good CP (even though Kirby has like no bad stages) Castle Siege should be good since nobody is used to playing there. In the end your CP is the level where YOU know YOU can take a game from YOUR oponent.

I havent really been playing lately so instead of Pika I might actually go all Kirby (or at least mostly) on Saturday and Sunday (this weekend, not last month) at the original Winter Game Fest now in it's 5th year in San Diego, Ca... NOT IN FLORIDA!!!
I agree, but the point in CPing is to maximize your advantages, hence, I would not take a Marth to BF.

A1, you know me too well ;)
Ironically though, that's not the CP I was thinking of using.

Finally, I agree with Kewkky's post. Also, work on just playing faster in general. It helps a lot.
I personally second Mario, and while it helps me improve my Kirby, it doesn't do much for my MUs. Kirby covers Mario's bad MUs... Mario does not cover Kirby's bad MUs :(

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Before I main just Kirby and every Mario characters, now the only Mario character I use is Mario for strange reasons. There's too many characters I like to use in Brawl. )=

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I like how no one directly answered if anything has actually changed for Kirby, they just gave me summaries for stuff I already knew.
We have to pass the 10-letter count, so to make it seem like we're not just +1... :rolleyes:

No, nothing has changed.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That is pretty awesome... And situational.

Of course, couldn't you just start a QAC lock from the Uair>Footstool?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yes, and it's an infinite by itself, however it's hardly doable.

I might try a fast character then, But who exactly are qualified as fast? ZSS, Diddy, (olimar?)..?
ZSS, Diddy, MK, Sheik... I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that requires good reaction speed to play. Other lesser characters would be Fox, Falco, Marth, Wario and maybe Sonic (since he's got limited options, I'm not sure if he would be considered 'overall fast'... Yes in speed, but on everything else I dunno...).

I put em in no order, so take your pick and play away! After you learn the character well enough (and I mean WELL enough, being obviously an understatement to "very good" or "as good as you can be") and you go back to Kirby, you will feel like a new man and play waaaay better. This is the truth, I've done it and it works. :)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Pennsylvania is kind of right next to Ohio.

What's the problem?

I know Virginia is a stupidly long (horizontal) state, since I've driven through it many times on my IN->CT and CT->IN trips, but for a national tourney it won't be bad...

edit: apparently I said "Tennessee" ._.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh, of course it's in friggin' Ohio...

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
What's MW stand for?
Momma Watcher

Alright Peeps...this is my last post til I return from Pound 4... Kewkky and Fromundaman, let's do well by showing them that Kirby is much better than he's placed on the Tier List... and if our swords cross...lets give it all we got...

I hope you all have a safe flight, drive, and arrival at Pound 4... Lets do it big baby!!!
I'll see most of you Friday and the rest of you Saturday... Take Care....

and Most important...........GOD KAIS!!!!

Top Bottom