• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken Masters: The Ultimate Echo (Street) Fighter

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love what they did with Ken, but I disagree with him being an Echo. So many of his moves seem wildly different from Ryu. At any rate, as a Ryu main, I am excited to try Ken!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hadn’t thought of that one; pretty cool! But if an actual NvC game were to exist, catch me eating all my clothes.
Nintendo vs. Capcom is one of those things I never knew I wanted until someone said it out loud, then it became the only thing I ever wanted.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We just got a glimpse of the first Street Fighter spirit seen so far, at 2:49:

Perhaps somewhat fittingly, it's M. Bison.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
We just got a glimpse of the first Street Fighter spirit seen so far, at 2:49:

Perhaps somewhat fittingly, it's M. Bison.
Also, Charlie Nash at 2:36, Vega at 3:11, Blanka at 3:35, and E. Honda at 3:42.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
any thoughts on ken's moves ?
Pretty satisfied with how he turned out for the most part. Ryu has always been a fun character for me, but he was never really that viable in his home series since he didn't have the mobility that Ken had (basically, Ken is to Mario as Ryu is to Dr. Mario). So I'm pretty excited to try him out, despite my hatred for him as a scrub character in the Street Fighter games, lol. I get they were trying to give him his appearance from Super SF2 Turbo, but it would've been cooler to see more MvC references besides his Shinryuken, such as his "Zanku" Hadoken and his crazy Tatsu. My only real gripe is that it would've been cooler for Ken's up-close Final Smash to be Guren Enjinkyaku instead of Shippu Jinraikyaku, but I can understand why Sakurai wouldn't want to use SFV elements.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Honestly I love him, and it's funny how as far as echoes goes, Ken is the most non-echo one

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
If you’re talking about Super Turbo, then yes. He should have a two-hit overhead like Ryu’s Collarbone Breaker as his heavy forward tilt.
In Turbo.... Ken's round house is a command. In smash Ryu's round house is simply Heavy-Neutral-A. Will that be a command?

StormC

Smash Hero
Y'know, I always liked Ken, but he just seemed like such a no brainer addition the thought of it wasn't super exciting to me. But actually seeing him in the game is pretty damn cool. He's probably the most iconic newcomer in this game and they went with his best design, so I'm happy on all those fronts.

I've always preferred him to Ryu so I'll definitely be taking him for a spin. Or a Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, rather.

Last edited:

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
Remember that moves are based on how long you hold the button. I doubt they’ll be command inputs.
I really think they are in there man. but hey i may be wrong, so here's hoping. check it out. he stil have hard forward tilt in this video. It's not replaced with one of the commands input kicks.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So, uh... any reason that this thread hasn't been stickied yet? All the other echoes had their support threads stickied and turned into social threads.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, uh... any reason that this thread hasn't been stickied yet? All the other echoes had their support threads stickied and turned into social threads.
Thanks for pointing that out; I just stickied it.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
https://youtu.be/oroapSPtDas?t=355

People were dissing on Ken's Shoryuken, but god damn it looks strong.
Yeah. Even the late hitbox of Ken's Heavy Shoryuken was strong enough to kill Dedede at around 100%. Tho that could be because this was 8-player mode, assuming that the blast zones tend to be smaller than normal on 8-player stages in ultimate just like in Smash 4 unless I'm mistaken.

Castell

Smash Rookie
NNID
Castell
3DS FC
5172-2314-1551
Got a chance to play Ken in a Smash Ultimate Demo. Some changes that I haven't seen mentioned before:

No Red Fireball. Doing HCF B didn't seem to do anything. I could have done a mis input since I'm not used to pro controller but I'm fairly certain Ken doesn't have Shakunetsu since he's never had it before.

No Collarbone breaker. Doing heavy F tilt instead did this straight punch, kinda like Ken's Stand Medium Punch in SFV here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5c4UCeivg#t=5s. Don't know if it does extra shield damage but it seemed to have a pretty good amount of knockback for how fast and short range it was.

Different Up-air. Ken's up-air is his jump Light Kick (SFV Animation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5c4UCeivg#t=2m30s).

Only got a chance to play with Ken in a 2 min FFA match so sorry for not testing out everything. I'm pretty sure his Heavy Uptilt, Light Uptilt, Heavy Dtilit, light Dtilt, Down Smash, Fair, Bair, Nair, and Dair are the same as Ryu, don't know if there's a difference in damage/frame data. I know Ken had a unique Kick animation in one of the trailers so he might have a different Upsmash than Ryu but I didn't try that out.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Got a chance to play Ken in a Smash Ultimate Demo. Some changes that I haven't seen mentioned before:

No Red Fireball. Doing HCF B didn't seem to do anything. I could have done a mis input since I'm not used to pro controller but I'm fairly certain Ken doesn't have Shakunetsu since he's never had it before.

No Collarbone breaker. Doing heavy F tilt instead did this straight punch, kinda like Ken's Stand Medium Punch in SFV here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5c4UCeivg#t=5s. Don't know if it does extra shield damage but it seemed to have a pretty good amount of knockback for how fast and short range it was.

Different Up-air. Ken's up-air is his jump Light Kick (SFV Animation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5c4UCeivg#t=2m30s).

Only got a chance to play with Ken in a 2 min FFA match so sorry for not testing out everything. I'm pretty sure his Heavy Uptilt, Light Uptilt, Heavy Dtilit, light Dtilt, Down Smash, Fair, Bair, Nair, and Dair are the same as Ryu, don't know if there's a difference in damage/frame data. I know Ken had a unique Kick animation in one of the trailers so he might have a different Upsmash than Ryu but I didn't try that out.
Smash wiki claims he has Nata Otoshi Geri in place of Shakunetsu. Though I don't know if that used the same input as Shakunetsu.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so does anyone know what the name of ken's classic mode is in japan? cause if its the same as in english they did not stick to the theme

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Does anyone have the kill percents for Ken's Shoryuken? Particularily on King Dedede, I'm curious if he dies earlier or later vs it than Ryu's.

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
Why do my opponents leave themselves open after the Crescent Kick to Hadouken. Is this a bait setup?

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Anyone else having jab issues since 2.0? I have people shielding, spot dodging and counterjabbing after the second hit of my jab.

It has broken my gameplay apart.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Eh. Jab is not even amazing unless you are comboing into Shoryu or Tatsu. And you need to be fast.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Eh. Jab is not even amazing unless you are comboing into Shoryu or Tatsu. And you need to be fast.
Doesn’t matter what you do. Since 2.0, after the second jab, they can shield. Jab to specials, command inputs and whathaveyou.

Edit: to clarify, I’ve had his jab confirm timing down since day 1. It isn’t an issue of my input timing, it’s the change they made to Ken’s jab to allow the second jab to connect better against airborne targets. For some reason, it also made it terrible against grounded opponents who can now react out of it if they are quick.
Emblem Lord Emblem Lord Jab is amazing for NOG to down tilt and then roundhouse kill confirm

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If it's not consistent then it's not amazing. You should make the appropriate adjustments to your gameplay. I have had the same experiences. Yes it sucks. Change your gameplay and hope Nintendo fixes it.

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of being inconsistant. I'm working on rising tatsumaki as a tribute to mvc2 Ken. There is a small window where it can be true from jumping tatsu to shoryuken. I personally need more practice, but I made a montage about it anyway.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
If it's not consistent then it's not amazing. You should make the appropriate adjustments to your gameplay. I have had the same experiences. Yes it sucks. Change your gameplay and hope Nintendo fixes it.
I was just asking if anyone else was experiencing it. It WAS consistent. Now it isn’t. Adjusting is common sense.

I think you answered my question, though. Lol

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I saw that Ken and Ryu both received a lot of buffs in the most recent update. Will we start seeing the two fighters more after this patch?
They are insane....so yeah. Ken can kill with a focus combo at 10%. Guaranteed shield poke and shield breaks. He’s nuts.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I love what they did with Ken, but I disagree with him being an Echo. So many of his moves seem wildly different from Ryu. At any rate, as a Ryu main, I am excited to try Ken!
I agree. I don't think Ken should be considered a Ryu echo, because his moveset is too dissimilar for him to be a full-clone of Ryu. But I'm glad he's a playable character.

I'm not upset nor complaining, but one thing that surprises me is that Megaman is more iconic than Ryu, but Ken is more iconic than Protoman. Why is this?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I agree. I don't think Ken should be considered a Ryu echo, because his moveset is too dissimilar for him to be a full-clone of Ryu. But I'm glad he's a playable character.

I'm not upset nor complaining, but one thing that surprises me is that Megaman is more iconic than Ryu, but Ken is more iconic than Protoman. Why is this?
Ignoring the "more iconic" bit, Ken's likely more well-known than Proto Man because Ken's been in every Street Fighter game from the beginning (even Street Fighter 1), while Proto Man's attendance is spotty. He wasn't there for Mega Man 1, Mega Man 2 (arguably the best-known game in the series, from my limited experience, or at least the one where the series really took off in popularity), Mega Man 9 (outside of DLC, which not everybody buys), and Mega Man 11 (the big-budget revival of the series), at the very least. (and that's not even counting spin-off series like Mega Man X or Legends)

Top Bottom