• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

Moonwalker

Smash Cadet
Saints Row 3 is pretty much the greatest ever, thanks for the heads up Dmac! Z, Chef and I will definitely be there tomorrow, food and drinks in tow.

only1Z

Smash Champion
I'll be out in kc for some things tonight adam, don't worry about me until tomorrow getting me home!

Jace08

Smash Lord
yeah sorry about that. I can't re-upload to youtube though, they'd just take it down again. Their copyright detection is too stronk

maybe I'll try putting it on vimeo or something

only1Z

Smash Champion
I'll pick up fitness trainer as a secondary to Megaman so I can troll fatties, I want to troll absurd fanboys first.

Lets go see Superman~

Moonwalker

Smash Cadet
Yeah I was all about Megaman, but then the best announcment yet happened. Guess we're all maining Wii Fit Trainer then, it's all about that ax stomp. Alzo Z, shouldn't you be just as/if not more hyped for KH3?

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
I'm actually interested in the possibilities behind Villager. For instance, if an Animal Crossing were to be made for the WiiU, you could use that Villager in that game which is designed by you. Even an AC stage could be based on your village. Just thoughts. lol

only1Z

Smash Champion
I don't like talking to others about it...and I don't get hype for tech demo's. FFXV is currently standing in my way *which i'm intensely hype for* for the KH3 release.

Moonwalker

Smash Cadet
Ah that makes sense man, my bad. I'm personally more hyped for Majora's Mask feat. Lightning because that char is 2flawless. We'll be there Massive, although I'm leaving around 11pm because work :(

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
I dunno, man. Even if Square Enix were to make a sequel to Majora's Mask with Lightning in it, the Zelda series has been known to crash and burn when given to another developer other than Nintendo...

HYPE

Moonwalker

Smash Cadet
Yo, I thought Capcom did a pretty alright job with their Zeldas. That said, I meant that the next bad final fantasy that isn't XV involves beating the game within a certain amount of days, npcs and quests showing up only at certain days, and time travel. There's also going to be clocks shoved on every wall and corner in game to represent time.. (SUBTLETY!)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
man smashboards stopped giving me notifications of this for like a week, wtf.

i'll prolly be at smash again this weekend, though i'm goin to maxout too. gotta get in that AE practice so I'm not quite as fraudulent for EVO :yeahboi:

also it seems like people are actually caring about hype! 3 and it works as a nice pre-EVO tourney for us. we've got dudes coming from texas, chicago, rolla, st. louis, nebraska, and prolly alabama for project m & melee including dope & tink. any sort of support on setups or if you're able to, housing people would be mucho appreciated. lemme know if you can help.

Moonwalker

Smash Cadet
So I'm definitely going to check out the rest of the boards and don't mean to bug you guys with this, but any small tips on how to improve one's Sheik?

Jace08

Smash Lord
hope you all had a good weekend! sorry for not responding guys my phone always dies at tournaments. I'll bring a charger for now on

maaaaaan rfrizzle I hope that's not "evidence" of a claim that silent wolf is better than PewPewU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nr2hrVoBbA

I dunno how all their sets have gone, but I think PewPewU is better. His marth does the sickest stuff out of nowhere

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So I'm definitely going to check out the rest of the boards and don't mean to bug you guys with this, but any small tips on how to improve one's Sheik?
sheik is a very fundamentals-heavy character. there's no unfairness or bull**** you need to be exploiting to make the most of her. there's not a particular lack in anything, she's simply good and fair. you'll perform better with her the better you get as a player. not really much i can say otherwise that isn't obvious.

on another note, does anyone have a ps3-compatible fightstick i can use for evo? mine has been acting up lately

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
Jace why always gotta come in with
ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT PEOPLES HOTEL ROOM AVAILABILITY (subtle poke)
that was "evidence" of shine->wd->dash->jcgrab working on Marth
unless I was being vague and those two really thought I meant I thought just shine->wd grab worked in which case I need more fox knowledge and am very sorry for being a vague little kid

Also MoonWalker (your names Adam imo but whatevs guess it was taken) I'm in the same boat as you where I'm still learning the importance of good fundamentals over flair (even though cf ends up making me overcentralize aspects of my game imo leaving a lot of stuff lacking still) but learn the character inside and out is the fastest way to get some significant improvement, also try to learn to play as dynamically as possible. I'm not suggesting you spam frame knowledge stuff even though that can definitely help out in a few areas. a few big things is learn to nair oos like super duper fast watch darkatma vs kels at SCSYN this year or like KK or M2K vids (I just like Darkatma because midwest4life) and learn when it is okay to shield-grab and when it's not, this is mostly important against spacies but it'll keep you from getting your butt touched by anyone who spacies or does cheesy low aerial-->jab stuff. Learn to cc more, letdown your shield then cc grab stuff idk look at sheik match up boards, watch lots of vids and we'll (we hopefully including a lot of the crew because I like hearing opinions on this sort of stuff) talk more saturday.

Jace08

Smash Lord
oh

I just remember us arguing about those two players at some point

I agree just watch your m2k vids and practice exactly what he's doing. It's a really good starting point

Massive

Smash Champion
PPU is visibily in the "stand" action state after the shine connects, he could've countergrabbed or just hit 'a' to keep silent wolf from followup grabbing.

Again, just because you see it happen doesnt mean it's safe.
Really, this is about the same as bowser's koopa-claw release to ftilt: it appears to work on a mixup, but you can actually just hit shield or any quick attack and you will interrupt.
This is like that old argument that waveshine>jab reset is an unbeatable combo for characters that fall (hint: it isn't).

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'm not even kidding, practice easy things like shfflnair because missing that and grabbing/fullhop nair can be the difference between their stock and yours. Switching between retreating bair and b-reverse needles at early % is good too, especially if you can figure out a way to get a reset or a grab chance out of it.

reading peoples rolls on d-throw is very important, a lot of people will try to start out going to the left/right and then roll the other way to kind of trick you, but don't get conditioned to fall for that habit, you'll get get up attacked.

darkatma

Smash Hero
If you want to learn sheik fundamentals, watching m2k is not a good way to start. I don't personally believe sheik is better near the ledge, but m2k plays her that way because of his influence from his marth years. That and her gimp game from a back throw is solid.

Possibly the best place to start is with fundamentals:
-Figure out sheik's max distances that her ftilt, dtilt, dash attack can hit from. Oftentimes playing sheik is a matter of spacing so you don't get shieldgrabbed.
-Can you do the 4 frame short hop? It's a bit harder than ganon (7 frame) and falcon (5 frame). If you can, learn to do fairs, bairs, and nairs at various heights with and without fastfall.
-Learn autocombos with sheik: when does dash attack connect into upair/fair? Same with ftilt and dtilt. What can you do out of grab vs a floaty? What about a fastfaller?

I do think that sheik is one of the harder characters to practice without human interaction, unlike fox and falco. Much of her game is reactionary and her combos, aside from the 2-3 hit autocombo ones, tend to be less rigid.

Edit: me and KK both think Swedish Delight is probably the top US sheik right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmA5CVou6-w for some amazing fundamentals.

Phatgamer1

Smash Lord
I guess I need to start practicing for this tournament coming up in a couple of weeks. Anyone fishing for an old washed up sheik that may or may not still be able to put it down?

darkatma

Smash Hero
Jace, just letting you know as early as possible, Deku has expressed interest in Get Hype 3, but he won't confirm till 3-4 days later if he wants to go. You should start looking for other solid teammates in the meantime.

Massive

Smash Champion
I hosted the last 3 weeks back-to-back.

Pretty sure it's not at my place, lol.

Also, anybody want to team with me at this Lawrence tourney?
I am open to the gamut of possibilities from TEAM RAMPAGE to just being a grab-rest *****.

Top Bottom