• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

town913

Smash Cadet
We could always do singles at Massive smash. Everyone just goes tournament hard and that way I don't have to feel as bad about losing since I didn't spend any money haha.

Massive

Smash Champion
We could always do singles at Massive smash. Everyone just goes tournament hard and that way I don't have to feel as bad about losing since I didn't spend any money haha.
We used to quite frequently. Nobody really cares that much.

We need to have another E52 though, and not some fake 15 person one in a church in Lawrence.

If anybody is going to JCCC, they can get probably get us a discounted rate. FYI It is $1000 for non-student rental of the space (Regnier Center) we had before, if memory serves Duck got it for either very cheap or free, but I don't know the details.

I've thought about running another big one here in KC before, but I've never really found any decent event space (although that building in NKC where that hilarious MIDWEST NET WARZZZZZ thing happened was pretty accommodating... looked cheap too).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
FC's in less than a month, IMO after the barbecue we do seriousish basement tourneys.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
How exactly does Jace rig the bracket...? He seeds it about as well as dmac would; setting it up so Jace vs Darkrain is Winner's Finals is not rigged, just good seeding because they are the two best players. But if people want actual random seeding then we can do that too. Whatever it takes so people actually take it seriously

EDIT: pre-edit Massive post said something like "like Z said Jace rigs the bracket" so I figured it was an actual issue rather than just a joke, so yeah. Dunno if Massive was joking.

Massive

Smash Champion
I've thought about running another big one here in KC before, but I've never really found any decent event space (although that building in NKC where that hilarious MIDWEST NET WARZZZZZ thing happened was pretty accommodating... looked cheap too).
I just checked this place out again, they're $4100 per day.

No wonder we never heard anything else about those tournaments, lol.

Dunno if Massive was joking.
ಠ_ಠ

only1Z

Smash Champion
I want to be such a hater now that Deadpool is big enough to warrant a game and bad movie parts. I reserve all judgement till a future date of actually playing it.

Also this world could do with less VA's that just get every job and do every part.

Jace08

Smash Lord
first time I saw deadpool was when playing xmen legends 2... he's funny but gambit and moon knight were SO much cooler in those games

so dmac gave me a suggestion earlier about doing just $1 singles tourneys at massive's to get our blood pumping again. Gotta get ready for fc. You guys down?

TIME TO RIG ME SOME BRACKETS

only1Z

Smash Champion
No, I am not down. Just give dark $10 and play friendlies all night is what it equates to. Which you'd be fine with....

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
Massive and his damn logic. I'll throw a dollar in so long as we use the computer to make the bracket and Jace has to play young link the whole tournament. But seriously yeah I'll pay stacks.

rei_vincent

Smash Ace
What's wrong with throwing down 1 buck to play some serious matches? Do you guys just not get better anymore? We do it all the time for marvel and sf. That's one of the reasons srk games > smash games. Not enough hunger man... so boring.

only1Z

Smash Champion
If it takes money to make you play seriously then there's probably something wrong with you. I've always had my own personal reasons for why I play, and to get better and win money was not one of them. Doesn't help that I usually couldn't make it into the pot anyways. Training has always been counter productive to my play style and how I enjoy my time.

I would rather spend my time with the smash crew a thousand times over then the SRK kids. I only speak for myself of course, when you have people like dark, dmac, and jace running around it's hard to say what the overall 'goal' of playing together is or was. If we had 'hunger' we'd all play brawl cause that's where the money is at.

I feel like I usually respond to these kind of comments often cause I take it personally. I've been at it a long time and I enjoy myself but I'm pretty sure it is not a fair comparison to say that a handful of fighting games has a more competitive scene than ****ing smash brothers melee.
A scene for our game shouldn't even exist and it has been on life support for years.

Massive

Smash Champion
A scene for our game shouldn't even exist and it has been on life support for years.
Z speaks such truth.

The average lifespan of the average melee crews is probably right around a year. Our crew is special in that we're all actually bros outside the game, without that crews dissolve into nothing once the main people lose their core interest in the game.

Also, UMVC3 was released in November of last year, regular MVC3 was that previous February. Given another year, I can almost guarantee Raith probably won't even want to play it anymore. I remember him starting and quitting MVC3 repeatedly in the last year, just like he did with smash and street fighter in years past.

It's not a trait unique to him either, I challenge anybody (sans Asperger's or Jaceington's) to stay 'hungry' for a game for more than a year or two, let alone the 8+ years this crew has existed.

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
Where'd you pull that name from? Turley was finishing school and got into Yugioh instead. Where winning is a direct correlation of money put in + luck of the draw.
jturley? Wait, Josh Turley? I remember that name... And yeah, it's true, he converted over to Yugioh. I'm into Yugioh as well as Smash Bros. Also, winning in Yugioh usally just involves playing the most broken deck in the current format with a tiiiiiiny hint of skill. Luck usually has nothing to do with it.

only1Z

Smash Champion
Just because you couldn't come to Massive's, Markis, doesn't mean it died. We still went to what was most logical to be traveled to based on interest. Genesis, Smym, FC that's coming up. Little fits here and there with Nebraska.

only1Z

Smash Champion
I reaaaaaally don't like kids, haha. Just feels like people really don't understand what we do cause they're not around.
We get fresh blood and some of us are failing you cause our time is up. We'll always be awesome, but you'll have to look towards jace *dmac when he gets back* for guidance.

Top Bottom