• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Do you guys have any tournaments to go to in November? A guy just posted on the SRK thread about a tourney in Columbia on Nov. 5th. Not very many details yet, I don't think he even has a thread yet but I just wanted to give some heads up.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Metaknight has been banned in Melee tournaments since 2010, idk what the fuss is about.

Massive

Smash Champion
I lol'd pretty hard when I heard the news.

It has made Brawl even more of a joke to the traditional fighting game communities now.

rei_vincent

Smash Ace
Yeah I only saw it because of SRK, but all in all, at least it makes that game somewhat tourney viable... LOL. Good changes though, just as long as you don't mind playing a boring *** game.

dmac

Smash Champion
yeah i'm really interested in seeing how the metaknight players adapt(if they even choose to continue playing, i'd be super salty)

jace just come over and play castlevania harmony of DESPAIR all night

only1Z

Smash Champion
Real games, what are those...The thread is full of EU qq and mocking us for seeing the need to ban MK. I'm going to assume m2k will still have a vice grip on the tourney scene though. Long live our new lords masters. Snake and DeDeDe

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
ill be honest. mk being banned does not change the game. all the *****ing mid level players will still be bad mid level players, this bad game will still be bad, and it will still be boring. the problem is brawl not mk

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I lol'd pretty hard when I heard the news.

It has made Brawl even more of a joke to the traditional fighting game communities now.
Would like to point out that the BEST VERSION OF STREET FIGHTER EVER EVER EVER has a character banned. Does that make it a joke? Brawl is bad (mostly due to the competitive rules), but banning MK doesn't make it a bad game, it makes the rules committee bad, especially since they are catering towards the characters they play :/

Didn't see raptors post until after I posted that...banning IC's CG=rofl. That's different than infinite's imo.

rei_vincent

Smash Ace
Best version of street fighter is sf2? roflololol. You're also comparing a game that was made before competitive gaming existed to a game made like 3 years ago

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Well, Super Street Fighter 2, one of the few people who actually played it on the 3DO. That game was the only reason to own that system.

dmac

Smash Champion
just to nitpick, akuma was only in super turbo, not sf2 or super sf2 (fun fact: just banned in america, not japland, there was just a universal agreement to not use him or old sagat)

there was competitive gaming all throughout the sf 2 games, even plain old sf2, and super turbo had enough of a tournament scene to even have hard character bans. just because there weren't national level tournaments doesn't mean there wasn't competitive gaming

if you've seen king of kong a fistful of quarters, they've had competitive vidja gaming since 1983 with like... old *** arcade games

quick wiki action for multiple player competitive gaming on a national level that would be similar to what we think of when we think competitive gaming

"To accompany the launch of Doom II, Microsoft held the first offline tournament for PC players, Deathmatch '95. Deathmatch '95 (aka Judgment Day Deathmatch 95 & Dwango’s Deathmatch 95) was aimed to be a competitive offline gaming tournament featuring the most popular title of the year, Doom II. This format, with gamers attending a single location and using standardized hardware, has defined eSports competitions since."

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I missed the word turbo, that is fact.

Also, I consider getting world records in 1 player games to be competitive gaming, see King of Kong as well. And my attempt at the MM1 record :)

only1Z

Smash Champion
Just because we don't play it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It brings up an interesting topic on the whole variance of competitive fighting games.

Phatgamer1

Smash Lord
**** everyone who said anything about brawl in my topic on its 1000th page.

I'm drunk.

God dammit. Wanted the 15,000th post too. DONT WASTE IT WHOMEVER POSTS AFTER ME!

Top Bottom