• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

papermarkis

Smash Lord
I asked for a random select tournament every single dang Cherry Smash and never got one.

Also random select is much more fun with Smash or Marvel. SSF4 is way too complex to have any fun with a character you've never played before.

Massive

Smash Champion
You're at no more of a disadvantage with random select in SSF4 than you are at smash, we're all just substantially more experienced with every character in smash.

rei_vincent

Smash Ace
Markis is kinda right for once, lol. In Marvel, almost every character has a universal combo and most of them use the same imputs for supers. In melee, all inputs are the exact same for every character, they just have different movesets so the only thing you have to learn is what each character can do. In SSF4, mashing will get you nowhere because combos can't just magically appear. Links make it so that you can't just pick up any character you want in a matter of minutes like in Marvel or Smash. Also frame data and move properties are a lot more important in SSF4 than most fighting games, so it makes it hard to play just based on special moves as well. Of course you can always just pick E. Honda and mash out hands and use headbutt over and over :p

D

Deleted member

if you have good fundamentals then you can play random successfully. if you are good at breaking throws, blocking and anti airing (along with a few other things) then it really doesnt matter what character you play. combos only take you so far, not doing stupid **** is what is going to make you win.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Markis is kinda right for once, lol. In Marvel, almost every character has a universal combo and most of them use the same imputs for supers. In melee, all inputs are the exact same for every character, they just have different movesets so the only thing you have to learn is what each character can do. In SSF4, mashing will get you nowhere because combos can't just magically appear. Links make it so that you can't just pick up any character you want in a matter of minutes like in Marvel or Smash. Also frame data and move properties are a lot more important in SSF4 than most fighting games, so it makes it hard to play just based on special moves as well. Of course you can always just pick E. Honda and mash out hands and use headbutt over and over :p
So you think a new player to the smash world can pick up a character in minutes?

Or how about you wait ten years before saying melee is easier to pick up than Street Fighter Four. I mean seriously, you're claiming that a ten year old game is easier to pick up than one thats been out for a few months. Of course it seems to easy to pick up, most of us have been playing for years. Have you ever tried to teach melee to somebody that's never played a smash game before? It's like teaching chess. Street Fighter is like checkers dude.

rei_vincent

Smash Ace
Arkive you still have to know what your anti airs ARE. But yeah, if you know what to do to win, then you can win with no experience whatsoever, but get real, 99% of people don't know what they're doing when they pick up a new game... People that have been playing Street Fighter for years still can't just pick up a new character and know their links right off the bat, things in street fighter take time in training mode to pull off successfully because every single thing is differently timed in that game. Marvel has a basis to all combos and smash is basically a freestyle fest so you don't have to train anything other than beginner tech like l-cancelling. And not once did I say Street Fighter is harder to pick up than smash. I tell Jace every weekend that he should pick up Street Fighter because it doesn't take long to learn. Don't forget we're talking about random select here. And yes, I have taught people to play smash before, have you ever taught Street Fighter, or any other game for that matter?

papermarkis

Smash Lord
SF4 has been around for almost 4 years. Not even close to 2 months. And the series in general has games that pre-date even Smash 64 that are still played. It really seems like you don't know much about SF at all if you're comparing it to checkers.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Once people know how to double jump -> Up-B to save themselves then they're well on their way in Smash, whereas in something like SF4 every character has their own combos and a lot of important things aren't as intuitive as, say, forward+A with Marth = ****.

D

Deleted member

Arkive you still have to know what your anti airs ARE. But yeah, if you know what to do to win, then you can win with no experience whatsoever, but get real, 99% of people don't know what they're doing when they pick up a new game... People that have been playing Street Fighter for years still can't just pick up a new character and know their links right off the bat, things in street fighter take time in training mode to pull off successfully because every single thing is differently timed in that game. Marvel has a basis to all combos and smash is basically a freestyle fest so you don't have to train anything other than beginner tech like l-cancelling. And not once did I say Street Fighter is harder to pick up than smash. I tell Jace every weekend that he should pick up Street Fighter because it doesn't take long to learn. Don't forget we're talking about random select here.
when you first pick up a brand new fighting game series you have no fundamentals. that is why you can't just start playing out random, but once you learn fundamentals and the system, then you can basically play any character after toying with them for a little bit. combos are more of icing on the cake, of course they'll allow you to win more games, but if you don't know how to set up or use your combos they won't really do anything for you. norcal taught me that ****.

So you think a new player to the smash world can pick up a character in minutes?

Or how about you wait ten years before saying melee is easier to pick up than Street Fighter Four. I mean seriously, you're claiming that a ten year old game is easier to pick up than one thats been out for a few months. Of course it seems to easy to pick up, most of us have been playing for years. Have you ever tried to teach melee to somebody that's never played a smash game before? It's like teaching chess. Street Fighter is like checkers dude.
you have no ****ing idea what you're talking about lol. as much as i hate saying this ****, smash is at heart a party game. ssbm was a fluke, a godlike one, but it still doesnt change that it is very accessible and a lot of techniques are universal. the dudes i've grown up with don't play games and i was able to teach them most of the things in melee in a short amount of time.

now getting GOOD at melee is totally different, teaching melee or chess to somebody is easy mode.

rezo

Smash Apprentice
community had so many good lines i had to rewind it a couple times because i was laughing so hard

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Anyone here good at fliers? I haven't heard back from Honda, and Amba is sort of MIA. I want to get some solid floor advertising locally next week :(

I'd do it, but I'm horrible at it. If nobody is good at it, I'll make one myself on Sunday. It'll just be garbage

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Oh crap, sorry I forgot to get back to you Lux — yeah I'm not going to be able to do anything this week, too much school stuff is due soon

Jace08

Smash Lord
Lux I did a flier for my Sakurai Can't SHFFL tourney in lawrence. It doesn't have to be good, but if you want any help with it hit me up

so we have a tourney in a week guys. Can we please let it be jace 0'clock tonight lol? We gotta get ready, we've been slacking the last... hmm 5 months lol

Massive

Smash Champion
Lux I did a flier for my Sakurai Can't SHFFL tourney in lawrence. It doesn't have to be good, but if you want any help with it hit me up

so we have a tourney in a week guys. Can we please let it be jace 0'clock tonight lol? We gotta get ready, we've been slacking the last... hmm 5 months lol
We don't slack. It's mindgame training.

Luigi182

Smash Rookie
Hello! Heard from Roblox some time ago ya'll play Smash and other numerous games on Saturdays. I'm interested and would be able to join you guys soon once my Saturdays become more free.

I'm terrible at online intros and such, so I'll keep it short. Some may know me from KC SRK, some may not. I enjoy Smash on occasion tho I'm trash at it. Wouldn't mind learning some new stuff. I also play SSF4, 3 strike, TvC, Pokemon and love SNK fighters.

Not too sure what else to say, so Happy Gaming!

rei_vincent

Smash Ace
Hello! Heardfrom Roblox some time ago ya'll play Smash and other numerous games on Saturdays. I'm interested and would be able to join you guys soon once my Saturdays become more free.

I'm terrible at online intros and such, so I'll keep it short. Some may know me from KC SRK, some may not. I enjoy Smash on occasion tho I'm trash at it. Wouldn't mind learning some new stuff. I also play SSF4, 3 strike, TvC, Pokemon and love SNK fighters.

Not too sure what else to say, so Happy Gaming!

:phone:
Hey there Vince :D

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
meh, tried to make a buster bluth joke but it didnt work
I would've got it.

Hey KC guys I can't make it to E52 (gotta work) but you guys should all try to get some games in with my friend Roman aka Zantetsu. He'll most likely be wearing the coolest shoes at the event (Mario Nike's). He's an up and coming young talent so play him!

Massive

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'd also like to remind dudes that we're having a bit of a mini-smashfest at my place the night before.
M2K will be there with strongbad, everyone is welcome to come by and get some last minute practice as well.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s120/N3cropotence/Event52Flierwhite.jpg

Amba made this flier. If you guys wanted to print a few and post it around places locally (especially people on Lawrence campus, because I actually don't have classes there), that would be great. I've already gotten a few local people interested outside of the normal competitive scene. The more exposure we get means the more games/larger pot :)

Top Bottom